PDA

View Full Version : Newquay

Pages : 1 [2]

rog747
13th Feb 2020, 04:41
The BA LHR-NQY flights connect nicely with St Mary's on some days...Hope they get an agreement with ISC Skybus to interline the bags lol

Asturias56
13th Feb 2020, 07:52
According to Mr Calder (https://www.bbc.com/news/live/business-51418696?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e%26BA%27s%20Newquay%20fl ights%20more%20expensive%20than%20flying%20to%20Hong%20Kong% 262020-02-12T16%3A30%3A17.149Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:9453ac7c-f3d2-4fba-b0ff-fc395f1c036c&pinned_post_asset_id=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e&pinned_post_type=share) who says "BA's Newquay flights are more expensive than flying to Hong Kong"

Tha'ts not news - a couple of years back a return LHR - ABZ was over £ 600 if you wanted any flexibility......... they charge whatever the market will bear

GROUNDHOG
13th Feb 2020, 08:40
According to Mr Calder (https://www.bbc.com/news/live/business-51418696?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e%26BA%27s%20Newquay%20fl ights%20more%20expensive%20than%20flying%20to%20Hong%20Kong% 262020-02-12T16%3A30%3A17.149Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:9453ac7c-f3d2-4fba-b0ff-fc395f1c036c&pinned_post_asset_id=5e4425f8dca6c8066956d50e&pinned_post_type=share) who says "BA's Newquay flights are more expensive than flying to Hong Kong"

Tha'ts not news - a couple of years back a return LHR - ABZ was over £ 600 if you wanted any flexibility......... they charge whatever the market will bear

No it is not news it is what Donald would call fake news. As I have posted above, check the same dates yourself and the fare is £130. This kind of journalism annoys me intensely.

Aero Mad
13th Feb 2020, 10:28
I'm afraid that it's not fake news. When BA released the flights yesterday, for several hours they were only available at £320 each way. The schedule then disappeared again and has now been uploaded with lower fares available.

GROUNDHOG
13th Feb 2020, 15:26
I'm afraid that it's not fake news. When BA released the flights yesterday, for several hours they were only available at £320 each way. The schedule then disappeared again and has now been uploaded with lower fares available.
Oh good so Simon will now put out a release saying BA have reduced the fares... If not his article is simply incorrect or at least incomplete.
Somehow I don't see that happening do you.

Wycombe
13th Feb 2020, 15:34
Oh good so Simon will now put out a release saying BA have reduced the fares... If not his article is simply incorrect or at least incomplete.
Somehow I don't see that happening do you.

Nope, it was purely an attention grabber (for those that didn't realise that my notification yesterday was a tad tongue-in-cheek!)

A BA link from LHR to NQY is of course good news, no matter how brief and irregular the schedule is.

TartinTon
13th Feb 2020, 16:43
When a BA schedule goes live it initially defaults to the highest fare until their Revenue Management system kicks in and optimises the distribution of fares. This is in common with quite a few airlines.

VickersVicount
13th Feb 2020, 18:13
So what are the betting odds on another one hit wonder short season?

ajamieson
14th Feb 2020, 10:00
Absolutely. As it is, it's barely 50 flights in total across the summer peak, at fairly eccentric times. It will be of extremely very limited use for regional connectivity at the NQY end. It will also have the effect of lowering yield on the PSO route, thus presumably increasing the taxpayer liability on that.

It also means that, for a few days this year, NQY will have hub connections to LHR, LGW, DUB, MAN and AMS. Strange world!

Wycombe
14th Feb 2020, 10:20
It also means that, for a few days this year, NQY will have hub connections to LHR, LGW, DUB, MAN and AMS. Strange world!

Not forgetting CPH, EDI, GLA and DUS! (accepting that "hub" may be stretching things for a few of those)

cornishsimon
14th Feb 2020, 10:48
im curious how having BA on LHR is going to screw up the flybe PSO London route when they themselves are operating a daily SEN on top of the LGWx4 daily

This has been on the cards for a while

I suspect this is just IAGs way of dipping a toe, they can already to an extent see connectivity demand thanks to EI so if they will the flights at decent yield im sure it will return for longer next season, it also wouldn't surprise me to see a limited LCY from them

cs

Asturias56
14th Feb 2020, 10:49
"So what are the betting odds on another one hit wonder short season?"

pray the railway line at Dawlish is washed away again in one of these storms...................

rog747
15th Feb 2020, 06:25
"So what are the betting odds on another one hit wonder short season?"

pray the railway line at Dawlish is washed away again in one of these storms...................

The rail line was washed away 6 years ago today.....cutting off Plymouth and Cornwall for months

Today we have Storm Dennis :yuk:

VickersVicount
15th Feb 2020, 09:42
it also wouldn't surprise me to see a limited LCY from them
I would surprise me.

cornishsimon
15th Feb 2020, 10:18
I would surprise me.

more or less surprised than them launching This limited lhr service. ?

cs

Asturias56
15th Feb 2020, 11:46
Politics............................ "connecting the regions" - and maybe they'll be able to tap a FLYBE subsidy if they're lucky

VickersVicount
15th Feb 2020, 16:00
more or less surprised than them launching This limited lhr service. ?

cs
I would be even more surprised

cornishsimon
15th Feb 2020, 16:44
I would be even more surprised

well let’s watch and wait

I think there’s definitely scope for a cheeky Thursday, Friday, Monday summer service if well timed.

cs

bravoromeosierra
16th Feb 2020, 12:33
well let’s watch and wait

I think there’s definitely scope for a cheeky Thursday, Friday, Monday summer service if well timed.

cs

Think it would be better for NQY if they focused on maturing the LHR route in the hope of a better (or all round) flying season.

davidjohnson6
26th Mar 2020, 10:58
Airport closed

EGTE
26th Mar 2020, 11:30
.....but the aerodrome is still open.

cornishsimon
26th Mar 2020, 12:30
.....but the aerodrome is still open.

correct.

the terminal is closed. The field is open for business and I suspect will soon get a great deal of storage movements

cs

BAeuro
23rd Apr 2020, 23:30
I know Covid-19 has put an end to many plans, but does anyone know what’s going to happen to the London to Newquay PSO? Will BA up their new route and try it out, or is this another one for Loganair?

cornishsimon
24th Apr 2020, 09:39
My current thinking is that this is probably BAs to loose

They are going to have aircraft, crews and slots that need using and if they can use them to newquay while the economy recovers and the demand for air travel recovers all the better, especially if it’s underwritten via a pso ?

cs

bean
24th Apr 2020, 11:11
CS It's not going to happen. The world has changed for good. Home working will continue even if the viris is eradicated and with the low levels of people currently testing positive for antinodies, it could continue for years.
BA will be looking to shed capacity not use it. Expect to see a much slimmer airline with consequent redundancies amongst staff and equipment. The world is already in DEEP recession

Cloud1
25th Apr 2020, 08:49
CS It's not going to happen. The world has changed for good. Home working will continue even if the viris is eradicated and with the low levels of people currently testing positive for antinodies, it could continue for years.
BA will be looking to shed capacity not use it. Expect to see a much slimmer airline with consequent redundancies amongst staff and equipment. The world is already in DEEP recession

Another cheery post. Whilst some or all of this may be true I’m not sure I would agree that the world has changed for good thus meaning everything that we did know a couple months back will not now be required in the future.

From my perspective CS the answer is we don’t know. I do believe there will be a need for regional travel and connectivity but what that looks like, we will only know once markets and industries stabilise. Timescales will, in my view, depend largely on the antibody testing and vaccine availability as they are the only options currently on the table which would, again in my view, give customers confidence to go back to smaller confined spaces. The nonsense around keeping a middle seat free on aircraft doesn’t cut it.

Government response to any recession will be interesting too. They will want people to be spending in to the economy so staycations could very well work in Cornwalls favour for what is left of this summer and next. Fuel has typically been one of the larger costs to aviation but that’s at an all time low now, plus some restructuring to a market which could naturally thin out anyway (we don’t know which airlines will last the next 12 months).

From my perspective the question sits more around long haul. The likes of BA have a lot of aircraft with cabins which they may struggle to fill (First, Club) some of them with significant volumes of those premium seats which come at premium costs. Difficulties in selling those will push the cost of economy seats up. If the government still sees regional PSO routes a need, then BA may well benefit from operating those or expanding the CityFlyer portfolio to cover more regional flying.

Asturias56
26th Apr 2020, 07:30
" so staycations could very well work in Cornwalls favour for what is left of this summer and next. "

I think a few people might remember the non-friendly attitude of some Cornish people to outsiders during this shut-down................

Willo 3D
26th Apr 2020, 10:38
" so staycations could very well work in Cornwalls favour for what is left of this summer and next. "

I think a few people might remember the non-friendly attitude of some Cornish people to outsiders during this shut-down................

that was largely self inflicted by people going to second homes unnecessarily.

Either way, I’m not sure there will be demand for A319 2 or 3 times a day between NQY and London. Maybe as mentioned above could be good suit for BACF.

BirdmanBerry
26th Apr 2020, 10:44

I don't think home working will continue, it's never as good as having a team together in an office. Plus add the fact the technology has been available for years but has never been used as much as it could've. Long distance meetings may change for sure.

Curious Pax
26th Apr 2020, 10:45

You might want to look at the p1ss poor medical facilities available in Cornwall for the locals, let alone any extra numbers visitors would bring before shooting your mouth off.

esscee
26th Apr 2020, 11:49
Maybe some of the affluent 2nd/3rd home owners ought to be legally forced to provide extra funding for the local facilities as part of their purchase, just a thought?

GROUNDHOG
26th Apr 2020, 14:57

Can only assume you refer to the request to stay away and not visit second homes, or, fourth homes in Cornwall if you are a famous chef and doing it anyway. It is not a matter of being unfriendly it is a matter of the minority as ever being stupid in their behaviour. Last night Devon and Cornwall police arrested two people who had travelled from Kent for a "short break" and slept in their car in Falmouth, Crazy behaviour, driver had no insurance and no licence, car was seized. Point is everyone is welcome but right now we could not possibly offer the facility to look after additional visitors, the one main hospital here is already stretched to its limits. Once this is all over please come back in your droves, most of the population here rely on tourism and right now everyone is suffering badly as business is dead.

With regard to visitors in "normal" times whatever they will be, I am not so sure their will be a greater percentage fly here for a break, the vast majority will still drive, so air traffic may not be not be that different, but who knows what will happen! Although personally a link to Heathrow is better for me I have also felt Gatwick is far more beneficial because of the extra driving time. What would be good though is greater frequency with smaller units, how about an airline, you could call it air southwest or something like that.

Predictions at this stage are impossible with any accuracy!

Wycombe
26th Apr 2020, 16:32
I don't think home working will continue, it's never as good as having a team together in an office.

Whilst I will concede that it is does depend what type of business you're referring to, in general that is an outdated view, and the current situation and how we adjust to the "new normal" afterwards will prove it as such.

TartinTon
26th Apr 2020, 17:44
Maybe some of the affluent 2nd/3rd home owners ought to be legally forced to provide extra funding for the local facilities as part of their purchase, just a thought?

What's the rules on council tax? Do they pay a reduced rate or nothing at all? I know when I've rented part-week as part of working around the country I've ended up paying 2 x council tax.

LGS6753
26th Apr 2020, 19:46
AFAIK Second home owners pay full Council Tax, just like local residents.

TartinTon
26th Apr 2020, 20:08
So the "locals" are quite happy for the 2nd home owners to subsidise their local services but only when it suits them? The people buying second "holiday" homes, a lot of them will have bought with a view to retiring there in due course.
A bit of neck winding-in sounds in order.

inOban
26th Apr 2020, 20:19
And it's all these elderly retirees who are the drain on the Council as they become frail and need social care. (And I'm 75)

rog747
27th Apr 2020, 07:31
Back on track with a Newquay thread -
The Southwest is in a more positive position for any new-normal connectivity to start flights again, and including the PSO, also possibly
seek to receive more Govt Aid in due course.

BA is the only airline at the moment to be able to restart the London route when it is able to do so.
If SD measures are needed on an aircraft then a A319 is big enough to still carry a decent pax load (and freight maybe>?)

LHR is not the only route that NQY needs, but MAN and EDI are all prime connections, plus likely Glasgow & Belfast too.

The GWR Night Sleeper train service (which is part Govt funded) has been suspended but it will start up again once a new-normal is defined.
In fact SD has a solution on that mode of travel as the twin berth sleeper cabins can all be made single/solo berth.

Rail Travel from the far Southwest had a reasonable service with brand new GWR trains, but a journey from anywhere west of Plymouth, and you were looking at a 4 to 5 hour scenic train journey to Paddington - Half a day...

National Express coaches are all suspended at the moment, UFN.

Cloud1
27th Apr 2020, 20:46

hmm fortunately most people don’t, I believe, view it in the way you do. Those people are following the rules so not getting themselves caught up with being asked to p**s off from the Southwest when they are not meant to be out travelling anyway. People will likely be going for the most affordable means of a holiday or break away from home where they have been cooped up for weeks. Depending where in the U.K. you live flying could still be affordable.

Asturias56
28th Apr 2020, 08:04
Some of the language has been inflammatory and people have been abused in the streets etc - Cornwall needs every friend it can get - now the UK is out of the EU all that EU money that's been spent down there will disappear pretty fast..........

rog747
28th Apr 2020, 09:38
Some of the language has been inflammatory and people have been abused in the streets etc - Cornwall needs every friend it can get - now the UK is out of the EU all that EU money that's been spent down there will disappear pretty fast..........

All UK County's that have a large leisure industry have all put up ''do not come here'' signs, and local and HM Govt's fully endorse this -

Cornwall is not the exception, it and others will be fine once we can all reopen to a new normal - - and it is taken as noted by most sensible folk here in the UK that we will have have to wait until our favourite holiday places can reopen for business. I am in Dorset, so whilst we do not want any day trippers or 2nd homers coming here for now we do know folk will return.

28th Apr 2020, 14:34

Completely agree. I live in Cornwall, and whilst a bit of second home bashing banter is always good sport for the locals, recently it has gone way too far. Cornwall absolutely needs every possible friend it can get, and the way some absolutely ignorant people have been behaving and spouting off lately leaves me worried for the state of humanity. Two examples, one extreme and one not so.
1) two seperate people who are Cornish locals, who have jobs etc but cannot afford house / flat etc, live in Motorhomes, and have done so for last two years or so. They have recently received death threats and threats of arson against their vehicles. Thankfully story made local press and Police have taken in their defence which seems to have stopped the actions of the ignorant.
2) Gordon Ramsey. Granted your either love him or hate him, but he was berated by locals and the press for a 25 mile bike ride the other day. Oh wow. I did the same to, as it seems are loads of others I know going by what they post on Strava etc, and all who are Cornish locals, any locals bashing them? Nope.
I'm afraid it examples like the above that make me ashamed to be Cornish at times, there are a lot of people down here who need to get a grip of reality and have words with themselves if they want Cornwall to do well on the otherwise of Covid-19.

BAeuro
30th Apr 2020, 18:01
I’m hearing that EI have dropped their Newquay to Dublin service. Another blow for the airport sadly.

cornishsimon
30th Apr 2020, 20:23
Dropped as in never to return rather than the current suspension ?

cs

BA318
30th Apr 2020, 20:42
My understanding was that it’s Cork-Newquay that’s been permanently dropped. Aer Lingus have also dropped the Cityjet deal and will end LCY.

cornishsimon
30th Apr 2020, 21:17
Yeh I would be surprised to see dub end. My understanding is that it carries lots of connections, obviously not currently but when things pick up again it’ll be the only one stop connection to the US jntkl
a pso to London happens.

cs

BAeuro
30th Apr 2020, 21:43
Ah yes I’ve just seen it’s ORK-NQY which is ending. Apologies.

Also, Eurowings have dropped Stuttgart to Newquay.

cornishsimon
30th Apr 2020, 22:36
I’m not actually concerned.

These are one or few times a week peak season seasonal routes. They will return when demand returns but April/May-aug/sept isn’t going to be any point running this year

next year will be different I hope

cs

compton3bravo
1st May 2020, 10:26
I admire your optimism cornishman.

Wycombe
12th May 2020, 08:49
FR24 showing the "NHS" ex-Virgin A346 9H-EAL arriving a few minutes ago, followed by an Alitalia A321 I-BIXR.

The 321 is aged 23 apparently so perhaps arriving to meet the cutters torch?

cornishsimon
12th May 2020, 10:39
The 340 seems to of positioned straight to CWL

cs

sealo0
12th May 2020, 11:12
seems as if they did not like Wales have left.

Martin the Martian
12th May 2020, 15:48
He's been bouncing back and forth between Cardiff and Newquay all day.

yeo valley
13th May 2020, 04:15
crew training.

cornishsimon
18th May 2020, 16:48
https://cornishstuff.com/2020/05/18/cornwall-airport-newquay-sets-reopening-date/

airfield due to reopen to passenger flights from 1st July.

cs

BA318
20th May 2020, 11:02
Some mildly good news at least:

https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1263055411252465664?s=21

AirportPlanner1
20th May 2020, 14:06
Is that good news? I mean, it’s better than nothing, but would a double daily not have been better for Cornwall even if it was to another airport? I’m sure Eastern and Logan to name two would have bitten the Government’s arm off right now for the chance. And how was this tendered?

GROUNDHOG
20th May 2020, 20:10
Setting London aside the good news with a couple of those routes is they wont have to worry about social distancing on board if they start in June..

SWBKCB
21st May 2020, 05:53
Is that good news? I mean, it’s better than nothing, but would a double daily not have been better for Cornwall even if it was to another airport? I’m sure Eastern and Logan to name two would have bitten the Government’s arm off right now for the chance. And how was this tendered?

Would the PSO be generous enough to support the cost of a new base?

EI-BUD
22nd May 2020, 07:41
Some mildly good news at least:

https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1263055411252465664?s=21
This is great news in the current climate and great for Cornwall to have the British Airways brand coming year round. Things will pick up and a chance I'm sure to double up on certain days.

​​​​​​

cornishsimon
5th Jun 2020, 08:42
Well I’m happy to admit I didn’t see this coming !

newquay to Teeside starts early July with eastern. Starting x2 weekly increasing to x3

Nqy have a short memory with eastern !

cs

cornishsimon
5th Jun 2020, 10:48
Wow. Dummy booking says it’s a J41 !!

cs

Asturias56
5th Jun 2020, 17:48
Is Cornwall keen on visitors again - they were bloody unfriendly 3 months ago...............

LBIA
5th Jun 2020, 18:17
Looks like Eastern Airways now taking on the ex flybe route from Newquay - Leeds/Bradford. Flights have just gone on sale commencing from July 9th 2020 operating 5x weekly MON-FRI using BAe Jetstream 41.

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1268957391690891268?s=20

cornishsimon
5th Jun 2020, 18:40
Finding a use for the J41 !

glad the route is back but shocked via J41 in all honesty. That route was always well utilized when flown on the dash

cs

cornishsimon
5th Jun 2020, 18:51
I’m a bit confused by this announcement.

LBA-NQY was subsidized under flybe wasn’t it ? European regional route fund or something ?

Had that already terminated when flybe went bust or is this a resumption of this and likely to be year round not seasonal ?

equally. Where’s the aircraft coming from ? Is this downtime from the LBA-SOU route or could it spell more expansion at LBA ?

cs

GayFriendly
5th Jun 2020, 22:11
Good news.....until they reveal the fares....Eastern are not renowned for low fares which will probably put a lot of prospective pax off.

virginblue
5th Jun 2020, 23:08
Well, if they can attract the least price sensitive 30 per cent passengers who flew on a BE Q400 in the past, they will have an almost full Jetstream 41.

SWBKCB
6th Jun 2020, 06:21
Good news.....until they reveal the fares....Eastern are not renowned for low fares which will probably put a lot of prospective pax off.

Prices for the first couple of weeks start at about £160 return (waits for gasps of shock and horror....:eek:)

BKS Air Transport
6th Jun 2020, 08:24
Even under normal circumstances train fares are rarely cheap Leeds - Newquay.

A quick check for early July shows £160 return to be a positive bargain, and as viginblue says, they don't need many takers to fill a J41.

cornishsimon
6th Jun 2020, 08:34
Even under normal circumstances train fares are rarely cheap Leeds - Newquay.

A quick check for early July shows £160 return to be a positive bargain, and as viginblue says, they don't need many takers to fill a J41.

160 return including a bag is decent.

trains are long and expensive.

last year I needed to fly back on a day BE weren’t flying and found it half the price of the train to fly LBA-DUB-NQY and I found myself sat at home with my kids four hours earlier than had I taken the train

cs

Asturias56
6th Jun 2020, 08:35
problem will be reliability TBH

Cloud1
6th Jun 2020, 12:19
NQY airport LinkedIn page reporting Eastern doing NQY-Teeside. Is that in addition to LBA?

SWBKCB
6th Jun 2020, 12:21
Yes - see post 311 above.

highwideandugly
6th Jun 2020, 12:50
Wonder which will be the bigger problem..aircraft serviceability,operational status of airline,COVID-19 restrictions...or a general lack of passengers?

Whichever..a route now fraught with danger I suspect? Worryingly..it won’t be the only one.☹️

SeanM1997
6th Jun 2020, 13:47
NQY airport LinkedIn page reporting Eastern doing NQY-Teeside. Is that in addition to LBA? Teesside - Newquay - 2x weekly - 6 July - 18 September
Leeds/Bradford - Newquay - 5x weekly - 9 July - 18 September

More @SeanM1997 on twitter

Atlantic Explorer
7th Jun 2020, 06:59
160 return including a bag is decent.

trains are long and expensive.

last year I needed to fly back on a day BE weren’t flying and found it half the price of the train to fly LBA-DUB-NQY and I found myself sat at home with my kids four hours earlier than had I taken the train

cs

My bold.

That was one of the main issues of BE and one of the reasons they couldn’t make money. It’s simply not sustainable to be charging low fares on these domestic routes if they’ve any chance of survival, however, charge too much and you also kill the route. It’s a fine line.

AirportPlanner1
7th Jun 2020, 08:02
My bold.

That was one of the main issues of BE and one of the reasons they couldn’t make money.

That route would have been Aer Lingus, no? Or a self-connect via Ryanair.

cornishsimon
7th Jun 2020, 08:54
That route would have been Aer Lingus, no? Or a self-connect via Ryanair.

correct. Corporate TA booked EI LBA-DUB-NQY. Total flight time less than four hours and half the price of the train and half the time

the flights weren’t cheap but the train was stupidly expensive and long

cs

GayFriendly
8th Jun 2020, 16:45
£160 return is a very decent fare for LBA-NQY, no gasps of shock or horror from me! I was thinking this would be the figure one way going on prices I have paid with Eastern in the past on other routes. I'm sure at these levels they will do well given that the train takes just over an hour to reach Par and the main line by which time you'd nearly be landing in Leeds!

GROUNDHOG
9th Jun 2020, 08:31
Is Cornwall keen on visitors again - they were bloody unfriendly 3 months ago...............

No not bloody unfriendly simply being practical.
We would love to see tourists back, businesses here are going under daily because of this outbreak, you have to be practical though. Everything is shut, pubs, restaurants, entertainment, toilets, car parks, rubbish bin collection so when droves of people arrive to enjoy the beaches the inevitable happens, garbage everywhere, cars blocking vital access roads and even people cr*pping and dumping soiled nappies etc in areas where children will be playing. We cannot live with that, if everyone acted responsibly it would be different.
So sorry Asturias we are NOT being unfriendly and are hoping to be open for business again soon.

toon22
9th Jun 2020, 10:00
No not bloody unfriendly simply being practical.
We would love to see tourists back, businesses here are going under daily because of this outbreak, you have to be practical though. Everything is shut, pubs, restaurants, entertainment, toilets, car parks, rubbish bin collection so when droves of people arrive to enjoy the beaches the inevitable happens, garbage everywhere, cars blocking vital access roads and even people cr*pping and dumping soiled nappies etc in areas where children will be playing. We cannot live with that, if everyone acted responsibly it would be different.
So sorry Asturias we are NOT being unfriendly and are hoping to be open for business again soon.
Might I suggest that some of the antisocial behaviour you refer to might just be committed by Cornish people? Apart from a very few second home owners, there are small numbers of visitors to Cornwall and posts like this only reinforce the perception that no welcome awaits people when they choose to come back. Like it or not, Cornwall has developed a reputation for being the least friendly part of the UK during this crisis and I for one believe it will take quite some time for memories to fade. Sorry.

BACsuperVC10
9th Jun 2020, 10:07
My mum used Flybe LPL-NQY service to visit friends in Cambourne which was ideal for her. Looks like it will be the train next time she plans to go until the air route is taken up again.

Cloud1
9th Jun 2020, 12:48
This business of Cornwall being unfriendly simply because they said they didn’t want people visiting during the pandemic is nonsense. If we look at those who drove down to the Southwest, Police were regularly stopping cars and issuing fines. If overly sensitive people are offended that the county basically told people to p**s off whilst the country was on lockdown then that’s tough.

Despite the noise, additional pollution, waste, pockets of unsocial behaviour, additional traffic and occasional disregard for the environment the people of the Southwest typically understand the economic benefit that tourism brings and are generally welcoming. More so than I would probably be.

Asturias56
9th Jun 2020, 17:35
"Despite the noise, additional pollution, waste, pockets of unsocial behaviour, additional traffic and occasional disregard for the environment the people of the Southwest typically understand the economic benefit that tourism brings "

Its a good job because there's nothing else there to bring in any cash - and with the EU money disappearing................... it'll be back to the '50's and '60's everyone young leaves and heads for the bright lights and the population gets older, poorer and sicker

inOban
9th Jun 2020, 18:18
I thought that the young still had to leave because the low wages in the hospitality sector coupled with the high house prices generated by the 'escape to the country/seaside' brigade made living in the SW unaffordable.

Asturias56
10th Jun 2020, 16:50
Well locals complain in places like Newquay but who sells the houses to the incomers in the first place???

Look at penryhn since the Uni moved there - woken from a sleep of a thousands years as everyone sells up

cornishsimon
10th Jun 2020, 17:08
Pen where 😂

cs

cornishsimon
3rd Jul 2020, 16:17
Some good news.

BA have uploaded schedules for a year round once daily service to heathrow.

fingers crossed that the frequency can be improved upon as and when things start to pick up

cs

Asturias56
3rd Jul 2020, 17:22
I hear the ferries are running in the Fal starting tomorrow as well - much more useful!

Kiltrash
3rd Jul 2020, 18:19
We are on holiday in St Ives at the end of August. I see the Newquay Heritage Centre is currently closed. Anyone in the know have they any plans to re open in time.?
last there 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed, with well behaved dog on lead, and the chap at the VC 10 looked after pooch while I had a good nose round....

highwideandugly
3rd Jul 2020, 18:36
A joke..right?

Tie the dog outside

Kiltrash
3rd Jul 2020, 19:12
Nope very friendly volunteer, same with the Harrier man, looked after woofer while I slipped my fit slim body into the cockpit....

highwideandugly
3rd Jul 2020, 19:56
Bloody COVID eh! Messes everything up!

Whispering Giant
3rd Jul 2020, 20:07
The Cornwall Aviation Heritage museum opens again from Sunday the 5th July.

best regards

W.G

toon22
12th Jul 2020, 20:52
[QUOTE=SeanM1997.;10803899]Teesside - Newquay - 2x weekly - 6 July - 18 September
Leeds/Bradford - Newquay - 5x weekly - 9 July - 18

Both Leeds/Bradford and Teesside now operating year round. Frequencies as now.With BA to Heathrow plus (hopefully) E I to Dublin this winter that leaves Manchester as the biggest gap in the network.

SeanM1997
8th Sep 2020, 19:43
Loganair launching Edinburgh-Newquay from 28 March 2021 - initally 4x weekly flights before increasing to 5x weekly flights from 22 May 2021
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1303335792052441088

Loganair launching Aberdeen-Newcastle-Newquay from 29 March 2021 - initially 2x weekly flights before increasing to 3x weekly flights from 30 June 2021. Saturday and Sunday rotations NCL-NQY-NCL will be added (no ABZ tag) from 22 May 2021
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1303314753566240769

Loganair launching Glasgow-Newquay from 30 March 2021 - 3x weekly flights
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1303314729893584896

Wycombe
9th Sep 2020, 16:14
Looks like todays Eastern flights from MME and LBA firstly got consolidated onto an MME-originating Saab, then diverted to EXT :rolleyes:

toon22
24th Sep 2020, 09:31
The August CAA stats show LHR NQY 4550 vs LHR NCL 4147 pax.Not good news, but less bad.603 pax to Teesside, busier than all Eastern’s routes from there.

Wycombe
24th Sep 2020, 09:49
I think LHR-NQY operated 5 weekly in August, so approx 20 round trips. That makes approx 225 pax per round trip, or an average of >100 on each sector. Doesn't seem too bad to me in the current climate?

I was in west Cornwall for the first 2 weeks of August and it was very busy. Notably fewer Germans than usual though!

SeanM1997
24th Sep 2020, 12:59
Loganair to launch a daily flight between Manchester and Newquay from 28 March 2021

SeanM1997
24th Sep 2020, 13:40
And just 2 hours later, Eastern Airways announce they are launching 4x weekly flights between Newquay and Manchester starting 23 October 2020

Cloud1
24th Sep 2020, 16:05
A bit of a shame that there couldn’t have been some collaboration to enable a day return across the two operators.

GayFriendly
24th Sep 2020, 16:14
Great news for NQY and not unexpected given the popularity of the BE route to MAN. Agree with previous post, it's a shame day trip opportunities are not available but perhaps that will come?

BHX must now be the only UK regional airport not to be re-connected back to NQY following the demise of BE? I know it was summer only but surely an ideal fit for Loganair? Loads were usually pretty good and it's at very best with zero traffic jams a 4 hour drive.....come on Loganair!

Albert Hall
24th Sep 2020, 18:29
A bit of a shame that there couldn’t have been some collaboration to enable a day return across the two operators

I thought they hated each other with a passion? Surely the prospect of co-operation is too much!

The score is about 6-1 in Loganair's favour in this grudge match (the only goal Eastern scored was Loganair off MME-ABZ) and so this isn't shaping up to be some Conference League-side upset in the FA Cup.

SeanM1997
24th Sep 2020, 18:41
The former Flybe routes which have been picked up:
Edinburgh - Loganair - 5x weekly
Glasgow - Loganair - 3x weekly
London Heathrow - British Airways - 7x weekly (temporary PSO until March)
Manchester - Loganair - 7x weekly
Manchester - Eastern Airways - 4x weekly
Newcastle - Loganair - 5x weekly (3x weekly extend to Aberdeen)

Flybe routes still unserved (with 2019 passenger numbers)
Birmingham - 20,882
London Southend - 15,721
Doncaster/Sheffield - 6,737
Belfast City - 3,442
Liverpool - 2,873

Compared to now served routes: London Heathrow (141,230), Manchester (81,762), Leeds/Bradford (17,672), Edinburgh (4,002), Glasgow (3,823), Newcastle (2,000), Aberdeen (631)

gkmeech
24th Sep 2020, 22:23
A bit of a shame that there couldn’t have been some collaboration to enable a day return across the two operators.
Think you missed something, Eastern start on Winter schedule, Loganair next summer. Eastern may change timings by rhen

flyerguy
25th Sep 2020, 08:59

At the end of the day their competitors... if you look at their new routes they go into direct competition with one another rather than ‘helping eachother out’

Cloud1
25th Sep 2020, 13:58
At the end of the day their competitors... if you look at their new routes they go into direct competition with one another rather than ‘helping eachother out’

Yes thank you very much, I am aware they are competitors. But, I wondered if there had been any discussion by the airport to suggest alternative timings. I assume NQY is not a coordinated airfield in terms of slots.

Of more value in terms of response to my post was that from gjmeech pointing out to me that the two airlines were starting their routes in different seasons. Let’s hope when we get to S21 and potentially see some business traffic pick up that there will be the option for a day return.

SealinkBF
26th Sep 2020, 07:31
I don't think that is allowed (officially). We can't even get two local bus companies to talk to avoid missed connections due to competition laws.

26th Sep 2020, 08:01
At a rough guess do the LHR flights that are covered by the PSO get the first consideration time wise, and then everything else? Or is it purely capacity and desire of the airlines?

Would terminal capacity and personnel to service these flights be an issue at NQY, especially if multiple flights are in the ground together, Skybus excluded.

Of interest there was an article in the local press yesterday whereby Cornwall Air Ambulance were saying they are losing lifesaving time with air traffic delays due to other helicopter activities at the airfield.

ETOPS
29th Sep 2020, 20:02
Just spotted this advert for a job at NQY...

https://uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/spaceport-cornwall-operations-manager-at-cornwall-airport-newquay-2151157506?refId=d6ebae80-7475-434b-9169-242c1bbaa11a&position=12&pageNum=0&trk=public_jobs_job-result-card_result-card_full-click

Cool if one of us could get this..............

Wycombe
1st Oct 2020, 06:53
Logan EMB145 noted departing to EDI at about 7.40 this morning, presumably a charter or training and not an early start of scheduled services!

Wycombe
3rd Oct 2020, 11:04
2 BA Airbii on the ground at NQY this morning - did last nights go u/s? (one on it's way back to LHR now on a BAW9xxx flight no.)

TOM100
3rd Oct 2020, 11:28
From The BA Source -Oct 2, 2020

British Airways A319 G-EUPY (http://www.thebasource.com/g-eupy.html) operated BA1350 London Heathrow – Newquay this evening, however the return BA1351 was cancelled due to a technical issue.

cornishsimon
3rd Oct 2020, 11:45
Last nights tech positioned to lhr this morning.

todays shuttle flight was upgraded to A320

Wycombe
3rd Oct 2020, 12:48
Aye, indeed. Also noticed yesterday was an Airbus (test reg) A350-900 that paid what I think was a brief visit.

ATNotts
4th Oct 2020, 09:06
I think "shuttle" is over-egging the pudding somewhat!!

Cloud1
4th Oct 2020, 09:42
Now this did make me laugh

Wycombe
4th Oct 2020, 09:43
I think "shuttle" is over-egging the pudding somewhat!!

They operate with "Shuttle" callsign and "SHT" flight no. as they are BA UK domestic flights.

ATNotts
4th Oct 2020, 10:44
They operate with "Shuttle" callsign and "SHT" flight no. as they are BA UK domestic flights.

I didn't realise that; I actually thought that "Shuttle" was nothing more than a marketing brand used for the LHR-GLA/EDI/ MAN and BFS service going back yonks.

esscee
4th Oct 2020, 11:26
I wondered if someone was having a bit of a laugh using "SHT" as a call sign, a bright spark commented "they have left out the I".

cornishsimon
4th Oct 2020, 11:54
Yep as mentioned up thread. All BA mainline domestic flying operate using SHT flight prefix

Martin the Martian
21st Oct 2020, 10:56
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/struggling-cornwall-airport-newquay-not-4623481

Cue the usual rent-a-mob howling in the comments section.

cornishsimon
21st Oct 2020, 12:04
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/struggling-cornwall-airport-newquay-not-4623481

Cue the usual rent-a-mob howling in the comments section.

not exactly a huge shock is it. First flybe. Then Covid.

shock horror airport isn’t making money

in all honesty Nqy should have a decent future

southside bobby
21st Oct 2020, 13:26
Perhaps look the other way then & the problem will go away...or not!.

Possibly down to the good taxpayers of Cornwall to put their money where their words are then.

Asturias56
21st Oct 2020, 16:45
Hardly a rent-a-mob...................Cornwall Council's head of finance has said that Cornwall Airport Newquay is not currently viable as it looks at how to address its current financial crisis. The airport has seen a dramatic drop in income this year due to the double hit of the collapse of regional airline FlyBe and the coronavirus pandemic. And on Tuesday (October 20) Cornwall councillors heard from the authority's top finance officer, who said that it was "not a viable company".

The admission came at a meeting of the council's customer and support services overview and scrutiny committee today. It follows councillor Stephen Rushworth asking what the situation was with the airport and whether the council would have to provide financial support to keep it open. He said that the airport was important for Cornwall and that there was concern about its future.

Tracie Langley, the council's chief operating officer, said that the council was asking the Government to provide financial support to help the airport but said that, to date, the Government had only offered to provide a loan. Ms Langley said: "Cornwall Airport Limited is not a viable company at the moment." She said that while the Government offered a loan that was not what was wanted by the council and said that the council had its own ability to secure a loan if necessary. However she said that as the airport itself was not currently viable it would not be able to secure a loan itself.

Last month the council's Cabinet agreed that it would use £5.6million of £10.2m of funding which has been earmarked for Spaceport Cornwall to bail out the airport (https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/local-news/council-could-cut-spaceport-funding-4502096) if it was unable to secure funding from the Government.

Ms Langley told the committee: "If our Cabinet believe that they want to make cash available to the airport because the Government has not been able to help they have already made it known that they will utilise the money we have for the spaceport."

TCAS FAN
21st Oct 2020, 18:28
Learnt earlier this week of the sad passing of one their ATCOs Kevin "Kipper" Roberts due to a heart attack.
RIP Kipper, it was a real pleasure doing business with you.