PDA

View Full Version : Uncommanded engine shutdowns

hawk37
14th Dec 2017, 11:03
Can anyone enlighten me on which jet engines (if any) are automatically shutdown in flight should their fuel computers or other controlling devices detect a major problem?

For example, any jet engines shutdown and self protect in flight for over temperature, overspeed, vibrations, or other issues?

If so is there a lot of controversy over the phase of flight this may apply to (eg initial takeoff), and the pilot not making the final decision?

Gilles Hudicourt
17th Dec 2017, 16:04
Incident: Swiss B773 near Iqaluit on Feb 1st 2017, engine automatically shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=4a453674)

hawk37
18th Dec 2017, 20:15
Gilles, while the first paragraph from your link says

"the left hand engine (GE90) showed a fault and shutdown automatically."

and the second says

"The airline confirmed an indication of a fault of the left hand engine caused an automatic shutdown of the engine, as had been technically designed."

This was all preliminary info.

In the 10th paragraph after an investigation it was corrected to

"On Feb 8th 2017 The Aviation Herald received information that the angle gearbox, connecting the gear box to the N2 rotor, cracked causing the gear box to disengage, as result the high pressure fuel pumps were no longer operating causing the engine to shut down due to fuel starvation"

So if the latter info is correct, the shutdown was from fuel starvation, not an uncommanded shutdown.

B737900er
19th Dec 2017, 07:32
I dont think anyone would be happy knowing a computer can shut down engines automatically, I surely wouldnt be.

Now, having an EICAS/ECAM message confirming an engine shut down, and the computer does it for you would be better.

AerocatS2A
19th Dec 2017, 10:31
Overspeed shutdown is automatic on the BAe146, all other shutdowns are manual.

Edit: Engines are ALF502 and LF507.

dixi188
19th Dec 2017, 11:10
RR Spey on the BAC 1-11 had an automatic shut down in the event of a LP shaft failure to prevent turbine overspeed. It was mechanical with a cable from a course threaded nut at the back of the turbine to the HP Cock.

hawk37
19th Dec 2017, 19:41
Well, maybe "auto shutdown" doesn't exist, except for overspeed on some engines as Aerocat says.
I thought I heard in the distant past that extreme vibrations, through a vibration sensor, could auto shutdown some engines. Guess that is not correct