PDA

View Full Version : Destination Fuel Alternate

nicoli
10th Jan 2018, 11:46
Hi all,
I'm looking for precisions regarding the regulation on fuel destination alternate,

( I'm currently flying airbus hence the example used )

Our dispatch department provide via the CFP a fuel figure for the destination alternate and a route. After entering the route on the flight plan the prediction given by the INIT B almost always gives a reduced fuel figure ( 300 - 400 kg less). I then put the higher number in the box.

Keeping in mind that the route given is usually incorrect : Long star not used anymore, procedure turn instead of straight in,..
Some captains, in flight, in case of hold to increase the holding time, will adjust the route to be more accurate. This adjustment usually gives us 300-400 kg extra.

Therefore my question, is this legally allowed diverting or landing with less fuel than the fuel figure written in the CFP ?

FlightDetent
10th Jan 2018, 11:49
Check EASA CAT.OP.MPA.280 In-flight fuel management — aeroplanes.

Avenger
10th Jan 2018, 12:58
Therefore my question, is this legally allowed diverting or landing with less fuel than the fuel figure written in the CFP ?

You can "legally" land with no fuel, however I'm assuming that's not the question! if you "think" you will land with less than final reserve fuel you should declare a " fuel shortage" to ATC and they will more often than not give you priority. If you "know" you will land with less than final reserves you should declare a "mayday".
The destination alternate fuel can be used for any airport, not necessarily the CFP specified airport, of course there could be commercial or operation issues with electing to land at another, no appropriate fire cover, customs, hotac, handling etc. Usually the OFP takes a fuel figure including a full transition or arrival and the historic " mean analysed fuel burn" known to ops is shown on the OFP. Of course the real issue is whether you use your holding fuel before diverting, then run the risk of meeting x number "divertees" or you make an conscious decision to divert and use this to your advantage. Airmanship should prevail.

Miles Magister
10th Jan 2018, 13:00
Also see CAT.OP.MPA.150 and CAP413 8.29 (Fuel Shortage)

From CAT.OP.MPA.280
(3) The commander shall declare an emergency when the calculated usable fuel on landing, at the nearest adequate aerodrome where a safe landing can be performed, is less than final reserve fuel.

nicoli
10th Jan 2018, 13:19
Thank you all for the answers and specially taking the time to provide the reference.

It is clearer in my mind, the main point is the importance of landing with the final reserve in a normal operation.

Darth Helmet
10th Jan 2018, 14:06
In our airline, the route loaded in the FMGC is normally 200kgs less than the alternate fuel figure on the OFP.
Normally the difference is due to flight level,CI and the main one being the OFP (larger figure) includes a full go around then a diversion, where as the lower fuel figure in the FMGC is only what you have planned in the FMGC with no allowance for a Go around.
The magic number is 30mins fuel Final reserves.
I have plan A and plan B and if a bit tight on fuel include it in my briefing. i.e if we go around we will do a standard go around and then divert or if we go around then we will liaise with ATC and go straight to our alt.

wiggy
10th Jan 2018, 14:11
the main point is the importance of landing with the final reserve in a normal operation.

Sure, you should always plan to, aim to, etc to land with final reserve but note the comments previous posters have made about airmanship, etc......

The engines don't stop when you hit final reserve and if you really do end up against it on a really bad day (and fingers crossed due to superior airmanship you never will) you may be faced with a choice of a rushed, sub-optimal approach to a sub-optimal runway but being "legal" by landing with final reserve, or going a couple of percent/a few kilos into final reserve to make a slightly more optimal arrival to a better runway...

I am not for one minute recommending flying around on fumes, because the sensible thing to do of course is not to get into that situation to start with but I've seen such a scenario thrown in on sims during command upgrades...