PDA

View Full Version : Harnesses for Light Aircraft?

Pudnucker
14th Mar 2018, 22:18
Guys,

I have an older Aircraft with only front lap belts. I really need to fit shoulder harnesses (preferably 4 pointers). A/c is a Navion so no off the shelf kits available. Does anyone know of a fly in and have fitted style custom belt supplier/fitter here in the UK?

Many Thanks!

Pilot DAR
14th Mar 2018, 23:26
I can't speak about local facilities in the UK, but I suggest that you review AC43.13-2B, Chapter 9:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2043.13-2B.pdf

It'll get your thinking started. The Navion will not be the easiest type to which to adapt shoulder harness installations, but make the effort, you may be very happy that you did one day! I speak from experience on this topic!

Genghis the Engineer
15th Mar 2018, 00:52
Guys,

I have an older Aircraft with only front lap belts. I really need to fit shoulder harnesses (preferably 4 pointers). A/c is a Navion so no off the shelf kits available. Does anyone know of a fly in and have fitted style custom belt supplier/fitter here in the UK?

Many Thanks!

Try talking to Flylight at Sywell - I've seen some very nice harnesses they've made up for a variety of aircraft. I'm guessing that your Navion is on the N-reg?, as I can't see any on G-INFO. I think that you may be on your own regarding approvals, but realistically "form, fit and function" is your friend, along with your usual FAA mechanic to ease the paperwork wheels.

G

Pudnucker
15th Mar 2018, 05:57
Thanks - I’ll give them a shout. Word is from the Navion owners group in the US is that the FAA want something, anything fitted as there’s been a good number of walk away accidents where people died from head injuries.

The a/c is a Rangemaster H on the 2-Reg. I think she’s the only one in the UK - there’s a couple of model As and Bs on the N-reg. I’ve got some ideas for fixing points but you’re right, it isn’t straightforward..

Flyingmac
15th Mar 2018, 09:10
These are an option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW39_pXW3G4

Genghis the Engineer
15th Mar 2018, 09:31
Pudnucker, some further thoughts based upon what you've just said.

The certification standard for your Navion will be some old version of FAR-23 "Light Airplanes". For all reasonable purposes the pilot's harness approval requirements in part 23 are identical to those in BCAR Section S - the UK design code for microlight aeroplanes. The norm in the UK microlight world is 4-point harnesses - nobody's a big fan of Cessna-style 3-point harnesses.

Flylight are a microlight manufacturer - they build and sell the kits for the Sky Ranger. That means two things from your perspective - (1) they already carry well designed and made 4-point harnesses, and (2) they have people on tap who are competent to check aircraft designs. Yes, all their experience is microlights, but as I said, the requirements are basically identical anyhow so the only thing you'd be missing is FAA paperwork - they are able to do a competent job.

More broadly, the same would be true of anybody else building microlights in Britain, so it may be worth going and looking at what's fitted to the aeroplanes at your local microlight club, and seeing what seems likely to be retrofittable into your Navion. But yes, I think you're quite right that it's the attachments that will be your biggest headache.

If all else, drop me an email (not a PM) via PPrune- I'm a CAA design signatory for part 23 aeroplanes, and I'm sure could become similarly acceptable to FAA if that was essential. I do occasional consultancy on stuff like this, and am always happy to accept payment in flying hours in interesting aeroplanes :)

G