PDA

View Full Version : Anybody for a race?

GRP
22nd Jul 2002, 21:36
Anybody looking for a good weekend of aviating fun in September need look no further than the European Sport Pilot Association race on 7th September from Shoreham to Quimper in Brittany, via Alderney. The last of these races was on June 29th from Kemble to Reims via Deauville and it was good fun! It's not a 'balls-out' race to the finish line - more a case of trying to reach the finish line without deviating from the given route, in the time you declared it would take you, with penalty points awarded for each second either side of the time. Leads to some interesting slow flight towards the end of each leg in most cases!

There were about 20 aircraft taking part in the last one (modesty prevents me from admitting where I came in the pecking order - needless to say I was more surprised than anybody else when the results were announced!)

The point of it all though seems to be to get a bunch of like minded people together and fly somewhere nice for the weekend. There is an informal evening do arranged at Quimper on the saturday evening. Quimper happens to be a fairly nice destination as well.

Check out http://www.esparacing.com for more details (note I am not involved in the organisation of this - just somebody who went along and enjoyed it!)

Hope to see some of you there!!