PDA

View Full Version : Lycoming IO-360 Overhaul UK

Heliplane
5th Dec 2017, 20:07
Grateful if anyone could share any recommendations for a reputable overhaul shop in the UK.

Skydiver666
5th Dec 2017, 20:12
I've heard good reports about Norvic

PENNINE BOY
5th Dec 2017, 20:12
Nicholson Mc Laren by far, or better still pay the extra and get a unit from Lycoming. Some shops will give you a price, then come back to you with extras like the camshaft is shot or the crank.
2 year warranty with the Lycoming, roller tappers
And minimal turnaround so more flying rather than waiting 2 months or more.

A and C
5th Dec 2017, 20:37
Some good recommendations above but there are only three companies in the UK who I would go to Eisenburg ( at Southend ) Norvic and Nicholson McLaren.

My personal preference is for Nicholson McLaren but all mentioned above are reputable.

Heliplane
5th Dec 2017, 20:46
Thanks. Airtime in Bournemouth has been mentioned to us too. Any thoughts on them?

A and C
6th Dec 2017, 00:45
There is a reason that after thirty years in the GA business the list of people I recommend is quite short, it has to do with a track record of technical expertise and business integrity.

Cusco
6th Dec 2017, 09:49
Richard von Eisenberg Southend: No contest.

Heliplane
6th Dec 2017, 16:11
Mr Eisenberg knows everything about engines and I'd go back to him in a heartbeat - had he not retired (or so I've been told).

PENNINE BOY
8th Dec 2017, 21:54
Mr Eisenburg has retired I believe.

sharpend
9th Dec 2017, 07:57
Nicholson Mc Laren by far, or better still pay the extra and get a unit from Lycoming. Some shops will give you a price, then come back to you with extras like the camshaft is shot or the crank.
2 year warranty with the Lycoming, roller tappers
And minimal turnaround so more flying rather than waiting 2 months or more.

Totally agree. I went that route and got all new ancillaries, ie alternator, vacuum pump etc.

A and C
9th Dec 2017, 19:27
It’s not quite that simple otherwise the engine shops in the UK would have gone out of business, if you have a very good engine that has hit TBO then a UK shop has a lot to offer.

However if you have a dog of an engine that you suspect has a suspect crank and the cases are fretting badly then best send it to Lycoming.

PENNINE BOY
11th Dec 2017, 19:05
It’s not quite that simple otherwise the engine shops in the UK would have gone out of business, if you have a very good engine that has hit TBO then a UK shop has a lot to offer.

However if you have a dog of an engine that you suspect has a suspect crank and the cases are fretting badly then best send it to Lycoming.

Suspect crank and fretting cases are only usually found on engine stripdown, followed by a further delay in getting back in the air.
Still say a call to airpart and quote for a factory rebuilt engine is a no brainer,
Engine arrives, 1day to take your old unit out and fit new engine, send your old one back in the box. Most engine shops take 2 to 3 months to turn around, add the cost of insurance and Hangarage to it, plus the 2 year warranty 👍

A and C
12th Dec 2017, 14:26
You are correct about not knowing what condition the crankshaft is in before the engine Is dismantled but crankcase fretting is a different matter, this is usualy indicated by oil leaks on the case joints or at the cylinder base.

UK industry turnaround time is usualy determined by the component state, some crankshaft & crankcase rework can only be done in the USA and this takes the time, I had a zero defect overhaul done in five days by one shop who I had given about a months notice of the job.

Local re-build vs factory rebuild is not a simple decision with a lot of factors to be considered. But I have never had a UK shop take more than six weeks to overhaul an engine but may be this is because of the volume of business we do and the fact that they know we pay up promptly.

Mark 1
12th Dec 2017, 18:57
McClaren and Norvic are both quite reputable, but there are many others quite competent to strip, inspect and overhaul these engines.

I would include Airspeed at Derby, Dukeries at Netherthorpe and CFS at Coventry in that list. There are probably several others that could be added and a few to avoid that I won't mention here.

Fl1ingfrog
13th Dec 2017, 17:00
There are a number of things to keep in mind, when deciding a choice, that are not so far mentioned.

The factory exchange offers; New, Rebuilt or Overhauled engines. The difference between "rebuilt" or "overhauled" is not clear. The best explanation, that i've heard, is this; rebuilt is an engine that has only those components that still meet the new engine spec. minimums so are retained. Note the caveat "minimum" not the same as you would expect of an actual new engine. The overhauled engine retains all components that meet approved minimums and should be good until the next scheduled TBO. The actual specs used are not published or easily found. With regard to the returned engine being reimbursed. The factory will only reimburse if the returned engine is good. A knackered crank or a suspec case will mean nothing is likely to be reimbursed. Could be a very expensive option then and has lead therefore to many operators choosing a local (UK) rebuild as the best option.

The benefit of a local rebuild undertaken by one of the companies already mentioned above is that you remain in control. The engineer can advise you of any components they consider is passable but could, even if not likely, let you down. Try getting the factory to honour any of its warranties after a couple of years have passed or the engine is only a few hundred hours into the TBO. The manufacturers expect you to have a top overhaul on half life. Lycoming and Teledyne cylinder problems are another reason for a local rebuild. This allows you to specify after market cylinders with much better life expectancy such as Superior.

Silvaire1
14th Dec 2017, 02:24
The difference between "rebuilt" or "overhauled" is not clear

Under FAA regulations, the difference is clear. An overhaul is when the engine is disassembled and reassembled, with work done in accordance with the manufacturers service instructions, including some specifics (Lycoming allows more flexibility than Continental) but otherwise all components must be measured and found within service limits, no better, before reassembly. The US government cannot in general force you to improve your engine beyond service limits, and it makes no difference that you have it pieces. Service limits are precisely that and if you want to, you can reassemble an engine as an overhaul after doing nothing except what's in the manufacturers service instructions, as long as wearing components are otherwise within service limits. This is why it's important to see the component level data for an overhauled engine when buying it, the FAA definition of overhaul doesn't actually tell a lot about what was done to improve the condition of an overhauled engine while it was apart.

A rebuild is something different - in addition to compliance with the manufacturers service instructions for an overhaul, the engines components must be within the limits documented by the engine manufacturer for a new engine, and the work can only be called a rebuild when performed by an authorized shop, typically the manufacturer, not any A&P mechanic like an overhaul.

That said, I agree that if it's a 'first run' engine (never overhauled) it may be a very good idea to have it overhauled locally and consider the condition of each component individually. For example, if some part is barely outside of new limits after 2000 hrs, and so very well within service limits, do you really want to replace it instead of reinstalling it and seeing how it looks again after 4000 total hrs?

Zsilotski
18th Dec 2017, 16:12
Re -original post. I believe the old Airmotive outfit at Kennington has come along way since it was taken over by Gama. Now being run under Chris Regent with a bit of investment in test cell etc. Might be worth considering.