PDA

View Full Version : Routing north/south of Liverpool

toddm
21st Jan 2018, 21:25
Hi,

I’m looking to fly from Prestwick To Shoreham soon and I’m currently researching my routing around Liverpool. I have looked at the LLC between Liverpool and Manchester which will probably be my routing but I was wondering if there were any recommended routings west of Liverpool? I was thinking perhaps West of Blackpool - Wallasey - Flint Bridge. I’m not sure if I would be likely to get a zone transit from Liverpool or whether they’d just advise me to route via the LLC. It’s a busy piece of airspace and I’m finding trying to decipher the various layers displayed on RunwayHD tricky. I’d like to have a few backup routes loosely planned during my planning phase.

All help/advice appreciated.

Cheers,

David

broken headset
22nd Jan 2018, 08:11
You could always go Prestwick to the Isle of Man and then to North Wales. If it's a nice day the water crossing will seem short and there is great scenery.

NorthSouth
22nd Jan 2018, 08:57
I've done Blackpool-Wallasey-Holywell/Flint a few times. If you actually fly over the Wallasey VOR Liverpool may insist on you remaining below CAS (1500ft) but if you stay offshore you can be at 1900ft.
Liverpool may give you a clearance through their CAS (less likely if they are using 09). If you're speaking to Warton on the way down they're usually very good at speaking to Liverpool to pre-arrange your clearance then handing you over.
Manchester LLC is fun but if you haven't been before, good idea to take a look at the photos online of the various VRPs so you know what you're looking for.

toddm
22nd Jan 2018, 20:36
Hi, thank you for the suggestions. I’d be happy asking for a transit but need a plan if it’s not possible. I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with the length of the water crossing routing via the IOM but I imagine the scenery would be amazing.

Routing west of Liverpool. I was considering routing via WAL so would be constrained to 1500 feet outside CAS but not a problem. I’ll call them up and see what they say :)

Yes I’ll need to familiarise myself with the landmarks in the LLC as I’ve heard it can get pretty busy!

Cheers again!

David

Nobodys Desk
23rd Jan 2018, 06:31
Rather than head into the LLC, I'd ask for transit via LPL & WHI. Never heard that refused when I worked there.