PDA

View Full Version : THALES vs Honeywell on A320

Shamrock90
18th Jan 2018, 14:51
Hi all I just have a question about the FMS on the A320, I am experienced with the THALES system and was just wondering if any one with experience with the Honeywell FMS can tell me if the FMS landing system (FLS) feature is available for NPA approaches on the Honeywell FMS, if not do you have something equivalent?

Thank you all in advance!

gnarlberg
18th Jan 2018, 15:59
We had AC with both Thales and Honeywell. neither had FLS. this is an option your airline can buy and add...

underfire
18th Jan 2018, 16:59
Isnt the FLS only on A380 and A350?

Bus Driver Man
19th Jan 2018, 16:34
Some of the new functions from the A380/A350 are also possible on A320. It depends on the operator.

KayPam
19th Jan 2018, 18:18
The FLS is indeed possible on the 320.
Which is fortunate because it's available on much simpler and cheaper planes like the SR20.

Denti
19th Jan 2018, 19:17
And has been available for more than a decade on the 737...

Check Airman
19th Jan 2018, 20:04
The FLS is indeed possible on the 320.
Which is fortunate because it's available on much simpler and cheaper planes like the SR20.

I assume you're referring to WAAS with LPV minima?

In terms of avionics, I'm not sure you can say a Cirrus (or 172 for that matter) is simpler than a modern Boeing or Airbus. With the exception of the A380/787 and newer avionics suites, the GA sector has been way ahead for at least the last 10-15 years.

FlightDetent
19th Jan 2018, 20:31
... What good is FLS if somebody "smart" coded a fix 5,3 NM short of RWY as exactly 800' AFE with a 3 deg profile.

And the crew is not allowed to modify it, as well as not sharp enough to see the result before physically arriving there ...

Bus Driver Man
19th Jan 2018, 21:53
And has been available for more than a decade on the 737...
I think FLS is different. FLS creates a pseudo LOC an G/S signal for most RNAV, VOR and NDB approaches. It extends the final course and glide to 20 nm. This is different than FINAL APP mode or LNAV/VNAV where, in Airbus at least, you have to be laterally and vertically at the FAP in order to engage the guidance. You can intercept the FLS anywhere you like, just like an ILS and it's corrected for cold temperature.

I've never flown the 737, so I could be wrong. And a similar system like FLS is probably already a lot longer available on general aviation jets.

Denti
20th Jan 2018, 06:54
Yes, pretty much the same as you get on IAN. No temperature correction though. No requirement to have FDs on which allows an ILS alike "raw data" approach and full GPWS mode 5 compatibility as well. And unlike normal managed approaches no difference between LOC and other non precision approaches in procedure, or ILS/GLS for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, i do like the A320, but the avionics felt like stepping back in time, although even the 737 classic could display several layers of information at once. Good that they offer FLS now, just still miss the vertical situation display and of course larger screens.