PDA

View Full Version : "Compleat Taildragger" book

undertheweather
21st Jul 2002, 16:41
Anyone know where I can find a copy of "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot" by Harvey Plourde, here in the UK? I have looked on Amazon.co.uk but it isn't listed (although it does seem to be on the US site.

Warped Factor
21st Jul 2002, 18:03
You can get it from the Pilot Warehouse (http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/category46023.html).

I also think Transair do it.

WF.

QDMQDMQDM
21st Jul 2002, 20:01
It's a brilliant book. I got it from Amazon.com Z shops.

QDM

tacpot
21st Jul 2002, 22:08
Northants School of Flying (@Sywell) sell it - so instead of going for that Hundred Pound coffee, why not go for a Hundred Pound book? Do check they have a copy in stock, as part of your flight planning...:)

stiknruda
21st Jul 2002, 22:15
I've just lent my copy to a friend. It and Langeweische's Stick and Rudder are excellent instructional reading material.

When I've run out of trashy novels to consume, I periodically pick them up and read a few chapters. Fair to say that I probably learn something or have a better understanding of something everytime I do so.

Enjoy your copy!!

Stik

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 15:16
I haven't read "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot" so I won't slag it ... but it does seem to me that it is unnecessary to read an entire book on the subject of flying tailwheel ... it just is not that complicated a subject, and to imply that it is runs the risk of suggesting that it is too difficult for most pilots to handle.:(

I think that you will find that if you review "Stick and Rudder" and spend a few hours of dual with an experienced instructor, you'll have no troubles and not require any additional reading.

However, if you're the kind of person that likes to read up on things (as I am), here are some references that you may find more approachable than "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot":

Alan Bramson, "Make Better Landings" (contains one chapter on flying tailwheels);
Richard L. Taylor, "Understanding Flying" (ditto);
Aurthur S. Medore, "Primary Aerobatic Flight Training with Military Techniques" (ditto).

Finally, here's a few websites to checkout:

www.avweb.com/articles/lounge/tpl0002.html
www.avweb.com/articles/taildrag.html
www.members.tripod.com/kevinpilot/index.htm

Have fun,

MLS-12D:)

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 15:26
I think that you will find that if you review "Stick and Rudder" and spend a few hours of dual with an experienced instructor, you'll have no troubles and not require any additional reading

The info is all in Stick and Rudder somewhere, but is rather buried in all the other stuff.

This book gives an excellent, basic introduction to taildragger flying and deals throughly with the theoretical basis behind it, which is markedly different to nosewheel. This helps significantly as you review what you are doing in flight training. The book is extremely clear and I can't recommend it more highly, although it has a lot of typos.

here are some references that you may find more approachable than "The Compleat Taildragger

Best to have actually looked at a book before making comments like this. The Compleat Taildragger is about as approachable a book as I know.

QDM

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 15:46
Sorry, I didn't mean that the writing is unapproachable, just that the length of the book is rather a lot to wade through and digest.

I absolutely agree that I would be unjustified in panning the book without reading it ... but I have skimmed through it at a bookstore and that is sufficient for me to know that indeed it is too theoretical for my taste.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This book gives an excellent, basic introduction to taildragger flying and deals throughly with the theoretical basis behind it ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love books, and cannot see any particular harm in books of this sort; but in my opinion the money spent on its purchase would be better spent paying for extra instruction with an experienced instructor.

MLS-12D;)

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 15:49
but in my opinion the money spent on its purchase would be better spent paying for extra instruction with an experienced instructor

I take your point. It all depends what kind of person you are. Some like to know the theoretical ins and outs of what they're doing. Others prefer to just get on and do it.

QDM

nonradio
23rd Jul 2002, 15:58
News Flash!
Once upon a time almost everybody learned to fly on a tailwheel aeroplane. And soloed inside 10 hours. There's no big deal - just do it and enjoy...
If you've been taught to land and take off properly on a nosewheel machine you'll have no real difficulty. I can see MLS's point but the book is a good read, and why not get ahead, because a decent instructor will cover what's in it during your initiation into the upper echelons of the aviation fraternity (or sisterhood). But, SSHHHHh... don't tell anybody the truth when you're signed off - keep the image going about people who fly a/c with a 'training wheel' on the front.....

undertheweather
23rd Jul 2002, 16:14
I have ordered a copy of "Compleat Taildragger" over the net - hopefully it will arrive this week!

That should be before my next lesson at the weekend, and I should know the theory behind not weaving up the runway like a demented sine wave!

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 16:20
The book's worth it simply because of its explanation, and hence debunking, of the myth that 10 or 15 foot taildragger bounces on landing are due to stiff undercarriage.

As with almost everything, it all comes down to Angle of Attack...

;)

QDM

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 16:27
I have ordered a copy of "Compleat Taildragger" over the net - hopefully it will arrive this week!

Let us know what you think.

I should know the theory behind not weaving up the runway like a demented sine wave!

I do know the theory and I still made a takeoff a bit like a demented sine wave at the weekend in a strong, gusting crosswind. :(

QDM

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 16:31
I agree, some people learn differently than others. I can only speak from my own perspective and experience, which tells me that it can on occasion be awfully difficult to translate theory into practice! :D

Please take a look at one of the website articles I cited [www.avweb.com/articles/lounge/tpl0002.html], where Rick Durden makes the same point that I tried to make in my original post. To quote the author: "There are books dedicated to flying tailwheel airplanes. Most are good. But, due to their length and complexity, they seem to add to the deification of the tailwheel airplane pilot and the demonization of the airplane."

Durden offers some basic tips that are stripped to the essentials and I think would be helpful to the novice. To his list, I would add three of my own that are correct for most (not all) situations: (1) keep the stick all the way back; (2) when in doubt, add power; (3) keep busy on the rudders.

nonradio
23rd Jul 2002, 16:33
Question is: have you ever made 3 perfect landings in a row. And I mean perfect. Not good. PERFECT.
For some reason TO's don't count.

nonradio
23rd Jul 2002, 16:37
MLS-12D: 'Rudders' - whatcha flying? Beech 18, Twin pioneer, Miles Messenger, Broussard, Hudson can't think of any more.;) :D

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 16:41
Not so far. Perhaps I should read the book ... but I still don't think I would be able to do it!:D

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 16:46
Okay, okay: "stay on the rudder" or "stay on the rudder pedals".

You are soo particular!:p

I'd love to fly a Miles Gemini.:)

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 16:57
The lads here at Eggesford have just bought a Broussard. What a beast!

Pop down and see us sometime, nonradio, you can show me how to do three perfect landings in the Super Cub.

QDM

nonradio
23rd Jul 2002, 17:02
3QDM; that's my point - I've never bloody managed it. **** easy to fly, but difficult (near pigging impossible) to fly well. Must be a good trainer then....
Thanks for the invite, too!

MLS-12D
24th Jul 2002, 13:55
I thought of another book that has a good short chapter on tailwheel technique: Barry Schiff, "The Proficient Pilot".

MLS-12D:)