PDA

View Full Version : Newquay

Pages : [1] 2

Non Emmett
15th Jan 2018, 17:51
Newquay Airport recorded a 22% increase in pax for 2017 with a total of 454000. The 2016 equivalent figure was 369000 and there have been four years of double digit growth. Figures for December 2017 were up 18% on the December 2016 total.

cornishsimon
15th Jan 2018, 20:24
Sadly unless something new is announced for 18/19 I suspect that bubble will burst this year.

STN drops to 3 weekly from daily and looks like LGW drops from an E95 x3 mon-fri and x2 sat & sun to an E75 with the same amount of rotations.

AirportPlanner1
15th Jan 2018, 21:40
It's known the E195s aren't sticking around forever so the drop in capacity to LGW had to happen sooner or later. From BE's perspective it may provide an opportunity to boost profitability by increasing prices and focus on higher yield pax. That said, it's surprising this has happened in conjunction with a significant drop in seats and frequency to STN.

SWBKCB
15th Jan 2018, 22:18
Newquay Airport recorded a 22% increase in pax for 2017 with a total of 454000. The 2016 equivalent figure was 369000 and there have been four years of double digit growth. Figures for December 2017 were up 18% on the December 2016 total.

Having you busiest route subsidized by the Govt must help! :ok:

cornishsimon
15th Jan 2018, 22:24
Yes.

Suspect there’s an opportunity for someone to step up on the NQY-LON market.

Eventually we will see a LHR connection if and when R3 is built, however the most likely candidate for LON capacity short term I think is likely to be SEN via the flybe franchise.

An outside chance would be via BA who have just gained a significant dollop of LGW slots and with short block times it could help to slot sit the slots.

SWBKCB
15th Jan 2018, 22:27
Seems unlikely while there is a PSO on the route?

Mike Flynn
16th Jan 2018, 03:38

Passenger numbers up since they dropped the airport fee.:ok:

Norwich take note.

Rubber Duck
14th Feb 2018, 16:29
Ryanair NQY - ALC announced for W18-19. Same frequency as Summer.

Heathrow Harry
14th Feb 2018, 17:56
I have to say theyve done v well....

GROUNDHOG
15th Feb 2018, 08:36
Where those concerned have done very well of course is in developing the ancillary businesses on the airport, that is where the money is earned not from a handful of scheduled services alone.

rog747
15th Feb 2018, 11:04
summer 2018

whats score coming from any London now to connect with ISC?

cornishsimon
15th Feb 2018, 12:09
Don’t think they offer connecting flights still tbh so probably two tickets and collect and recheck bags etc

rog747
15th Feb 2018, 12:44
yes i know that ta, but i was asking about who flies and where from now - seems the once prized london route gets to change and downgrade on a monthly basis - i cannot keep up lol

first it was ryanair twice daily from STN
then add BA in the mix from LGW 3 jets a day then flybe took it over then EZY starts from SEN - has that gone now>?
someone mentioned you can now go from LCY City airport....yes/no?

i cannot keep up - why all the freaking around ?

my sister lives in essex so STN SEN and LCY all good for her to meet me at NQY so we can go onto the ISC - simples?

cornishsimon
15th Feb 2018, 14:21
Love your attitude me ansum

Flybe is your friend here. You can fly direct x3 weekly ex STN, x3 daily ex LGW or ex SEN with a connection via MAN.

Flybe did apply for slots at LCY but this never started. I would imagine eventually either Flybe or BA will fly the route but currently nobody does.

rog747
15th Feb 2018, 14:41
thanks old chap -

i think 3 a week doesn't work for us with the accomodation change over day nor a jaunt around the UK via MAN - and LGW is too far for her

looks like it will be the GWR sleeper from PAD to PNZ

virginblue
21st Feb 2018, 11:26
Weekly Eurowings flight to/from Berlin TXL this summer on a Q400 opb LGW on saturdays. On the ground at NQY 1535-1620. Operates May 5 to Aug 8. This in addition to DUS and STR (there will also be TXL-JER this year).

Btw, Eurowings advertises connections to/from NQY on its website to places such as Split, Venice and Palma.

cornishsimon
21st Feb 2018, 13:39
Germany is a huge market at NQY

Good news

virginblue
21st Feb 2018, 13:58
With a sunday evening tv movie set in Cornwall on German TV once a month, this is no surprise. Rosamunde Pilcher must be the only Brit awarded an OBE for causing a German invasion of the British Isles - is she known in the UK at all?

From wikipedia:

[Pilcher's] books are especially popular in Germany because the national TV station ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen) has produced more than 100 of her stories for TV starting with "Day of the Storm". These TV films are some of the most popular programmes on ZDF. Both ZDF programme director Dr. Claus Beling and Rosamunde Pilcher were awarded the British Tourism Award in 2002 for the positive effect the books and the TV versions had on Cornwall and Devon tourism within the UK. Notable film locations include Prideaux Place, an Elizabethan Manor with extensive grounds in Padstow; the 9th century stately home in St Germans, Port Eliot; The Duke of Cornwall Hotel, an 1863 Victorian Gothic building in Plymouth; and much of the coast line of Chapel Porth.

cornishsimon
17th Apr 2018, 20:56
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/flybe-flight-newquay-airport-suffers-1469655

chaps1954
17th Apr 2018, 22:09
Watched them filming in Porth Leven a few years back.

Heathrow Harry
18th Apr 2018, 14:13
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/flybe-flight-newquay-airport-suffers-1469655

A passenger on board a flight into Newquay Airport (https://www.cornwalllive.com/all-about/newquay-airport) this afternoon has described passengers' "gasps and nervous laughter" after an aborted landing was followed by a 'spicy' touchdown.
Matt Fisher was on the flight from Manchester earlier today, which suffered a heavy landing on the second attempt. He said: "The plane was already late taking off from Manchester.
The pilot had to abort the first landing and then he came in for the second landing and hit the runway very hard. I was under the impression that one of the passengers was hurt during the landing, but I can’t be sure. When we were picking up our bags we saw that the next flight on the plane that we had come in on was delayed due to technical problems. Then the flight was cancelled entirely."

It is thought that the plane received some damage. He said the flight was delayed at Manchester due to an "admin" problem.
Th Matt added: "It was due to take off at 10.20am from Manchester, but instead it left at 11.55am. It got into Newquay (https://www.cornwalllive.com/all-about/newquay) at around 1.30pm. The pilot warned us that the landing would be a bit ‘spicy’ – he said on a curry level it would be a jalfrezi, but it was much spicier than that. When he aborted the first landing we knew we were in safe hands. There was no real fear until we hit the deck.
There were lots of gasps and nervous laughter. Taking off and landing was turbulent, but it was fine during the cruise because we were above it."

A spokesman for Newquay Airport said: "We can confirm that there has been a ground incident at Cornwall Airport Newquay today. The incident is currently being investigated."

A spokesman for Flybe said: "Flybe can confirm it is investigating a possible tail strike that occurred on landing in adverse weather conditions at Cornwall Newquay Airport earlier today. All 56 passengers disembarked safely as normal when the aircraft arrived on stand."

toon22
4th May 2018, 12:35
An impressive - looking departures board for the first day of the full Summer programme. Berlin, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, Dublin and Faro. Not bad for a little’un.

cornishsimon
4th May 2018, 19:31
An impressive - looking departures board for the first day of the full Summer programme. Berlin, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, Dublin and Faro. Not bad for a little’un.

very impressive.

More saturday seasonal routes to be added towards the end of the month:
ABZ, EDI, BFS, DSA, STN, ORK, LPL NCL etc.

cs

cornishsimon
1st Jun 2018, 21:40
Full summer Saturday schedule kicks off this weekend. Tomorrow will see 26 I think scheduled arrivals/departures.

cs

The Sleeping Pax
2nd Jun 2018, 02:19
A passenger on board a flight into Newquay Airport (https://www.cornwalllive.com/all-about/newquay-airport) this afternoon has described passengers' "gasps and nervous laughter" after an aborted landing was followed by a 'spicy' touchdown.
Matt Fisher was on the flight from Manchester earlier today, which suffered a heavy landing on the second attempt. He said: "The plane was already late taking off from Manchester.
The pilot had to abort the first landing and then he came in for the second landing and hit the runway very hard. I was under the impression that one of the passengers was hurt during the landing, but I can’t be sure. When we were picking up our bags we saw that the next flight on the plane that we had come in on was delayed due to technical problems. Then the flight was cancelled entirely."

It is thought that the plane received some damage. He said the flight was delayed at Manchester due to an "admin" problem.
Th Matt added: "It was due to take off at 10.20am from Manchester, but instead it left at 11.55am. It got into Newquay (https://www.cornwalllive.com/all-about/newquay) at around 1.30pm. The pilot warned us that the landing would be a bit ‘spicy’ – he said on a curry level it would be a jalfrezi, but it was much spicier than that. When he aborted the first landing we knew we were in safe hands. There was no real fear until we hit the deck.
There were lots of gasps and nervous laughter. Taking off and landing was turbulent, but it was fine during the cruise because we were above it."

A spokesman for Newquay Airport said: "We can confirm that there has been a ground incident at Cornwall Airport Newquay today. The incident is currently being investigated."

A spokesman for Flybe said: "Flybe can confirm it is investigating a possible tail strike that occurred on landing in adverse weather conditions at Cornwall Newquay Airport earlier today. All 56 passengers disembarked safely as normal when the aircraft arrived on stand."
Reminds me of a Brymon flight from LHR via PLY to NQY when after a very bumpy ride from PLY to NQY we hit the deck really hard, bounced a couple of times and raced to the stand to the thrown off the back of the aircraft. As we were making our way back to the stand the pilot announced that we'd all be pleased to hear that NQY had a runway divot replacement machine, used often for the RAF blokes during training. The guy outside opened the rear door to let us off poked his head into the aircraft and said "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label!"

The Sleeping Pax
2nd Jun 2018, 02:22
very impressive.

More saturday seasonal routes to be added towards the end of the month:
ABZ, EDI, BFS, DSA, STN, ORK, LPL NCL etc.

cs

and ALC, twice a week!

Heathrow Harry
3rd Jun 2018, 09:37
as one who has expressed serious doubts about the viability of Newquay in the past I put my hand up and say the management have done a really good job

when you see the connections they've got up in such a short period you can see why places like Prestwick, Durham Teeside, Carlisle, Doncaster and even E Midlands are envious

Inverness has similarly got it's act together it seems

Wycombe
3rd Jun 2018, 11:31
Not sure what happened to the Eurowings STR-NQY flight yesterday, FR24 showed it turned around and returned to departure point from just west of Paris.

Jersey32D
3rd Jun 2018, 14:53
Not sure what happened to the Eurowings NQY-STR flight yesterday, FR24 showed it turned around and returned to departure point from just west of Paris.

​​​​​The flight was rescheduled for this morning, but yesterday's DUS was also cancelled.

cornishsimon
9th Jul 2018, 19:18
So now that we’re in full summer swing how are things looking ?

Any more hints of further expansion for next year ?

And any more news on that proposed Royal Mail sorting facility and flights ?

cs

cornishsimon
16th Jul 2018, 00:51
So. Uk spaceport is going to Scotland not Cornwall.

However. NQY will host a horizontal orbital flight facility with an agreement about to be signed between NQY and virgin orbit

Spaceport Cornwall takes a major step forward with confirmation that Cornwall Airport Newquay is the chosen location for horizontal orbital flights

I am absolutely delighted to see the confirmation that Virgin Orbital has chosen Cornwall as the base for its horizontal launch facility in the UK. This shows a clear commitment from the Government that Newquay is the best location for horizontal launches of commercial orbital craft.

Horizontal launch is a new technology that is still in development but is clearly the future for space launch. There is still further work to be done to secure the potential opportunities for satellite launch and I am pleased that the government will be allocating further funding and committed to work with Spaceport Cornwall to achieve this. However this is a significant step forward in this process.

Bringing the spaceport to Cornwall has been one of my top priorities since becoming MP, something I have worked long and hard to bring from pipe dream to reality. Along with the teams at Cornwall Airport Newquay, Cornwall LEP and Cornwall Council we have worked hard to put together a strong business case to ensure our unique properties mean we were the best choice for horizontal launches.

This decision has the potential to unlock previously unheard levels of economic investment to Cornwall, bring in hundreds of high tech, high skilled jobs and provide the priceless inspiration for future generations of Cornish children to reach for the stars.

I look forward to working with all concerned to moving toward the first launches from Cornwall.

https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/news/spaceport-cornwall-takes-major-step-forward-confirmation-cornwall-airport-newquay-chosen-0

GROUNDHOG
16th Jul 2018, 11:45
Whatever would he have said if Newquay HAD been chosen. Arguably the most puke making press release I have read for ages!!!

CabinCrewe
16th Jul 2018, 13:06
everyone claiming 'wins' over this, even PIK.
Id be surprised if any of it came to anything meaningful tbh. Presumably the furthest north site chosen to avoid a NIMBY Heathrow style debacle.

Wycombe
16th Jul 2018, 14:24
Former VS 744 G-OWOW (now on the US-reg) is the launch platform:

Cosmic Girl

cornishsimon
23rd Jul 2018, 11:41
Looking at the currently released summer19 Flybe schedules it looks like LPL & GLA gain midweek rotations, however STN does appear on the schedules which surprises me, it was daily last year, only 3 weekly this year and gone for next.

With the drop drop in capacity on the LGW route from E95-75 and the removal of STN fingers crossed something crops up to fill the gap. Maybe STK to SEN ? As the NQY route was the only BE route at STN it would make sense to consolidate services to SEN or LCY

cs

PDXCWL45
23rd Jul 2018, 11:59
Looking at the currently released summer19 Flybe schedules it looks like LPL & GLA gain midweek rotations, however STN does appear on the schedules which surprises me, it was daily last year, only 3 weekly this year and gone for next.

With the drop drop in capacity on the LGW route from E95-75 and the removal of STN fingers crossed something crops up to fill the gap. Maybe STK to SEN ? As the NQY route was the only BE route at STN it would make sense to consolidate services to SEN or LCY

cs
I thought Gatwick was staying as an E195 for S19?

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 13:09
slightly puzzled is STN running or not thanks

cornishsimon
23rd Jul 2018, 13:38
STN is operating 3 weekly for summer 18 down from daily summer17 and not currently scheduled for summer19

cs

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 13:43
STN is operating 3 weekly for summer 18 down from daily summer17 and not currently scheduled for summer19

cs

thanks - so SEN LCY and STN have all fail and LGW is twice a day?

cornishsimon
23rd Jul 2018, 13:54
LCY has never been tried.

STN carried good numbers last year but this is the only BE route at STN

SEN operated for a short period by U2, I would suggest it might reappear under Flybe/STK

lGW carries more ex NQY on 3xE95 weekday and 2xE95 weekend than LHR-LBA does

cs

yeo valley
23rd Jul 2018, 15:43
Didn't FR operate to STN a few years back.

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 17:13

STN carried good numbers last year but this is the only BE route at STN

SEN operated for a short period by U2, I would suggest it might reappear under Flybe/STK

lGW carries more ex NQY on 3xE95 weekday and 2xE95 weekend

cs

thanks CS
I had thought LCY was done but thank you for clarification - and yes FR did STN successfully for many years twice a weekday YeoV

cornishsimon
23rd Jul 2018, 17:18
Yes FR operates twice daily on STN-NQY

supoose FR STN-NQY is a possibility

I think a seasonal daily LCY-NQY would work with either BA or BE

an outside chance would be BA starting LHR which considering that BE carry more passengers on the LGW route than BA do on the LBA route shouldn’t be too far off BAs radar.

cs

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 17:31
CS sorry is FR still doing STN-NQY? I thought they dropped it completely?

cheers

ericlday
23rd Jul 2018, 17:50
A check on Ryanair website will I am sure give you the answer !!!

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 17:55
A check on Ryanair website will I am sure give you the answer !!!

seems they dont fly

cornishsimon
23rd Jul 2018, 18:28
To clarify. BE currently fly nqy-STN but think it’s being dropped next year

FR flew the route probably 10 years ago. I was suggesting it’s a possibility that they could return to it now that they operate three routes at newquay.

cs

The Sleeping Pax
24th Jul 2018, 07:42
So. Uk spaceport is going to Scotland not Cornwall.

However. NQY will host a horizontal orbital flight facility with an agreement about to be signed between NQY and virgin orbit

Well if the development takes as long and has as many delays as Virgin Galatic has undergone then I foresee the first launch from NQY being in 2053!

Skipness One Foxtrot
24th Jul 2018, 09:37
Air Southwest ran a NQY/PLH-LCY route in addition to their LGW operations back in 2009.

GROUNDHOG
25th Jul 2018, 08:55
Is Flybe's NQY/LGW still being subsidised from my hard earned taxes? Used it a couple of times recently, both full and it wasn't cheap?

BA for NQY/LHR, that I would use.

Wycombe
25th Jul 2018, 09:27
Noticed that today's BHX has an E175 operating. Loads that good (or filling for a poorly Dash)?

cornishsimon
25th Jul 2018, 12:39
E75 on the BHX isn’t common but it’s not totally unusual, not sure if it’s scheduled that way or a sub

as for LCY yes I had forgotten about that, it ran for one season just prior to SZ closing down ? I know BE applied for LCY slots for NQY but never used them

CS

slfsteve
25th Jul 2018, 20:45
CS sorry is FR still doing STN-NQY? I thought they dropped it completely?

cheers

We flew that route once, it cost £16.04p for 2 return, the flights were 4p, the rest was tax

Jersey32D
26th Jul 2018, 06:15
E75 on the BHX isn’t common but it’s not totally unusual, not sure if it’s scheduled that way or a sub

as for LCY yes I had forgotten about that, it ran for one season just prior to SZ closing down ? I know BE applied for LCY slots for NQY but never used them

CS

The 175 was a late upgrade on BHX.

GROUNDHOG
26th Jul 2018, 19:21
Is Flybe's NQY/LGW still being subsidised from my hard earned taxes? Used it a couple of times recently, both full and it wasn't cheap?

BA for NQY/LHR, that I would use.

So is the route still getting a subsidy??

cornishsimon
26th Jul 2018, 20:43
Yes.

Newquay Airport flights to London will continue to be subsidised by government according to council | This is The West Country (http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/news/cornwall_news/16376319.newquay-airport-flights-to-london-will-continue-to-be-subsidised-by-government-according-to-council/)

cs

gkmeech
27th Jul 2018, 13:42
Noticed that today's BHX has an E175 operating. Loads that good (or filling for a poorly Dash)?

E175 and Dash8 have identical seating capacity (78).

Graham

cornishsimon
27th Jul 2018, 13:51
78 v 88

cs

GROUNDHOG
28th Jul 2018, 18:40
Yes.

Newquay Airport flights to London will continue to be subsidised by government according to council This is The West Country (http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/news/cornwall_news/16376319.newquay-airport-flights-to-london-will-continue-to-be-subsidised-by-government-according-to-council/)

cs
Thanks Simon
Just been seeing this in the local press.

I wonder why the route which as been operating so long at such high load factors and solid prices still needs a subsidy!

cornishsimon
28th Jul 2018, 20:07
I’m with you on that

iv never flown it with poor load factor. I can only assume due to the costs involved operating a relatively small aircraft into LGW ?

cs

TartinTon
28th Jul 2018, 20:16
Long answer short is that it doesn't. I think Flybe have only been able to claim minimal amounts due to the revenues that the route is able to generate. The PSO is subject to shortfalls to projected revenue budgets and not a guaranteed amount per operation.

cornishsimon
30th Jul 2018, 13:08
Does anyone know who the bidders are for the PSO on the nqy-London route ?

assume Flybe want to keep it but has anyone shown interest ?

cs

Powers
2nd Aug 2018, 00:46
Earlier details on this thread of Newquay’s possible involvement in Virgin Galactic’s space rocket programme, especially those relating to the B747 launch aircraft, reminded me of an interesting chat I had at the airfield in 1976 with the then boss - Group Captain Harry Archer. He was explaining the principles of airborne launching of small fast aircraft from bigger slower ones as I admired a large framed picture hanging in his office showing aircrew and aircraft associated with the 1960’s American X15 project. He was on loan in the USA at the time and flew the B52 launch aircraft so was a genuine expert on the subject. I considered myself fortunate to be in his company and hear of his experiences. Also in the superb picture was the X15 pilot, a young Neil Armstrong.

I’ve always remembered our short but fascinating conversation and now find it quite amazing that although rather tenuous, the link between St Mawgan/Newquay and air launched vehicles goes back over 40 years! Happy days!

Regards….Paul

AirportPlanner1
2nd Aug 2018, 06:23
thanks - so SEN LCY and STN have all fail and LGW is twice a day?

Just to note that SEN didn’t “fail”, it was moved to STN.

Wycombe
21st Sep 2018, 07:11
Looks like NQY-LGW has been on a 175 for several days now - is this a permanent change?

cornishsimon
21st Sep 2018, 09:30
Didn’t think the swap to E75 ops was supposed to happen just yet so it might be that an E95 is down for mx at the moment ?

out of curiosity how many routes would NQY need to sustain before it gets based aircraft and crew rather than night stopping crew based elsewhere ?

They are eventually dropping LGW to E75 so that’s a capacity reduction, could we see two E75s based to operate say LGW x4 daily and MAN x3 daily?

cs

PDXCWL45
21st Sep 2018, 11:13
Didn’t think the swap to E75 ops was supposed to happen just yet so it might be that an E95 is down for mx at the moment ?

out of curiosity how many routes would NQY need to sustain before it gets based aircraft and crew rather than night stopping crew based elsewhere ?

They are eventually dropping LGW to E75 so that’s a capacity reduction, could we see two E75s based to operate say LGW x4 daily and MAN x3 daily?

cs
They'd have to cut them from somewhere else though as from 2020 they'll only have 15 jets and if the bases stay as they are they'll need 3 at MAN, 3 at BHX, 3 at CWL, 2 at DSA, 1 at NQY, 1 at SOU and 1 at EXT and 1 for spare that's assuming they don't change anything.

cornishsimon
21st Sep 2018, 11:25
I was just saying 75s as they normally have commonality

MAN is currently ex MAN x2 daily on the Q

cs

cornishsimon
2nd Oct 2018, 13:06
NQY-LGW to continue as a pso for a further four years and will continue to be operated by Flybe

https://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news-by-industry/public-sector-news-categories/2018/10/airlink-secured-for-four-more-years/

cs

Global_Global
2nd Oct 2018, 13:40
NQY-AMS would be an excellent link for onward travel. Beats LGW hands down for connections.

southside bobby
2nd Oct 2018, 13:46
Vote buying endeavour only & announced by Grayling yesterday funnily enough live during his dreadful speech at the Tory Party Conference in Birmingham.

GROUNDHOG
2nd Oct 2018, 17:58
NQY-LGW to continue as a pso for a further four years and will continue to be operated by Flybe

https://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news-by-industry/public-sector-news-categories/2018/10/airlink-secured-for-four-more-years/

cs

I can think of a thousand better ways to spend the money rather than subsidise a route that has stood on its own two feet for decades.

cornishsimon
2nd Oct 2018, 19:56
Am I right in thinking that this pso only pays out in the event the route doesn’t cover its costs and that it’s actually costing the tax payer very little to underwrite ?

as for other routes yes I agree AMS must be fairly high up the list for city hopper now as it’s one of the few uk regional airports without a klm connection

i would also suggest that the current EI regional DUB-NQY route could be a candidate to go twice daily to cash in on the expanding EI network ex Dublin

cs

GayFriendly
3rd Oct 2018, 07:58
Rumour from within the BE cabin and flight crew community is that BE will open a small crew base at NQY from S19.

Makes sense with the big summer operation they have but not sure about winter when there is only LGW and MAN? (Although another back galley rumour has it BHX will become year round as well)

I know in summer that MAN crews are forever night stopping in NQY on 2 and 3 day trips to cover the NQY-LGW flights on the jet.

Interesting for NQY if this turns out to be more than a rumour although I have my doubts personally

cornishsimon
3rd Oct 2018, 11:21
Makes sense. How small is small ? What’s the smallest that would be considered a base ? 2?

1xE75 is pretty much occupied on the LGW run, however I personally think they could better utilize it but probably can’t due to ground delays at LGW.

Other than that MAN x2 daily with decent scope to go x3 I’d of thought, AN, mid day and late evening ?, bhx daily, how about AMS/CDG? Do AF/KLM still have the limit to codeshares that would prevent BE operating ex NqY with codeshare ?

I really do think that a LH/BE with LH codeshare to the likes of FRA would work well considering the popularity of Cornwall with German tourists

cs

cornishsimon
6th Oct 2018, 02:44
As per the nqy Facebook page. A new route for 2019 will be announced on Tuesday

cs

cornishsimon
6th Oct 2018, 17:41
Also looks like the E75 returned to BHX late last night and was replaced by E95 FBEG as the resident NQY ejet

cs

Jersey32D
6th Oct 2018, 18:16
Also looks like the E75 returned to BHX late last night and was replaced by E95 FBEG as the resident NQY ejet

cs

Purely maintenance purposes only. It's not here to stay!

_aax1
8th Oct 2018, 22:26
As per the nqy Facebook page. A new route for 2019 will be announced on Tuesday

cs

Scandinavian Airlines to launch CPH route.

BA318
9th Oct 2018, 06:47
SAS will fly twice weekly. Certainly an unexpected route.

cornishsimon
9th Oct 2018, 07:03
Operated by citijet on a crj900

good news for NQY and certainly unexpected

cs

Aso
9th Oct 2018, 08:14
Amsterdam? Please :)

Wycombe
9th Oct 2018, 18:20
Certainly an unexpected route

Indeed, I think another German, Med, or UK domestic destination (eg, SEN) was thought more likely.

This one has a very short season of only around 2 months, so looks speculative (or aligned to a Danish tour operator who may have bought a lot of the seats?).

Wondering if all of this years Ryanair and Eurowings destinations are returning next year? (I know ALC is operating through the winter, so assume that is)

Looks like Flybe's are, with the exception of STN.

awwdabaaby
9th Oct 2018, 18:30
Eurowings is operating weekly to Dusseldorf from 13th April

CabinCrewe
9th Oct 2018, 19:36
SAS are a bit hit and miss. As much as its a nice new route, Im sceptical about its long term viability but more a reflection of SAS than NQY. Better airlines would have a higher chance of success.,

Wycombe
9th Oct 2018, 21:20
Eurowings is operating weekly to Dusseldorf from 13th April

STR and TXL not returning next year then?

awwdabaaby
9th Oct 2018, 21:29
Stuttgart is avaliable once a week, Berlin showing as connections

AirportPlanner1
9th Oct 2018, 21:58
According to CAA stats numbers were pretty poor on the Berlin route, only an average of about 25 per flight so it’s no surprise it’s not coming back. Clearly more popular from western Germany.

BA318
18th Oct 2018, 09:21
Flybe will operate NQY-SEN next year. From April 2019 5 times weekly, increasing to daily from 1st May.

I assume it will be operated by Stobart but NQY Twitter doesn't say.

cornishsimon
18th Oct 2018, 10:06
The most unsurprising new route announcement in recent times considering STN was suspended.

Think it was suggested as a replacement or return on here

cs

Wycombe
18th Oct 2018, 19:13
I assume it will be operated by Stobart but NQY Twitter doesn't say.

NQY website does though....

https://www.cornwallairportnewquay.com/press/press-releases/cornwall-airport-newquay-to-grow-capital-links-in-2019

cornishsimon
19th Oct 2018, 00:26
Nice.

I had had assumed that it would be operated by BE mainline if NQY does become a Flybe base.

However this should put an end to the speculation about the Flybe/STK franchise future.

I wonder if BE/STK/BE could look at adding LCY from newquay as that is now surely a glaring gap in the schedule.

cs

toon22
14th Nov 2018, 19:19
Copenhagen. SAS have extended the operating season. Now starts 21st June. Encouraging.

cornishsimon
15th Nov 2018, 17:50
A glimmer of good news for NQY for 2019 at least !!

iv no doubt if the worse case scenario plays out for flybe that some routes will be picked up by other operators fairly quickly, MAN being the main one. I’m also certain London would and that STK would find a way to keep SEN running, however what happens to the recently awarded PSO if flybe go belly up, does it get retendered ?

cs

cornishsimon
22nd Nov 2018, 08:15
An interesting announcement locally today

NQY-LGW service will transfer to LHR from 2019!!!!

cs

BA318
22nd Nov 2018, 08:59
Personally I think that's great news. It opens up so many connections especially to the Star Alliance network from T2.

GROUNDHOG
22nd Nov 2018, 09:18
Certainly suits me better than LGW. Back to the old days of Westward 18!

Wonder if Flybe will still operate it though assuming they are still around then?

BA318
22nd Nov 2018, 10:13
According to twitter these are the timings:
BE801 NQY 0720-0830 LHR
BE803 NQY 1055-1205 LHR
BE805 NQY 1430-1540 LHR
BE807 NQY 1845-1955 LHR

BE802 LHR 0915-1025 NQY
BE804 LHR 1245-1355 NQY
BE806 LHR 1620-1730 NQY
BE808 LHR 2040-2150 NQY

canberra97
22nd Nov 2018, 10:27
And it's already listed on the Newquay Airport Wikipedia page, that didn't take long :-)

BA318
22nd Nov 2018, 11:03
Government statement on the announcement: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/transport-secretary-announces-new-flights-between-cornwall-and-heathrow

SWBKCB
22nd Nov 2018, 11:34
Any news on how this is being funded - is the funding just being moved over from LGW, is it a fixed amount by year, per flight, per pax, etc?

LGS6753
22nd Nov 2018, 14:22
Is a 40-minute turnround at Heathrow feasible?

PDXCWL45
22nd Nov 2018, 16:34
Any news on how this is being funded - is the funding just being moved over from LGW, is it a fixed amount by year, per flight, per pax, etc?
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/heathrow-newquay-flights-flybe-taxpayers-subsidise-cornwall-airport-a8646691.html

AirportPlanner1
22nd Nov 2018, 16:52
Is a 40-minute turnround at Heathrow feasible?

With the number of pax involved yes it would be, though it does look like they’re pushing their luck slightly with block times.

Navpi
22nd Nov 2018, 17:03
Its funded by the DFT with taxpayer money and somewhat oddly Cornwall council.

Absolutely no objection to a direct Heathrow service but a taxpayer subsidy from the DFT ?

Any route should stand or fall on merit, if the Newquay service is so important the demand has to be there. You cannot prop up a service and distort the market with UK wide taxpayer monies whilst then claiming it's a vital air link, if nobody uses it, it's clearly not that vital. And why should Newquay claim a service over say Liverpool OR Durham?
Who decides who gets what ?

i presume that politically there was no mileage in giving consideration to a Liverpool service which is of course staunch Labour.

....and as for the local council chipping in. Clearly this is a better ways to spend ratepayers money than social care and keeping libraries open.

It smacks of a contrived marketing ploy between the DFT and HAL.

And where have 8 slots a day suddenly appeared from, is Derren Brown working approach ?

SWBKCB
22nd Nov 2018, 17:32
Any route should stand or fall on merit, if the Newquay service is so important the demand has to be there. You cannot prop up a service and distort the market with UK wide taxpayer monies whilst then claiming it's a vital air link, if nobody uses it, it's clearly not that vital. And why should Newquay claim a service over say Liverpool OR Durham? Who decides who gets what ?

Last time I looked, Cornwall was the poorest region in England and the most remote from the capital (and with crap surface transport links). These conditions have been generally accepted as being reasons for a PSO. Are you saying that no forms of public transport should be subsidised and left to the free market? And do you not accept that there's a place for taxpayers money in promoting regional development?

SWBKCB
22nd Nov 2018, 17:36
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/heathrow-newquay-flights-flybe-taxpayers-subsidise-cornwall-airport-a8646691.html

Thanks - but this doesn't say whether this is the same as is currently being spent on the Gatwick flights (it impiles that it is more), or on what basis the money is paid out.

TartinTon
22nd Nov 2018, 18:33
I was told that no money was spent on the LGW flights as they performed so well. The PSO was not a guaranteed sum of money but an underpin should the route not perform well. It did and so the public purse was not touched.

I have no idea yet if the LHR deal is the same but I'm also curious as to where the slots have come from as there are no remedy slots applicable for this route.

BA318
22nd Nov 2018, 18:55
Apparently the slots are from the Manchester pool which BA was made to give up following the buy out of BMI. That’s according to an article in the Independent. I assume this is where the Government involvement comes in as they would have had to agree to allow these to be used for another route.

Wycombe
22nd Nov 2018, 19:30
This rumour from early Oct has a little more credence now...

Rumour from within the BE cabin and flight crew community is that BE will open a small crew base at NQY from S19

Who knows - they could flying for Virgin Regional by then.....

Virgin Atlantic and Flybe (https://news.sky.com/story/virgin-at...flybe-11560548)

cornishsimon
22nd Nov 2018, 20:26
I agree about the potential crew base.

i could see Manchester going x3 daily ex NQY with BHX making up the flying for a second based Q

cs

Reversethrustset
22nd Nov 2018, 21:19
The crew base won't happen. I wouldn't be hanging your hats on it.

Navpi
22nd Nov 2018, 21:54
I absolutely agree that Cornwall should have proper investment as indeed should Wales, East Anglia, The North East etc etc.

But with many local services on their knees this just smacks of a cheap shot at buying Tory votes in SW marginals. And buying the support of locals re Heathrow. If they realised they could benefit to the tune of say £1bn in direct investment or £1bn 250 miles away what do you think they would choose. It will take an awful lot of punters to generate that kind of indirect investment.

If we had some politicians who cared about the country rather than just London we might get somewhere.

Did anybody see last week's Apprentice, OMG one of the new CROSSRAIL stations looked like The Eden Project. And that is just one single station. It puts regional transport infastructure to shame.

When it's investment in London, Whitehall seem to sign off the finer things in life off with a flourish but for everywhere else it's gruel for supper everyday.

nonemmet
22nd Nov 2018, 22:59
I’m not convinced that the move to LHR is such good news. Ok, if you want a long haul connection it’s better than LGW, but if you want to get to a mainland europe destination easyJet’s LGW network is huge, and goes to most of the business destinations served by LHR in addition to a vast number of leisure destinations, but will generally be cheaper. As for getting into central London, LGW trains to Blackfriars or Victoria beat the heathrow express on getting you to the city, lawyers or Westminster, both on price and time. Crossrail won’t be much better unless you want to go shopping.

cornishsimon
22nd Nov 2018, 23:31
I actually agree. It’s a shame that LHR couldn’t be run in addition to say a twice daily LGW and a seasonal LCY ?

cs

ajamieson
23rd Nov 2018, 11:18
The DfT announcement does not specify, but I presume the new PSO-supported LHR slots are picked from the pool of ex-bmi remedy slots that, by happy coincidence, Flybe is operating. Win-win for the airline and LGW by removing a one-off "outlier" service.
easyJet’s LGW network is huge, and goes to most of the business destinations served by LHR in addition to a vast number of leisure destinations .... . Crossrail won’t be much better unless you want to go shopping.
Untrue. Besides, connectivity is for business and investment, not access to cheaper holidays.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Nov 2018, 11:28
Did anybody see last week's Apprentice, OMG one of the new CROSSRAIL stations looked like The Eden Project. And that is just one single station. It puts regional transport infastructure to shame.

When it's investment in London, Whitehall seem to sign off the finer things in life off with a flourish but for everywhere else it's gruel for supper everyday.

Just to note the ‘Eden’ station is Canary Wharf which was privately funded. Regardless the income it generates from commercial lets is infinitely greater than would be the case in your average British town, thus even if public probably wouldn’t fall into the category of “vanity project” or “white elephant”.

Another point to note is that additional rail capacity in London is desperately needed, probably more critically than other areas. While the need for investment is also true outside London, the two shouldn’t be mutually exclusive.

EI-BUD
24th Nov 2018, 13:03
I've been reflecting in the news of NQY-LHR route. On the face of it, this sounds to be great news.
I would throw some caution to thec wind.

When BA acquired Brymon, one of the first things that happened was to switch the route to the west country over to LGW. JER and IOM routes went the same way. They saw this course of action add commercially attractive.

And so it goes, as soon as these slots become eligible for other operations, you can be sure NQY will be the looser. Will LGW slots be available the service? No.

The transfer to LHR will drive increased connecting traffic, surely when a PSO was agreed it was to ensure that people living in the west country had adequate connectivity to London, to the capital for work etc. Therefore, I suggest that a move to LHR means that the PSO is subsiidising the airline to increase connecting psssengers. No such subsidy is available to other airlines or routes ex NQY for such an activity??

SWBKCB
24th Nov 2018, 13:37
A PSO can be considered for a route "considered vital for the economic and social development of the region which the airport serves" - so connecting traffic certainly comes into the equation. As LHR is the main airport of the capital and economic centre, as well offering connections to the most destinations, it's the airport that most meets that definition.

cornishsimon
24th Nov 2018, 20:33
The PSO was available to others to bid on. However the most likely operator of a domestic route at LHr doesn’t seem to of been interested

that’s not to say that if the worse happens and BE goes belly up that BA won’t decide to take on the pso contract.

cs

EastMids
24th Nov 2018, 20:44
The problem for BA was that it would have had raid its own slot pool to fly a NQY service, whereas Flybe was able to access the remaining unallocated IAG/bmi remedy slots. If Flybe collapses then it would probably take some political intervention to put any other carrier on the route to LHR using those remedy slots.

rog747
25th Nov 2018, 06:51
When Bymon had the NQY-LHR route twice daily route (early morning and an evening ) with the 50 seat Herald (taken over from BMA in 1977 who had used a 73 seat VC8) we at BMA LHR handled BC and both their evening and the morning NQY flights were always very busy with both interliners and businessmen -- plus plenty of connecting pax to the Isles of Scilly on the morning departure out of LHR
Seem to recall at weekends it was a more limited service as the Herald did JER charters iirc from MAN and SEN.

When BC got the new Dash 7 a lunchtime service from LHR was added that flew via EXT

A new LHR-NQY service I reckon will be very successful for whoever operates it - Amazing what comes around again!

cornishsimon
21st Jan 2019, 01:47
Looks like FR have quietly dropped HHN-NQY with no flights showing available on the FR website.

cs

Aso
21st Jan 2019, 06:59
Too bad with all this Brexit stuff as I think that a KLM AMS to Newquay service would be great....

PDXCWL45
21st Jan 2019, 08:37
Too bad with all this Brexit stuff as I think that a KLM AMS to Newquay service would be great....
It's not Brexit that will be stopping that but paucity of slots at AMS and whether they could get sufficient onwards connecting passengers.

kfsimpson
21st Jan 2019, 09:16
It's not Brexit that will be stopping that but paucity of slots at AMS and whether they could get sufficient onwards connecting passengers.

No chance of sufficient passengers for multiple daily rotations, and a single daily rotation won't help passengers faced with a connecting time of many hours. Nice thought but the population of the catchment area doesn't justify it.

cornishsimon
7th Feb 2019, 12:34
From the flybe thread, BE are advertising for crew to be based at NQY

i think just cabin crew and assumption is that this will reduce the need for overnighting in hotels as they currently do

cs

GayFriendly
9th Feb 2019, 10:02
From the flybe thread, BE are advertising for crew to be based at NQY

i think just cabin crew and assumption is that this will reduce the need for overnighting in hotels as they currently do

cs

Sure is to reduce HOTAC and positioning costs. There have been multiple MAN crews over nighting in NQY along with occasional EXT and BHX based crew to cover the operation. Makes sense to have some crew locally based. Transfers have also been offered internally to go to this new base.

Flightrider
9th Feb 2019, 10:06
The other factor is that pilot resignations in the regional bases have apparently been a lot lower than at points such as MAN, BHX, SOU where there are lots of other jobs on offer or jobs on offer nearby (LHR in the case of SOU). I would think a crew base at NQY will be quite attractive and will help them retain pilots for longer, given the significant numbers apparently leaving from other bases, mostly to go to BA, TUI and Jet2.

toon22
20th Feb 2019, 14:37
New route: NQY - JER/GCI 3pw from 1st June. Blue Islands.
Good addition for this year.

cornishsimon
20th Feb 2019, 15:11
Very good addition and a route nice to have back

cs

GROUNDHOG
21st Feb 2019, 07:47
I am up for using that one, ideal for a quick break in the Channel Islands, will book as soon as the route is up and running.
Am I right in thinking Blue Islands is a franchise partner of Flybe, guess that will not change after the takeover, can you book Blue Islands through Flybe?. I currently have an expiring credit with Flybe and it would be handy to use it for that flight..

PDXCWL45
21st Feb 2019, 07:58
I am up for using that one, ideal for a quick break in the Channel Islands, will book as soon as the route is up and running.
Am I right in thinking Blue Islands is a franchise partner of Flybe, guess that will not change after the takeover, can you book Blue Islands through Flybe?. I currently have an expiring credit with Flybe and it would be handy to use it for that flight..
all bookings through Flybe.com

GROUNDHOG
21st Feb 2019, 08:55
all bookings through Flybe.com

Excellent thanks!

toon22
8th Mar 2019, 18:44
Alicante now loaded for 19/20. 2pw.

cornishsimon
30th Mar 2019, 06:59
Today marks the final Newquay-Gatwick flights.

The E95 seems to operate the two lgws then the NQY-MAN where it’s replaced with a Q400 at Manchester in preparation for tomorrow’s first LHR service.

The move to four daily Q400 and move to lhr brings with it a reduction in available seats and the loss of OW codeshares

Heathrow will be a nice addition to the NQY route network. However the loss of seats and OW connectivity is a blow.

cs

AirportPlanner1
30th Mar 2019, 08:13
However the loss of seats and OW connectivity is a blow.

Will the new service not provide even better connectivity, especially when BE is fully integrated into Virgin?

cornishsimon
30th Mar 2019, 11:16
The BE LGW service always had VS, BA, EK codeshares.

The vs/stk purchase of BE and the move to lhr has resulted in the BA code not being applied. So yes ex newquay you can book onward o to the VS/partner networks, however many destinations have now vanished

cs

ajamieson
30th Mar 2019, 12:13
Heathrow will be a nice addition to the NQY route network. However the loss of seats and OW connectivity is a blow.

Very limited BA codeshares; they only worked for certain routes and timings. The VS/DL codeshare opportunities at LHR are far greater than LGW and I see no reason why EK could not continue after the switch also. And even with separate tickets onward with BA there are generally more business travel options at LHR than LGW.

FFHKG
30th Mar 2019, 12:23
Problems with separate tickets is that you cannot through checked-in baggage onto BA flights at LHR, and if your inbound flight into LHR (in either direction) is delayed and fails to connect, you are on your own to re-organise your travel. For example, if your flight from NQY is delayed and you miss your connection at LHR, you could be obliged to buy a new ticket! You also have to bear in mind connection time between terminals at LHR is generally around 30 minutes.

GROUNDHOG
30th Mar 2019, 17:45
You win some you lose some. I have to go to a funeral in Worthing next week and would almost certainly have used NQY/LGW to do it, however, NQY/LHR is not ideal by the time you have cleared a busy airport and picked up a hire car I could have almost driven there at a fraction of the cost. On the other hand I will almost certainly be using the LHR flight for our trips to YVR with BA.

rog747
2nd Apr 2019, 14:17
Not a good look - First day of LHR Ops - last evenings goes tech at 8pm and folk bussed to LHR - 6 hours - nice (not)

I would have preferred they put me on the GWR sleeper

GROUNDHOG
3rd Jun 2019, 21:35
Anyone know how the new JER service went today and an idea how future bookings are looking?

toon22
20th Jun 2019, 11:50
SAS Copenhagen starts tomorrow. Something of a coup for Newquay. Will the pax be largely Danish - originating.?

Espada III
2nd Jul 2019, 10:59
Just flying from NQY and notice a Virgin A340 parked up.

What is it going here?

cornishsimon
3rd Jul 2019, 09:00
The VS A346 is in for storage until the winter season when it will be off for scrapping, not sure where it will go to be parted out, it could be done at NQY. My guess is that’s it’s kept ready to fly and complete internally as a hot spare should it be needed

its been used for some publicity shots while at newquay for the new virgin galactic sat launching system which is proposed to operate ex NQY on an ex VS 744

cs

Martin the Martian
4th Jul 2019, 12:31
Only 13 years old and being scrapped already. Not even approaching mid life if it was military.

Espada III
4th Jul 2019, 18:37
It was certainly very alive at my last look. Red beacons flashing and at least one engine running judging by the heat haze at the rear of the wing.

Shame it's being scrapped. Such a great plane but not quite meeting the needs of the industry at the time. Far better from a passenger perspective than the B777.

Jersey32D
4th Jul 2019, 21:40
I was under the impression this aircraft was placed in mid term storage pending end of lease to Virgin, in a condition whereby it could "quickly" be returned to service should extra capacity be required and returned to the lessor after this period...

​​​​​​

BA318
11th Jul 2019, 16:06
In the W19 interim slot allocations, Flybe's NQY-MAN route is listed as going from Daily to twice daily.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MAN-W19-Initial-Coordination-Report.pdf

LBIA
11th Jul 2019, 17:09
Flybe Newquay - Leeds route is now back on sale for winter 2019/20 operating 2x weekly on Monday & Fridays.

Mondays
LBA 1620 - NQY 1735 / NQY 1820 - LBA 1935
Fridays
LBA 0805 - NQY 0920 / NQY 1005 - LBA 1120

​https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/flybe-adds-new-flights-newquay-3071843 (https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/flybe-adds-new-flights-newquay-3071843)

cornishsimon
11th Jul 2019, 20:32
NQY-MAN Twice daily makes huge amounts of sense, for connectivity ongoing I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go x3 daily with early AM, midday, late PM operating on a Nqy based unit.

cs

PDXCWL45
3rd Oct 2019, 10:39
New airline and new routes.
Loganair will launch Aberdeen, Newcastle, Glasgow and Norwich to Newquay.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1179685810959986688

cornishsimon
4th Oct 2019, 20:02
Well they do indeed seem to be building quite a domestic network at newquay.

congratulations to all

cs

highwideandugly
4th Oct 2019, 20:14
Out of general interest..Other than tourist type visitors..please remind us..what is the published catchment area for Newquay and area!

cornishsimon
14th Nov 2019, 06:45
I’m very much hoping for the best but LHR-NQY doesn’t seem to show up past the end of March whereas the other LHR flybe routes seem to have schedules loaded. ??

dropped or error ?

cs

Reversethrustset
14th Nov 2019, 08:40
They haven't released the whole summer schedule yet.

Willo 3D
14th Nov 2019, 09:12
There does appear to be MAN departures at 06:45 and 18:30 everyday

cornishsimon
14th Nov 2019, 18:14
Yep. Does look like a Nqy based unit is required for an ex newquay departure to Manchester.

still no direct heathrow loaded past March 20 I would struggle with it being dropped as it’s a pso

cs

LBIA
14th Nov 2019, 19:41
Leeds looks to be operated by Newquay based Dash 8 as well. Ops 2x weekly - Fri & Sun increases to 4x weekly - Mon, Fri, Sat & Sun peak summer (June to August)

Mon, Fri & Sun
BE754 = NQY 14:55 – LBA 16:05 / BE755 = LBA 16:35 – NQY 17:45
Sat
​​​​BE754 = NQY 10:55 – LBA 12:05 / BE755 = LBA 12:35 – NQY 14:35

BA318
14th Nov 2019, 20:48
Yep. Does look like a Nqy based unit is required for an ex newquay departure to Manchester.

still no direct heathrow loaded past March 20 I would struggle with it being dropped as it’s a pso

cs

it wont be dropped as it’s a PSO route but could be that Flybe/Virgin are shuffling slots around to make the most of what they have so perhaps the timings will change a bit.

Wycombe
18th Nov 2019, 20:24
BEE won't be operating to GLA, NCL, LPL or DSA next Summer (as already mentioned, LOG are picking-up GLA and NCL),
although JER/GCI (operated by BCI) will continue.
In addition to LHR, it doesn't look like BHX or BHD are yet released for S19 (these are not on their cancelled routes list)
Doesn't look like SAS are coming back.

PDXCWL45
18th Nov 2019, 21:02
BEE won't be operating to GLA, NCL, LPL or DSA next Summer (as already mentioned, LOG are picking-up GLA and NCL),
In addition to LHR, it doesn't look like BHX or BHD are yet released for S19 (these are not on their cancelled routes list)
SAS is onsale 2 weekly Monday and Friday from the 26th June to 11th August 2020.
Eurowings has Dusseldorf onsale 1 weekly Saturday from May to September 5th.
And Stuttgart operates from 23rd May to 15th September 1 weekly Saturday.

OltonPete
18th Nov 2019, 22:15

BHX was part of the initial release but greatly reduced. I find the Flybe website absolutely useless but it seems to start Monday 25 May four times a week, then a Saturday is added in August.

It seems to end at the end of September.

Pete

cornishsimon
18th Nov 2019, 23:09
Yep. Think we won’t know the full extent of the Newquay BE network till they get around to putting the rest of the schedule on sale.

so far it looks like x2 bases dh8, 1 operates an early ex Nqy to Manchester return. Edinburgh seems to have an increase over previous years so with x4 lhr assuming it retuems
and x2 man it does leave some playing around with schedules for my assumes 2 based aircraft

cs

cornishsimon
21st Nov 2019, 20:27
Hmmmmm

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/flybe-customers-told-newquay-heathrow-3562901

poor reporting in my opinion but it does beg the question. When and if the route will go on sale ?

cs

nonemmet
21st Nov 2019, 22:45
Is the PSO a public document? Could Virgin Connect replace LHR flights with SEN flights and still meet the obligation? PSO’s are an EU transport law creation, when does the current one expire? Will an equivalent subsidy be put in place post Brexit? Obviously Virgin would prefer to use the LHR slots for their widebodies. Was it a mistake to move from LGW?

PDXCWL45
22nd Nov 2019, 08:12
Is the PSO a public document? Could Virgin Connect replace LHR flights with SEN flights and still meet the obligation? PSO’s are an EU transport law creation, when does the current one expire? Will an equivalent subsidy be put in place post Brexit? Obviously Virgin would prefer to use the LHR slots for their widebodies. Was it a mistake to move from LGW?
I don't think that the authorities would pay them money to fly to Southend. The whole point of shifting to Heathrow was to get better connectivity to Cornwall as Heathrow provides them with access to a major hub. Flying to southend would be a waste of money.
As for the slots I believe that they are from the BA remedy pool and not Virgin Atlantic ones.

chaps1954
22nd Nov 2019, 09:47
If passengers want to travel long haul come up to Manchester plenty of routes and growing

PDXCWL45
22nd Nov 2019, 12:51
If passengers want to travel long haul come up to Manchester plenty of routes and growing
Manchester doesn't offer as much option as Heathrow does.

GROUNDHOG
26th Nov 2019, 17:57
Looks like the Council have agreed the £12 million for the spaceport today, another step nearer.

I am flying long haul BA business class from LHR next week and have chosen to simply rent a car and drop it at LHR here is why.

For two of us and masses of baggage, to drive from home to NQY ( I live West of it), check in, take the flight, collect my baggage at LHR involves an elapsed time of at least three hours and leaving my car at NQY for a month or an expensive taxi to get there.Now add the two hours I would arrive early for my departing flight, that is five hours. This involves offloading the bags at NQY and collecting them again at LHR rather than just putting them in the back of the car and the nice man from Hertz loading them on his bus and dropping me by the terminal door. Yes it will take me an hour or so longer overall to drive but I can time it to arrive exactly when I want and save a shed load of money in the meantime. LGW on the other hand was much longer to drive to and therefore to me a closer decision.
I would certainly look at MAN, GLA, DUB or anywhere else if the timings were right but none of these offer a proper business class service to YVR.
( before anyone has a go at me I know BA/AC do not fly from LGW either!)

cornishsimon
26th Nov 2019, 19:18
Hi groundhog.

goos points well made.

for information in the future flybe do still interline with BA, they just don’t codeshare so you are able to book via say Expedia and have BExxxx and BAxxx all on one ticket which would negate the need to collect bags in LHR in either direction.

​​​​​​​cs

GROUNDHOG
27th Nov 2019, 12:01
Thanks Simon, good point never thought of that.

Asturias56
27th Nov 2019, 16:46
" I can time it to arrive exactly when I want"

please tell me the secret of being able to forecast exactly how the traffic around Exeter, Bristol and LHR can be forecast to allow this?

My travel times by car from LHR to mid Cornwall have varied from 3:45 to 6:30 over the last year..............

GROUNDHOG
28th Nov 2019, 19:30
Asturias56. Of course I can't tell you in advance whether my drive will be delayed any more than I can tell you whether my flight will be delayed, nor can I tell you next weeks lottery winning numbers.
Logic dictates you leave in plenty of time, then adjust your speed and route of progress accordingly, not so hard to do with modern technology.
What you do highlight with that comment is the added flexibility of driving over flying, if there is adverse weather for instance I can just set off earlier or even the day before, you can't necessarily do that when you have a flight booking you are committed to.
My journey times to LGW have been between 5 and 10 hours, LHR 4 hours and 7 hours....hence the reason I say LGW was more beneficial to me than LHR.

AirportPlanner1
28th Nov 2019, 20:09
What you do highlight with that comment is the added flexibility of driving over flying, if there is adverse weather for instance I can just set off earlier or even the day before, you can't necessarily do that when you have a flight booking you are committed to.

But in turn you highlight a drawback of driving - if there’s adverse weather you’ll likely have to set off anyway not knowing if you’re going or not. And then potentially spend a night or two stuck in a (potentially expensive) hotel you’ll probably have to pay for out your own pocket, possibly without a car because it’s in the pre-booked car park.

Or you could be at home until your new flight goes, which might be your original route or a detour via MAN or somewhere else.

GROUNDHOG
28th Nov 2019, 20:45
But I want to fly from the UK to Canada having my flight from NQY a day later isn't going to help. The car question is why I always do a rental with Hertz apart from not wanting to leave my own car at the airport for s month.
just checked the fare one way for our dates with four bags two people and the cost is over £350

Asturias56
29th Nov 2019, 13:52
That's my point - whatever method you use you have to take a view on possible delays - if I MUST be somewhere I travel a lot earlier (a day extra for intercontinental trips) than if "it would be nice to arrive at..."

Driving to/from Cornwall can be a very pleasant experience - but it can also be the third circle of hell. Overall the train is best - but until they put in the Reading- LHR link connection it's not very good for connecting.

Hard to damn the air connection on those grounds IMHO

GROUNDHOG
29th Nov 2019, 18:02
Certainly not damning the air connection, I have used it in the past and will again BUT the onward travel circumstances have to be right to fit in. I was a great advocate of LHR but every time I have looked at using it the fares have been prohibitive or the timings do not connect.

cornishsimon
3rd Dec 2019, 13:08
Still no actual word from flybe or Nqy re LHR post March 20

but in other news the Loganair NQY-NWI service has been scrapped before the first flight has taken place. This is due to Loganair closing the NWI base
https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/flights-from-norwich-to-newquay-cancelled-1-6406616

cs

SWBKCB
20th Dec 2019, 05:25
A spokesman for Newquay airport said: "To reassure passengers, we can confirm that tickets on the London PSO service beyond 28 March 2020 are expected to be on sale from the week commencing 6 January 2020. Although passengers can currently only book travel on the service between Newquay and Heathrow until the end of March, the PSO service to London is contracted to operate four daily flights, seven days per week until October 2022 and that commitment remains unchanged."

New statement on future of Newquay Cornwall to Heathrow flights (https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/new-statement-future-newquay-cornwall-3661564)

cornishsimon
20th Dec 2019, 07:08
I would be very pleased if the current x4 daily service continues.

that would require a second dh8 based at NQY which once full schedules are available indicate an increase in flying on a daily basis as the other unit would do an early and late NQY-MAN return. Will be interesting to see how the schedules are filled in here, I know there’s some increases in EDI and I suspect that LBA would be flown ex NQY also

cs

Wycombe
20th Dec 2019, 08:11
I and a few others had a bit of a rant at NQY on their FB page yesterday afternoon. Perhaps this is the result.

This is the Airport's most important route, run by it's biggest airline operator, and yet there seemed to be a complete lack of certainty - at least from a communication perspective - from both parties about it's status after the Winter-Summer schedule change near to the end of March.

If it is continuing (and the PSO says it should, although it shouldn't be assumed that everyone knows that) you would think that Flybe would want to sell tickets for the period after 28th March.

Or (cynical hat on) is it a ploy to release later, and push fares up!

cornishsimon
20th Dec 2019, 08:22
Funnily enough iv been having a dig on Twitter at them also. Even managed to end up quoted by simon Calder in the press.

however iv only seen this unspecified quote in Cornwall live, nothing anywhere other than that

cs

Wycombe
20th Dec 2019, 10:04
This was also posted on their FB page yesterday afternoon after some of the questioning by myself and others....

Tickets on the London PSO service beyond 28 March 2020 are expected to be on sale from the week commencing 6 January 2020.

Although you can currently only book travel on the service between Newquay and Heathrow until the end of March, the PSO service to London is contracted to operate 4 daily flights, 7 days per week until October 2022 and that commitment remains unchanged.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this delay to tickets being on sale is causing to passengers using the service but we are working with Flybe to optimise the route and ensure that Cornwall has the best available connectivity to London and beyond.

cornishsimon
20th Dec 2019, 10:22
Notice that they haven’t specified which London airport in that quote

cs

Wycombe
20th Dec 2019, 11:46
Notice that they haven’t specified which London airport in that quote

An interesting observation - there has been a lot of lobbying for the route to go back to LGW!

I don't think that aligns with the global connectivity mantra as well as LHR though.

Asturias56
20th Dec 2019, 12:53
if you live in Cornwall be thankful you can connect with anywhere else TBH

Let's be honest - there isn't a vast number of massive exporting businesses in the area is there?

Set 1013
16th Jan 2020, 14:36
Flybe to drop NQY to LHR and return back to LGW operations according to the BBC news.

GROUNDHOG
16th Jan 2020, 17:34
Guess that opens the door for Willie Walsh to do his NQY/LHR high season that he offered .... :ugh:

LBIA
16th Jan 2020, 23:17
DETAILS OF FLYBE’S TWO NEW SUMMER 2020 ROUTES FROM NEWQUAY

https://www.flybe.com/media/news/january-2020/1601?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=&utm_term=flybe&utm_content=a926b04e-17fe-4d86-b364-ccfda6c39f54&utm_campaign=default_post

Available for travel 29th March – 24th October 2020

NEWQUAY(NQY) – AMSTERDAM (AMS)

Operates Daily (excepting Wed)

Dep NQY 1110 Arr 1355 Dep AMS 1440 Arr NQY 1525

NEWQUAY (NQY) – LONDON GATWICK (LGW)

Operates Daily

Dep NQY 0705 Arr LGW 0825 Dep LGW 0925 Arr NQY 1040

Dep NQY 1015 Arr LGW 1135 Dep LGW 1220 Arr NQY 1335

Dep NQY 1555 Arr LGW 1715 Dep LGW 1800 Arr NQY 1915

Dep NQY 1835 Arr LGW 1955 Dep LGW 2045 Arr NQY 2200

cornishsimon
17th Jan 2020, 04:00
Also Manchester up to 18 per week. X3 Monday to Friday ? Double daily at the weekends ?

as I previously suggested this will require x2 based aircraft at newquay

cs

rog747
17th Jan 2020, 07:00
I would think the lobby to go back to LGW is that many local folk want to go on their holidays with package tour companies where LHR does not offer choice to that many

SWBKCB
17th Jan 2020, 07:07
I would think the lobby to go back to LGW is that many local folk want to go on their holidays with package tour companies where LHR does not offer choice to that many

Not exactly the point of a PSO...

Regulation 1008/2008 says:

may impose a public service obligation in respect of scheduled air services between an airport in the Community and an airport serving a peripheral or development region in its territory or on a thin route to any airport on its territory any such route being considered vital for the economic and social development of the region which the airport serves.

Willo 3D
17th Jan 2020, 07:21
Also Manchester up to 18 per week. X3 Monday to Friday ? Double daily at the weekends ?

as I previously suggested this will require x2 based aircraft at newquay

cs

Looks like Manchester is twice daily Mon - Fri and Sun and one flight on a Sat so 13 per week.

Wycombe
17th Jan 2020, 07:29
Not exactly the point of a PSO...

Maybe not but a lot of the feedback on NQY's social media channels is as rog747 stated. There was a clammer to return to LGW mainly for connection to the EZY network.

rog747
17th Jan 2020, 07:43
Maybe not but a lot of the feedback on NQY's social media channels is as rog747 stated. There was a clammer to return to LGW mainly for connection to the EZY network.

Thanks, exactly my point- IIRC when Ryanair operated the NQY-STN route many local pax clamoured to connect onwards at STN with FR, EZY and TCK and Thomson's Etc...
Same as the ''want'' now again for LGW it would seem

SWBKCB
17th Jan 2020, 07:51
That might be so - just not a suitable case for taxpayers support!

Navpi
17th Jan 2020, 08:33
"Also Manchester up to 18 per week. X3 Monday to Friday ? Double daily at the weekends ?
as I previously suggested this will require x2 based aircraft at Newquay".

Connections ex Manchester are excellent, EZY, RYR and long haul.

Asturias56
17th Jan 2020, 08:51
You'd think that LGW wasn't suitable for people travelling to London from some of the comments here. The only advantage of LHR is better connections if you are connecting long-haul

But how many people travel on BUSINESS to/from Cornwall internationally - there isn't a major international business in the county............

cornishsimon
17th Jan 2020, 09:15
Looks like Manchester is twice daily Mon - Fri and Sun and one flight on a Sat so 13 per week.

it looks from the press release that Manchester gets an extra 5 returns from the currently on sale
schedule.

cs

ajamieson
21st Jan 2020, 07:34
NQY-AMS schedule seems to be (based on a random Tuesday...)

BE1543 11:10 NQY 13:55 AMS
BE1544 14:40 AMS 15:25 NQYI don't see it on sale to connecting destinations via klm.com yet (hardly surprising, given the lead time) but hopefully that will be fixed soon. Coupled with DL/KL/VS options from MAN and VS/DL options from LGW there could be better connectivity in the longer run.

TartinTon
21st Jan 2020, 17:04
Isn't there a restriction imposed by KL pilot unions on the number of codeshares from a particular country?

cornishsimon
21st Jan 2020, 17:39
Yep I think so

does the klm site sell VS coded and BE coded flights ? I genuinely don’t know

cs

BA318
21st Jan 2020, 18:23
Isn't there a restriction imposed by KL pilot unions on the number of codeshares from a particular country?

I thought so too. If I remember correctly it was something like two routes which was why KLM recently changed their codeshare from one route to another here (can’t remember which).

ajamieson
22nd Jan 2020, 07:09
Starting a hub feed without any codeshares with the hub airline would seem silly even by the standards of recent decision-making.

As for union restrictions, there were far more codeshares 10-15 years ago when the entire UK-KL feeder operation was run from Britain; can't imagine a single daily arrival from NQY is going to exercise pilots.

Flightrider
22nd Jan 2020, 07:22
It's a strictly enforced maximum of three codeshare routes per codeshare partner. And although the KLM operation used to be run from UK crew bases, those have all been closed over those last 10-15 years and all work repatriated to the Netherlands. There was a reason for that, and it wasn't cost. The VNV would get very exercised indeed if KLM started to push the boundaries of the codeshare agreements into AMS where they believe KLM should be doing all of the flying itself.

rog747
22nd Jan 2020, 07:52
NQY-AMS schedule seems to be (based on a random Tuesday...)

BE1543 11:10 NQY 13:55 AMS
BE1544 14:40 AMS 15:25 NQYI don't see it on sale to connecting destinations via klm.com yet (hardly surprising, given the lead time) but hopefully that will be fixed soon. Coupled with DL/KL/VS options from MAN and VS/DL options from LGW there could be better connectivity in the longer run.

Those timings are pretty Lousy for interlining at AMS - You miss the all morning and lunchtime departures out of AMS (CPT for instance deps at 1030) and for the evening flights you will have a very long wait at AMS.
Likewise the inbound means if you land say from the US or Africa early doors, then you have to wait until after lunchtime to get home - Not the best IMHO....

ajamieson
22nd Jan 2020, 08:36
Agree the timing isn't great but there will be some possibilities just because of the volume of onward flights; it's less lousy than the afternoon DUB-NQY which misses most things in both directions!

As for the codeshares, which other routes does Flybe operate out of AMS? EXT, SOU and LCY?

BA318
22nd Jan 2020, 09:36
Agree the timing isn't great but there will be some possibilities just because of the volume of onward flights; it's less lousy than the afternoon DUB-NQY which misses most things in both directions!

As for the codeshares, which other routes does Flybe operate out of AMS? EXT, SOU and LCY?

According to Wikipedia: Birmingham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Airport), East Midlands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands_Airport), Exeter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_Airport), London–City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_City_Airport), Manchester (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Airport), Newquay (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newquay_Airport) (begins 29 March 2020), Southampton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Airport)

rog747
22nd Jan 2020, 10:22
You might have thought that the good selling point of the great choice of the USA flights catchment with Aer Lingus (with the handy Pre Immigration clearance at DUB) would have been a good idea for the flights out of NQY to DUB to actually connect with all of the EI Transatlantic's going West....bit of a no brainer?

As Eddy Monsoon from Ab Fab would have said PR darling PR....

PDXCWL45
22nd Jan 2020, 10:33
You might have thought that the good selling point of the great choice of the USA flights catchment with Aer Lingus (with the handy Pre Immigration clearance at DUB) would have been a good idea for the flights out of NQY to DUB to actually connect with all of the EI Transatlantic's going West....bit of a no brainer?

As Eddy Monsoon from Ab Fab would have said PR darling PR....
Or maybe Aer Lingus are looking at as a nice holiday destination for the Irish instead of transatlantic feed to and from there especially as Newquay not only has a London link but a Manchester link which will provide that.

SWBKCB
22nd Jan 2020, 10:49
Or maybe Aer Lingus are looking at as a nice holiday destination for the Irish instead of transatlantic feed to and from there especially as Newquay not only has a London link but a Manchester link which will provide that.

And gives that a/c something to do in the slack periods when it isn't providing T/A feed from the big commercial centres

ajamieson
22nd Jan 2020, 10:56
Well, indeed. EI does sell a couple of transatlantics as a connection (the late JFK and the eastbound BOS I think) but not every day of the week and the price is often comically uncompetitive. It doesn't sell any short-haul connections even though quite a few would work rather nicely. I've flown NQY-DUB-LYS, CDG-DUB-NQY and NQY-DUB-EDI in preference to driving to EXT or BRS but I've had to buy the tickets separately and shoulder the risk.

In future, Flybe via MAN or AMS will be more useful, for sure.

GROUNDHOG
23rd Jan 2020, 17:29
I would happily fly NQY/DUB/YVR if such a service existed but would not fly NQY/AMS/YVR simply because flying east to fly west makes no sense at all. Easier as I always do to just drive to LHR.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 23:14
I would happily fly NQY/DUB/YVR if such a service existed but would not fly NQY/AMS/YVR simply because flying east to fly west makes no sense at all. Easier as I always do to just drive to LHR.
As someone who uses AMS with KLM to fly to the USA I find it just as easy to use that as making the 2 and a half hours drive to Heathrow or having a long layover in Dublin.

cornishsimon
24th Jan 2020, 00:48
As I previously suggested from
the press release from flybe. Manchester does go x3 daily Monday - Friday with the additional rotation seemingly operating ex Manchester.

cs

Asturias56
24th Jan 2020, 07:27
As someone who uses AMS with KLM to fly to the USA I find it just as easy to use that as making the 2 and a half hours drive to Heathrow or having a long layover in Dublin.
but if you go via Dublin you pass US immigration there - a major saving in hassle................

PDXCWL45
24th Jan 2020, 15:35
but if you go via Dublin you pass US immigration there - a major saving in hassle................
Not in my experience. I've used Dublin pre clearance once and found it just hassle. Had to wait till I could go through, then did another security check and then a big queue to get through. My experience of going via Amsterdam was much better.

Asturias56
25th Jan 2020, 07:36
Lat time it took us as a family 90 seconds...................

PDXCWL45
25th Jan 2020, 07:55
Lat time it took us as a family 90 seconds...................
Well it didn't for me. More like 90 minutes!

Asturias56
25th Jan 2020, 07:58
Interesting - when we got downstairs all the booths were manned but there wass no-one waiting - and that was about 45 minutes before departure to MIA...............

PDXCWL45
25th Jan 2020, 08:59
Interesting - when we got downstairs all the booths were manned but there wass no-one waiting - and that was about 45 minutes before departure to MIA...............
Guess you hit it at the right time! Was rammed for me when I was there. The 90 minutes was an exaggeration I'll be honest. Probably took about an hour to get through the security and immigration. Usually takes about 30 minutes from exiting the aircraft to getting landside after my flight from Amsterdam at Portland with Delta. The experience really put me off using it not to mention that it's a longer journey time for me as well.

TartinTon
25th Jan 2020, 17:23

So you'd drive 4-5 hours to LHR (which is east, by the way) but not fly 1.5 hours....I'm sure there's logic there somewhere.....

Asturias56
26th Jan 2020, 06:22
ahhh - if you were going through MIA or JFk rather than Portland then you'd see the time savings........................

PDXCWL45
26th Jan 2020, 06:37
ahhh - if you were going through MIA or JFk rather than Portland then you'd see the time savings........................
Not been through them but I have been through SFO, LAX and SEA and never had any major delays.

Asturias56
26th Jan 2020, 08:29
Ahh - joys to come!

You have to allow 2 hours at JFK or MIA - best to avoid if at all possible - it can take less but that's not they way to bet. Smaller US airports are undoubtedly better and friendly -. the welcome at JFK can be worse than Sheremetyevo.................

TCAS FAN
26th Jan 2020, 08:40
Ahh - joys to come!

You have to allow 2 hours at JFK or MIA - best to avoid if at all possible - it can take less but that's not they way to bet. Smaller US airports are undoubtedly better and friendly -. the welcome at JFK can be worse than Sheremetyevo.................

Try the self service immigration/customs machines at JFK & MIA, work for me every time, through in 35 minutes last time I flew into MIA.

Asturias56
26th Jan 2020, 18:14
Never seen one............... or if I did I assumed you had to be registered to use them................

cornishsimon
6th Feb 2020, 08:49
https://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news-by-industry/appointments/2019/11/titterington-quits-as-airport-md/

MD has left/leaving NQY this week. Destination BHX

cs

VHF4
6th Feb 2020, 09:16
Hear a couple of ex Cook 330 heading your way.

toon22
12th Feb 2020, 08:23
BA have announced 5 weekly LHR NQY commencing July!

LBIA
12th Feb 2020, 08:24
British Airways are set to announce 5x weekly (Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat & Sun) 3 month summer seasonal Newquay to London Heathrow route. Flights will start July 2nd and run until September 7th 2020 with return fares from £90.

http://travelweekly.co.uk/articles/357927/ba-steps-in-to-replace-flybe-newquay-heathrow-link

aurigny72
12th Feb 2020, 08:26
BA starting flights LHR-NQY July-Sept 5 days a week.

SealinkBF
12th Feb 2020, 09:30
Quite a predatory move.

Alteagod
12th Feb 2020, 10:13
Possibly start of dirty war with BE on domestic routes

PDXCWL45
12th Feb 2020, 10:18
I think they'll have to do more than just 2 months on Newquay!

Wycombe
12th Feb 2020, 10:24

I don't really think so. If they were launching multi-daily from LGW then I would agree.
This just gives another (welcome) option for flights to/from Cornwall during the busy Summer season and of course the connectivity options

Having said that I've not seen the timings for the new LHR flights - they don't appear to be loaded on ba.com (or skyscanner) yet?

Albert Hall
12th Feb 2020, 10:25
I see this as a rather neat way of demonstrating to the Government that BA can step into such markets and could/would do so in a more meaningful way if Flybe were not to exist.

ETOPS
12th Feb 2020, 10:54
Here's the schedule....
British Airways’ schedule will be more leisure-oriented than Flybe’s four-times daily service, with flights on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from July 2 to September 7, operated by an Airbus A319.
Day Sector Departure Arrival Sector Departure Arrival Monday & Friday LHR-NQY (BA1350) 1805 1915 NQY-LHR (BA1351) 2015 2125 Thursday LHR-NQY (BA1350) 0700 0810 NQY-LHR (BA1351) 0910 1020 Saturday LHR-NQY (BA1350) 0640 0750 NQY-LHR (BA1351) 0955 1105 Sunday LHR-NQY (BA1350) 1910 2020 NQY-LHR (BA1351) 2125 2235BA previously served Newquay from Gatwick (https://www.businesstraveller.com/news/2007/02/07/ba-to-serve-newquay/), but cut the route after only a year in 2008.

Aksai Oiler
12th Feb 2020, 11:23
Great to see BA restarting new destinations within the UK, regardless of it being just a couple of months.

Maybe we could see BLK and WIC now have a chance? :\

GROUNDHOG
12th Feb 2020, 11:51
Good news indeed and hope it is a great success.
Personally doesn't help a lot as our regular flight to YVR from LHR departs at 1710, so however you look at it a long wait at LHR, Possibly more usable on the way back though. That said the big advantage is no luggage to hump around at LHR and perhaps some decent connecting fares so that wait enjoying the galleries lounge may be worth it after all.

SWBKCB
12th Feb 2020, 12:03
I see this as a rather neat way of demonstrating to the Government that BA can step into such markets and could/would do so in a more meaningful way if Flybe were not to exist.

In see it as cynical PR/slot sitting exercise...

AirportPlanner1
12th Feb 2020, 13:03

Utter bollocks. Had BA already done so the PSO to NQY wouldn’t have existed or been needed, likewise they’d already have a network including Teeside, Derry, Exeter and others. I keenly await the launch of BA’s new routes from Southampton to Manchester, Scotland.

Startledgrapefruit
12th Feb 2020, 15:08
Utter bollocks. Had BA already done so the PSO to NQY wouldn’t have existed or been needed, likewise they’d already have a network including Teeside, Derry, Exeter and others. I keenly await the launch of BA’s new routes from Southampton to Manchester, Scotland.
Maybe BA could step in and create their own regional airline
The could call it BA Connect or BAcon.

Asturias56
12th Feb 2020, 15:16
You can't really expect prime time operations on a flight that probably is being run for "political" reasons

And it's not really competitive with the train for an awful lot of journeys

brian_dromey
12th Feb 2020, 15:34
You can't really expect prime time operations on a flight that probably is being run for "political" reasons

And it's not really competitive with the train for an awful lot of journeys

But it does allow a full Friday of work in London and as much of the day as possible in Cornwall on a Monday. No train option allows that - unless you take the sleeper. The timings will suit some for certain purposes and not others.

Wycombe
12th Feb 2020, 15:48
Well it's getting publicity, but not necessarily good according to Mr Calder (https://www.bbc.com/news/live/business-51418696?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e%26BA%27s%20Newquay%20fl ights%20more%20expensive%20than%20flying%20to%20Hong%20Kong% 262020-02-12T16%3A30%3A17.149Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:9453ac7c-f3d2-4fba-b0ff-fc395f1c036c&pinned_post_asset_id=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e&pinned_post_type=share) who says "BA's Newquay flights are more expensive than flying to Hong Kong"

One suspects that this is because he and a hoard of aviation vloggers/enthusiasts have already filled the first flight prompting high demand-led pricing
...unlike flights to Honkers currently.

PDXCWL45
12th Feb 2020, 16:09
Well it's getting publicity, but not necessarily good according to Mr Calder (https://www.bbc.com/news/live/business-51418696?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e%26BA%27s%20Newquay%20fl ights%20more%20expensive%20than%20flying%20to%20Hong%20Kong% 262020-02-12T16%3A30%3A17.149Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:9453ac7c-f3d2-4fba-b0ff-fc395f1c036c&pinned_post_asset_id=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e&pinned_post_type=share) who says "BA's Newquay flights are more expensive than flying to Hong Kong"

One suspects that this is because he and a hoard of aviation vloggers/enthusiasts have already filled the first flight prompting high demand-led pricing
...unlike flights to Honkers currently.
The BA app had it at £60 one way. My suspicion is that he's gone to book a day return and his return is via Dublin and that comes up at £188 one way I believe.
I'd also have thought that flights to Hong Kong are incredibly cheap right now because of the virus and instability in Hong Kong.

GROUNDHOG
12th Feb 2020, 18:14
Do not be misled by the great Mr Calder, not sure where his numbers came from but I just checked the same dates and the return was around £130, remarkably similar to Flybe to LGW on the same dates and £100 less than it costs to fly 30 minutes to the Isles of Scilly. Certainly not £640.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story though!