PDA

View Full Version : Upset recovery training

N.N.C
22nd Jul 2002, 16:31
In an effort to reduce upset incidents and accidents Boeing and Airbus together made an so called "Upset recovery training aid"

I am looking for this manual. Does any one know where to get one, or maybe anybody has access to a digital copy.
I am specifically looking for the pilot section.

Any idea's or suggestions??

N.N.C :confused:

RadarContact
23rd Jul 2002, 20:12
Try contacting Airbus or Boeing directly. If you fly for an airline, have them contact Airbus or Boeing (better response-time probably ;) )

Agent86
24th Jul 2002, 00:06
Is this what you are after.

Boeing Site link (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_03/textonly/fo01txt.html)

Some good stuff in this.

Max

PPRuNe Dispatcher
24th Jul 2002, 00:53
Aerodynamic Principles of large-airplane upsets :
http://www.airbus.com/customer/fastspecial.asp

Mik

Cornish Jack
24th Jul 2002, 10:46
I have previously referred to a training video which covers this, and associated problem areas (CFIT,Cross-over speeds, control malfunctions, Micro-bursts etc.), in an exceptionally well presented and easily assimilated way. We used it at my last company as a standard component of refresher traning and I can recall nothing other than enthusiasm for the contents. It isn't the whole answer since the problems require PRACTICAL training but it is a superb introduction and a number of the concepts came as totally new areas of operation for some crews.

ooizcalling
26th Jul 2002, 17:14
I know that video too. If it's the same one as Cornish Jack is talking about then it is :-

Advanced Maneuvering Training (AMT) presented by a Captain Warren VanderBurg of American Airlines.

Try to get it, it's worth the trouble !:)

411A
26th Jul 2002, 18:31
Wonder if the good Captain at AA is now saying....stay OFF the rudder, least it break off?:rolleyes: :eek: :(

N.N.C
26th Jul 2002, 18:50
Thanks for your replies. I have the AMT video with Capt Vanden Berg fm AA.

Does anyone have information as to the specific contents of the
pilot section of the Airbus/Boeing Upset recovery training aid??

Very eager waiting for info.:p

Cornish Jack
27th Jul 2002, 08:58
No 411A, I doubt that Capt Van has to add ANYTHING to an excellent training video. His considerations on the INAPPROPRIATE use of rudder both in respect to situation AND aircraft TYPE (e.g.MD11) are both timely and as practical as the rest of the videos. He makes extremely valid points in respect of the major difference between control authority on Mil jets and the civilian passenger aircraft. His presentation is a prime example of how someone who really understands his subject matter is able to present fairly complex aerodynamic and performance information in a way that is simple to follow. Furthermore, he manages never to 'talk down' to his audience (live, by the way) and could be used as an ideal model for some of the more self-opinionated 'pundits' of the aviation profession....... and this forum :(

john_tullamarine
27th Jul 2002, 14:00
Having used both Boeing and Airbus videos in this area, the relevant Airbus video is a superb instructional aid..... if your training department doesn't have a copy, then you ought to push for it to obtain one ...