PDA

View Full Version : Landing on a road...

IMC1
17th Dec 2017, 22:44
I have always wanted to do this.
Anybody know where you can legally land on a road in the UK?
Thanks
IMC

Colibri49
17th Dec 2017, 22:51
Probably on a private road on private land with the landowner's permission. Maybe also on a public road in a serious emergency, although I expect that there would be a very big "please explain" as a consequence.

I did land once on a public road in a remote location over 30 years ago, after first surveying it for miles in both directions to ensure that no vehicle or person would be able to see it. I remained on the ground for a couple of minutes only.

India Four Two
17th Dec 2017, 23:42
Earlier this year, a friend of mine went to Nova Scotia to look at a Murphy Yukon that was for sale. Not just any old Yukon, but one like this one, only with a radial engine:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5669/21451660513_5e580ab148_b.jpg

He decided to buy it and so after a few circuits, since he had never flown an amphib before, he set off on the 2500 nm trip home. After less than half and hour, the engine started mis-firing and eventually the engine quit. Luckily, in the middle of the large forest that he was flying over, was a three-lane highway, with no traffic.

He pulled off a dead-stick landing and was able to roll to a lay-by, out of the way of the traffic. Not bad for his fourth landing in an amphib!

Next day, he and the engineer went back, checked it out and decided the engine was running sufficiently well to chance flying back to the departure point. The Mounties blocked the traffic on the highway and they took off!

I can't imagine the cops in England being so cooperative. ;)

The problem turned out to be an issue with the mags, that only surfaced after about 30 minutes.

ShyTorque
18th Dec 2017, 00:18
Land on the road outside Aviation House at Gatwick. Then go inside, put your licence on the reception desk and slowly back away.

piperboy84
18th Dec 2017, 00:37
Of all the off airport places to put a plane down a public road would be my last choice. They normally have power lines running parallel, sign posts, lane dividers, snow markers and other (show stopping) obstructions you can’t see till it’s to late. If you have to put it down it’s much better in any field, beach, shallow river bed, farm or logging track or into bushes . Off course I know in Alaska they do it all the time and I believe it may be legal, but most of us don’t live there.

India Four Two
18th Dec 2017, 04:29
I remember a few years back when I first met pb84 and he graciously took me on a tour of the Los Angeles basin. During the flight, we had a discussion about possible forced landing sites. The freeways were impossible, being far to busy. I decided the railroad tracks would be probably be OK. pb84 opted for the concrete ditch which is the Los Angeles River. That would be OK, as long as you don't meet the Terminator on a Harley! :E

Sam Rutherford
18th Dec 2017, 13:19
I read something just a few days ago about someone making a landing on a road in the UK (Scotland) due bad weather. Apparently the cops were really helpful and supportive.

So, as long as you have a good reason (for anything, actually), no reason to doubt UK Plod's ability to be professional and helpful!

Getting back to the original question, we've done lots of road landings (lots of fun) but never in the UK (or, indeed, nowhere in Europe south of Sweden).

clunckdriver
18th Dec 2017, 13:46
When fire bombing and spraying in Ontario we always used roads, }{ hardly likely that the Government would pave such places} some of them were "interesting" with only about four feet clearance on the wing tips, but one gets pretty good at judging it after a few seasons, but AG Cats are built pretty tough even if one does clip the odd wing tip, the only big risk are hunters on four wheelers who don't seem able to read the large placards informing them of what's going on, but that a whole different story!

Geriaviator
18th Dec 2017, 14:38
Here in Northern Ireland I recall at least one unscheduled arrival on the two-lane A5 in Co. Derry. The transatlantic single-engine ferry flight was low on fuel and weather was closing, so he wisely chose the first chunk of land and fortunately the road was quiet. The Customs eventually arrived from Aldergrove, the aircraft was refuelled, the Royal Ulster Constabulary closed the road for 15 minutes, and the pilot went happily on his way.

Capt Kremmen
18th Dec 2017, 14:45
Didn't a certain Mathias Rust from Germany attempt to establish a trend ?

Sam Rutherford
18th Dec 2017, 15:07
That's another thread, land on a road that's on a bridge!

treadigraph
18th Dec 2017, 21:22
A Beagle Pup from Biggin Hill force landed on the M25 or M23 during construction around 1974. Think it was flown off again.

Checklist Charlie
19th Dec 2017, 09:08
Have a look at G oogle Maps at S31.042855, E150.279374

There are many roads setout like this in Australia. I have operated a number of times from this particular one during floods.

Some of the major highways in Western Australia are set up for RFDS and/or Police Kingair and PC12 operations with the road widened with turning nodes every few kilometers and the white side posts set wider than the aircraft wingspan.

CC

Flyingmac
19th Dec 2017, 09:17
There's some thought-provoking wreckage in view on Final here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdN13gnDqyw

Take-off here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN_mwn_NaM

Piper.Classique
19th Dec 2017, 19:29
You could go to Aboyne. Land there in a 15m span glider and there's a pretty good overhang on either side of the runway.

piperboy84
19th Dec 2017, 19:35
There's some thought-provoking wreckage in view on Final here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdN13gnDqyw

Take-off here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN_mwn_NaM

This guy needs a Sherpa, Pilatus or a Kodiak, I thought he was gonna drive to his destination.

ETOPS
19th Dec 2017, 20:06
someone making a landing on a road in the UK (Scotland) due bad weather

Here you are Sam...

Plane's 'precautionary' landing on Cumbrae | Largs and Millport Weekly News (http://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/15472602.Plane_s__precautionary__landing_on_Cumbrae/)

Russell Gulch
19th Dec 2017, 20:33
I dont think he was "crazy"...ops normal if your used to bush flying. why build a runway when a road is suitable?

Russ

Sam Rutherford
20th Dec 2017, 09:55
Thank you ETOPS!

chevvron
22nd Dec 2017, 14:43
A Beagle Pup from Biggin Hill force landed on the M25 or M23 during construction around 1974. Think it was flown off again.

If you go to Cyprus, try driving along the motorways from Limassol to Nicosia and Larnaca. First time I did this was in 1990 with a Cypriot friend going to Nicosia; he kept asking 'could you land an F16 just here?'
Then I saw what he meant. Suddenly, the two carriageways 'lost' the shallow trench between them and the central crash barrier was replaced by one which slotted into the road surface. This lasted for about 2km (twice) and at each end there were concrete hardstandings and white rectangular markings on the 'road' surface, plus the road signs were on huge hinges so they could be lowered.
There is another section like this just east of where the Nicosia and Larnaca motorways diverge on the Larnaca section (c1992).

Sam Rutherford
23rd Dec 2017, 16:45
We've landed on roads in Africa - but more a case of nobody seeing or being bothered than any real knowledge of legality/illegality...

rcsa
23rd Dec 2017, 16:52
If you go to Cyprus, try driving along the motorways from Limassol to Nicosia and Larnaca. First time I did this was in 1990 with a Cypriot friend going to Nicosia; he kept asking 'could you land an F16 just here?'
Then I saw what he meant. Suddenly, the two carriageways 'lost' the shallow trench between them and the central crash barrier was replaced by one which slotted into the road surface. This lasted for about 2km (twice) and at each end there were concrete hardstandings and white rectangular markings on the 'road' surface, plus the road signs were on huge hinges so they could be lowered.
There is another section like this just east of where the Nicosia and Larnaca motorways diverge on the Larnaca section (c1992).

Quite a lot of countries have emergency 'war' airstrips on stretches of highway - they are quite common in former Yugoslavia and in Scandinavia, to my knowledge, and I've seen sections of highway in Iraq and Syria that could be the same.

cessnapete
23rd Dec 2017, 19:30
One of the highways into Changi airport Singapore was an emergency military strip. If you looked closely all the trees shrubs in the median were removable in tubs etc.
Don't think it was ever used.

YODI
23rd Dec 2017, 20:53

Still allegedly able to convert the motorway to Runways :)

ex_matelot
23rd Dec 2017, 21:00
Didn't somebody once land a cessna in Red square?

YODI
23rd Dec 2017, 21:10
yes a young teenager for political reasons, from Germany I think

Edit: Video link added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wue02Y0lS38

ShyTorque
23rd Dec 2017, 22:14
I landed on roads a few times (all within the law, btw).
I once landed a helicopter on a remote road at first light and the one thing I was concerned about almost happened - we almost got an HGV in the tail rotor.

BobD
24th Dec 2017, 06:45
At the height of the cold war in the 60's and 70's, when the M62 from Liverpool to Manchester was built, a long stretch of Motorway through the old USAF Burtonwood airbase was supposedly built straight in case the base needed to be re-activated in a hurry. Probably an urban legend, but who knows ?

There are several examples of military aircraft landing on roads/ motorways. here is a video of a Jaguar landing on the M55 before it opened to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVDOBWtBuU