PDA

View Full Version : Hours building on LAPL?

CrazyScientist
20th Mar 2018, 00:32
Hello

I'm currently hour building towards the prerequisites for starting a CPL(A) course, and have a question regarding these hours.

Unfortunately, for medical reasons, I recently had to surrender my PPL(A) in exchange for a LAPL(A) - hopefully temporarily. I'm hoping to regain Class 1 certification pending an appeal with the CAA, but as I still qualify for LAPL medical certification and due to time pressures (ATPL exams expiry deadline) I decided to continue hour building on a LAPL(A) licence. The idea is to re-apply for a PPL(A) ASAP if my medical certification comes through.

This feels like a silly question with an obvious answer, but I don't want to take even the slightest chance that I'm wrong on this.

Will the hours I'm currently building on SEP class aircraft (PA28 at the moment), with a LAPL(A) licence rather than a PPL(A), still count towards the requirements for the start of a CPL(A) course (100 hours PIC, 200 total before test etc)? My concern is an ICAO Annex 1 compliant PPL(A) is required to start a CPL(A) course, could this requirement also be applicable to the hours built in preparation for that course?

My thoughts are that the regulations state the number of hours required (e.g 100) and the capacity they must be flown under (e.g PIC), and that as long as I have a licence that allows me to legally operate the aircraft in that capacity (LAPL(A) or above, plus SEP rating) it doesn't matter. Am I right?

Thanks,

CS.

rudestuff
20th Mar 2018, 08:13
You are right. You'll need a PPL before you can get a CPL, but what licence you use for hour building is irrelevant.

CrazyScientist
25th Mar 2018, 11:27
Great, thanks for the confirmation!