PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Ireland

Dobboflyer
25th Jan 2018, 19:02
Hello. My first ever post. I’m a PPL based in the North-West of England. In February I have a short break staying near Dublin and hope to do some flying. I have booked to be checked out with National Flight Centre at Weston. Any helpful suggestions welcome e.g. where to fly to. However, the main reason for posting is that I have just read an entry on UKGA about the island of Inishmore (I’m not yet allowed to post a link).The post says that you have to file a flight plan to enter controlled airspace. That sounds a bit daunting and adds a layer of complication. Is it true? Is there any alternative? What happens if you just call up for zone entry as I would in the UK?All contributions welcome

Phil

Mark 1
25th Jan 2018, 21:02
AIUI since 2015 Galway ceased commercial operations at Carnmore and there is no longer any controlled airspace in that area. Inishmore just need 3 hrs prior notice.

Last time I visited. there was no one there and the landing fee was a donation to the lifeboat collecting box. Things may have changed since.

An abbreviated flight plan to enter controlled airspace VFR can usually be done over the radio, but unless you're routing through Shannon or other main airport airspace, it shouldn't be an issue.

There is an online VFR chart here (https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/airspace-01062017.pdf?sfvrsn=2c5f07f3_0)

custardpsc
25th Jan 2018, 21:08
If you look on skyvector, you can see that Weston is in the class C, and flights requiring air traffic control services do need to file a VFR flight plan (ref Ireland AIP) so you will be filing to get in/out of there. Undoubtedly you can ask/will be shown how to file to depart from there as part of the checkout. Not daunting, same as filing a VFR flight plan anywhere else, nothing to be concerned about. Inismore is in uncontrolled airspace.

If you really want to study the detail it is here, but am sure the reality is a web page on a computer in flight briefing to put in the relevant details. Don't forget to close it on landing at an uncontrolled airport.

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/ENR/EI_ENR_1_10_EN.pdf

When flying in any strange country a read of their AIP is often useful. Many countries have a VFR flight guide within it. In this case the AIP is here

Frame1 (http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/IAIP_Frame_CD.htm)

and the ENR1.2 VFR rules section will be of use.

hope that helps

dublinpilot
26th Jan 2018, 12:34
Don't get too concerned about flight plans. Ask National Flight Centre to show you. They are very simple to do, and you aren't stuck to the route that you put in there.

You need a flight plan for any entry into controlled airspace in Ireland. Weston is inside controlled airspace, hence why you would need it.

In practice Weston will let you in and out without a flight plan. So if you are really concerned about this, you can operate without it.

For Inishmore you do need to get PPR first. You can get it from Aer Arann. Their contact details are here
Aer Arann Islands - Contact (http://aerarannislands.ie/contact/)

Things have changed a bit since Mark 1 was there unfortunately. You can now only land or take off while the airport is maned and there is a landing fee of €10.

On a seperate note, I'd call National Flight Centre to make sure your booking is still in the system before traveling to Weston. They used to (can't speak about recent years) have a reputation for cancelling booking to suit themselves and not notifiying the pilot until they arrived at the airport!

MR172
29th Jan 2018, 21:53
Like dublinpilot said you don't need a flight plan for flying weston to inishmor.

Did it myself a couple of months ago so I can say that with certainty. That aside it's probably no harm being on a plan given the remote nature etc.

anchorhold
2nd Feb 2018, 09:19
I would recomend the visiting the three Aran island off the west coast of Ireland.. I managed to land and take off on all three airfields within six minutes. One of the islands features on the start of Father Ted episodes. I'm not sure what is there in terms of accomodation and pubs. One word of caution be sure before you land that there are no cattle or animals on the runways.