PDA

View Full Version : C172 Share

tobster911
12th Dec 2017, 16:21
Good Afternoon, long time since my last post.

I'm looking at buying a share in a C172. All costs seem very reasonable to me, but just a couple of questions as it's my first foray into any kind of a/c ownership.

1) Is it perfectly acceptable to ask to be taken for a flight? If you were buying a car, you'd want a test drive, so I'd assume that as long as I offer to pay the cost of the flight, this shouldn't be an issue
2) If there are a couple of other interested parties, and I have a date I want to see the a/c (and go for a flight too), but it gets rained off, are most people happy to hold on to the share until you have the flight?
3) Anything in particular I should be cautious of? The plane is over 50 years old, but has an annual until the end of next year, apparently has great maintenance fund and has had new avionics a year or so ago (with new radio for 8.33 regs too).

Thanks in advance

T

golfbananajam
12th Dec 2017, 16:32
Great choice, I had a share in one for many happy years, sadly I no longer fly

1) Is it perfectly acceptable to ask to be taken for a flight? If you were buying a car, you'd want a test drive, so I'd assume that as long as I offer to pay the cost of the flight, this shouldn't be an issue.....yes, absolutely, and make sure you get to fly it too not just a flight as a passenger
2) If there are a couple of other interested parties, and I have a date I want to see the a/c (and go for a flight too), but it gets rained off, are most people happy to hold on to the share until you have the flight?.......Not sure you'll get an answer on this, it would depend on the existing group, how they react to your enquirers (how keen they think you are and if they think you'll fit in) and what offer they get from other, interested parties. It's a question you need to put to them
3) Anything in particular I should be cautious of? The plane is over 50 years old, but has an annual until the end of next year, apparently has great maintenance fund and has had new avionics a year or so ago (with new radio for 8.33 regs too).....Don't worry to much about the age of the airframe, other than to look for signs of rust, but pay attention to the age of the engine and when it might be due for replacement/overhaul. Get a friendly mechanic to look over the tech logs for you. Beware a hangar queen.

betterfromabove
12th Dec 2017, 16:59
From what I've seen, I would say that the things beyond your control that will be most important in the long run in a group are:

1. Are that any issues with the other pilots in the group in terms of how they're flying the plane
2. Bad people relations within the group. The fact that you won't physically see them very often can lead to miscommunications
3. Availability of the plane. A degree of flexibility goes a long way and being fair
4. Degree of maintenance and who is carrying it out. Big potential issue.

And none of this will obviously be easy to find out.

It's a bit like thinking about buying a house and finding out if there are any issues with the neighbours.....you have to think laterally ;-)

In my experience, the best place to try and find out the truth is with the local flying club and its instructors. They tend to get to know this stuff and every time I thought about a share I was always able to find out the hidden story (good and bad) this way.

BFA

Curlytips
12th Dec 2017, 17:02
Glad you've settled on the perfect aircraft to share. Totally safe, low maintenance, spares readily available. But quick question, what engine? And what life remaining?

tobster911
12th Dec 2017, 19:25
Good to hear it seems like a good choice of aircraft. Having spoken to the group chairman this evening it sounds like over the last 10-15 years it hasn't wanted for anything.
Only about half the shareholders fly regularly, and it's maintained by MultiFlight. Airport ops manager is part of the group too, which sounds promising. It was zero houred 8 or so years ago, and done shy of 900 since then. It's a continental o300 if I remember correctly.

Weather permitting, I'll be going to have a fly later this month :)

Thank you

Maoraigh1
12th Dec 2017, 21:48
Look at the accounts. Engine hours, magneto hours, anything lifed. Look at log-books, for recurrent inspections. Look at Group funds. Look at fluctuations over years.
When flying, stall. Trim for hands-off.
And, when buying anything, be wary about others keen to buy if you don't close the deal NOW.

Pilot DAR
12th Dec 2017, 23:09
Flying the plane is of a lesser importance than some of the other important points presented here. An airworthy 172 will fly very much like other airworthy 172's. Yes, there may be subtle differences, and some 172's are nicer to fly than others, but it's unlikely that those fine points will be noticed during a brief qualitative flight. And, will it matter that much to you? Presumably, any snag would be rectified anyway. There's very little which could be wrong with a flyable 172, which could not be fixed. I have bought several Cessnas sight unseen, flight unflown, and never been disappointed.

If the aircraft is not airworthy, or you were to discover a non airworthiness during a sales check flight, that's a different matter. However, that's unlikely, if the airplane is regularly group flown.

When, in the past, I have flown sales check flights on an aircraft, it's been less about the aircraft, and more about the avionics, instruments, and systems - do they all work? Thus, if you intend this, be sure to have a plan to assess function and accuracy. The other aspect I have carefully observed during check flights with other pilots is how they handle and care for the plane. If your pilot is comfortable with a hard landing, riding the brakes, sliding tires, or overspeeding the airframe, that should be a concern to you. If your pilot bumps a landing, and immediately repents, don't worry too much, 172's are tough!

Genghis the Engineer
12th Dec 2017, 23:32
From what I've seen, I would say that the things beyond your control that will be most important in the long run in a group are:

1. Are that any issues with the other pilots in the group in terms of how they're flying the plane
2. Bad people relations within the group. The fact that you won't physically see them very often can lead to miscommunications
3. Availability of the plane. A degree of flexibility goes a long way and being fair
4. Degree of maintenance and who is carrying it out. Big potential issue.

And none of this will obviously be easy to find out.

It's a bit like thinking about buying a house and finding out if there are any issues with the neighbours.....you have to think laterally ;-)

In my experience, the best place to try and find out the truth is with the local flying club and its instructors. They tend to get to know this stuff and every time I thought about a share I was always able to find out the hidden story (good and bad) this way.

BFA

Having been in parallel or series a member of 7 syndicates to date, I think that this is the best advice.

In my experience a problematic aeroplane and a good syndicate will come good. A good aeroplane - however good - will not survive a dysfunctional syndicate.

Meet as many people as possible, look at bookings, look at any issues going on, look at how long engineering problems have historically taken to solve. This will give you a good idea.

However good the aeroplane is, stay away if the syndicate is not working well.

G

flybymike
12th Dec 2017, 23:36
I’m based at Leeds. P.M. Sent

memories of px
21st Dec 2017, 16:42
how many members? 8-10 good, 20 bad! healthy engine fund?