PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth crash at White Waltham

Tiger_ Moth
21st Jul 2002, 21:27
Just saw on the news that a Tiger Moth crashed at White Waltham in a charity display or something. Apparently the pilot was OK.
Was anybody there/ know anything about this such as why it crashed and how badly it's damaged?

newswatcher
22nd Jul 2002, 08:38
The pilot of a Tiger Moth biplane raising cash for an air ambulance was airlifted to hospital after his plane crashed during a charity air show in Berkshire.

The 55-year-old man was thrown clear of the wreckage of the plane when it plunged 300 feet to the ground at the White Waltham airfield near Maidenhead on Sunday.

A crew from the Thames Valley Air Ambulance was on standby at the display and flew the pilot to the Wexham Park Hospital in Slough.

Roger McKie, the chief executive of the airfield, said the victim suffered minor injuries.

skyraider
22nd Jul 2002, 08:55
I got this from the local rag this morning...

Pilot’s ‘lucky’ crash at airfield

A PILOT had a lucky escape when his light aircraft crash-landed at White Waltham airfield.
Firefighters spent more than an hour trying to cut him out of the aircraft.
They had to remove the joystick and cut cables so the ambulance crew could get to him out. He was taken to Wexham Park Hospital, Slough, suffering from a broken leg and injuries to his back and neck.
The experienced pilot, who wishes to remain anonymous, had been carrying out practice circuits above the airfield at 10.30am on Tuesday for half an hour, but when he tried to land, the plane went out of control and plummeted onto the grass below.
Leading firefighter Gary Yorke of Maidenhead, who was at the scene, said: “The man who was about 50 years old was very lucky to have received only the injuries he did.
“There was no fuel leaking from the aircraft when we arrived but if there had been, the plane would have gone up in flames.”
Dave Coe, chief flying instructor at the airfield, said: “We have no idea what caused the accident yet.
“The air investigation branch in Farnborough will be looking into the crash, but they need to get a report from the pilot before they can begin looking into the cause.
“I was alerted straight away and was able to take the necessary procedures to ensure the pilot wasn’t in any danger.”

END

This happened last tuesday according to the article and the pilot was apparently trapped, not thrown out.

Was this a separate incident or conflicting info between the 2 articles... :confused:

Flybywyre
22nd Jul 2002, 09:00
Seperate incident.............
That one on Tuesday and the Tiger Moth on Sunday
Regards
FBW

eyeinthesky
22nd Jul 2002, 12:31
Apparently the show was to raise money for the air ambulance! A spokesman said:"It's good to have the air ambulance around. you never know when you might need them.":D

Negative 'G'
22nd Jul 2002, 18:48
Thrown out of the A/C

Hmmmmm Sutton Harnesses ????????????(no speculation intended):rolleyes:

Neg G

Saab Dastard
26th Jul 2002, 20:21
I was at the display at WW on Sunday and saw the Tiger Moth crash.

It was part of a display with several other Moths. The aircraft in question was flying in close formation with another Moth and just before the incident these 2 aircraft were flying side-by-side towards the crowd line as part of the routine, with the intention - I think - of both pulling up and doing a steep 90 degree (or more, not sure) turn in opposite directions to each other.

I heard the leader call "break" or "go" over the R/T (I was listening to Waltham radio) and both aircraft started their turns. I was watching the downwind aircraft, which pulled up very steeply and turned sharply - I thought it looked very aggressive, almost as if he was attempting a flick roll or something and I suddenly realised that he wasn't going to make it.

I heard but couldn't see the impact, so I don't know what exactly happened to the aircraft or pilot, but the crash team were on the spot in seconds (well done to them) and the air ambulance was also on the spot but wasn't needed.

It looked very nasty, as it appeared to go in from about 100 feet. Fortunately, the pilot appears to be one lucky guy, as I heard yesterday that he got away with cuts and bruises.

From where I stood it looked like a stall / spin incident, but the accident report details and cause will ultimately be published in the AAIB bulletin.

SD

Sleeve Wing
26th Jul 2002, 20:42
Neg.G.
Sorry to disappoint but it wasn't a Sutton harness and the pilot wasn't thrown clear. After the impact he himself undid his harness and was helped clear of the aircraft because of the fire risk.

The WLAC Crash Crew were superb, very prompt and exceptionally professional. Well done, John and the guys. We all owe you a beer.

Sleeve.

Sleeve Wing
26th Jul 2002, 20:54
Brockenspectre - must have crossed with you.
Yeh, go chase your rainbow !!

Ghoulish speculation is exactly what you're up to......uninformed guesswork... the sort of stuff our hack friends have a field day with.
If you haven't any useful contribution to make, why don't you just stick to reading.
FYI, all four were ex-Diamond Nine and the final break was performed by two aircraft only, well clear of the crowd.
All were multi-seasoned, experienced display pilots with appropriate DAs.

Sleeve.

Warped Factor
26th Jul 2002, 21:07
Was also in the unfortunate position of witnessing the accident.

I heard but couldn't see the impact, so I don't know what exactly happened to the aircraft or pilot, but the crash team were on the spot in seconds (well done to them) and the air ambulance was also on the spot but wasn't needed.

The air ambulance delivered the pilot to hospital.

It looked very nasty, as it appeared to go in from about 100 feet. Fortunately, the pilot appears to be one lucky guy, as I heard yesterday that he got away with cuts and bruises.

Not quite as lucky as you think, unless back surgery counts as cuts and bruises :(

WF.

Whirlybird
27th Jul 2002, 08:25
Sleeve Wing,

What's your problem with Brockenspectre's post? She asked a question, and made a comment. Just as most of us do on PPRuNe in fact. :confused: A bit of an over-reaction on your part, don't you think?

brockenspectre
27th Jul 2002, 20:16
I have deleted my post as someone found it inappropriate - as a member of the Tiger Club but not currently au fait with where our guys are displaying I just wondered if someone had any real information. My apologies if my post offended. I will find out, in any event, from other 'Club members - thought this was a forum where real gen might have been available...when there are tragedies (and i have been aware/involved of several in the past) the last thing close friends/family needs are peripheral folks, however genuine the concern or interest, "interfering".

Whirls thanks for your support. :D

And fyi Sleeve I have met the Diamond 9 pilots, many participate in aero comps at Headcorn.