PDA

View Full Version : Taking PPL exams in the UK before Euro PPL

ToTheWoods
27th Dec 2017, 12:00
Hi folks,

I plan to finish my PPL in Europe next summer and want to take the PPL exams before I go but after a search here and on other sites I can't see where that's possible as a self-studier.

(I took Air Law this summer at Shoreham and (poor wx saw very limited hours in Shoreham)).

Any advise please?

Thank you.

Richard

(based in Brighton and Cheltenham)

S-Works
27th Dec 2017, 12:15
Depends on the country that will end up issuing your licence. PPL exams are national and not every country recognises another countries. We encounter this all the time in Jerez which is why all our PPL students do UK exams and get a UK licence.

ToTheWoods
27th Dec 2017, 12:33
Hi and thanks for your reply.

It's probably Fly-In-Spain I'm looking at actually and I'll be flying based at Shoreham with some trips to France once experienced / confident. Just want somewhere to go to sit the exams in southern UK.

S-Works
27th Dec 2017, 18:47
Hi and thanks for your reply.

It's probably Fly-In-Spain I'm looking at actually and I'll be flying based at Shoreham with some trips to France once experienced / confident. Just want somewhere to go to sit the exams in southern UK.

Then I prefer you to do the exams with us as my Staff will integrate the theory into the flightbtraining for you.

ToTheWoods
27th Dec 2017, 21:02
Are there no places one can just take the exams in the UK?

Duchess_Driver
28th Dec 2017, 07:55
There are several...

Derek Davidson
Linder Wheeler
Ash Holding
Great Circle
NCEG

(Hope that dosen't constitute advertising?)

remember though, you get what you pay for! Some teach the material, some teach the exams. Caveat emptor.

DD

Phororhacos
28th Dec 2017, 07:56
Have you considered Colin Cleaver at Shoreham? You can find his details on the CAA Examiner list in the top half of page 5. List is here, but it might move...

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1585b%20FE%20171006.pdf

Sam Rutherford
28th Dec 2017, 11:23
If you're going to do your training at FIS, and Boze-X (of FIS) recommends you do your exams there. Then, erm, you should probably do your exams there!

I did my commercial there, good school.

ToTheWoods
28th Dec 2017, 15:35
Ok that's all excellent thank you

I should've explained more clearly that by self-study I mean...reading the books and practicing on apps then taking the exams with no tuition.

BEagle
28th Dec 2017, 16:11
Don't forget the 'hard law' requirements of FCL.025(a)(2):

(2) Applicants shall only take the theoretical knowledge examination when recommended by the approved training organisation (ATO) responsible for their training, once they have completed the appropriate elements of the training course of theoretical knowledge instruction to a satisfactory standard.

Same applies at Registered Facilities.

S-Works
28th Dec 2017, 19:28
Ok that's all excellent thank you

I should've explained more clearly that by self-study I mean...reading the books and practicing on apps then taking the exams with no tuition.

There are a number of apps you can use including pad pilot etc that will serve the purpose for preparation. If you are Apple go onto the App Store and search for EASA PPL exams and plenty will be on offer.

Just bear in mind that your PPL will only be as good as the in depth knowledge you acquire rather than merely learning answers to pass the exams.

ToTheWoods
28th Dec 2017, 20:36
Indeed - I’ve most of the apps and have read the books over the years and taken the PPL exams in South Africa in the 90’s. Since then, whilst going in and out of flying hours without completing the license, I’ve read the books etc again so I’m confident I can pass the exams ‘up front’ then concentrate on the flying.

@Beagle. I hadn’t realised it was necessary to have an approved flying school. (I work in technology and if an exam is needed it’s normal to take it at a local college or even at home with an app which can ensure there’s no cheating and I’d hoped that self-study would be an option. Seems not.)

Duchess_Driver
29th Dec 2017, 07:25
I hadn’t realised it was necessary to have an approved flying school.

It is more appropriate to say an approved training organisation rather than flying school. It is possible to do the PPL theory at an ATO that doesn't do the flying training - just check with them for their ATO number. I believe all on that list I put up have ATO status and can undertake the exams which isn't a problem.

What is possibly of more concern is
plan to finish my PPL in Europe
with
South Africa in the 90’s. Since then, whilst going in and out of flying hours without completing the license might mean that not all of your flying training will count towards the 45 required.

S-Works
29th Dec 2017, 09:10
No training prior to 2012 will count. Although there are some convuluted ways to get there with it.

rudestuff
29th Dec 2017, 09:27
The FAA will accept all previous hours. And an FAA PPL can be validated indefinitely for EASA aircraft.