PDA

View Full Version : Do IR theory exams count towards CPL theory exams?

Emkay
6th Jan 2018, 17:56
I know CPL theory can count towards IR theory, but is the reverse also true? I did a search in several places and seeing mixed messages / interpretations

Would be splendid if someone can shed clarity on this issue

S-Works
7th Jan 2018, 08:49
No and CPL does not count toward IR either other than HPL as I recall which is a common exam but does require CAA agreement.

Emkay
7th Jan 2018, 15:26
No and CPL does not count toward IR either other than HPL as I recall which is a common exam but does require CAA agreement.

Thanks, can you share you source on this so I can read up on it more?

RTN11
7th Jan 2018, 15:31
EASA Part FCL, FCL.035

There is no credit between the CPL and IR exams, they are a completely separate set of exams for their respective purpose (although as above HPL may be a common exam between the two, so may only need to be taken once). What you have probably heard of is ATPL exams, which can be used instead of both CPL and IR exams for CPL and IR issue.

(b) Crediting of theoretical knowledge

(1) An applicant having passed the theoretical knowledge examination for an airline transport
pilot licence shall be credited with the theoretical knowledge requirements for the light
aircraft pilot licence, the private pilot licence, the commercial pilot licence and, except in the
case of helicopters, the IR and the EIR in the same category of aircraft.

(2) An applicant having passed the theoretical knowledge examination for a commercial pilot
licence shall be credited with the theoretical knowledge requirement for a light aircraft pilot
licence or a private pilot licence in the same category of aircraft.

(3) The holder of an IR or an applicant having passed the instrument theoretical knowledge
examination for a category of aircraft shall be fully credited towards the requirements for the
theoretical knowledge instruction and examination for an IR in another category of aircraft.

(4) The holder of a pilot licence shall be credited towards the requirements for theoretical
knowledge instruction and examination for a licence in another category of aircraft in
accordance with Appendix 1 to this Part.

(5) Notwithstanding point (b)(3), the holder of an IR(A) who has completed a competencybased
modular IR(A) course or the holder of an EIR shall only be credited in full towards the
requirements for theoretical knowledge instruction and examination for an IR in another
category of aircraft when also having passed the theoretical knowledge instruction and
examination for the IFR part of the course required in accordance with FCL.720.A.(b)(2)(i).

This credit also applies to applicants for a pilot licence who have already successfully
completed the theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of that licence in another
category of aircraft, as long as it is within the validity period specified in FCL.025(c).

Emkay
7th Jan 2018, 15:56
EASA Part FCL, FCL.035

There is no credit between the CPL and IR exams, they are a completely separate set of exams for their respective purpose (although as above HPL may be a common exam between the two, so may only need to be taken once). What you have probably heard of is ATPL exams, which can be used instead of both CPL and IR exams for CPL and IR issue.

Understood thanks

So as someone who's main short term aim is to obtain an IR, and a CPL in a couple of years time, do you recommend that I just get the ATPL theory done firsthand rather than the individual theory courses?

RTN11
7th Jan 2018, 16:11
It varies depending on what you are trying to do.

You would end up taking fewer exams by doing ATPL theory rather than both CPL and IR exams, but they only remain valid for CPL and IR issue for 3 years from the last exam, so you would have a time limit on getting both done.

Doing the ATPL exams gives you the option to fly multi crew in the future, and potentially work towards an ATPL. If you just did CPL and IR exams, and then later decided you wanted to add multi crew you would need to then do the ATPL exams anyway, with a lot of cross over.

Emkay
7th Jan 2018, 16:22
It varies depending on what you are trying to do.

You would end up taking fewer exams by doing ATPL theory rather than both CPL and IR exams, but they only remain valid for CPL and IR issue for 3 years from the last exam, so you would have a time limit on getting both done.

Doing the ATPL exams gives you the option to fly multi crew in the future, and potentially work towards an ATPL. If you just did CPL and IR exams, and then later decided you wanted to add multi crew you would need to then do the ATPL exams anyway, with a lot of cross over.

I plan to do IR and CPL within 3 years (and potentially more thereafter) so it seems doing ATPL theory would be the sensible thing to do then. Thanks

eagleflyer
8th Jan 2018, 13:13
EASA, Part-FCL, Appendix , Crediting of theoreticall knowledge

2.3. An applicant for a CPL having passed the relevant theoretical examinations for an IR in the same category of aircraft is credited towards the theoretical knowledge requirements in the following subjects:
- Human Performance, - Meteorology.

Page 1122 of this document. (https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/Part-FCL.pdf)