PDA

View Full Version : Solo flight with OML Class 1 Medical?

CrazyScientist
31st Jan 2018, 18:49
Hello

I have a question regarding the OML limitation applied to Class 1 medical certificates. I have tried looking through the relevant regulations but the wording is ambiguous enough to leave me confused.

If a CPL/PPL holder has a Class 1 medical certificate with an OML limitation, are they permitted to fly as PIC solo and without a safety pilot (for example, as PIC of an SEP aircraft) in non-commercial operations?

I cannot find anything in Part-MED that makes specific reference to whether there is a distinction in the limitation of privileges between commercial and non-commercial operations.

I do see the following:

(ii) The holder of a medical certificate with an OML shall only operate an aircraft in multi-pilot operations when the other pilot is fully qualified on the relevant type of aircraft, is not subject to an OML and has not attained the age of 60 years.

This would seem to indicate that only multi-crew operations are permitted.

However, my confusion stems from the fact that I've (colloquially) heard that a Class 1 certificate also has Class 2 privileges 'embedded'. As OML limitations, according to Part-MED, can only apply to Class 1 privileges, I would have thought the Class 2 privileges are therefore unrestricted/unlimited and could be used for single pilot operations to fly solo (although obviously non-commercially, as you can't use a Class 2 commercially)?

Would appreciate any feedback on this, especially reference to any official documents.

Tom Cundall
2nd Feb 2018, 07:31
I asked the same question when last up at the Belgrano. "As or with" restriction is only for Class 1 flying. Solo in a C150 is permitted.

CrazyScientist
2nd Feb 2018, 16:23
Sweet, thanks for the confirmation.

In case anyone is interested, I did find somewhat of a clue in the official regulations. AMC1 MED.A.030 states that a Class 1 medical certificate "includes the privileges and validities of class 2 and LAPL medical certificates." That, along with the statement "(OML — Class 1 only)" under MED.B.001 would probably qualify as legal justification for flying solo privately with an OML, should it ever be challenged.

flyerj
25th Jun 2023, 17:22
Everybody including the CAA refer to the OML restriction as 2 crew operations etc etc
From how I understand it, this only applies to commercial air transport. If you are ferry flying, flying a privately owned aircraft for remuneration then the OML DOES NOT APPLY as they are not commercial operations for fare paying passengers or goods..
It doesn't appear to written in PART-MED as such, it should state COMMERCIAL AIR TRANSPORT OPERATIONS ONLY.

Anybody else got a take on this ?

kwaiyai
9th Jul 2023, 11:11
OML; 'Applies only to Class 1 privileges' if you have one it will say so on XIII limitations section of your medical cert. You may or may not
have OSL on class 2 which will be shown on your limitations if you do which is requirement for safety pilot to be with you on RHS of dual
controlled SPA's. CrazyScientist check the limitations section if no OSL you can solo. Also check on your med certificate
the date shown for class 2. Just FYI I have class 1 OML (A320 rated pilot) but have an SSL on my class 1 which allows me to
Instruct (I am also FI/A up to CPL/IR) CPL level students even though its technically SPA flying. I have unrestricted class 2 aka
no OSL etc. Hope that helps.

V_2
9th Jul 2023, 20:54
I did all my ATPL training with an OML restriction, now removed.