PDA

View Full Version : Compton Abbas Air Race

AlanM
21st Jul 2002, 20:37
"Stumbled" accross the Dorset Air Race today at EGHA. Quite a site watching 19 aircraft racing in a tight-ish circuit area - including Barons, Aztecs, Loads of Bulldogs/Pups etc.

Good to see the overtaking rule done in a race scenario!!!

To those flying, thankyou.

I have laods of digital shots of you all doing yr high speed turn over the field if anyone wants any.

Oh, and whats the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force Bulldog all about then?? Was it shipped here or a repaint?

Alan

Some will go on here (http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Alan%20Moss)

FNG
22nd Jul 2002, 07:43
The Hong Kong Bulldog is G-BPCL, one of two Bulldogs used in Hong Kong for pilot training and harbour patrols. They both came here in containers a decade or so ago. As well as a wacky colour scheme complete with mandarin characters, they have the advantage over the ex RAF/UAS aircraft of relatively un-tired airframes. G-BPCL lives at North Weald, or sometimes Elstree, and can be rented. You can do the Royal Aero Club air racing course on it or one of the Pups as well.

As for the air racing, I sat in the right seat of the Bulldog during a race a couple of years ago. Good silly fun, especially when overtaking and at the end when everyone dives for the line, but I'm bound to say that a large element of the game appears to consist of conning the handicapper into giving you a favourable starting time. Roger H will hate me for saying that!

AlanM
22nd Jul 2002, 21:22
Thaks for that - have just found it all on www.airraceuk.com

Thanks for yr time.

Alan

Flash0710
23rd Jul 2002, 08:45
If you have any of the yak pls do send

[email protected]

Cheers it was a great weekend and anyone can join in .....!