PDA

View Full Version : Another 'Skills test pass' post!!!

Grim Reaper 14
20th Jul 2002, 14:58
Sorry Sennadog, but I had to do the same. After much fannying about and about 57 hours, I yesterday passed my GFT and am also about to start bugging the CAA for my license.

The test itself went so well that I'm really starting to wonder what I was getting so tense about.

Left Shoreham at about 1130, heading for a small village just East of Ashford, then the next leg on to Stapleford. Managed to think that I'd got myself lost about 10 minutes away from Brighton Marina, but thankfully recognised a few distinctive ground features to remind me to trust my navigation skills a bit more and continue on my 065 o heading. FREDA checks were ok as we went along and then before I knew it, we were, I mean I was turning us towards Stapleford. After about 6 or 7 minutes, I was told to divert to Lydd, which I found was approximately 162 o (give or take), and was then delighted to hear that I could track in using the VOR, fantastic! Having overflown Lydd, the General Handling began. I have to admit to feeling extremely daft when I was told that I had a simulated cabin fire, but proceded to use my 'engine fire' drill!
"You've got a cabin fire and you want to lose your engine too?!"
I'm not sure who was redder. Me through embarrassment or the examiner laughing....
Moving swiftly on, a couple of position fixes, PFL, EFATO and it was away back to Shoreham for circuits. First one normal, nailed it. Second flapless, nailed that too. Third and last, a short field 'precision' (no room in the circuit for a 'glide').
"Land right next to the PAPI's". Next to them? I nearly landed on them! But at least I was only on one wheel....Couldn't believe I had made such a cock-up of the very last thing, probably guaranteeing myself a fail. The examiner said nothing until after shutdown, when he broke his silence by saying, "Let's go and have a cup of tea shall we?" Damn! I'd failed...

Sat down for tea to be told about all the things I'd done wrong, which was finished off with, "...but none of them were anything like serious enough to generate a fail marking...so well done, you've passed".

Staggered? Ecstatic? About to start shaking hands and not be able to stop? Imminent mobile phone meltdown by way of text messages? ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!

I still can't believe it. A big thank you to everyone I've had the privilege of dealing with since this odyssey began. Trainers, admin staff, PPRuNers (especially Evo 7, Flying For Fun, Ifonly, the list is endless), FTC in South Africa, The Flying Hut in Shoreham, those with more experience than me, those with less, but equally as relevant experience as me, those who've never even heard of me (can I shake your hand, or send you a text message?).

I'm exhausted but elated, head filled with thoughts of "what next?". To be honest, nothing. No night rating, no IMC, nothing. I just want to start being able to fly for fun, pressure off, and really begin to use my licence to learn in earnest.

Phew.....:D :cool: :D :cool: ;)

Evo7
20th Jul 2002, 15:45
Congratulations to you too, GR - and a great post about it, too. Not too long until mine, so I'm taking notes ;) :)

Hoping to get mine finished by the end of August (there, jinxed the weather for y'all down south :) ) so I think that a new-PPLers bash of some sort is definitely in order... :)

SKYYACHT
20th Jul 2002, 16:17
Grim Reaper - I take it you were examined by Colin C? I note that your location is London. I too fly from the hut, and live west london.....if you fancy splitting an aeroplane sometime? e-mail me if you wish. Congratulations on the pass!!!!! Now you can really enjoy yourself!

+:)

ifonly
20th Jul 2002, 18:54
Just add my congrats through this forum. I was with 'The bird from LHR' and 'Him who resides on the South Coast' when you called me. Both offer their congratulations. Welcome to the land of bad weather and having no money !!:) :) :)

LowNSlow
21st Jul 2002, 10:33
Well done GR 14 sounds like you had a ggod time of it. Now the fun starts. :D

Stay off the PAPI's or you'll be meeting your namesake :D :D :D

AerBabe
21st Jul 2002, 11:59
Well done! Another one through :)
Have to organise another fly in soon for all these new PPLs :cool:

sennadog
21st Jul 2002, 17:49
Grim Reaper 14 , you sound a bit chuffed with yourself!:p

Many congratulations mate - I bet you feel great! I reckon Evo has had a cunning plan all these months and is preying on our good sides with all this help he's given out - at some stage he's going to cash in his beer tokens.;)

We definitely need to organise a Fly In at some stage - maybe the end of September?

Fujiflyer
21st Jul 2002, 18:18
Well done, mate. It doesn't seem that long ago that you were trying to decide where to train. ;) I was nervious when I did my NFT & GFT but its worth it, imagine what an IR test would feel like though.
:rolleyes:

How about a EGKA fly-in?

Fujiflyer :) :cool:

Final 3 Greens
22nd Jul 2002, 06:12
Well done GR14, welcome ot the Club.

Who has control?
22nd Jul 2002, 09:59
Well done GR14 :)