PDA

View Full Version : Identification card when "plugged in"

atcsstudent
17th Jan 2018, 19:45
Hi colleagues!!! I would like to know if in any country apart from Spain, do you have to put an identification card when you are working?
And if we forget to take it off we can be fined by the Spanish Air Safety Agency (so ridiculous).
Cheers!!

ZOOKER
17th Jan 2018, 19:53
Ah, OPM Cards, I remember them well, at EGCCZQ and EGPXZQ.

atcsstudent
17th Jan 2018, 20:07
Ah, OPM Cards, I remember them well, at EGCCZQ and EGPXZQ.
So none of them anymore?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Jan 2018, 21:14
Where I once worked we were supposed to press the intercom key and input our initials. After a while they discovered that one ATCO was working H24 on all positions.... and it was the same man!!!

chevvron
17th Jan 2018, 23:43
I remember seeing OPM cards in use at Terminal Control when it was at West Drayton but when we at Farnborough started OPM, we just had to log on via a PC either in Approach or in the tower.
Which was fine until the one in the tower 'crashed' and we couldn't restore the software for OPM. On asking NATS for help we were told there was no funding for OPM 'support'; all funding was used on setting it up at airports, so you just had to 'log in' on the approach PC then rush upstairs quickly, remembering to go for a pee before you logged in.

Mooncrest
18th Jan 2018, 10:20
At EGNM a decade or two ago, the start and finish of each watch was punctuated by a transmission from the Tower controller giving the initials of the controllers coming on duty and of those signing off. Caveat: at least I THINK that is what that transmission was all about. Whatever its purpose it certainly doesn't happen now. Would the Watch Log record this information anyway ?

AyrTC
18th Jan 2018, 10:44
I think Operational Position Monitoring (OPM)cards are in widespread use especially at the Area Control Units.

18th Jan 2018, 13:14
We use OPM in AC. Its not the worlds most reliable system. If we got fined for it not registering then I'd be very poor...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jan 2018, 12:16
<<Would the Watch Log record this information anyway ? >>

Not at a busy unit otherwise the log books would soon fill up!

mebur_verce
20th Jan 2018, 10:06
We do use our personal identification card in Italy, in all units.
It is only used - at least in theory - to log the amount of hours we work for each sector/group of sectors/unit endorsement.

atcsstudent
23rd Jan 2018, 11:32
And, in how many sectors can you work in each shift?