PDA

View Full Version : PPL flying in Hampshire

finalapproach
18th Feb 2018, 15:18
Wonder if anyody can help - I will be moving soon to the Winchester area and would like to continue flying. I am a PPL currently flying C152, C172 and PA28 out of EGKB. My research so far indicates the local airfields to be Popham and Chilbolton. Whilst these appear to be busy, lively airfields, it seems the only schools/clubs are for 3 axis microlight aircraft, Ikarus, Eurostar etc as opposed to group a. I note that there are aircraft shares in Group A aircraft available at Popham, but at least initially I would like to just join a club operating Group A aircraft, get checked out and rent an aircraft as I do now. Does anybody know what my options would be for this type of flying? I would prefer not to have to travel as far as Blackbushe for example. I also looked at Old Sarum but that also seems to be microlight too. Any ideas gratefully received.

eckhard
18th Feb 2018, 15:44
Western Air at Thruxton?

chevvron
18th Feb 2018, 16:21
Try Irv Lee at Popham
Irv Lee - UK Pilot Mentoring, Aviation Seminars, Artcles, Consultancy CAA/JAA/SA Approved Flying Instruction (http://www.higherplane.co.uk)

josher
18th Feb 2018, 20:06
there is a group a school at old sarum - go fly - but tends to focus in initial traing and experience flight. I think there is a non equity cherokee and a 152 to rent and possibly a share in a 177. May also be non equity rentals at Pop. Much cheaper than school a/c. Best to visit and ask around

rudestuff
18th Feb 2018, 21:52
There are loads of aircraft to rent at Popham - it's the cheapest place in the country to rent a 150/152.

this is my username
19th Feb 2018, 05:33
Airbourne at Popham have a DA20 Katana available.

Capt Kremmen
19th Feb 2018, 10:40
As above. Western Air, Thruxton. Speak to Bob Cole.

Newforest2
19th Feb 2018, 12:07
Nobody mentioned Lee on the Solent yet?! Not up to date with the facilities though.

Capt Kremmen
19th Feb 2018, 12:33
Lee on Solent ? Not user friendly, still a struggle. Security almost akin to Aldermaston.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Feb 2018, 12:50
Chilbolton is a very friendly microlight club, and would be quite happy with short-field light aeroplanes, but (a) 410m runway, and (b) no club or rental aeroplanes, and I don't think any syndicates at the moment. it's basically somewhere to take your own aeroplane.

Popham is a wonderful place to operate from, affordable, nice little clubhouse, loads of syndicates, two good runways, friendly people. Irv Lee, already mentioned, operates as an FI from there and is always the best source of local wisdom.

Thruxton is a school airfield, and I've always found it good for that, but somewhat sub-optimal for most post-qualification private flying.

Lee on Solent has transformed in recent years, and become a really friendly place to operate from. Not sure what's there in the way of syndicates and rentals, but I go in there regularly for lunch on the beach.

Old Sarum is another great friendly place, a few syndicates, a busy healthy school, a few local manageable "issues" about the co-located parachute school and proximity of Boscombe Down. Single grass runway, but perfectly adequate for most purposes.

Having flown around that area for many years, I would start at Popham as my first choice, then check if anything else looks at least as good.

G

Duchess_Driver
19th Feb 2018, 12:51
Lee on Solent ? Not user friendly, still a struggle. Security almost akin to Aldermaston

Sorry, not my recent experience.... very nice place to fly to IMHO (last there 28/12/17)...Am I missing something?

Genghis the Engineer
19th Feb 2018, 13:01
Sorry, not my recent experience.... very nice place to fly to IMHO (last there 28/12/17)...Am I missing something?

You're missing what it was like up until about 4 years ago. I suspect that Capt may not have been there for a while.

G

Capt Kremmen
19th Feb 2018, 15:25
Last visit about two years ago. Lee has a long, long history of not being very nice to both prospective and actual users. Looks like it might now have changed.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Feb 2018, 16:25
I've been in 4 times in the last year, made thoroughly welcome on each occasion.

G

eckhard
19th Feb 2018, 20:58
Lee has a long, long history of not being very nice

I hope you mean “on-Solent” and not “Irv”?!

Genghis the Engineer
20th Feb 2018, 05:33
I've been in 4 times in the last year, made thoroughly welcome on each occasion.

G

I most definitely mean "on Solent" and not "Irv".

G

Capt Kremmen
20th Feb 2018, 09:34
I hope you mean “on-Solent” and not “Irv”?!

If you read the whole of the exchanges, clarity will be your friend !

destinationsky
20th Feb 2018, 10:30
Hi, I am part of a very low equity group at Old Sarum. We fly a PA28-140. Lovely airfield and lovely aeroplane to fly. I live just to the South of Winchester and OS is not a bad drive. Message me if you would like any more details! - Same goes for anyone else who may be interested!

CloudHound
20th Feb 2018, 21:45
Have you considered Goodwood? Richard Sims has a number of non-equity a/c there including a Trauma Hawk;)

Sam Rutherford
21st Feb 2018, 05:38
Second, third or more vote for Airbourne at Popham...

Drgeorgereid
21st Feb 2018, 19:58
I fly from Popham and can thoroughly recommend that airfield. I am a member of a small (5 person) group operating a Cessna 150 £45 per month and £55 per tacho Hr Wet. We have 1 space available in the group. Contact me if interested. (07733 993316)

On Glide
22nd Feb 2018, 06:53
Can't speak highly enough of Western Air at Thruxton. Been flying there past eight years PPL self hire of the PA-28s and now the new G1000 Cessna 172S. Great instructors, airfield, ATC and office staff.

Talkdownman
22nd Feb 2018, 08:11
Can't speak highly enough of Western Air at Thruxton. Been flying there past eight years PPL self hire of the PA-28s and now the new G1000 Cessna 172S. Great instructors, airfield, ATC and office staff.ATC? At Thruxton?

On Glide
22nd Feb 2018, 15:25
OK, you got me - no ATC, but the friendly chap on the A/G radio!

letpmar
22nd Feb 2018, 17:38
Wonder if anyody can help - I will be moving soon to the Winchester area and would like to continue flying. I am a PPL currently flying C152, C172 and PA28 out of EGKB. My research so far indicates the local airfields to be Popham and Chilbolton. Whilst these appear to be busy, lively airfields, it seems the only schools/clubs are for 3 axis microlight aircraft, Ikarus, Eurostar etc as opposed to group a. I note that there are aircraft shares in Group A aircraft available at Popham, but at least initially I would like to just join a club operating Group A aircraft, get checked out and rent an aircraft as I do now. Does anybody know what my options would be for this type of flying? I would prefer not to have to travel as far as Blackbushe for example. I also looked at Old Sarum but that also seems to be microlight too. Any ideas gratefully received.

We have space in our Sportcruiser group near Newbury if that is not to far, it’s not a microlight.
Pete

Talkdownman
22nd Feb 2018, 20:24
OK, you got me - no ATC, but the friendly chap on the A/G radio!Chalk and cheese, then. Probably best not to confuse those who do not understand the difference....of which there are many....

finalapproach
26th Feb 2018, 18:44
There are loads of aircraft to rent at Popham - it's the cheapest place in the country to rent a 150/152.

Interesting to hear that. I'll be looking into it as Popham is certainly my closest airfield. Thanks..

finalapproach
3rd Mar 2018, 06:47
These posts have provided a wealth of information and I clearly won't have a problem continuing to fly once I move. Thank you all.

rudestuff
3rd Mar 2018, 13:59
Ukga has a lot of good deals