PDA

View Full Version : Paid by leg not hour?

effortless
19th Mar 2018, 09:47
Bit of a cock up with EZ last night at Gatwick. Stuck on the plane waiting for de icer which didn't materialise.

Told that crew paid by flight not hours so no pay. Is this right?

FAStoat
19th Mar 2018, 10:03
We used to position to Charleroi (Brussels South!!) on Time To Spare RYANAIR.Loads of times we turned back,yet they had Engineering fascility at Stansted,but the Girls told us the Crew were paid Sector pay.The return Tech Stop gave them an extra sector.We really could not understand the logic of this as many very pissed off passengers were not hapy at all,let alone crews returning back to UK from a 10 day duty period in Liege

EGPFlyer
19th Mar 2018, 10:07
Bit of a cock up with EZ last night at Gatwick. Stuck on the plane waiting for de icer which didn't materialise.

Vast majority of pay is salary so all they will lose is the sector pay (about £30/per nominal sector for a Capt) and commission (for the cabin crew)

Double Hydco
19th Mar 2018, 10:52
I think the cabin crew get a disruption payment?

RAT 5
19th Mar 2018, 12:17
How does any crew payment information get into the pax domain during a flight/delay or at anytime? This is something that should not be discussed outside the crew room. Hence there are suspicions about some of this. I may be wrong, but it would seem inept for crew to open up any can of worms that can be used by pax for compensation during delays.

EGPFlyer
19th Mar 2018, 12:31
I think the cabin crew get a disruption payment?

Yeah, 25 quid I think over 2 hours

Mostly Harmless
19th Mar 2018, 18:21
Paid by leg not hour?

It is quite common. Every airline does it a little differently. As an example, you are paid an hourly wage but you are only paid from doors closed, engines started to doors opened. All work done before or after that is unpaid labour. There are many variations on the theme and I have no idea how this became the standard model of pay but... it sounds about right.

For instance, I could board the plane, have an emergency, deal with emergency, evacuate the plane, fill out all the paperwork associated with that emergency and not get paid one cent because the doors never closed.

Mlambin
19th Mar 2018, 18:35
It is quite common. Every airline does it a little differently. As an example, you are paid an hourly wage but you are only paid from doors closed, engines started to doors opened. All work done before or after that is unpaid labour. There are many variations on the theme and I have no idea how this became the standard model of pay but... it sounds about right.

For instance, I could board the plane, have an emergency, deal with emergency, evacuate the plane, fill out all the paperwork associated with that emergency and not get paid one cent because the doors never closed.

And you will probably do a great job ;-)

Bernoulli
19th Mar 2018, 18:45
Those airline bosses and shareholders need their pound of flesh and if they're not getting it from the passengers due to the really cheap fares then the margin that's necessary has to come from somewhere. Fortunately there seems to be an almost inexhaustible supply of people who are so keen to work in our industry that they'll do so with almost any terms and conditions given to them by the LCCs.

halfofrho
19th Mar 2018, 21:09

It's true, and for clarification the de-icing company ran out of type 4 fluid and some of the trucks ran out of fuel. Whoops. :ugh: