PDA

View Full Version : CRI Rating

Cirrussy
5th Mar 2018, 17:58
I'm considering a doing a CRI rating and was wondering if anybody had done one recently that would be prepared to recommend a school, please?

Does anyone that has one find that there's a demand for your services? Is it a sensible investment? Tail wheel instructors are becoming fairly hard to find and so that would be my main motivation for doing it.

Thanks.

Stretchwell
5th Mar 2018, 18:01
I did mine at On Track at Wellesbourne. Very impressed by the course.

There’s definitely a demand for CRIs but to a degree it depends on you putting your name out there. Bi-annuals are always in demand.

HTH.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Mar 2018, 19:08
I did mine 6 years ago with an FIC who has moved school twice since, so I'd be disinclined to make a recommendation as I know neither the instructors at that school now, nor the general arrangements where he is now. I've heard nothing but good about On-Track however, and we used their notes when I did my course, and I still refer to them. So, they're probably a good bet.

Is there work? I get about 30 hours per year of instructing without having to try too hard - but that's mostly because (a) I'm usually in one or more syndicates, and (b) I have quite a lot of hours in some reasonably obscure types.

I suspect that if your time is almost entirely on standard spamcans - PA28s, C172s, etc. then you'll struggle because you are less useful than hundreds of FIs and FI(R)s who can teach ab-initio and have the same experience on types. But, I could be wrong, if you have a good relationship with a local school and are prepared to spend time there, they might well have work for you.

Tailwheel instructors are reasonably scarce, but suitable training aeroplanes considerably more so. So, unless you have access to a suitable tailwheel trainer, I wouldn't be too optimistic about that creating work for you.

G

Cirrussy
5th Mar 2018, 20:35
Thanks both - food for thought! On track have cropped up in conversation in the past, so they are obviously doing something right.

Thanks for the replies.

S-Works
16th Mar 2018, 11:58
On Track are outstanding. I have done all my Instructor and examiner courses with them over the past 20 years and the quality has always been exceptional.

Duchess_Driver
17th Mar 2018, 08:43
Go see Craig at

https://www.centralflighttraining.com

FL370 Officeboy
31st Mar 2018, 07:18
Go see Craig at

https://www.centralflighttraining.com

Seconded!!

4Screwaircrew
31st Mar 2018, 18:44
Also look at Andrewsfield, they seem to train well for CRI and FI and they have a Cub on fleet.