PDA

View Full Version : PBN for IMCR/IR(R)

tmmorris
2nd Jan 2018, 09:21
When it published the requirements for PBN in August, the CAA stated they would clarify the situation with IMCR/IR(R) holders 'by the end of the year via Skywise':

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2017034.pdf

They haven’t, as far as I can see... anyone know anything? I’m hoping for self declaration on the next renewal (although annoying, because I’ve recently renewed mine and the club insisted I demonstrate a GPS approach, so I should already qualify...)

Lots of providers are rubbing their hands at the potential course fees.

TheOddOne
2nd Jan 2018, 10:46
If I read this correctly, you only need to obtain the additional qualification if you intend to fly in accordance with PBN routes and procedures. Since our aircraft isn't suitably equipped and I don't intend to fly one that is, I'm assuming that I need take no further action.

Dangerous things, assumptions...

TOO

S-Works
2nd Jan 2018, 12:13
Flying a GPS approach is not a PBN certification. Its way more complicated than that.

My reading of it is that while there should be demonstration of capability of being able to doing a GPS approach if thats what you want to fly there is little else relevant to the IMC holder. I am off on my PBN course for work at soon and thats a £20k course in the US in the simulator so I would doubt very much if flying a GPS approach on an IMC renewal cuts the mustard......

tmmorris
2nd Jan 2018, 14:00
No, but the CAA document appears to assume you need a PBN certification to fly a gps approach, which is all I want to be able to do. Or are typical RNAV approaches non-PBN and I’ve misunderstood?

BoeingBoy
2nd Jan 2018, 14:15
As from next August ALL IR holders must renew their ratings with the PBN qualification. When I contacted my old airline to ask for a letter saying that I'd already managed to find the ground in various Boeings so could probably manage it in my Piper I was told not to bother as the CAA had demanded that the whole pilot workforce be re-examined over their winter training!

As you say, there is a tendency for schools to push people into training but if you mug up on the excellent publication provided free by PPL I/R and the CAA CAP773 document regarding PBN in GA then you should be OK to simply answer questions and self declare previous experience.

As for the IMC rating (Sorry, I'm too old to rename it) then as far as I know nothings been decided but don't expect much in the way of mercy from either EASA or the CAA as this is obviously the hot new topic to 'ensure future safety'.....namely the new bone for the dog to chew on.

tmmorris
2nd Jan 2018, 14:53
Thanks. I have indeed read the PPLIR document and as you say, it's excellent - I learned a lot about 'path terminators' and why it keeps going into SUSPEND mode on certain procedures. Indeed I spent a happy 2 hours this morning educating our CFI on exactly that (he admitted his IF had mostly been done back in the day on steam gauges...)

tmmorris
19th May 2019, 11:30
(BUMP)
Has there been any update on this for IR(R) holders? Can’t find anything on the Skywise website.