PDA

View Full Version : resurrecting an old PPL(H)... whats involved?

tegwin
31st Jan 2018, 16:41
After a bit of a break I would like to get back into flying. I held a PPL(H) and have just under 150hrs

My type rating expired April 2011 and I have not flown since.

I am aware a bit has changed in terms of rules and so forth so clearly some refreshing would be required....

What would be required to resurrect my license and get myself a shiny new type rating stamp in terms of minimum flying hours, exams etc?

TheOddOne
31st Jan 2018, 17:06
Your very best way of proceeding is to go to an Approved Training Organisation with your existing paperwork. You will need to do some training with them, anyway and they will be in a position to advise you. In my experience, each case seems to be slightly different and 'the devil is in the detail'.

In broad terms, however, it is 'such training as required' to be able to pass the skills test.

TOO

muffin
1st Feb 2018, 07:44
Consider getting an LAPL(H) this time round. Simpler, probably cheaper and certainly easier to maintain.

BillieBob
1st Feb 2018, 10:16
To resurrect a PPL(H):

Obtain a Class 2 medical certificate.
Undergo sufficient training at an ATO to reach the standard to pass a type rating proficiency check.
Pass a type rating proficiency check (make sure the examiner certifies Level 6 language proficiency)
Apply for the issue of an EASA PPL(H) on Form SRG 1104

To obtain a LAPL(H):

Obtain a LAPL medical certificate.
Undergo sufficient training at an ATO to reach the standard to pass a LAPL(H) proficiency check.
Pass a LAPL(H) proficiency check (make sure the examiner certifies Level 6 language proficiency)
Apply for the issue of an EASA LAPL(H) on Form SRG 1104

I would not say that obtaining a LAPL(H) is any simpler or cheaper than resurrecting your PPL(H). The cost of on-going maintenance may be slightly less but, given the cost of hiring an aircraft, fairly insignificant.

tegwin
1st Feb 2018, 10:34
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Is there no requirement to re-take any of the ground exams? That would be a relief if that's the case.

Looks like I need to go talk to some ATO's and see whats what.

I had looked at the LAPL(H) but couldn't see much difference. In terms of maintaining the license. What is different about the LAPL compared to the PPL?

muffin
1st Feb 2018, 12:41
You only need an LAPL medical which has lower requirements. Maybe this is not a problem to you now but possibly in the future. There is no requirement for an annual LPC. As long as you always have 5 hours solo plus one hour with an instructor (which is not a test) in the last rolling year, you never need to get involved with officialdom or forms again. Also depending on your age the medical lasts longer.

I switched from PPL to LAPL when they first came out and think it is the only good thing to ever come out of EASA.

chevvron
1st Feb 2018, 12:53
After a bit of a break I would like to get back into flying. I held a PPL(H) and have just under 150hrs

My type rating expired April 2011 and I have not flown since.

I am aware a bit has changed in terms of rules and so forth so clearly some refreshing would be required....

What would be required to resurrect my license and get myself a shiny new type rating stamp in terms of minimum flying hours, exams etc?

Is it the non expiring 'brown card in plastic wallet' type of the '70s/early '80s or more recent the book type which they resurrected?
If it's the non expiring type, you just need to fly with an instructor until they are happy to send you solo; no exams.

BillieBob
2nd Feb 2018, 09:09
If it's the non expiring type, you just need to fly with an instructor until they are happy to send you solo; no exams. But remember, if it is a UK national (i.e. pre-JAA) licence it will cease to be valid on any EASA aeroplane in a couple of months time.

My comments above were based on a JAA licence; conversion of a UK national licence will involve a couple of extra steps:

Demonstrate knowledge of the relevant parts of the operational requirements and Part-FCL (an oral test combined with the proficiency check)
Demonstrate to a CFI or an examiner the correct use of radio aids (certified in the logbook).

md 600 driver
2nd Feb 2018, 19:07
I have a valid non Uk easa licence and medical I also have a old Uk non expiring ppl/h what would I need to do to get that one valid again to fly non easa types

BillieBob
3rd Feb 2018, 10:56
Your UK national licence is already valid (it's non-expiring!) and just needs the addition of a type rating for the non-EASA type. All you have to do is to pass a skill test on the type and apply on Form SRG 1173.

If you do not already hold one, you will also need a valid FRTOL to use the radio while exercising the privileges of the UK licence.

md 600 driver
3rd Feb 2018, 11:02
Billibob
What do I do about medical mine is a non Uk easa when I looked at the 1173 form it says must have Uk based medical, is there still a Uk CAA mecical ? , do I have to complete a skill test on one of the aircraft that used to be on my old CAA licence or can I use one I fly now on my easa licence and or even use my LPC papers which were completed by non UK easa examiner

Regards

Your UK national licence is already valid (it's non-expiring!) and just needs the addition of a type rating for the non-EASA type. All you have to do is to pass a skill test on the type and apply on Form SRG 1173.

If you do not already hold one, you will also need a valid FRTOL to use the radio while exercising the privileges of the UK licence.