PDA

View Full Version : Squawk Ident Readback

CoffeeWhiteOnePlease
20th Feb 2018, 15:19
Please, forgive me now for this rather embarrassing question. But for the sake of peace in my own mind, is "squawk ident" a read back item in the UK/EU commercial aviation world?

I usually read it back - I've seen some people do, some people don't. Sometimes if I leave it out ATC don't mind, other times i've been pulled up on it and asked to confirm. Any opinion from a radar controller?

chevvron
20th Feb 2018, 16:12
A readback does no harm provided the RTF isn't too busy.
I've heard controllers at some 'busy' positions (usually training films made in the USA) who pass a stream of instructions to multiple aircraft wthout a break and after each aircraft specific instruction they say 'ident to acknowledge'.
What I meant to say was OK it's a 'mandatory' in '413, but no-one minds if it's not read back provided thay see an ident appear on the label of the aircraft they have addressed.

spekesoftly
20th Feb 2018, 16:47
A readback does no harm provided the RTF isn't too busy.SSR Operating Instructions are one of the mandatory read-backs listed in CAP 413.

DB6
20th Feb 2018, 18:20
I'm not a radar controller, but consider this: If you don't read it back, and just press the ident button, there will be two, three or more other pilots, wondering if you heard it and waiting for your readback so they can then transmit in turn. Only the radar controller will know you have responded to the instruction. A needless few seconds of uncertainty that can be avoided by reading back 'squawk ident' then pressing the button.
And it's a mandatory readback, as mentioned above.

LostThePicture
20th Feb 2018, 20:23
"With the flash"

ZOOKER
20th Feb 2018, 20:42
It's a while since I sat in front of a 'scope'.....But if I asked for 'the flash' and you didn't do it, I'd ask you again. I'm with 'speke'.

Cartman's Twin
14th Mar 2018, 23:03
A readback is mandatory.

And the previous poster is absolutely correct. If you don't, chances are that other parties (both ATCO and Pilot) will be patiently waiting for a response before they chip in.

CT