PDA

View Full Version : Collisions and Communication

anchorhold
9th Jan 2018, 10:00
Last week in a coroners court the coroner stated that she would be writing to the CAA over the use of radios to comunicate with the ground to avoid collisions. While I am sure she means well, I am not sure if anyone really explained the realitiies of class G aispace to her and what I feel is a deteriorating situation. Before I give the scenario, I need to stress both pilots were quite experienced and I do not apportionany blame either way in respect of the pilots.

A student pilot is on a navex with his instructor in a C152, as far as I know is a straight line track between two airfields with A/G at either end. Halfway along track there is a gliding field with cables up to 3,000 ft and gliding traffic so sensibly they plan to around it, and they decided to request a 'basic service from Coventry. When they are around four miles to the west of the glinding field the Cessna crew see a single seat glider and take immediate avoiding action. The Cessna right wing tip stikes the gliders wing and it detaches, the glider pilot fails to jump out and sadly dies in the wreckage. Lets assume the student, his instructor and the glider pilot took all reasonable steps, including clean canopies, windsheild, glasses as per medical and assume the Cessna selecting the landing light upon reaching an aera where there would be many gliders, possibly non radio or on their club frequency.

So getting back to the croners comments that all airaft should carry a servicable radio and be in contact with the ground. In the above scenario ten years ago on a weekday the Cessna pilot in that area could have opted for Cottesmore LARS or Coventry Radar, five years ago Cottesmore LARS had gone and at about the same time Coventry radar had gone, On the day of this accident a 'basic service was provided by Coventry, If the same flight was today, I understand Coventry is down to A/G thesedays, sadly becauset ATC at Coventry were brilliant before.

So we have a coroner who says, more accidents like will happen, unless something is done, I say more will happen as there is less ATC options, and the larger ATC Units, such as MAN, BHX, EMA, LTN do not really have the time for aircraft outside the ATZ or with not intention to transit the ATZ. To add to this I am not sure the coroner was briefed in respect of A/G which are often not manned, in the case of the above destination I know over the years it is not always manned, a factor I believe in a fatal midair in the circuit a few years ago. A case in point is Booker A/G which was unmanned due to staffing problems at the time if the Cessna/Helicopter midair in December 2017.

The AAIB report makes mention that the glider pilot had a radio but with no Rx, I see this as a red herring, as which frequency was he supposed to be making a listening watch on. Likewise even if in the days of Coventry Radar, would the coroner expext Coventry to hanle local traffic and fifteen circling gliders? On this point, perhaps someone from the gliding community could comment on what percentage glidinders carry a servicable comms radios. Likewise any suggestions on how we could improve matters in terms of collision avoidance and communication between gliders and GA aircraft.

The CAA aparently told the coroner they had a comittee on comunication, yep probably, but no doubt that is a bit like the airprox board and those behind display authorisations. Finally, has anyone on her ever been to an aviation related inquest, is the coroner mainly taking advice from the AAIB or in the case of the abovem would say a senior glider instructor and flight instructor give their opinion as evidence?

Whopity
10th Jan 2018, 15:29
Perhaps we should all have radar so we can see the other aircraft!

westhawk
11th Jan 2018, 04:01
Perhaps we should all have radar so we can see the other aircraft!The big Ab Initio school I currently instruct for in Arizona has the functional equivalent. We have TIS-B enabled on our Garmin GNS 430W NAVCOMs and we now have a Stratus 2S connected via WiFi to the ForeFlight app MAP displayed on our iPads.

Of course the TIS is only available in certain terminal areas and relies upon ATC transponder replies being rebroadcasted and received by our onboard gear. Then a traffic alert may be generated by the Garmin in a manner similar to how a TCAS/ACAS unit would when operting in TA mode. It works reasonably well by giving a specific azimuth, distance and relative altitude to search for traffic, but there are lots of dead zones and target dropouts. Better to receive notice of some traffic some of the time than none at all though I suppose. It's rather like having another set of eyes in the cockpit to detect potential conflicts. Better than nothing.

The Stratus is a whole 'nuther ball game though! It IS like having an ATC RADAR display in the cockpit. Only better. If I have a sectional or terminal area chart displayed in ForeFlight on my iPad, then every aircraft that has an operating transponder and/or ADS-B and is in range will be detected and displayed on the chart along with it's associated data block. If the target is ADS-B or Mode S equipped, the data block will display the type A/C, altitude, speed and more. A vector symbol will indicate direction of flight and where it will be in ten seconds. Long vector symbols indicate fast movers. And it works in areas outside ATC RADAR coverage too.

I've only been using this tech for about 6 months and am still working on how to best employ a plethora of newly available flight data. As if there isn't already enough gizmos to look after! It's very handy in several ways, but can also become a formidable distraction as well. Finding the right balance is a "work in progress".

But yes, I do use this tool to "self vector" around other traffic in the training areas, especially other company aircraft, who I know are doing the same as I. Welcome to a look inside the next generation of ATC!

And yeah, radio communication is also used either with ATC or on established traffic advisory frequencies as appropriate. Mid-air collisions have unfortunately occurred in this area more than once.

BigEndBob
11th Jan 2018, 07:34
Instead of every aircraft owner having to spend thousands changing radios here in the UK would have been better to mandate all aircraft to have some form of collision avoidance equipment instead.
Could never understand why a simple short range transmitter receiver not developed by now using say gps, not dependant on transponders.

dook
11th Jan 2018, 12:02
We used to call it LOOKOUT.