PDA

View Full Version : Airline Call Signs

Pages : [1] 2

GemDeveloper
17th Jan 2018, 19:31
When I was a lad, all those years ago, there was a number of airline call signs that were not as mundane as the airline name, but did have some connection. Pan Am was ‘Clipper’ (who remembers “This is the Clipper One” as if it was the only flight that had ever arrived in Europe? Presumably the pilots had to wind themselves up on their seats before calling anyone in European radar), Air 2000 was ‘Jetset’, which I thought was rather nice, Canadian Pacific Airlines was ‘Empress’, and the Kiwis were ‘Teal’, an acknowledgement to their ancestry as Tasman Empire Airways Limited. Those first three examples no longer are with us, and the Kiwis rather boringly announce themselves as ‘New Zealand’ these days.

The only call signs that I can immediately think of that are just that tad obscure and still in use are ‘Speedbird’, ‘Shamrock’ and ‘Springbok’. So the questions are:

• Can anyone think of any other, current or historic, call signs used by the larger carriers (there are some slightly obscure names in use by small and charter operators), that are not immediately connectable to the airline name?

• Does anyone know when Air New Zealand (formed, I see, on 1 April 1965), stopped using ‘Teal’?

And then for those who have a Transport Command pedigree…

I can remember a summer trogging all round the Mediterranean at the end of the 1970s as a supernumerary in a Whistling Wheelbarrow… and I am sure that the call sign used was ‘Ascot’. Elsewhere, I see that the current RAF call sign is ‘Rafair’. Can anyone help with whether ‘Ascot’ no longer is used (perhaps it was dropped to avoid confusion with One’s Landau when it’s on short finals for the home straight to open Ladies’ Day at Royal Ascot)? And, if it’s still in use, what determines whether ‘Rafair’ or ‘Ascot’ is given to a particular flight?

Bill Macgillivray
17th Jan 2018, 20:16
"Ascot" = Air Support Command operationtal traffic. As the Royal Air Force (Happy Birthday!) now only has an Air Command for everything it has long gone!

Bill.

ExAscoteer
17th Jan 2018, 20:20
During my time ASCOT was a c/s used by the 1 Group (later 38 Group) Transport Fleet: eg Hercules C1 were ASCOT 4xxx and Hercules C3 were Ascot 5xxx.

ASCOT had been inherited and stood for Air Support Command Operational Tasking.

RAFAIR was used on overseas flights by non Transport Fleet aircraft such as Nimrods when deploying to Cyprus, or Dominies on overseas trainers. The callsign block on the Flight Plan would be filled in as: RFR.

Musket90
17th Jan 2018, 20:39
These come to mind - Canada 3000 "Elite", Titan Airways "Zap", Thomas Cook previously "Globe" then "Topjet" then "Kestrel". Another Uk Charter Airline in the 90's, possibly Air World used "Envoy"

DaveReidUK
17th Jan 2018, 21:11
Nowadays Rafair (ICAO RFR) tends to be used by fast jets, helicopters, Tucanos, etc while Ascot (ICAO RRR) will typically be a 146, Voyager, A400M, C17, etc.

Some present-day callsigns that spring to mind include China Airlines "Dynasty", Virgin America "Redwood", AirAsia X "Xanadu", Jetstar Japan "Orange Liner".

eckhard
17th Jan 2018, 21:34
“Nitro” TNT?
“Brickyard” American Eagle, operated by Republic.
“Cactus” America West then US Airways.
“Giant” USAF MAC.
“Reach” USAF MAC.

Herod
17th Jan 2018, 21:42
Does anyone know when Air New Zealand (formed, I see, on 1 April 1965), stopped using ‘Teal’?

Funnily enough, the same date as Her Majesty, perhaps against her better judgement, saw fit to grant me a commission.

kcockayne
17th Jan 2018, 22:35
Diverging from the actual question asked, but relevant to the Ascot & Rafair question; who remembers the RAF five letter "registrations" written on the black nose radome of the Hastings - MOGCC etc; & the Varsities with MPTLA etc. ? I think I also remember the Beverley used the same call sign system.
What was the origin of these ?

treadigraph
17th Jan 2018, 22:35
Clipper One as I recall was Pan Am's east-bound round the world flight and Clipper Two was west bound. Is that right?

BEA were Bealine, not remit of the question though.

Military Airlift Command used to be MAC followed by the aircraft's FY serial, though I gather if, say, C-5 70-0446 had gone tits up on the ramp, and 70-0457 flew the mission, the flight planned serial was used! My teenage spotter's logbook was a tissue of lies folks...

chevvron
17th Jan 2018, 23:36
Diverging from the actual question asked, but relevant to the Ascot & Rafair question; who remembers the RAF five letter "registrations" written on the black nose radome of the Hastings - MOGCC etc; & the Varsities with MPTLA etc. ? I think I also remember the Beverley used the same call sign system.
Farnborough based aircraft were allocated in the sequence MPDX- eg MPDXA was Comet XV814. The last one ever allocated was when we got the Dakota (KG661/ZA947) from West Freugh so we gave it MPDXY.

Anilv
18th Jan 2018, 00:20
Krueger -MK Airline (cargo airline,not the one in Mauritius) // named for its boss.
Dynasty -China Airlines (Taipei)
Xanadu -Air Asia X
Quality - TNT Air

Anilv

jensdad
18th Jan 2018, 00:33
A rather boring one, but I like the fact that Flybe still use 'Jersey'. A nice nod back to their origins as Jersey European.

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 01:01
I heard some upstart airline using 'Bealine' the other day; shouldn't be allowed as whoever it is can't be anything like BEA.

A681001
18th Jan 2018, 04:56
Wikipedia has a list, didn't t know there where that many :eek:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes_(0–9)

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 06:04
If you want a list of spoken callsigns, the ICAO one is hard to beat.

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 06:07
When I was a lad, all those years ago, there was a number of airline call signs that were not as mundane as the airline name, but did have some connection. Pan Am was ‘Clipper’ (who remembers “This is the Clipper One” as if it was the only flight that had ever arrived in Europe? Presumably the pilots had to wind themselves up on their seats before calling anyone in European radar), Air 2000 was ‘Jetset’, which I thought was rather nice, Canadian Pacific Airlines was ‘Empress’, and the Kiwis were ‘Teal’, an acknowledgement to their ancestry as Tasman Empire Airways Limited. Those first three examples no longer are with us, and the Kiwis rather boringly announce themselves as ‘New Zealand’ these days.

'Clipper One' was Pan Am's flagship flight; it was a 'round the world' service westbound from the USA; 'Clipper Two' was the opposite direction equivalent.

ian16th
18th Jan 2018, 07:21
Isn't it true that once created, an airline cannot change its call sign?

Hence SAA is still Springbok.

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 08:31
Isn't it true that once created, an airline cannot change its call sign?

Hence SAA is still Springbok.
No, NetJets have changed several times.(Skyshare, Fraction)

rog747
18th Jan 2018, 09:02
beetours was bea airtours/british airtours

jetset was air2000

kestrel was airtours intl

aspro was IEA (i think)

Mooncrest
18th Jan 2018, 10:33
I believe Bealine is used by British Airways tugs at Heathrow.

Jet2 still uses Channex.

About a hundred years ago Northeast Airlines (the British one) was using either Norjet or Norprop regardless of aircraft type. I don't know why they didn't use Northeast. Then after the BA amalgamation the callsign was variously Albion or Bealine until about 1980 when Speedbird found its way to the Regional fleet.

This subject was discussed on here about ten years ago so it may be in the archive. I started it !

22/04
18th Jan 2018, 10:40
One I don't like is the UK long-haul Norwegian=Red Nose

But of course Thomas Cook=kestrel, various freight operators=quality, Aer Lingus=shamrock, Indigo (India) =Ifly, West Atlantic = Neptune, RVL = Endurance etc etc.

jensdad
18th Jan 2018, 10:45
I never knew that Northeast had two callsigns, Mooncrest. Thanks for that info! About 10 or 15 years ago I was listening to my airband (don't tell the feds) and about the time the last Heathrow-Toon Shuttle (Shuttle 12T) was due in I heard an old fella calling up as 'Northeast 12T' . Turns out it was an ex-Northeast captain's last flight before retirement. A nice touch, but did they get the callsign wrong?!

Offchocks
18th Jan 2018, 10:47
Virgin America callsign until a week ago was “Redwood”.
Having been bought by Alaska Airlines the callsign is now “Alaska”, I gather Virgin America will cease operations in April having been integrated into Alaska Airlines.

Level bust
18th Jan 2018, 10:51
Someone used the callsign Nugget. My memory is not what it used to be, but I think it was the RAE shuttle, generally a Dove from Farnborough to Bedford.

Didn't Bae use the c/s Tibbet for there positioning a/c?

22/04
18th Jan 2018, 11:04
Yep RAE used Nugget- Dove shuttles between Bedford and Farnborough etc.

Tibbet (or teppit?) was the BAe Hatfield callsign if remember. Chester was Newpin, Woodford Avro (still used) , BAC Hurn Llama, Handley Page Hanair.

Qinetic still use Gauntlet and Tester (ETPS) IIRC

22/04
18th Jan 2018, 11:06
And the fictitious Glassjar (unless it was really supermarine) used in "Sound Barrier"

Too young to remember

And at Cranfield where I am today we still use "Aeronaut"

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 11:06
Someone used the callsign Nugget. My memory is not what it used to be, but I think it was the RAE shuttle, generally a Dove from Farnborough to Bedford.

Didn't Bae use the c/s Tibbet for there positioning a/c?

Nugget (RAE) was the callsign for pilots based at all the RAEs, Farnborough, Bedford, Llanbedr, West Freugh and the last unit to use it was Farnborough, Bedford having closed and the other two airfields using 'Tee-bird' when they became 'Test and Evaluation Establishments' rather than 'RAEs'.
When Farnborough test flying moved to Boscombe Down, the pilot's callsigns all changed to 'Gauntlet'(BDN). According to the ICAO listing, Nugget has been re-assigned now.
Tibbet was Hatfield test pilots callsigns; BAe Warton test pilots use 'Tarnish'.

spekesoftly
18th Jan 2018, 11:26
At one time didn't BAe (HSA) shuttle pilots use the callsign 'Felix' ?

And Bedford test pilots 'Blackbox' ?

classic200
18th Jan 2018, 12:12
“Nitro” TNT?
“Giant” USAF MAC.
“Reach” USAF MAC.

"Giant" is Atlas Air, although they do operate many CRAF flights.

Plane Speaker
18th Jan 2018, 12:41
BAE Corporate Air Travel (CAT) do use Felix...as in "Felix the CAT"

Simtech
18th Jan 2018, 13:34
'Blackbox' was the callsign for the Radar Research Squadron at Pershore, then Bedford. I still have my personalised squadron mug, presented to me by Blackbox Delta.

spekesoftly
18th Jan 2018, 13:55
My thanks to Plane Speaker and Simtech for your replies.

Another question if I may, and it's a real long shot. Does anyone know what callsign was used by the De Havilland Sea Vixen test pilots at Christchurch and Hurn back in the 1950s?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jan 2018, 14:45
We used to hear 'AVRO' callsigns going in and out of Woodford. And I'm sure I've heard 'GHOSTRIDER' on RT as well.

ASCOT reminds me of the exchange which may be apocryphal:

"London Military good afternoon, ASCOT 123. We're an Andover on handover over Dover, over".

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jan 2018, 15:01
The old Concorde callsign 'SPEEDBIRD 1' is, I understand, now used by a lowly A318 out of London Docklands for New York via Shannon.

G-ARZG
18th Jan 2018, 15:07
Early 70's 'Raffles One', always sounded like 'Airforce 1', but was
Baron G-AYID, frequent LHR visitor

l.garey
18th Jan 2018, 15:11

Yes, Beverleys used a similar system. I noted the following in the 1960s: XB168 MOBXD; XB284 MOBXH; XL148 MOBCY. The last letter was carried on the tail also.

Laurence

Skipness One Echo
18th Jan 2018, 15:25
BAe Prestwick used PWK = "Tennant", the younger me thought the Jetstreams were the corporate aircraft for the lager company.

Air Sinclair SCK = "ClanKing" for an Islander which literally did.
Highland Express had VY/TTN = "Tartan" which I liked.

Cole Burner
18th Jan 2018, 16:48
I have heard the callsign "Vicars" a few times - Church of England Air Services maybe? :E

Musket90
18th Jan 2018, 16:59
Royal Flights - "Kitty" positioning, "Kittyhawk" with Royal on board. "Rainbow" with Prince Phillip at controls and "Unicorn" if Prince Charles.

Haven't a clue
18th Jan 2018, 17:48
My personal favourite is the very appropriate "Vortex" used by the RAF Chinooks

NRU74
18th Jan 2018, 18:33
Those on the UK Beverley Squadron in the UK in the 60’s will recall that the call signs for use only in the UK were allocated by the ‘Siggies’
The Wg Cdr in charge of the Air Transport Development Unit (ATDU) had a very slight speech impediment and his allocated callsign was always ABC or whatever followed by 66 which the said Wg Cdr Shandy S pronounced as schlix schlix

DaveReidUK
18th Jan 2018, 18:42
I have heard the callsign "Vicars" a few times - Church of England Air Services maybe? :E

Sadly, the explanation is more earthly - VSEL (Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd, latterly part of BAE Systems Marine) to whom the prefix (VSB) and callsign (Vickers) is still allocated.

They had (may still have) a couple of King Air 200s based at Walney Island.

Cole Burner
18th Jan 2018, 19:55
Sadly, the explanation is more earthly - VSEL (Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd, latterly part of BAE Systems Marine) to whom the prefix (VSB) and callsign (Vickers) is still allocated.

They had (may still have) a couple of King Air 200s based at Walney Island.

I thought it probably was but the image of a couple of pilots in dog collars still makes me smile! :\:}

Liffy 1M
18th Jan 2018, 21:42
'Clipper One' was Pan Am's flagship flight; it was a 'round the world' service eastbound(I think) from the USA; 'Clipper Two' was the opposite direction equivalent.

Clipper 1 was the westbound service, in line with Pan Am's system, which had odd numbers for all westbound flights. On a slightly related point, I recall being in the USA and hearing Pan Am Express Dash 7s and ATR-42s using "Pan Am" as their callsign.

Wycombe
18th Jan 2018, 22:08
“Giant” USAF MAC.

Incorrect, "Giant" is Atlas Air I believe. They do fly charters for MAC though.

Pom Pax
19th Jan 2018, 00:04
Clipper 1 & 2 were not true round the world services as Pan Am had no internal US rights. So Clipper 1 turned round in 'Frisco becoming Clipper 2 and returned New York West bound.

chevvron
19th Jan 2018, 02:45
Yep RAE used Nugget- Dove shuttles between Bedford and Farnborough etc.

Not just the Bedford Ferry operated by Transport Flight (Devons - not Doves - and occasionally the Dakota and latterly Navajo Chieftains); all RAE Farnborough pilots in Experimental Flying Department (comprising Experimental Flying Squadron [A, B and C Flights], Transport Flight and IAM Flight) had a personal number preceded by 'Nugget' whilst Met Research Flight at Farnborough initially used Nugget but in the late 80s became 'Metman'(MRF).
When the Farnborough Experimental Flying Wing (as it became in the '90s) moved to Boscombe in '94 they became 'Gauntlet' followed by the pilot's personal number.
Dunsfold test pilots used 'Hawker' followed either by a letter (Hawker Delta - Duncan Simpson) or a number (Hawker 97 - John Farley).
One that always puzzled me was 'Bluebell One', usually a Varsity operating out of West Malling; what did it do?

chevvron
19th Jan 2018, 02:51
Early 70's 'Raffles One', always sounded like 'Airforce 1', but was
Baron G-AYID, frequent LHR visitor

I only remember Raffles One as being a Dove (c1969 - 1971)

chevvron
19th Jan 2018, 03:03
My thanks to Plane Speaker and Simtech for your replies.

Another question if I may, and it's a real long shot. Does anyone know what callsign was used by the De Havilland Sea Vixen test pilots at Christchurch and Hurn back in the 1950s?
When they converted some Sea Vixens to drones at Farnborough, the test pilot used a 'Rushton' callsign, flying up from Tarrant Rushton to either test fly them or ferry them to Llanbedr.

chevvron
19th Jan 2018, 03:10
I never knew that Northeast had two callsigns, Mooncrest. Thanks for that info! About 10 or 15 years ago I was listening to my airband (don't tell the feds) and about the time the last Heathrow-Toon Shuttle (Shuttle 12T) was due in I heard an old fella calling up as 'Northeast 12T' . Turns out it was an ex-Northeast captain's last flight before retirement. A nice touch, but did they get the callsign wrong?!

Northeast was the amalgamation of 'BKS' and 'Channel'. I can remember 'BKS Yankee Delta' becoming 'Northeast Yankee Delta', the 'Yankee Delta' being the aircraft's (Trident 2E) 'last two'.

rog747
19th Jan 2018, 06:10
Northeast was the amalgamation of 'BKS' and 'Channel'. I can remember 'BKS Yankee Delta' becoming 'Northeast Yankee Delta', the 'Yankee Delta' being the aircraft's (Trident 2E) 'last two'.

BKS became BAS with Cambrian (BAS british air services) then Northeast

they did not merge with Channel AW - who went bust

Northeast did then obtain the 2 ex Channel Tridents which were YB and YE to join their own YC/YD
YA having gone to air ceylon as Channel did not NTU all 5

YD was w/off in Spain

all the a/c were Trident OneE's not 2e's

Cambrian had a jet fleet of ex channel and autair 1-11 400's

treadigraph
19th Jan 2018, 07:07
One that always puzzled me was 'Bluebell One', usually a Varsity operating out of West Malling; what did it do?

That puzzled me because I have a very vague recollection of it, not sure why: however Google and PPRuNe are your friends, as lo and behold, from this very boutique, namely the Varsity thread (https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/333015-vickers-varsity-4.html#post4496229)...

WL 681 was indeed a Shorts operated aircraft. My father Peter Harrison was Chief TP for Shorts Flying Services Division and operated WL 681 on equipment trials from Rochester 1953 to 1964 and from West Malling 1964 until he retired in 1977. Bluebell 1 was his call sign taken from the small village near Rochester airfield, Bluebell Hill where we lived. He is still with us today and at 92 remains an avid reader of Flight each week.

While at West Malling they also operated two other Varsitys. When I can get to his log books I will post the serial numbers.

Nick Harrison

browndhc2
19th Jan 2018, 10:25
Here are a few obsolete UK callsigns for the list;Intra Airways "Chanisle", SouthWest Aviation "Skyavia",AB Airlines "Aztec",and finally Air Southwest "Swallow".

jensdad
19th Jan 2018, 17:45
What were the two Air Wales' (2000s ATR42s and 1980s Bandeirantes) callsigns? I seem to recall the ATRs using 'Red Dragon' but it might be my imagination!

22/04
19th Jan 2018, 18:26
Airtours used tourjet for a while. Can anyone remember Astraeus's callsign- was something like starjet. Have I mentioned Chalgrove for Martin Baker?

Liffy 1M
19th Jan 2018, 18:38
Airtours used tourjet for a while. Can anyone remember Astraeus's callsign- was something like starjet. Have I mentioned Chalgrove for Martin Baker?

"Flystar" for Astraeus. And "Red Dragon" is correct for Air Wales. "Starjet" was used by Novair, I'm pretty sure. They succeeded Cal-Air which used "Caljet".

mustbeaboeing
19th Jan 2018, 18:47
“EuroFlite”. Hope it counts as an ‘airline’. Early to mid 1980’s. Scheduled service originally from / to Luton LTN EGGW & Brussels BRU EBBR. Starting with Cessna 404 Titan and graduating to a E110 Bandeirante Eventually also serving East Midlands EMA EGNX

pax britanica
19th Jan 2018, 18:59
Middle east Airlines used to use 'Cedarjet' do they still? The flight numbers 202 LHR-Beirut are unchanged from the 1960s when it was a B720.

BWIA were Bee Wee or West Indian

i also remember LHR ATC shortening some call signs as well Scandi and Lufty being the ones that stick in my mind.

Defunct because they are no longer around would include
TWA -Transworld
Seaboard and Western -Seaboard
Flying Tiger line-Tiger- very cool
National Airlines (National One being the daily LHR-MIA DC8 later 10 always with a pilot with a southern accent and the WW2 style girls name under the flight deck windows to fit in with their entirely non PC advertising)

Happy days back then with a great variety of aircraft types and unusual airlines operating funny schedules like Iraqi Airways Viscounts only on Sundays (about 6 stops from Baghdad) and Aerolinas Argentinas Comets who I think were also Sunday visitors.

Very different to the endless parade of A320 series and T7s which seem to take up about 75% of movements today

DaveReidUK
19th Jan 2018, 19:09
Middle east Airlines used to use 'Cedarjet' do they still?

They do indeed.

spekesoftly
19th Jan 2018, 19:45
TNT's 'Nitro' callsign always made me smile.

Westlakejawa
19th Jan 2018, 20:01
Clipper 1 & 2 were not true round the world services as Pan Am had no internal US rights. So Clipper 1 turned round in 'Frisco becoming Clipper 2 and returned New York West bound.

Many moons ago listening to the wireless(not radio then)tuned to company frequency,Clipper 1 called asking that meals be ready for all the crew upon arrival at Heathrow,(carrier wave only) company must have queried why,broad American accent"Goddam mouse in the galley"------------query re passengers?"Hell no mam we've fed them ok".

chevvron
20th Jan 2018, 02:25
What were the two Air Wales' (2000s ATR42s and 1980s Bandeirantes) callsigns? I seem to recall the ATRs using 'Red Dragon' but it might be my imagination!
'Red Dragon' was originally used by the Prince of Wales when he was learning to fly helicopters with the Navy.

chevvron
20th Jan 2018, 02:27

Admittedly I haven't done radar for 9 years but 9 years ago, Martin Baker used the callsign 'Martin' at least for the Meteor.

FAR CU
20th Jan 2018, 04:24
In June of 1968 I was overnighting Charleville in Queensland on a charter to further out. At 0500, wandered to the Charleville Flight Service Unit to stick in a flight plan. Duly did that. Like many remote FSUs in those days, they were, depending on the shift, manned by one bloke only. So in the shouse there was a speaker allowing any incumbent to do his business while monitoring traffic.

That long-winded preamble was only to set the scene for myself listening in that same small room to a very British accent calling Charleville.

"Charleville, Speedbird Seven Oh Three, do you read? ".

"Loud and clear Birdseed ."

"Charleville, I say again, this is SPEEDBIRD Seven Oh Three . . .. "

"Okay Birdseed . . . . are you wanting to give me your Charleville position?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, it was the same cove who would not reply to a preflight , pre flight plan lodgement, test call on both VHFs.

So, I go into the office and ask him did he read me at all?

And he says . .. . "yeah . . . two by two. . . .. too loud and too often".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_ One other total segue . .. . .. while working at Perth Airport, Western Australia in mid 1965, I saw a British registered 749 Connie landing just after daybreak. She taxied to the freight apron. That aircraft had a big Ace of Spades painted on the tail. And it was the grubbiest 749 you could imagine.
After shutting down, the front door opened and a man let down a light extension ladder, which, first closing the door , he climbed down. He put the ladder flat on the ground under the 749. Carrying a small case, he disappeared in the direction of the cab rank.

To this day, I believe he was the sole occupant of that 749. (Not being a plane-spotter, I neglected to note the rego, apart from the G-????).

Anyone full of doubt, consider that the late Bryan Monkton, who bought four Sunderlands from the RAAF round 1949, flew one at Rathmines on Lake Macquarie, one calm early morning, entirely on his pat. Slipped the mooring, started engines, did a ten minute local, put down, shut down and judged it so finely that he could go below, open the front hatch and hook onto the mooring.

"And you wouldn't read about it in the PIX!"

(That was a popular saying in Australia 60 - 70 years ago, as PIX magazine was risque for those times.
https://www.paperworld.com.au/magazines/pix.html )

TCU
20th Jan 2018, 10:02
Apols drift, but FAR CU wondering if your Connie was G-ALAL....Ace Freighters?

rog747
20th Jan 2018, 11:09
airways intl cymru ? (1-11 and 737) was that red dragon>?

pulse1
20th Jan 2018, 12:02
Someone mentioned "Rushton" used by the Sea Vixen drone conversions. That call sign is still used by the Cobham Falcons out of Bournemouth.

pax britanica
20th Jan 2018, 12:42
Thanks Mr Reid-I am glad to ehar that, always had a soft spot for them hanging on through all the troubles.

i had the pleasure of flying MEA back in the day- very nice trip with some of the most stylish and elegant ladies ever to grace the aisles of a Boeing.

ICM
20th Jan 2018, 13:36
Further to Speedbird/Birdseed, does anyone else recall a story from the 60s of a "Speedkok Bangbird" call being made to the Bangkok BOAC office?

Airbanda
20th Jan 2018, 14:00

As already pointed out BKS to Northeast was a straight rename. Designed to reflect the airline's services to Newcastle, Leeds etc rather than initials of it's founders Messrs Barnby, Keegan and Stevens. I think it became part of BEA owned British Air Services about the same time.

Channel Airways, for whom at least some of BKS/Northeast's Tridents were built, ceased operations at end of February 1972. BEA though had a Channel Islands Division operating Jersey/Guernsey services and also those from Birmingham. A Scottish division ran internal services in Scotland and some London services such as Wick and Inverness.

Northeast, Cambrian, Scottish and Channel Islands were rolled together as Regional from April 1976. Initially they used a mix of Bealine and Speedbird callsigns, Leeds to London for example being BE/Bealine 4403 an d so on. They quickly reverted however to NS/Northeast, probably because of callsign confusion in London TMA and on ground at LHR. BZ/Albion came along c1977.

ZOOKER
20th Jan 2018, 14:12
Scotland's Air Sinclair used 'Clan King'.......Affectionately known in ATC as 'Clanking'.
At one time, they had a 748 that used 'Clan Speed'.

SSD mentioned 'Ghostrider' above. I seem to remember it was a Danish Jetstream, and it was actually 'Coastrider'.

Before we had the callsign word printed on the strips, one of our controllers kept calling a BOSAL a/c 'BOZO'. Pilot wasn't amused.

Polar Air Cargo used 'Polar Tiger', and I think Great Wall, (a Chinese freight outfit) used 'Taipan.

Emery Air Cargo was 'Rosenbaum'....Or often 'Rosie'.

Northern Executive Aviation, based at EGCC was 'NEATAX".

Excailbur used 'Camelot', Air 2000 'Jetset', Aer Lingus used 'Are Lingus' when I started in '79.

Mooncrest
20th Jan 2018, 14:23
Airways International Cymru used 'Welsh Air' for their c/s. 'Red Dragon' was definitely used by Air Wales (the ATR operator).

ZOOKER
20th Jan 2018, 14:33
Lionair 747s used 'TAG'.

Emerald Airways were 'Gemstone'. Manx, Euromanx and Spacegrand were also heard above The Irish Sea over the years.

Dora-9
20th Jan 2018, 17:55
Early 70's 'Raffles One',

More recently, "Raffles" was used by Singapore Flying College Lear 45's based out of Maroochydore, Qld.

Dora-9
20th Jan 2018, 17:57
Further to Speedbird/Birdseed

Then you'd have the tossers that called themselves "THE Speedbird", which always caused gales of derisive laughter in every other flight deck that heard this.

Herod
20th Jan 2018, 19:11
Trundling along a taxiway, in a Shorts 3-60, when ATC advised the Speedbird "after the 3-60". Some smart**s female pilot came back with "after the shed". I can call it a shed, I'm flying it, she can't. I'm still proud of my quick reply. "ahead of the seedy-bird"

Liffy 1M
20th Jan 2018, 19:38
Defunct because they are no longer around would include
TWA -Transworld

Very different to the endless parade of A320 series and T7s which seem to take up about 75% of movements today

I only recall TWA using T-W-A rather than "Transworld" but maybe the latter was used during an earlier period.

Bittell Lakes
20th Jan 2018, 20:38
Birmingham Exec Airways was BIRMEX, obviously.

dc9-32
21st Jan 2018, 05:23
Cougar used "Speedcat"....

Offchocks
21st Jan 2018, 22:57
In the mid '70s Air Anglia had a call sign of "Wright Flyer" for a staff positioning flight to the NWI Company Christmas party. "Wright Flyer" because one of the Co Founders was Wilbur Wright and the airline used to fly up and down the UK East Coast.
Flying two F27s full of staff for free to a Christmas Party, a great staff morale booster!

Herod
22nd Jan 2018, 08:10
Ah, Air Anglia. A wonderful company. Despite morphing into AirUK, KLMuk and finally having a loco offshoot called buzz was still a good outfit, good enough for me to stay with them 24 years. I only quit when a certain Irish airline took over buzz. buzz (with a lower-case "b") was never used as a callsign, the flights still operating as "UK".

chevvron
22nd Jan 2018, 08:23
Someone mentioned "Rushton" used by the Sea Vixen drone conversions. That call sign is still used by the Cobham Falcons out of Bournemouth.

Cobham = Flight Refuelling Ltd = Tarrant Rushton airfield (until they moved all their operation to Bournemouth in the mid/late '70s.)
The company has nothing to do with the town of that name where Chelsea (yeuk) have their training base but is named after Sir Alan Cobham who did so much to imbue 'air mindedness' in the country in the '30s with his 'National Aviation Day' tours.
They had previously operated various types from Bournemouth (eg Scimitars in the late '60s when I was attending the College of ATC on my initial assistants course).

chevvron
22nd Jan 2018, 08:30
Trundling along a taxiway, in a Shorts 3-60, when ATC advised the Speedbird "after the 3-60". Some smart**s female pilot came back with "after the shed". I can call it a shed, I'm flying it, she can't. I'm still proud of my quick reply. "ahead of the seedy-bird"

Thread creep:
Female controller to Luton inbound: 'can I turn you on at 4 miles?'

(There's no answer to that)

250 kts
22nd Jan 2018, 10:57
Didn't the Braniff B747 call ex EGKK use Big "Oh" 1? It was painted totally orange.

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2018, 12:27
The Braniff 747 was nick-named Big Orange, I can't remember them using that for a callsign though. Seem to recall advertising in the UK press before they started the service "Big Orange is Coming to London" or some such!

pulse1
22nd Jan 2018, 12:53
chevvron,

Not really on thread but I thought that the Scimitars at Bournemouth were operated by Airworks who provided the same Fleet Requirements Unit for the Navy as Cobham do now, especially on Thursdays. They also operated Canberras and Hunters but I can't remember what their call sign was although I used to share the same bit of sky. Throughout the 60's Flight Refuelling only operated from Tarrant Rushton, mainly on drone development using Meteors and then the Vixen.

binbrook
22nd Jan 2018, 13:12
In the early 70s didn't some bit of BA use Sovereign?

jackieofalltrades
22nd Jan 2018, 16:07
In the USA, Trans State Airlines (a feeder for United and American) uses the callsign "Waterski". Other feeders: PSA Airlines; "Blue Streak" and Expressjet; "Acey", GoJet; "Lindbergh".

chevvron
22nd Jan 2018, 16:23
chevvron,

Not really on thread but I thought that the Scimitars at Bournemouth were operated by Airworks who provided the same Fleet Requirements Unit for the Navy as Cobham do now, especially on Thursdays. They also operated Canberras and Hunters but I can't remember what their call sign was although I used to share the same bit of sky. Throughout the 60's Flight Refuelling only operated from Tarrant Rushton, mainly on drone development using Meteors and then the Vixen.

I think you're correct. Even as I pressed 'Submit' I had my doubts.
FR moved to Bournemouth en-masse after 1974 because Tarrant Rushton used 122.5 in '74/'75 and when I started at Farnborough this was also Farnborough VHF Approach frequency, shared with Tarrant, Andover, Weston Super Mare and Bitteswell. Course it became Farnborough Tower in '75ish when we got 125.250 for Approach/LARS, the recievers were in a different place so we didn't get interference from the other stations.

JW411
22nd Jan 2018, 17:04
One of the funniest ones that I can remember was Arrow Air at Miami. We used "Arrow" as a callsign but the FAA objected on the basis that it sounded too like "Aero" (which it does with an American accent).

So, we had a competition and the winning submission was "BIG A" for that was what was painted on the tail of all the aircraft and no one else in the world was ever going to use that callsign!

The winner, who was a 707 F/O I think, either got $100 or a "letter of thanks" from George.

Another one that I got involved with was "Watchdog". When I was "between jobs" I helped an ex-RAF mate out by flying a Do-228 out of EDI for the Scottish Fisheries Department.

We were "Watchdog Delta" regardless of who was flying the flight.

jensdad
22nd Jan 2018, 17:10
Ah Yes, before the Do228 I remember the old Fisheries Patrol Islanders coming into Newcastle, for fuel presumably, calling up as 'Watchdog'.

JW411
22nd Jan 2018, 17:20
Incidentally, when we started TNT (Air Foyle) in 1987, the callsign was "Nitro".

When we moved on to the Belgian register in 2000, it was decided by the wheels (that sat in their offices and never had to use it) that we were to use "Quality".

The wet-lease and associated companies (such as Panair) continued to use "Nitro".

Skipness One Echo
22nd Jan 2018, 17:53
“Nitro” NTR dates from 1993-ish, around the time TNT dropped PIK for EDI. They used “Foyle” UPA from 1987 up til then. The Pan Air leased pilots called as “ You-pee-ay”!

JW411
22nd Jan 2018, 18:20
I bow to your superior knowledge. I was on the first course at Hatfield in 1987 and retired 19 years later.

crewmeal
22nd Jan 2018, 20:39
Maersk Air UK used 'Bluestar'. Those of a superstitious nature connected it to the White Star Line and thought the worst.

dixi188
22nd Jan 2018, 21:31
The Belgium TNT operation used the call sign "Qualitay" as their three letter code was TAY.
I did some contract work for TNT with Channel Express (Channex) and we would be "Nitro" from STN to LGG and "Qualitay" from LGG to BGY or other European destinations.

"Channex" call sign used to be "Express Air" (As it used to be Express Air Transport), but this got confused with Air Europe Express so was changed.
Soon after the change, Air Europe went bust so the change was a waste of time.

I can't remember the Airwork call signs at Hurn in the '60s but I do recall the BAC 1-11 test flight call signs were "Lima 22" or another number, as each test pilot had his own number.

Liffy 1M
22nd Jan 2018, 22:24
Didn't the Braniff B747 call ex EGKK use Big "Oh" 1? It was painted totally orange.

They just called "Braniff". The flight number DFW-LGW was BN602 IIRC. They started with one 747 in 1971 (which was dedicated to the Dallas-Honolulu route) but then added more as the network expanded to the UK and Continental Europe.

kernowbird
23rd Jan 2018, 19:51
RAF canberras used to use "mothball" when taking part in the Thursday war in Lyme Bay, maybe a homage to their age?

Flightrider
23rd Jan 2018, 20:39
A good chuckle reading this thread.

Yes, Bealine is still used by the BA maintenance tugs at Heathrow - not uncommon to hear "Bealine Papa Echo" or similar requesting a re-position of an evening. Luckily for the residents nearby, it's an A319 going for maintenance nowadays instead of a Trident 1 going for engine runs.

Trying to choose an acceptable callsign which remains available for a new airline isn't easy. I seem to recall we tried everything we could think of to inject some humour but failed miserably.

"Thunderbird" was already taken by an airline in Canada. Our aim to generate a laugh every time by calling for push-start as "Thunderbird One" failed miserably.

Next request was for "Nighthawk" as a run of faux-French accents calling 'allo 'allo to London would have brightened up the morning. That was a no-go too, for reasons I can't recall.

We tried all sorts and by a process of elimination ended up with something so mundane that I now can't even remember what it was. Efforts to brighten up the airwaves well and truly grounded.

mustbeaboeing
23rd Jan 2018, 21:26
On a similar vein to previous post.

A tug (s) at Birmingham UK, still uses the “Monarch” callsign when moving aircraft from / to their hangar.

b1lanc
24th Jan 2018, 01:49
Easier to put the link (look at the comments below the top 10)
https://aerosavvy.com/airline-call-signs/

Big Bird
Browntail (early UPS) - can imagine the jokes in ATC on that one
Bearskin
Sasquatch
Moonshine
Sandbar

many more - have a look.

MarkerInbound
26th Jan 2018, 21:23
Incorrect, "Giant" is Atlas Air I believe. They do fly charters for MAC though.

MAC is so last century. It's AMC now - Air Mobility Command. "Giant" is Atlas Air. "Reach" is a USAF aircraft flying for AMC. Their mission statement is "to provide global reach"... "Camber" is a civilian aircraft operating for AMC.

Warmtoast
27th Jan 2018, 22:49
Gan Air 300

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/GAN/GanAir300_zps39caf471.jpg

Not a call sign, but stencilled on the fuselage by ground-crew to commemorate the 300th flight of the Katunayake (Sri Lanka) - Gan air bridge. As photographed by me in 1958.

ian16th
28th Jan 2018, 09:31
The trusty Valletta!

A shorter journey and nearer to home, but just as looked forward to was 'The NAAFI Kite'. A once a month Valletta from Benson to Istres/Orange.

It carried our stores and Duty Free, some idiot decied that 'stores' had a higher priority than Duty Free so when it landed there was a dash to open the door and see how many cylinders of oxygen it was carrying.

Too many, and our Duty Free was delayed until next month.

El Bunto
29th Jan 2018, 19:18
Manx, Euromanx and Spacegrand were also heard above The Irish Sea over the years.

And RAPEX for BAC Express. Always sounded better ( RAP-EXX ) than it appeared when written.

On the subject of phonetics, Air France's RT callsign is actually AIR FRANZ to ensure that les étrangers pronounce it correctly.

DaveReidUK
29th Jan 2018, 22:01
On the subject of phonetics, Air France's RT callsign is actually AIR FRANZ to ensure that les étrangers pronounce it correctly.

It's actually "AIRFRANS".

Checklist Charlie
29th Jan 2018, 22:27
I know it's not an airline callsign however one of our Air Force Squadrons used "Wombat" followed by the task number as a callsign.

The Wombat is a vegetarian nocturnal marsupial that eats roots and leaves. Apparently the squadron members identified closely with this.

Ansett Air Freight also had the wombat painted on the nose of their Electra freighters in the 70's and early 80's.

CC

Impress to inflate
30th Jan 2018, 10:59
When I worked in Denmark in the late 90's the Danish Airforce F16's call sign was "Tin Box". We tried to call them down to play with us offshore down at 3000' but they always said no

El Bunto
31st Jan 2018, 09:38
It's actually "AIRFRANS".

Ta!

Another one from the depths of memory was GILL or JILL for Gill Air. Not sure how it was formally written as I only heard it on frequency. However 99% of the time it was announced as "THE GILL ___"

Many Aer Lingus pilots are still keen on prefixing as "THE SHAMROCK ___" which might be cute if flying to some remote outstation but is redundant on Dublin approach.

dont overfil
31st Jan 2018, 15:22
Ah Yes, before the Do228 I remember the old Fisheries Patrol Islanders coming into Newcastle, for fuel presumably, calling up as 'Watchdog'.

Used to be a fisheries F27 based at Edinburgh with the watchdog callsign. After landing ATC would often say "Taxi via echo to the kennel."

I think it was Scot Airways Embraers that used to use the callsign "Granite."

jensdad
31st Jan 2018, 22:12
I think it was Scot Airways Embraers that used to use the callsign "Granite."

It was someone based at Aberdeen, maybe Business Air? (I think they ended up being BMI regional?) You're right, definitely someone with Embraers.

Una Due Tfc
31st Jan 2018, 22:34
“Beeline” is the callsign for Brussels airlines, so those speedbird tugs are just asking for an incident.

There’s a bizjet company with callsign “Batman” (designator EXH), another; “Gotham” (GTH).

One of the Swiss medivac crowds uses “Red Angel” (IFA).

On the subject of Speedbirds saying “the” before the callsign, most airlines have people who do that in my experience.

Anybody ever notice how many ACA pilots say “Air Canada’s 123”? I always found that an odd idiosyncrasy.

I remember coming across HiFly Malta’s callsign in the DOCs once, thought it was brilliant but have forgotten it now. Edit: It’s ”Moonraker”, although I’ve never heard it in live ops.

dixi188
1st Feb 2018, 10:10
"Gandalf" out of Bergamo, Italy.

Planespeaking
1st Feb 2018, 10:46
If I remember correctly, and apologies if already posted, BIA British Island Airways used to be 'Britisland' and British United Air Ferries sometimes prefixed their flight nos with VF. although often air traffic just used the aircraft registration, ie. GASDC etc.

Groundloop
1st Feb 2018, 11:19
“Beeline” is the callsign for Brussels airlines, so those speedbird tugs are just asking for an incident.

I think you will find that BA and its forerunner BEA have had the Bealine callsign for well over 50 years so how on earth did Brussels get allocated Beeline.

ZOOKER
1st Feb 2018, 11:36
'Granite' was Business Air, the c/s reflecting Aberdeen -'The Granite City', where they were based. Their fleet were SAAB 340s.
Three of the SAABs would arrive at EGCC from Scotland almost simultaneously 2 or 3 times a day, all with similar call-signs. I think they had a QC facility and used them for freight at night?

DaveReidUK
1st Feb 2018, 13:35
I think you will find that BA and its forerunner BEA have had the Bealine callsign for well over 50 years so how on earth did Brussels get allocated Beeline.

"Bealine" became redundant as soon as all BA flights moved to the BAW designator and "Speedbird" callsign.

Ground vehicles don't, as a rule, use ICAO callsigns/designators (since many of them don't belong to airlines) and the types of transmissions they make are unlikely to be confused with those from live aircraft, so there aren't really any safety implications.

Heathrow clearly agree and hence allow its continued use.

Groundloop
1st Feb 2018, 13:45
Thanks for the clarification.

dont overfil
1st Feb 2018, 15:10
'Granite' was Business Air, the c/s reflecting Aberdeen -'The Granite City', where they were based. Their fleet were SAAB 340s.
Three of the SAABs would arrive at EGCC from Scotland almost simultaneously 2 or 3 times a day, all with similar call-signs. I think they had a QC facility and used them for freight at night?
You are right. It was Business Air. They flew Embraer Banderante's into Dundee. The examiner who signed me off 30 years ago was a captain with Business Air.

El Bunto
2nd Feb 2018, 09:55
Another one I haven't heard in years, BIRDIE for Benair of Denmark.

billyg
13th Feb 2018, 21:56
Icelandair used to use the full airline name eg Icelandair 230/1 as the callsign into Glasgow , until one of their 727 pilots started abbreviating it to "Iceair "and the airline adopted it themselves !

El Bunto
14th Feb 2018, 07:15
One callsign that surprises me is BOEING, particularly in 2016 there was a 787 heading to Farnborough with BOE787 as the callsign. There were several hundred in service by that time and calling 'BOEING 787 contact Scottish on 129.1' seemed to have potential for much confusion.

Airbus have AIRBUS INDUSTRIE which is marginally better, but why not something catchier and less confusable? EUROPLANE or something.

Planemike
14th Feb 2018, 09:52
Can anyone give me the callsign used by East African Airways (1946 - 1977) ??

rog747
14th Feb 2018, 10:06

oooh was it simba?

EladElap
14th Feb 2018, 10:42
I heard some upstart airline using 'Bealine' the other day; shouldn't be allowed as whoever it is can't be anything like BEA.

Brussels Airline use it.

paulc
14th Feb 2018, 11:23
There is a company using PC12's with Mosquito as their call sign - very apt.

Jhieminga
14th Feb 2018, 11:58
You could ask here: Home | East African Airways (http://www.eastafricanairways.com/eastafricanhome.html) I'd like to know myself, and it may be in Peter Davis' book, but I cannot check that right now.

Planemike
14th Feb 2018, 13:38
You could ask here: Home | East African Airways (http://www.eastafricanairways.com/eastafricanhome.html) I'd like to know myself, and it may be in Peter Davis' book, but I cannot check that right now.

Sadly very little traffic on that website......pity !!! Do not recall it being mentioned in PD's book.

Rog747....... Simba certainly sounds possible.

DaveReidUK
14th Feb 2018, 15:13

FWIW, Wikipedia suggests "EastAf".

Edit: As does this (http://sothicpress.com/the-year-of-the-comet/), which appears to be independent of all the Wiki clones.

Planemike
15th Feb 2018, 08:40
David....... Thank you...!!! PM

chevvron
15th Feb 2018, 10:18
There is a company using PC12's with Mosquito as their call sign - very apt.

Jetfly of Zurich; often operate in/out of Fairoaks.

El Bunto
15th Feb 2018, 14:27
Perhaps it's just me but BEALINE never seemed a good callsign, particularly for non-native English-speakers ( being the majority of Europe ). Be-ah-line? Be-aline? Beeline? Too many potential pronunciations.

Brussels Airlines's straight BEELINE is much better.

cj241101
16th Feb 2018, 14:59
Bit of a long shot but the German airline Sudflug (taken over by Condorflug in 1968), IATA prefix SZ, I remember someone many years ago giving me "Bluebird" as their callsign, although I've never managed to confirm this. The logo on the tail, which at first sight I thought was meant to represent a clock, is probably meant to be a blue bird, so the callsign may be correct. Anyone confirm?

https://i.imgur.com/DmRcvRW.jpg

kcockayne
16th Feb 2018, 19:48
I think “Bluebird” is correct for Sudflug. It is a long time ago, but I think I remember D-ABAC flying over Guernsey in the mid 60s using that callsign.

brakedwell
16th Feb 2018, 22:03

Edit: As does this (http://sothicpress.com/the-year-of-the-comet/), which appears to be independent of all the Wiki clones.

Definately EastAf. I used to hear them when Nairobi was our main destination.

Georgeablelovehowindia
17th Feb 2018, 08:29
Euroberlin, the 51% Air France 49% Lufthansa airline, used the callsign EuroBear, a brown bear being on the coat of arms of Berlin. On hearing this, there was an unidentified drawl - but clearly from one of the Good Ole Boys who used to hustle those PanAm 727s up and down the air corridors at unfeasible speeds - "Huh ... funny way of sayin' Looft-Hansaw!"

chevvron, with your considerable experience in ATC you must know, surely, that the reply to the female controller asking if she can turn you on at four miles is: "Madam, I have never had the pleasure, but you may most certainly try." In your most obsequious tone of voice. Which would probably get you into trouble, in this day and age. Come to think of it. Sadly.

Alan Baker
17th Feb 2018, 09:12
Perhaps it's just me but BEALINE never seemed a good callsign, particularly for non-native English-speakers ( being the majority of Europe ). Be-ah-line? Be-aline? Beeline? Too many potential pronunciations.

Brussels Airlines's straight BEELINE is much better.
A callsign is only ever spoken that's why it's called a callsign. In normal operations you would never see it written.

Georgeablelovehowindia
17th Feb 2018, 09:48
Let's get this straight. BEA's callsign was indeed BEELINE. The address of their HQ at Ruislip was Beeline House - it changed from Keyline House, because BEA's orginal logo was a flying key. No, I don't know why.

DaveReidUK
17th Feb 2018, 11:36
Let's get this straight. BEA's callsign was indeed BEELINE. The address of their HQ at Ruislip was Beeline House

I beg to differ.

http://www.bealine.de/media/e1a5cdfb51915fd6ffff805dffffffef.jpg

cj241101
17th Feb 2018, 12:01
I think “Bluebird” is correct for Sudflug. It is a long time ago, but I think I remember D-ABAC flying over Guernsey in the mid 60s using that callsign.
Thanks for confirming. Numerous online searches didn't provide an answer. Bluebird was also the name of an Icelandic cargo airline early in the 2000's and now a Greek airline, both operating 737-300's.

Georgeablelovehowindia
17th Feb 2018, 16:07
OK Dave, so was it their cable address that was Beeline Ruislip? Something was, to my memory.

DaveReidUK
17th Feb 2018, 18:38
OK Dave, so was it their cable address that was Beeline Ruislip? Something was, to my memory.

Afraid not, the cable address was also Bealine.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1959/1959%20-%200559.html

Georgeablelovehowindia
18th Feb 2018, 08:30
Oh dear, that's the second time in the space of a couple of days that my memory has played tricks on me. However, the fact that I'm (a) aware of that fact and (b) after ten seconds or so of drumming the fingers on the desk, I can recall what the first instance of memory fade was about, I'm hopeful that it's not time for the men in white coats to turn up, just yet!

cj241101
6th Mar 2018, 12:00
Back in the late 60's, when I acquired my first airband radio, most UK airlines were still using the aircraft registration for their ATC callsign. Exceptions I remember were BOAC (Speedbird), Caledonian, Laker, British Eagle, Monarch, who used flight numbers from day one (April 1968), possibly Cambrian also. BEA switched to flight numbers around April 1969 IIRC - I remember a Heathrow visit on 13/4/69 and being somewhat dismayed when I found out. Most European operators, on the other hand, used flight numbers. Sabena were one exception who were still using registrations until at least 1977. Surprisingly, most of the US supplemental carriers seemed to be using registrations - I remember hearing Overseas National DC-8's, World 707's, Capitol DC-8's and American Flyers 727's all calling with registrations on 124.6 Mhz around 1969, which was the frequency controlling what then was Amber 1 Lichfield-Daventry-Woodley and Amber 2 Detling-Brookmans Park-Daventry.

What I am looking for is any info on when UK airlines switched to flight numbers. I think most were around the mid 70's when computerised flight plans came into use. Exceptions were still about, mainly positioning sectors and training flights. Also which foreign operators still used registrations - can anyone confirm Air France used registrations and when they switched to flight numbers. I seem to remember the Tarom IL-18's operating IT flights to the UK in the early 70's were using registrations - did they also use them for their scheduled flights to the UK? Info on Adria, Condorflug and Bavaria would also be helpful.

kcockayne
6th Mar 2018, 13:13
Back in the late 60's, when I acquired my first airband radio, most UK airlines were still using the aircraft registration for their ATC callsign. Exceptions I remember were BOAC (Speedbird), Caledonian, Laker, British Eagle, Monarch, who used flight numbers from day one (April 1968), possibly Cambrian also. BEA switched to flight numbers around April 1969 IIRC - I remember a Heathrow visit on 13/4/69 and being somewhat dismayed when I found out. Most European operators, on the other hand, used flight numbers. Sabena were one exception who were still using registrations until at least 1977. Surprisingly, most of the US supplemental carriers seemed to be using registrations - I remember hearing Overseas National DC-8's, World 707's, Capitol DC-8's and American Flyers 727's all calling with registrations on 124.6 Mhz around 1969, which was the frequency controlling what then was Amber 1 Lichfield-Daventry-Woodley and Amber 2 Detling-Brookmans Park-Daventry.

What I am looking for is any info on when UK airlines switched to flight numbers. I think most were around the mid 70's when computerised flight plans came into use. Exceptions were still about, mainly positioning sectors and training flights. Also which foreign operators still used registrations - can anyone confirm Air France used registrations and when they switched to flight numbers. I seem to remember the Tarom IL-18's operating IT flights to the UK in the early 70's were using registrations - did they also use them for their scheduled flights to the UK? Info on Adria, Condorflug and Bavaria would also be helpful.

I got my air band radio in 1964. AFR were using flight numbers then - also the mass majority of European airlines eg DLH,AZA,SWR,KLM ; & PAA & TWA. The US non schedule carriers used regs at that time. Not surprising as most of their flights were one offs & not scheduled. This meant that they filed individual FPLs for each flight - so there was no reason why they could not use the a/c reg. It wasn’t so much computerized FPLs then, more the use of Repetetive FPLs using paper cards to store the info. These cards had holes stamped into them to denote which day of the week the flights operated. All you had to do was insert a prong into the “ Monday hole” & all of the Monday flights were selected. Ingenious, really !

cj241101
6th Mar 2018, 14:37
I only remember Raffles One as being a Dove (c1969 - 1971)
Before G-AYID Raffles One was a Beech 95 Travel Air G-ASZC, registered to a Mr Eric Raffles until the end of 1969.

cj241101
6th Mar 2018, 14:55
I got my air band radio in 1964. AFR were using flight numbers then - also the mass majority of European airlines eg DLH,AZA,SWR,KLM ; & PAA & TWA. The US non schedule carriers used regs at that time. Not surprising as most of their flights were one offs & not scheduled. This meant that they filed individual FPLs for each flight - so there was no reason why they could not use the a/c reg. It wasn’t so much computerized FPLs then, more the use of Repetetive FPLs using paper cards to store the info. These cards had holes stamped into them to denote which day of the week the flights operated. All you had to do was insert a prong into the “ Monday hole” & all of the Monday flights were selected. Ingenious, really !
Thanks for the info. RPL's as I remember them from the 70's/80's were stored on a computer system somewhere, presumably LATCC, which then regurgitated them into the system some 4 hours before STD. Interesting to hear about the card system.
I asked about Air France in particular after a learned colleague of mine was convinced they were using registrations in the late 60's which I didn't remember, so thanks again for confirming otherwise.
Rather mundane, but I remember 3 airlines who somewhat boringly used their 2 letter flight number prefix for their ATC callsign, hence Invicta/IM were "India Mike", IAS Cargo/FF were "Foxtrot Foxtrot", and Trans Mediterranean/TL were "Tango Lima". No doubt there were numerous others which my brain cells might wake up and recall eventually.

Mooncrest
6th Mar 2018, 18:18
Apparently Inex Adria and Aviogenex respectively used Juliet Papa and Juliet Juliet. However, I only remember hearing Adria and Aviogenex on the RT.

Chris Scott
6th Mar 2018, 19:12

I spent a fair amount of time flogging up and down between the UK and East Africa in the 1970s. Sorry to challenge the consensus, but I'm fairly sure EAAC's long-haul flights (Super VC10s by then) used "East African" as the callsign. Knowing pilots, "East Aff" would be a tolerable abbreviation for short-haul flights (DC-9s, F27s) on VHF, but it would not come over with sufficient clarity on HF R/T.

One person Jhieminga might be able to contact for a definitive answer would be Gerry Surley (sorry, not sure of the spelling!), who performed engine runs on his former mount at Dunsfold last August.

BTW, if memory serves EAAC's station ops R/T callsign was "Eastair": e.g., "Eastair Nairobi."

cj241101
6th Mar 2018, 20:30
Another call sign I've just remembered. Austrian Airlines prefix OS call sign "Austrian". Austrian Air Charter prefix OB used Austrian Airlines airlines aircraft with the call sign "Austrian Charter". Much earache if you referred to them as just "Austrian" on the company RT.

Chris Scott
12th Mar 2018, 14:22
Quote from me:
"Sorry to challenge the consensus, but I'm fairly sure EAAC's long-haul flights (Super VC10s by then) used "East African" as the callsign. Knowing pilots, "East Aff" would be a tolerable abbreviation for short-haul flights (DC-9s, F27s) on VHF, but it would not come over with sufficient clarity on HF R/T. "

Since posting that, I've met a younger colleague who - although he never flew for EAAC - learned to fly at Nairobi-Wilson aerodrome in the 1970s. When I asked him what was EAAC's callsign, he unhesitatingly said "East Af".

That backs up the Comet memoir on Sothicpress, so either my recollection above is completely wrong, or the callsign used was different on HF.

Airbanda
12th Mar 2018, 14:56
What I am looking for is any info on when UK airlines switched to flight numbers. I think most were around the mid 70's when computerised flight plans came into use..

I started listening to airband around 1975 - Leeds Approach/Tower on 123.75 and Leeds Radar 121.05. British Airways were 'Northeast', Air Anglia 'Anglia' and Aer Lingus 'Air Lingus' ('Shamrock') came later.

The exception was Dan Air who were still using registrations by prefixed by 'Dan Air'. ASPL, ARAY, ARRW and BEBA were the regulars

Mooncrest
12th Mar 2018, 16:58
Dan-Air began to use alphanumeric callsigns a little later on, Airbanda. Only a handful of airlines did so forty-odd years ago - now they're all at it. As I recall, Dan-Air Bravo Six Echo Romeo was the c/s for the evening Leeds to Glasgow service. When Metropolitan assumed the Leeds routes, they used flight numbers prefixed with Metro.

Jhieminga
13th Mar 2018, 10:57
One person Jhieminga might be able to contact for a definitive answer would be Gerry Surley (sorry, not sure of the spelling!), who performed engine runs on his former mount at Dunsfold last August.
That's an option indeed, I'll get in touch with Jerry Sirley and will ask him (and will report back!).

MARK9263
13th Mar 2018, 12:47
Dan-Air alpha-numerics came in around early-1982.

MARK9263
13th Mar 2018, 13:01

Air France began using flight numbers on 19 January 1971 (approx)

Dave Gittins
13th Mar 2018, 14:07
Before G-AYID Raffles One was a Beech 95 Travel Air G-ASZC, registered to a Mr Eric Raffles until the end of 1969.

My recollection was that it was Edgar Raffles. Call sign Raffles Zulu Charlie. AFAIK he flew to ‘work’ at Manchester every day leaving ‘LAP’ about 8.00 and returning around 18.30.

El Bunto
13th Mar 2018, 18:46
A callsign is only ever spoken that's why it's called a callsign. In normal operations you would never see it written.

Of course it's written! ICAO Document 8585 is the canonical source which lists them in written format in a phonetic manner designed to be pronounced exactly as shown ( refer to Dave's response about AIRFRANS above ).

How do you think controllers learn to pronounce a new callsign...?

kcockayne
13th Mar 2018, 21:14
Air France began using flight numbers on 19 January 1971 (approx)

Absolutely not so. AFR radio c/s that I know were being used in the '60s included AF050 L1049F KJFK to LFPO & Boeing 707 003/004 LAX, 031 CYUL, 015, 017 & 077 KJFK. I have radio logs from the '60s with these call signs. We used to lie on our backs trying to read the Regs off from under the wings of the Connies (because their r/t call sign was the flight number), & we used to write off to AF Ops to get the regs of the 707s (because the a/c used a Flight No. as the radio c/s).
I absolutely KNOW that this was the case. I would not have been confusing this with the early '70s as I had stopped a/c spotting in '68.
Although, I do have a memory of AF Viscounts on the Paris to Brest route using their registrations. Maybe there was a selective use of registrations on some routes & flight numbers on others. Certainly, those jet flights over the Channel Islands in the '60s used flight numbers.

MARK9263
14th Mar 2018, 05:41
As far as operations at MAN was concerned, the airline started usuing its flight number (AF960/1) on this date.

kcockayne
14th Mar 2018, 09:36
I have no reason to doubt your word, as regards Manchester &, perhaps, elsewhere. I began at LATCC in 1971 & AF were using flight numbers then. But, I know that the info. I have already posted is correct, as regards the trans Atlantic flyovers in the C.Is area. Another flight number used, in the '60s, was AF707 & the returning 077 came back as the 070.
I think that, as already stated, AF used regs. on flights operated elsewhere in the '60s (as for the LFPO to LFRB flights - we certainly "copped" VC7s flying south of our area from the r/t c/s - a registration).
Does anyone else have any info?

condor17
14th Mar 2018, 09:58
When ' Air 2 Bob ' [ 2000 ] started , chaos around France / Spain ATC .
'' Air , two thousand , four , zero , tree , sixer , request '' .
ATC ' who ist calling ? '
We all breathed a sigh of relief when they changed to Jetset !
12 Jan 1975 , Shuttle started on LHR GLA LHR , SHT 7 Lima soon got slurred to SHT Semolina , and 7 Uniform to 7-Up . Others escape memory . Seem to remember back up flights were SHT Papa Lima [ G-ARPL ] , etc . Although if Mainline's sole T1E [ brought backfrom Cyprus after the war ] was on back up duty c/s slipped to SHT Mr Wu [ G-ASWU ] .
Yes , we too cringed at the use of ''The Speedbird '' .

rgds condor

cj241101
14th Mar 2018, 22:57
Thanks to all those who have replied with flight number/registration info. Also, now it's been mentioned, G-ASZC did call himself "Raffles Zulu Charlie", not sure when he switched to "Raffles One". Mr Raffles had an address in Manchester - did he fly south to get to work in London or was it definitely the other way as has been suggested?

Well off the beaten track now but another rather long shot request. Back in June 1968 the Ethiopian AF dropped into Luton with a C-54 serialled "727". I don't suppose anyone can help with their callsign? Picture (not one of mine) on the Luton History and Nostalgia thread.

kcockayne
15th Mar 2018, 08:37
RZ 1 was in use when I was at LATCC. This would be between June '71 & June '73. Not sure as to when, exactly, it started.

Fris B. Fairing
12th Apr 2018, 22:18
One other total segue . .. . .. while working at Perth Airport, Western Australia in mid 1965, I saw a British registered 749 Connie landing just after daybreak. She taxied to the freight apron. That aircraft had a big Ace of Spades painted on the tail. And it was the grubbiest 749 you could imagine.
After shutting down, the front door opened and a man let down a light extension ladder, which, first closing the door , he climbed down. He put the ladder flat on the ground under the 749. Carrying a small case, he disappeared in the direction of the cab rank.

To this day, I believe he was the sole occupant of that 749. (Not being a plane-spotter, I neglected to note the rego, apart from the G-????).
[/I]

I don't know if this is relevant but I have found the following:
L749 G-ALAK flew Perth-Cocos 8.7.66

It's a year later however.

Bowmore
13th Apr 2018, 07:51

Interestingly, I have flown SFO to JFK on PanAm 747 in 1986....

One very nice use of call signs I have come across is (or at least was still a few years ago) Bombardier test pilots at their completion center at Montreal. Each pilot has his own number, and depending whether he is flying a Challenger or Global, he is either CanadairXX or de HavillandXX. Liked that.
Also, staying in business jets, I think the Air Alsie call sign "Mermaid" is one of the best, as is Windrose Air's "Quadriga". Think of famous Danish and German statues here...

ErwinS
23rd Apr 2018, 08:20
“Nitro” TNT?
“Giant” USAF MAC.
“Reach” USAF MAC.

Giant is Atlas Air

El Bunto
23rd Apr 2018, 09:20
REACH used to be additionally assigned to DoD commercial charters but those now fly under CAMBER.

United Biscuits ( UK ) used to have YOOBEE for their King Air G-BCUZ but I don't know if they have any aircraft nowadays.

His managers were encouraged to use company aircraft for factory visits, at the risk of being stranded if the pilot had to divert to pick up a member of the chairman’s family; a more hair-raising option was to be flown by the chairman himself.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/finance-obituaries/7857772/Lord-Laing-of-Dunphail.html

El Bunto
24th Apr 2018, 13:45
Exercsie Joint Warrior currently underway highlights callsigns used by the FR Aviation Falcon 20s: ASPIRIN, BROMIDE, MOTHBALL, STARBEAM, TINSEL, TOPKNOT, VADER, WARTHOG, ZODIAC

pax britanica
24th Apr 2018, 16:10
Just an idea but is it possible that European Airlines flying to USA had to abopt Flight numbers because most US airliners had numeric and alpha numeric registrations and FAA maybe didnt recognise call signs with no numbers.
Just a thought because it does seem like airlines in Europe used both Flight number and registrations at the same time depending on the destination??

India Four Two
25th Apr 2018, 01:43
ASPIRIN, BROMIDE, ... TINSEL

Highly appropriate call-signs. These three were WWII jammers.

El Bunto
25th Apr 2018, 07:11
Highly appropriate call-signs. These three were WWII jammers.
Cheers! nice connection

TOPKNOT seems to be reserved for working with navy vessels, sensibly enough.

kcockayne
25th Apr 2018, 07:53
Just an idea but is it possible that European Airlines flying to USA had to abopt Flight numbers because most US airliners had numeric and alpha numeric registrations and FAA maybe didnt recognise call signs with no numbers.
Just a thought because it does seem like airlines in Europe used both Flight number and registrations at the same time depending on the destination??
I don’t think so. Using flight numbers came about because of the introduction of stored FPLS. Registrations could not be used for these as the a/c operating the service changed from day to day - unless your airline only had one aero plane.

rog747
11th Jul 2018, 07:03
someone was asking about Laker's call sign at first - was it the Regn or the flight number first used in the 60's?

and Air Spain
AS flight numbers were JAxxx but I cannot recall their callsign

Anilv
11th Jul 2018, 07:24
Anyone remember what Tower AIr used? I can't imagine they used 'Tower' , imagine the confusion.

Anilv

oldandbald
11th Jul 2018, 14:27
Air Spain

As far as I recall they used Air Spain *** eg "Air Spain 115 " Sounded like hand held mikes, heavy accent and background noise. Had a few interesting DC-8 arrivals at Luton !!

lederhosen
11th Jul 2018, 14:36
One of the shortest lived callsign changes was when TUI changed HLX's from 'Excellence' to 'Yellow Smile'. A short time later it was changed again to 'Yellow Cab' which fitted the branding and aircraft colour scheme and lost the unfortunate yellow teeth connotations.

rog747
11th Jul 2018, 14:42
Air Spain

As far as I recall they used Air Spain *** eg "Air Spain 115 " Sounded like hand held mikes, heavy accent and background noise. Had a few interesting DC-8 arrivals at Luton !!

cheers - they were my first job from 1972 - repping for them at LTN and LGW and sometimes BHX on behalf of their main UK charters Vistajet and Horizon holidays
yes the DC-8 was notorious at LTN - tech delays etc and very nice 02.00 deps

I see you are in Dorset too :)

jensdad
11th Jul 2018, 16:34
Anyone remember what Tower AIr used? I can't imagine they used 'Tower' , imagine the confusion.

Anilv

I seem to remember it was just 'Tower Air' but it was a while ago, I could be wrong...

washoutt
12th Jul 2018, 07:25
I thought flight numbers have always been with us. I seem to remember (ISTR) reading somewhere, that the first ever flight of KLM from London to Amsterdam (May 1919) already had a flight number: Flight 101. I believe it is still in use, 99 years later.

kcockayne
12th Jul 2018, 07:52
Flight numbers may "always have been with us", but what we are talking about is airline radio call signs. in this respect, the widespread use of Flight numbers started to become prevalent in the 60s & 70s - consequent upon the introduction of stored flight plans.

goofer
14th Jul 2018, 11:31
Aer Lingus / Shamrock : just a dim memory but didn't "Shamrock" indicate an Aer Linte (ie transatlantic) flight while "Aer Lingus" was used by the others? Hope someone can confirm and, if so, when the change was made.

Liffy 1M
14th Jul 2018, 13:24
Aer Lingus / Shamrock : just a dim memory but didn't "Shamrock" indicate an Aer Linte (ie transatlantic) flight while "Aer Lingus" was used by the others? Hope someone can confirm and, if so, when the change was made.

I can't recall dates but there was a period in the 1980s when "Shamrock" was dropped and all flights used "Aer Lingus". Then (perhaps in the 1990s) "Shamrock" became the standard for all flights.

Airbanda
14th Jul 2018, 15:17

In the seventies the service from Dublin to Leeds and return mid afternoon was EI336/7. Call sign was Aer Lingus until probably early eighties - after I'd moved away so stopped hearing them regularly - by which time Shamrock had come into use. I don't think they were only airline to move away from using the company name, was one of the drivers possibly call sign confusion and/or need for brevity?

Just a spotter
17th Jul 2018, 15:29
IIRC, the Aer Lingus/Aerlínte Éireann/Irish International transatlantic routes from the mid 1960’s using the 720’s and 707’s up to the early 1970’s were advertised as “Shamrock Jet Services” and used Shamrock on radio calls.

It’s possible the ‘Shamrock’ callsign spread across the EI network as more jets arrived on the European routes in the 1970’s.

JAS

ZOOKER
17th Jul 2018, 16:24
I'm sure they were still using 'Aer Lingus' in the mid 1980s.

Mooncrest
18th Jul 2018, 03:49
I guess about 1986 when the 'Aer Lingus' callsign was abandoned in favour of 'Shamrock. EGNM was receiving Aer Lingus Commuter 360s at the time with the same flight number as the 737s from about ten years previously.

Liffy 1M
18th Jul 2018, 22:32
IIRC, the Aer Lingus/Aerlínte Éireann/Irish International transatlantic routes from the mid 1960’s using the 720’s and 707’s up to the early 1970’s were advertised as “Shamrock Jet Services” and used Shamrock on radio calls.

It’s possible the ‘Shamrock’ callsign spread across the EI network as more jets arrived on the European routes in the 1970’s.

JASSorry, but the latter is not correct. "Shamrock" did not become the standard until many years after Aer Lingus went all-jet on European routes.

bankangle
21st Jul 2018, 00:56
Reference the East African Airways c/s. Flew for Tradewinds in 1970s and we did a large number of cargo sub charters for East African. We were allocated "Simba" For these flights. One night we were called "Seychelles" by ATC in London FIR, when I then looked it up SIMBA was officially the callsign of "Seychelles and Kilimanjairo Air Transport" - I believe a wholly owned subsidiary of East African

rog747
21st Jul 2018, 12:27
Reference the East African Airways c/s. Flew for Tradewinds in 1970s and we did a large number of cargo sub charters for East African. We were allocated "Simba" For these flights. One night we were called "Seychelles" by ATC in London FIR, when I then looked it up SIMBA was officially the callsign of "Seychelles and Kilimanjairo Air Transport" - I believe a wholly owned subsidiary of East African

around 1975 EAA obtained A Boeing 707-323C for EAA cargo ops - it waS impounded at LHR

later operated for tradewinds as G-BFEO 10/77-3/80

Boeing 707 freighter (5X-UWM) was bought from American Airlines and delivered on 15th May 1975 for freight services mainly to Europe. Not actually operated directly by EAA but painted in a variation of East African colours and used by Simbair. It ended up being impounded at London Heathrow in 1977 after the airline EAA had gone bankrupt.

bankangle
22nd Jul 2018, 10:26
Thanks Rog 747, I had actuaĺly forgotten that very significant part of Tradewinds(IK later IKA) history. Totally correct. Some months after we started operating G-BFEO, I had to spent the night in Pisa with it rather than fly empty to UK while the the courts ratified the transfer from the owner/ liqudator to Tradewinds. We acquired G-SAIL and G-WIND from American Airlines to give us 3 almost matching aircraft with a " flight system" designed by Sir Humphrey Davy.
Apologies for thread creep.

briani
25th Jul 2018, 00:45
Hi, wandering a bit, but ref. Iraqi Viscounts I used the Baghdad - Basra - Kuwait service. Very noisy, crew seemed to have difficulty with prop sync.

Groundloop
25th Jul 2018, 11:16
I was in the tower at Glasgow in the late 70's when the Tower Controller called downstairs asking for the clearance for the "Paddy to Dublin"!

cj241101
31st Jul 2018, 20:01
Air Spain and others

Some random jottings in a very old notebook of mine have "Air Spain 112" into Birmingham on Sat evenings in 1969, out again as the 113, would have been on a Brit back then. Also noted were "Spantax 172", CV990 into Manchester Sun lunchtimes, "Spantax 157" also a CV990 Palma-Manchester Fri evenings, "Mediterranean 926" (S.A.M.) crossing Lydd at FL240 so presumably a DC-6 and inbound Birmingham on a Friday afternoon. US supplementals also heard in 1969, all using registrations, included World, Capitol, Overseas National and American Flyers ("Flyers 826 and 827 = N12826 and N12827, both 727-100's). More interesting - although I didn't realise it at the time - was "Cedarjet 990" on 21/9/69 routing Lichfield-Daventry-Seaford, almost certainly M.E.A. CV990 OD-AFJ on delivery, bought from American 2 days earlier.

cj241101
17th Jan 2019, 20:25
Does anyone know if the FAA fleet used to fly under registration or was/is there an FAA callsign? Thinking particularly of their Convair twins and Sabreliners that used to make appearances in Europe back in the 60's and 70's.

treadigraph
17th Jan 2019, 23:28
I thought the FAA Sabres callsign was the reg - I can vaguely recall hearing N75 or whatever...

Jhieminga
18th Jan 2019, 18:29
I spent a fair amount of time flogging up and down between the UK and East Africa in the 1970s. Sorry to challenge the consensus, but I'm fairly sure EAAC's long-haul flights (Super VC10s by then) used "East African" as the callsign. Knowing pilots, "East Aff" would be a tolerable abbreviation for short-haul flights (DC-9s, F27s) on VHF, but it would not come over with sufficient clarity on HF R/T.

BTW, if memory serves EAAC's station ops R/T callsign was "Eastair": e.g., "Eastair Nairobi."
It took me a while and I ended up asking another ex-EAA captain, but here's the answer:
The official VHF callsign was East African for the airline with a 3 number code suffixed by 0 for the Dakotas, 3 for the Friendships, 9 for the DC-9's and 6 for the SVC-10's. The second figure in the SVC-10 callsign was the day of the week, starting Monday and all other numbers on every fleet were whatever marketing dreamt up for the final two numbers.

I think almost without exception we all used East African on the initial call then abreviated it to Eastaf subsequently. Occasionally there would be a misunderstanding whilst non East African Airways aircraft were calling Nairobi, as the ATC Centre callsign was Eastair Centre frequently abbreviated to just Eastair.

With regards to HF, it was rarely used on the domestic fleets although the aircraft were all equipped with it as far as I remember. With the SVC-10's we used SSB to call base at Nairobi and also mainly Bombay and Karachi, but in general most of us didn't bother. Again the two first paragraphs of this reply would indicate the norm.

cj241101
5th Mar 2019, 10:26
I need info with the callsign used by Alidair. I recall reading somewhere that it was "Alida", presumably pronounced "a leader", with Alida being the parent company. Anyone confirm this?

DaveReidUK
5th Mar 2019, 11:38
I need info with the callsign used by Alidair. I recall reading somewhere that it was "Alida", presumably pronounced "a leader", with Alida being the parent company. Anyone confirm this?

Callsign was definitely Alida

Some sources show the airline as being an offshoot of Alida Packaging but this (https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1973/1973%20-%200894.PDF) suggests it was independent, at least by 1973.

rog747
5th Mar 2019, 12:36
I read Alidair was the original Kestrel - anyone concur ? Did they buy out Kestrel Airlines>?

cj241101
5th Mar 2019, 20:09
According to "Air Britain's Airlines of the British Isles since 1919" Alidair was formed as a subsidiary of the Alida Packaging Group on 1st January 1972. If this were the case then ownership must have moved on by the time of the Flight article in 1973. The Alida Packaging Group did have a Beagle Pup based at Hucknall which would make appearances at East Midlands, so there was possibly a link somewhere.

I don't believe Alidair had anything to do with Kestrel, who ceased trading on 1st November 1972 and whose sole Viscount (G-AVJB) was returned to BMA.
Thanks for the replies, helps me with a large project which I have been working on for a couple of years.

The AvgasDinosaur
7th Mar 2019, 19:29
I think Dan-Air at one time used a variety of fixed call signs for non revenue flights -:
Danair 99 Papa Lime for positioning.
Danair 89 Papa Lima for engineering test flights
Danair 79 Papa Lima for training flights
I think there were others. (This example for G-ASPL)
Curiously I have just recently been listening to a recording (naughty I know) of London Radar for Sunday 4th June 1967 Transglobe Brittanias en route to Gatwick we’re using both reg and flight number on different flights.
Does anyone remember Berna Radio on Short Wave or H.F.? Listening to the Africa net?
Or Shanwick Oceanic on Short wave?
London Volmet on HF for early clues on possible diversions from LAP?
I believe ACE Freighters used ACE and last two of reg as call sign but what was their two letter code or SITA code ??
Be lucky
David

Mooncrest
7th Mar 2019, 20:36
I remember Dan Air using 'DA89LL' for a regular Friday HS748 positioning from LBA to NCL in the early 1980s. By this time, Dan Air was already using alpha-numeric callsigns for its scheduled flights; 'DAB6ER' was the weekday evenings LBA to GLA flight.

Level bust
8th Mar 2019, 09:52
I did a jumpseat ride on a Monarch 1-11 to Milan Malpensa, we diverted to Linarte due to snow. Eventually Linarte shut and we were communicating with Monarch Ops via Berna Radio phone patch on HF. I remember it was clear as if we were on the ground at Luton!

No need for it now in Europe as they just use mobile phones.

yellowtriumph
8th Mar 2019, 17:27
'Clipper One' was Pan Am's flagship flight; it was a 'round the world' service westbound from the USA; 'Clipper Two' was the opposite direction equivalent.

I was lucky enough to go on both flights for the London>NY>London legs. Would have have been in about 1972? On board the cabin staff referred to the flights as World flight 1 and World flight 2. Sounded very impressive and obviously left a mark on me as I remember that little detail.

cj241101
15th Aug 2019, 13:16
Been a while since my last question so here's another:- "Scandinavian" being a 5 syllable mouthful, am I correct in thinking it was common practice to trim it to the 2-syllable "Scandi"? Especially on busy frequencies like Heathrow Director/Tower etc. Thanks in advance to any confirmation or otherwise.

Musket90
15th Aug 2019, 18:08
Don't know for certain but I believe 'Scandinavian' may still be used. Has been for many years. It seems to roll off the tongue quite easily compared to some other callsigns.with equal or less number of syllables.

meleagertoo
16th Aug 2019, 09:57
Back in the '80s when BA helicopters was taken over by that sleazeball Maxwell the treasured Speedbird callsign went and was replaced by the risible and un-phonetic "Lion".

On arrival at the rig on the first day a Puma crew made contact with inbound load etc using the embarassing new callsign only to be asked if the pussy wanted some milk on arrival!

Another cumbersome un-phonetic callsign was Green Isle for Virgin Express (Ireland).

Heatseeker
21st Aug 2019, 07:52
Heard a story once of a fast U.S. military aircraft transiting Scottish airspace with the callsign FAST EAGLE.
The crew got very vocal when ATC called them TESTICLE.
No sensayuma.

H

cj241101
21st Nov 2019, 09:10
Anyone help with this one. British Island Airways callsign 1971-1979. I remember "Brit Island" being used in the 80's - am I right in thinking they used "UK" (i.e. "you kay") prior to that? Also any info when they switched from registrations to flight numbers. Thanks in advance for any replies.

pax britanica
21st Nov 2019, 10:01
Bit of a thread drift Having had a reread of this thread due to a canceled conference call I can remember both call signs and registration call signs in use at LHR , Kcockayne kindly corrected my assumption about why they were sued with the advice that as traffic grew flights began to operate daily and ATC introduced flight strips as the same flight operated same time every day and hanging on to registrations wasnt practical or sensible any more but no doubt it wasnt accomplished overnight as in the early to mid 60s there were still lots of routes especial;;y long haul that only operated once or twice a week , Iraqi Viscounts Aerolineas Argentinas Comets or Panair Brasil DC8s stick in my mind .

I think ATC was less proceduralist and LHR although very very busy was nothing like today back and SK was usually Skandi and LH often Lufty along with a bit of banter with crews who were well used to LHR and spoke good English which was not the norm back then with even AF IB TP and the like having crews whose English was very limited along with the Eastern Europeans and occasionally even the then unusual 'Southern 'US voices from Braniff and National. My wife worked for Speedbird London some years later and even then Braniff were one of the hardest to understand. And as for the comments about FAA aircraft in Europe I remember seeing an FAA Convair but no ATC and one time, the holy grail for spotters at LHR , N1 the FAAs Lockheed Jetstar. Maybe better in nostalgia I know but was an interesting thread

Jn14:6
21st Nov 2019, 10:34
IIRC, 'UK' was used after the merger with Air Anglia to form Air UK.

ve3id
21st Nov 2019, 11:02
Yes, Beverleys used a similar system. I noted the following in the 1960s: XB168 MOBXD; XB284 MOBXH; XL148 MOBCY. The last letter was carried on the tail also.

Laurence
In Canada, I was once on board a RCAF reserve single Otter - above the Capt's head was a plaque with a five-letter callsign in the VCxxx series. I suppose they haven't been used since the morse code era.

ve3id
21st Nov 2019, 11:31
I always thought that the Red Arrows used 'Red' followed by their team number, or 'leader'. But at the Toronto Airshow last September, they were called 'ASCOT' according to flightaware.com.

Can anybody enlighten me?

cheers,
id

22/04
21st Nov 2019, 12:19
In the UK the red arrows use the callsign "red arrows" when contacting atc units.

Ascot is used by some but not all RAF transport aircraft usually with a numeric or alpha numeric airline style callsigns.

WE992
21st Nov 2019, 18:54
Ascot is used by All RAF transport aircraft when route flying. RR1000 series, Bae146. RR2000 series KC-30, RR4000 series being the A400M, RR5000 series C-130 and RR6000 series C-17. KC30s use Madras and Tartan call signs when tanking in the UK. 400 sometimes use Comet call signs when undertaking tactical flying with C-130s using Jigsaw.

RAF fast jets often use the Ascot call sign when in transit overseas when accompanied by KC-30. The ASCOT call sign dates back to the days of RAF Air Support Command, standing for Air Support Command Operation Task.

India Four Two
21st Nov 2019, 19:46
Since we have drifted to tactical call signs, can someone tell me if trigraph call signs have gone away and if so when?

I remember calling up Syerston as “Echo Victor November 11 - a single piston” on a cross-country. I bet that fooled the Russian ELINT “trawlers”.

kcockayne
21st Nov 2019, 20:06
I do not know exactly when BIA started using flight numbers as the a/c callsign, but; I was doing my APP Radar training in 1974 at Bournemouth, & I am sure that they used flight numbers then.

DaveReidUK
21st Nov 2019, 20:38
Ascot is used by All RAF transport aircraft when route flying. RR1000 series, Bae146. RR2000 series KC-30, RR4000 series being the A400M, RR5000 series C-130 and RR6000 series C-17. KC30s use Madras and Tartan call signs when tanking in the UK. 400 sometimes use Comet call signs when undertaking tactical flying with C-130s using Jigsaw.

RAF fast jets often use the Ascot call sign when in transit overseas when accompanied by KC-30. The ASCOT call sign dates back to the days of RAF Air Support Command, standing for Air Support Command Operation Task.

RRR1xxx callsigns are also used by 32 Sqn's Agusta. RRR7xxx is used by the Sentinels, Shadows and RC-135s.

I assume that by "KC-30" you mean the Voyagers, which also use RRR9xxx (possibly dependent on the mission).

cj241101
22nd Nov 2019, 12:11
crews who were well used to LHR and spoke good English which was not the norm back then with even AF IB TP and the like having crews whose English was very limited along with the Eastern Europeans
As a flight despatcher at Luton in the 1980's, most of the overseas operators had crews that spoke good English. That was until Balkan Bulgarian operated a weekly TU-154 flight in 1984. I was slightly puzzled dealing with their first flight that the crew complement on the flight deck was FIVE. Two pilots and a flight engineer, yes, but who were the other two? Sky marshals? KGB agents? It became apparent during the turnround that one must have been a navigator of some sort, studying Jeppesen (or the Russian equivalent of) aerodrome/departure charts etc. It gradually dawned on me, after any attempt at communication with the pilots was rebuffed with a grunt and a thumb jabbed in the direction of the 5th guy, that he was the translator. All dialogue was done through him. Whether he handled all communication with ATC as well I will never know. If he did, the short delay translating instructions to the pilots probably wasn't normally a big issue. Until they needed a surveillance radar approach (SRA) to half a mile, that is. Which is what happened one day (Luton had no ILS on RW 08 at that time). Waiting for the aircraft to land, I watched it break cloud at least 200 yards left of track in the course of executing a go-around. Good job the new tower was still 10 years away from being built....

cj241101
22nd Nov 2019, 12:30
IIRC, 'UK' was used after the merger with Air Anglia to form Air UK.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

Gordomac
25th Nov 2019, 17:40
Yeah, but who were the Geezers who invented the call signs and forced us to use them ? My pilot training was sponsored by BKS Air Transport , during the course, they re-branded and painted the aircraft yellow. Of course I was very proud to call myself "Northeast _ _ _ " whenever operating. But some joker decided to call us "Norjet". Felt very silly bombing around in a Viscount calling myself Norjet. Felt much more worthy after converting to T1e and blasting off to NCL from LHR at M0.86. After the rotten merger, another jobsworth decided to call us, now in BARD, "Albion". Worse, he justified this with a page long memo asking us to be proud of the history of the term "Albion". Nothing to do with my home team, Brighton & Hove Albion but a bunch of white (you could say that, then, ) Warriors who conquered , heaven knows what or when and then sought further credibility by justifying the fact that "Albion" complied with regulation requiring three syllables.

A brief and hateful (mutual ) period with Air 2 Bob had me cringing every time I announce I was "Jetset". Ghastly !

After a Glorious term with Transavia, I joined up with a new start that got quickly airborne by buying out some Light A/C Belgian cargo outfit and used their AOC with associated call-sign, " Moonrun " ! Lovely 757 outa Frankfurt for Palma & I suffered the indignity of calling myself " Moonrun _ _ _ " !

Thanks be to Allah that Gulfair called themselves, er, "Gulfair" . Much more settled and stayed with it for 17 years.

My question remains though, who were those Geezers ? Prizes for genuine names .

RetiredBA/BY
25th Nov 2019, 19:16
TNT , nitro !

Mooncrest
25th Nov 2019, 21:39
I'm sure I've read before on a similar thread that the Albion callsign was the brainchild of a Northeast/BA Regional Division Leeds Bradford Base Captain. I can't recall a name though. Agree, Norjet was naff for a Viscount but I guess the American Northeast had already bagsied the obvious callsign.

Landflap
26th Nov 2019, 08:56
Just had GM on the phone who suggests naming and shaming the "Geezers" might lead to admonishment from the Mods, at least. But, the Memo was from the CP at LHR. It might not prove it was him but that was the implication. Funny little Northerner who then went up after the merger, then sideways then back down. You are right about the US Notheast though. GM believes that the UK version got away with the same colours and name after, he thinks the US operator went bust but that the callsign was too expensive to buy. Historians will put us all right on that one, I'm sure.

Mooncrest
26th Nov 2019, 11:56
Should have kept Bealine going, stuck 'The' at the beginning to benefit the nincompoops and bingo ! A three-syllable callsign that isn't Albion.

Airbanda
26th Nov 2019, 19:05
I'm sure I've read before on a similar thread that the Albion callsign was the brainchild of a Northeast/BARD Leeds Bradford Base Captain. I can't recall a name though. Agree, Norjet was naff for a Viscount but I guess the American Northeast had already bagsied the obvious callsign.

IIRC Northeast was used on LBA and NCL operations until the four components of regional division (Cambrian, Channel, Northeast and Scottish) were rolled into one in 1976. At that point flight numbers became BE/Bealine (eg LHR>LBA midday-ish was BE4405). Possible one or two were BA/Speedbird.

I assume that ATC then had callsign indigestion with too many Bealines with similar flight numbers and by summer 76 they reverted to NS/Northeast at Leeds. BZ/Albion came along in 1977, presumably because NE/Northeast was an anachronism.

Can anybody expand/enlarge/correct?

Mooncrest
26th Nov 2019, 20:56
I've done a little research (i.e. looked on Wikipedia) and it seems the American Northeast was subsumed into Delta Airlines by 1972. Theoretically, the way should then have been clear for BA Regional Division to use the Northeast callsign once Bealine had proved unsatisfactory in the mid-1970s.

As for Jetset, it was arsey with delusions of grandeur but less of a mouthful than Air 2000.

tczulu
1st Dec 2019, 10:57
MNG Airlines-"Black Sea"
Many moons ago on a night shift in the LTMA, it departs from Luton and calls my colleague( DKG,yes you ) on the R/T. For all the world it sounded like he was saying "bollox ee". Cue controller incapictation due to laughing.

cj241101
21st Dec 2019, 12:28
I'm sure I've read before on a similar thread that the Albion callsign was the brainchild of a Northeast/BA Regional Division Leeds Bradford Base Captain. I can't recall a name though. Agree, Norjet was naff for a Viscount but I guess the American Northeast had already bagsied the obvious callsign.

Not sure where I've read this, but I believe Northeast USA at some point used "Yellowbird", although Wikipedia shows "Northeast ".

cj241101
21st Dec 2019, 12:33
Here's another question. I remember BUA using registrations for callsigns in the late 60's, used to hear their 1-11's on domestic schedules routing DET-BPK-DTY as (e.g.) "British United Juliet Fox". Caledonian, however, I always remember used flight numbers. So does anyone know what happened during the Caledonian//BUA interim period around 1971?

kcockayne
21st Dec 2019, 17:59
BUA had, at least partially, adopted flight number call signs in the late 60s - we used to get the series “British United 451,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8” flying over the Channel Islands to & from the Canary Islands (operated by Britannias) between 1966 &
‘68’ , about. But, I can’t remember what callsign they used after the merger with Caledonian. Sorry.

Gordomac
22nd Dec 2019, 09:03
Fellas, I am sure you will have seen the other thread entitled "British United Airways-What was their callsign?" . Some really interesting nostalgea there too.

cj241101
23rd Dec 2019, 11:39
Thanks for the replies. The British United thread looks especially useful !

cj241101
8th Mar 2020, 14:18
Another question; this time British Airways. Officially came into existence on 1st April 1974, although Cambrian and Northeast were not integrated for another two years. Looking at some old timetables, the original "BE" and "BZ" prefixes were still in use for the former B.E.A. and Regional Division flights respectively until at least summer 1978. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on how long it was before "Speedbird" was adopted as the callsign for all BA flights - did this change at the same time as the published timetables changed? Many thanks in advance for any replies.

DaveReidUK
8th Mar 2020, 17:19
Another question; this time British Airways. Officially came into existence on 1st April 1974, although Cambrian and Northeast were not integrated for another two years. Looking at some old timetables, the original "BE" and "BZ" prefixes were still in use for the former B.E.A. and Regional Division flights respectively until at least summer 1978. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on how long it was before "Speedbird" was adopted as the callsign for all BA flights - did this change at the same time as the published timetables changed? Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Earlier thread on the topic here: PPRuNe: ex BEA and "Speedbird" callsigns (https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/525330-ex-bea-speedbird-callsigns.html)

MARK9263
8th Mar 2020, 17:53
From Sunday 29th October 1978, all BA flights used the call-sign 'Speedbird'. B-line, Albion and Shuttle all dropped by then.

cj241101
8th Mar 2020, 20:20
Earlier thread on the topic here: PPRuNe: ex BEA and "Speedbird" callsigns (https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/525330-ex-bea-speedbird-callsigns.html)

That's fantastic, thanks for the heads up, had no idea this topic had its own thread.

cj241101
8th Mar 2020, 20:21
From Sunday 29th October 1978, all BA flights used the call-sign 'Speedbird'. B-line, Albion and Shuttle all dropped by then.

Thanks for another heads up, that would tie in with the timetables, then, with the summer 1978 timetable still using "BE" and "BZ" prefixes.

cj241101
25th Mar 2020, 21:20
Anyone shed any light on the callsign "Lima"? Used by a 1-11 back on 21st Jan 1969 on a test/training/delivery flight Stansted-Gatwick-Luton ("Lima 34"). Any possibility it was used by BAC, like HS used "Tibbit"? As always many thanks for any replies.

dixi188
26th Mar 2020, 08:25
"Lima" was the callsign of the BAC One-Eleven test pilots at Hurn. The number was individual to each pilot.
Chuck Thrower, Dinty Moores, Alan Smith, Dave Glazer, (or was it Peter Glazer?), are some who come to mind.

Jhieminga
26th Mar 2020, 11:40
Interesting, did the VC10 test pilots at Wisley use a similar set up? Any idea what that callsign could have been?

dixi188
26th Mar 2020, 12:58
Sorry I don't know. I was only at Hurn with BAC, '69 to '73.

cj241101
31st May 2020, 21:08
Ref:- 3M Co Gulfstream 2's. N23M, N33M etc. These were regular in the UK for many years. I have a vague recollection that they used the callsign "Mining" followed by the first number of the registration i.e. Mining 2, Mining 3 etc. Anyone confirm (or otherwise). MTIA.

Liffy 1M
31st May 2020, 22:08
Ref:- 3M Co Gulfstream 2's. N23M, N33M etc. These were regular in the UK for many years. I have a vague recollection that they used the callsign "Mining" followed by the first number of the registration i.e. Mining 2, Mining 3 etc. Anyone confirm (or otherwise). MTIA.
Yes, that's correct. 3M started out as the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company.

cj241101
1st Jun 2020, 10:11
Yes, that's correct. 3M started out as the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company.

Thanks for the quick reply, wasn't sure if my memory chips were still working properly!

Dan Winterland
2nd Jun 2020, 07:05
Ascot is used by All RAF transport aircraft when route flying.

Hong Kong Airlines cargo operation uses the callsign "Mascot". Having flown under the Ascot callsign for many hours, it makes my ears prick up whenever I hear it.

The AvgasDinosaur
2nd Jun 2020, 20:04
Ascot is used by All RAF transport aircraft when route flying.
Air Support Command Operational Traffic by any chance ?
David

kenparry
2nd Jun 2020, 21:18
ASC Operational Task, I think

Steve Rooke
7th Feb 2021, 18:07
Thanks to all those who have replied with flight number/registration info. Also, now it's been mentioned, G-ASZC did call himself "Raffles Zulu Charlie", not sure when he switched to "Raffles One". Mr Raffles had an address in Manchester - did he fly south to get to work in London or was it definitely the other way as has been suggested?

Well off the beaten track now but another rather long shot request. Back in June 1968 the Ethiopian AF dropped into Luton with a C-54 serialled "727". I don't suppose anyone can help with their callsign? Picture (not one of mine) on the Luton History and Nostalgia thread.

Sorry I'm a bit late on board. Mr. Raffles lived in a fabulous house on Ham Common near Richmond in Surrey and drove up to LHR every morning in his Bentley. He took me with him once in 1965 when I was twelve. He told me he had crashed his previous two aircraft; a Cessna and a Mooney and, of course, he went on to crash Zulu Charlie and walk away. Anyone know anything about those events? "Raffles One" was definitely in use before the arrival of his last aircraft and he used that call sign to bring it into LHR from Sweden.