PDA

View Full Version : ATC Tower/Ground Communications?

GLIDER 90
21st Feb 2018, 16:40
Hello All

Another Question!
With my understanding of how a RAF Air Traffic Control Tower worked in the 70@S, is with just 1 UHF Frequency in use in the tower controlling all military air traffic movements, on a busy airbase from start, taxi, take off, visual circuits, landing, taxi back, How was this managed before the Ground twr Frequency was introduced?

Piltdown Man
21st Feb 2018, 19:09
Maybe they cut out the crap?

NRU74
21st Feb 2018, 20:42
Long time ago but....
As I recall - and I think then it was all on VHF
Marham - Stud 18 Tower (local) Stud 17 Approach 16 Director and 15 Talk down
So, start up on 18 and for taxi and take-off when airborne to 17 and then to whatever radar— was it Northern or Midland ?
On return on handover from whichever radar initially to Approach on stud 17 and then to Director etc unless you were doing a visual circuit.

chevvron
22nd Feb 2018, 06:03
There was always a 'ground' frequency but it was operated by the assistant for vehicles only thus relieving the person talking to aircraft of some of the workload.
Having said that, the 'normal' system is for just one controller to handle all aircraft calls; it's only when an airfield gets really busy you need to 'split' the functions.
At Farnborough for instance, a GMC position is only used during the Air Show, other times one controller handles startups, clearance delivery, co-ordination with approach, taxy clearance, departures and vehicles operating on the airfield.

GLIDER 90
28th Feb 2018, 06:42
Thanks for the replys, much appreciated.