PDA

View Full Version : Flight computer or basic maths

Seanmul89
19th Mar 2018, 17:06
Hi all,
Just wondering if some of you preferred using the flight computer or basic maths to work conversions or flight planning and performance!
I really can’t grasp the the flight computer, and it frustrates me and confusing !!

I used the basic math with conversions, small calculator and writing it out. I seem to work better in that sense. Should I know my flight computer ? I know the wind side of it but for doing conversions and eta and fuel remaining and so on it frustrates me.

When I done the groundschool using it I was ok at the time, passed the exam also. I’m moving onto cross country in the next week for ppl.

Duchess_Driver
19th Mar 2018, 17:51
There will be those who will shout at you for even thinking about your flight computer but personally I like it. Easy to use 1 handed and no batteries required and, after all, it’s just a ratio wheel!

However, whatever you choose to use, I would strongly recommend ‘ballparking’ it with the old grey-matter first.

Capt Kremmen
19th Mar 2018, 18:09
There are available, several different makes of inexpensive electronic hand held computers that will in a trice solve the triangle of velocities.

Anyone still using a 'whizz wheel' is probably still using a sextant to find their way around !

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Mar 2018, 19:23
I used a circular slide rule at school (the school did have a couple of wind-the-handle adding machines, but only a couple, and they were usually more trouble than they were worth). So imagine my surprise when starting the PPL to discover that knowing how to use a circular slide rule was going to be useful again!

Maoraigh1
19th Mar 2018, 19:35
If you're current with scientific non-programable calculators and trig, use it. I did that to regain my PPL.
Programmable calculators are not allowed in UK CAA exams.

TheOddOne
19th Mar 2018, 19:41
several different makes of inexpensive electronic hand held computers

Please define 'inexpensive'
Mechanical
CRP-1 £48.95
Electronic
CX-3 £89.99
There's the base model CX-2 but it's £58.39, £10 more than a mechanical device.

Couldn't find anything other than the ASA products in a quick search of popular UK equipment providers.

As an instructor, the CRP-1 translates nicely from talking about triangle of velocity theory to a practical way of resolving it. Admittedly the circular sliderule side takes a bit of getting your head round but as DD says, you do need a 'ballpark' answer before you start the calculation anyway, whatever tool you use. Once in practice, the sliderule is quicker than a calculator, same as an abacus is quicker for an adept user.

TOO

Seanmul89
19th Mar 2018, 20:10
Thanks for the replies. I don’t mind using the wind side of the computer and crosswind limit etc but it’s just the conversion side that doesn’t do it for me. Basically their is no harm in doing the math myself instead of the conversion side of the computer?

It was worrying me before I even start nav and x-country ? Don’t know why! When I go through it physically with the instructor I’m sure it’ll come easier each time !!

18greens
19th Mar 2018, 21:14
It’s a fabulous tool. It’s a circular slide rule. Logarithmic scales. A genius invention.

I know button pressing may seem easier but embracing the art of analogue computers is a joyful skill.

Piltdown Man
19th Mar 2018, 21:22
Basic maths, measurement by thumb (or paper and the tick marks along the lattitude scale), sensible guess of angles, trig reduced to .5/7/9 and that’s about it. That will see you alright up to at least a Baron but it still worked for F27 & F50. Never tried it for a jet.

PM

eckhard
19th Mar 2018, 22:01
That all works in a jet too! Citation, 737, 747, A320 and 787.

Try using a calculator or whizz-wheel to work out your crosswind component on short final?
No, I thought not.

Capt Kremmen
20th Mar 2018, 12:12
In return for a modest donation - which I'll leave up to the recipient - to either the Bomber Command Memorial Fund or the Battle of Britain equivalent, my new and unused ASA E6-B flight computer (whizz wheel) is available to anyone who wants it. Maybe a student will give it a comfortable home.

In addition, I have a Casio FX-730P handheld electronic computer, complete with instructions, which is programed to solve the triangle of velocities just as fast as you can press the buttons. I'll first change the batteries to check still in working order. The donation condition applies.

Hope the mods don't object.