PDA

View Full Version : Grooming Standards

AndromedaZ1
10th Jan 2018, 00:08
Hi,

Long time lurker here with a question.

I took a long time hiatus from the Fee For Departure segment in the States and now just starting the hopeful process of EASA CAA conversion of my tickets and finding some work. I have been in the industry since 1994 and began flying professionally in 2004. I notice that some of the European crews are allowed to grow beards and, more specifically, I was wandering if long hair on a male is frowned upon in this segment of the industry? I had a marine haircut for the duration of my time at the regional but since I have been off for 5 years, I decided to grow my hair long and I actually like it this way and don't want to get it cut short again?

Is this sort of thing a 'poison' pill in an interview or are the standards more relaxed for this segment? I will get it cut if the prevailing wisdom says to do so but I really like having a lion's mane because I feel more confident about myself when I don't have to get a buzz cut to fit into a mold.

Thanks in advance.

flyboyike
10th Jan 2018, 20:25
I'd cut it for the interview and grow it back after you're hired. No sense leaving things to chance.

parabellum
10th Jan 2018, 21:26
Marine and buzz cuts not that common outside the USA for commercial pilots. Most common cuts range from the ex military 'short back and sides', (nothing like as short as a Marine haircut), through the range to a fully styled head of hair that costs a small fortune to maintain. Companies I have worked for have required the men's hair to be 'neatly trimmed and free of the collar' In this crazy PC world we are now in the rules may be more relaxed, the concept of 'uniform' doesn't always sit well with the younger generation of pilots, many of whom are paying their own way into the business.

SloppyJoe
10th Jan 2018, 21:58
My suggestion would be to cut your hair to get a job, why risk it. Once employed grow it long and see if you get asked to cut it.

Critter1
17th Jan 2018, 14:02
I fully agree with the last post

B2N2
17th Jan 2018, 14:07
I don’t.
Different compagnies have different standards. Their name on the tail and their name on the paycheck.
What’s “comfortable” for you is of no concern to them.
Show up in track suit would you? Because it’s more comfortable then the uniform?
Dress to impress on the interview and look the(ir) part.

Mad Monk
17th Jan 2018, 17:36
You might have to wear Hairnet !

Uplinker
28th Jan 2018, 10:05
A person who wants to be a pilot should surely understand that the passengers (and employers) will expect to see a person who looks the part. By that I mean, a smart appearance, neatly groomed and small ‘c’ conservative.

A male pilot with long hair or stubble could be the best pilot in the world, but they will not give the passengers any confidence.

A pilot needs to be organised and in control - if they are not sufficiently organised to have had a shave that morning or get a conservative haircut, then why should anyone believe they have organised the flight properly - and are they the right sort of person to be responsible for a passenger’s life?

A question for you. You are getting onto a coach to go somewhere long distance. As you climb the steps, you see the driver is a guy with long hair and stubble, wearing a Motorhead tee shirt and a baseball cap on backwards. He has visible tatoos and is chewing something.

Or, as you climb the steps, you see the driver is clean-shaven, with a neat, conservative haircut. He is wearing a clean pressed shirt and a tie and greets you politely as you get on.

Which driver would you feel most confident about?

Why do the Armed forces of the world demand such high standards of dress and appearance - after all when you’re down and dirty in a ditch fighting the enemy, what difference does it make what you look like?

It’s all about self organisation and discipline.

Denti
28th Jan 2018, 15:16
A question for you. You are getting onto a coach to go somewhere long distance. As you climb the steps, you see the driver is a guy with long hair and stubble, wearing a Motorhead tee shirt and a baseball cap on backwards. He has visible tatoos and is chewing something.

Or, as you climb the steps, you see the driver is clean-shaven, with a neat, conservative haircut. He is wearing a clean pressed shirt and a tie and greets you politely as you get on.

Which driver would you feel most confident about?

The first one of course. With the second one i would immediately ask myself if someone has kidnapped the bus and is planning something nefarious. But that could be just my perspective as someone who uses public transport in Berlin every day.