PDA

View Full Version : Which Belfast Airport for a single?

undertheweather
21st Jul 2002, 16:59
I am thinking of flying across (from England) to visit some relatives in Northern Ireland later this summer in my little trusty single.

However, my wife will not be flying with me across the water, and I will have to meet her there. The most obvious place is either Aldergrove or Belfast City, depending on what commercial flight she can get.

From my point of view, which of these is the most GA friendly, and will welcome me with open cash register? Cost is also an issue, as I would have to deliver her back there for her return flight.

Alternatively, should I just fly to Newtownards and get her to get a taxi?

jabiruwho
21st Jul 2002, 22:06
Aldergrove has its own GA apron, a couple of flying schools and is probably the best bet. The City does not exactly encourage light aircraft (and there are no flying schools based there.) Landing fee is £15 as far as I can remember at Aldergrove. Problem is it is not that close to Belfast, but neither is Newtownards and there landing fee is not much less, I think it's about £12.

Standard Noise
21st Jul 2002, 22:22
It's not as much as £15 at the City as far as I recall. Ring them on 028 9093 9093 and ask for ATC, they'll tell you over the phone.
As for not being GA friendly, it's only the flying clubs they don't like, private flights are reasonably well catered for and ATC is excellent, oh and it's nearer civilisation of course!