PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain me about all magnetic compass error

firstch
3rd Feb 2018, 14:23
Can someone give me an explanation of magnetic compass error. In to confuse about it, thanks for the answer

latetonite
3rd Feb 2018, 14:29
Yes I could. However I am not going to do it. I kindly refer you to your Private Pilot study material.

firstch
3rd Feb 2018, 14:31
I know it but I'm not sure that I'm understand it correct or not

wiggy
3rd Feb 2018, 14:39
Yes ...magnetic compasses often as not don't point to the magnetic North, they are subject to errors...now the various reasons why that happen can fill a small book ...so rather than us typing away why don't you try googling "magnetic compass errors" or something similar...

firstch
3rd Feb 2018, 14:58
I'm didn't tell you that I'm not try to understand anything and waiting for yours answer, I'm googling it , watch form YouTube but I'm get confused, I'm just want and good explanation from the experts, because now I'm just starting the ppl lesson. If you can't help me it's ok
Thanks

eckhard
3rd Feb 2018, 15:17
Assuming Flight within the northern hemisphere:

1. Magnetic needles suspended on pivot like a pendulum.
2. Lines of earth’s magnetic flux have horizontal and vertical component.
3. Horizontal component causes needles to align with local magnetic north.
4. Vertical component causes needles to dip slightly towards north.
5. Angle of dip causes the centre of gravity of the needle assembly to be displaced towards the south.
6. Any acceleration on an east or west heading will cause the c of g to swing rearwards, resulting in an apparent turn towards north.
7. Any deceleration on an east or west heading will cause the c of g to swing forwards, resulting in an apparent turn towards south.
8. Any acceleration or deceleration on a north or south heading will cause the c of g to nod forwards or backwards with no heading error.
9. During a steady turn, the effect of the acceleration on the displaced c of g is to cause an apparent underturn towards north and an apparent overturn towards south. There is no error on turns towards east or west.

As long as you understand that the c of g of the needle assembly is displaced by the vertical component of the earth’s magnetic field, and that the forces of turning and acceleration act directly on the pivot, the resulting effect on the c of g and therefore on the needle assembly should become clear.

Of course, a few diagrams would help but that’s beyond my computing ability!

jack11111
3rd Feb 2018, 23:17
Eckhard, thank you much for that explanation. I had never known about the vertical components of the magnetic field. With your use of C of G physics acting on needle, it makes perfect sense.

Intruder
3rd Feb 2018, 23:44
I'm didn't tell you that I'm not try to understand anything and waiting for yours answer, I'm googling it , watch form YouTube but I'm get confused, I'm just want and good explanation from the experts, because now I'm just starting the ppl lesson.
Your flight instructor would be a better source than this forum. He can use reference books, pen & paper, and other resources to help you understand.

firstch
4th Feb 2018, 00:49
my flights instructor explain but it hard to understand.

firstch
4th Feb 2018, 00:53
eckhard

Thank you very much for your answer now I'm understand clearly about it:)

eckhard
4th Feb 2018, 02:48
You are welcome. Glad I was able to help!

firstch
4th Feb 2018, 05:00
eckhard

Thank you very much for your answer now I'm understand clearly about it:)

Bergerie1
4th Feb 2018, 08:51
eckhard,

What a beautifully precise and simple explanation!

eckhard
4th Feb 2018, 10:54
Why, thank you Bergerie!

I used to demonstrate all the above during a ten minute square pattern:

Start on north. Accelerate and decelerate, showing no error.
Turn onto west. Show no error.
Accelerate and decelerate, showing apparent turns.
Turn onto south, showing need to delay the roll-out until 150 indicated.
Accelerate and decelerate, showing no error.
Turn onto east. Show no error.
Accelerate and decelerate, showing apparent turns.
Turn onto north, showing need to start roll-out early, when 030 indicated.

PAXfips
5th Feb 2018, 05:35
I found that video is pretty clear to explain the effects eckhard has laid out so nicely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0XBlszwyY

Bergerie1
5th Feb 2018, 06:30
eckhard,

I wish someone had shown and explained it to me like that when I was learning to fly.