PDA

View Full Version : When do you HAVE to produce a NOTAM

Sam Rutherford
5th Dec 2017, 16:42
We're looking at having a fly-in next year, and my understanding is that a NOTAM is professional (and nice to see!), but is not a legal requirement. We've asked for them to be issued in the past on that basis, no problems.

BUT, someone is now telling me that it's a legal requirement. We're doing it anyway, but I'd be interested to know. The example given was kite-flying (their experience), so (in the UK for ease) is there a minimum height AGL (for any activity) over which you must ask for a NOTAM to be promulgated?

Intrigued!

chevvron
5th Dec 2017, 17:35
For any activity over 60m agl I would suggest.
Having said that, an Air Navigation Obstruction is one which is 300ft agl or more.
NOTAMs are basically for temporary amendments to information which is contained in the AIP, so if you think about it, if any airfield is not notified in the AIP but suddenly experiences intense activity, it should be NOTAMed.

tescoapp
5th Dec 2017, 18:13
its just the now usual nonsense in the UK that you have to do something or notify someone before doing something perfectly legal.

I have been told by SB in the past that its a legal requirement to submit a VFR flight plan for every flight. That got a stiff ignoring!

Sam Rutherford
5th Dec 2017, 18:35
Hi Chevvron,

Thanks. Do you know where I can move forward from 'suggest' and 'should'?

Hi Tescoapp, who is/are SB?

Right Hand Thread
5th Dec 2017, 18:55
Hi Chevvron,

Special Branch.

Sam Rutherford
5th Dec 2017, 19:05
Special Branch.

I guessed that as well and then abandoned as the idea of Special Branch advising on when VFR flight plans should be filed was too ridiculous!

BossEyed
5th Dec 2017, 19:07
Hence "Special"? :}

chevvron
5th Dec 2017, 19:30
Hi Chevvron,

Does your airfield have an ICAO Location Indicator because if it does, you can submit directly to AIS who will issue a Series E NOTAM.
If not you will have to submit a request to AUS with the lat and Long of the site requesting a Series E NOTAM.

Sam Rutherford
5th Dec 2017, 20:03
But when is a notam REQUIRED? Two planes? 10? 30?

There must be guidance or even rules somewhere?

Maoraigh1
5th Dec 2017, 20:24
Most local fly-ins I've gone to were not notamed.

Heston
5th Dec 2017, 20:28
There must be guidance or even rules somewhere?

Why must there?

Sam Rutherford
5th Dec 2017, 20:34
...because otherwise there would be far fewer. I think.

Balloon releases, for example. It must be laid down somewhere that it's either recommended or required (and why).

n5296s
5th Dec 2017, 20:53
So let me get this straight. You have a legally established airfield. And you have to get a NOTAM if you actually want to use it. Good grief.

Sam Rutherford
5th Dec 2017, 21:11
Our event is not at an airfield - if that changes anything?

But, even at an established (small) airport, if you do an event and expect 1000 planes (for example), NOTAM required?

notapilotjon
5th Dec 2017, 21:31
Sam, can't help with the should / suggest question, we hold a kite festival at Dunstable and as may be flying kites above 60m agl we apply for a Notam

Mark 1
5th Dec 2017, 22:24
My understanding is that temporary or permanent changes or additions to the information in the AIP require a NOTAM. Information regarding anything that may affect the safety, regularity or efficiency of aircraft navigation may be advised by NOTAM.

It doesn't hurt to pass the information and leave it to the AIS to decide whether a NOTAM is appropriate.

I know of occasions where they have chosen not to act on advice of a flour bombing and balloon bursting competition at a local fly-in.

ChickenHouse
5th Dec 2017, 22:59
So let me get this straight. You have a legally established airfield. And you have to get a NOTAM if you actually want to use it. Good grief. Sounds ˋGermanˋ.

tescoapp
6th Dec 2017, 00:14
there is zero legal requirement for a notam because you are carrying out normal aviation activity's for an airfield.

if there is something special in anyway away from the AIP then a notice is sensible and required to alert airman to the difference form normal operations.

If there is no change to normal AIP operations there is no need for a NOtam.

In any case 90% of the people turning up won't read it anyway if flying fixed wing GA and 100% of microlights won't read it.

Sam Rutherford
6th Dec 2017, 04:41
Where does the 60m figure come from?

n5296s
6th Dec 2017, 07:18
if you do an event and expect 1000 planes
Seriously? In the UK? I'd have thought you'd be doing pretty well to get 20. MAYBE Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun get this kind of number, but I'm pretty sure nothing else does. Even in the US - with a much higher pilot density - a normal local fly in might get 20 or 30 aircraft.

Sam Rutherford
6th Dec 2017, 07:32
Well okay then, 20 planes. Notam REQUIRED, or just good 'airmanship'?

And, where is this explained?

I'm intrigued by the apparent lack of regulation - you'd have thought there would be something out there explaining when you should/must request a NOTAM request. If there isn't, then there must be a zillion kites and balloons that are never put on a NOTAM as how is Joe Public supposed to know if even we don't...

Sky blue and black
6th Dec 2017, 08:09
Have you read the bit under "Notam News" on the AIS website?

Sam Rutherford
6th Dec 2017, 08:14
No, do you have a link?

Google didn't produce the answer!

Sky blue and black
6th Dec 2017, 08:20
NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php.html)

hoodie
6th Dec 2017, 08:21
How about this?
NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=242.html)

Sam Rutherford
6th Dec 2017, 08:52
Great, thanks.

Still doesn't answer the 60m figure that's been mentioned?

The one that COULD be pertinent to one of our events is:

Presence of hazards which affect air navigation (e.g. obstacles, exercises, displays, races and major parachuting events outside promulgated sites);

Though given that we're neither doing displays or races?

The 'when not to issue' then gives conflicting advice about "if temporary" - something of an oxymoron given that pretty much the whole point of NOTAMs is that they are for temporary things.

PA28181
6th Dec 2017, 13:35
Just trying to be logical here and probably making assumptions. But wouldn't a Notam be required (legally?) for any proposed clearances to airspace by an ATC unit not normally requiring it, ie: danger area's with notamed prohibited airspace, RAT's, or just that a gunnery range is firing into the stratosphere so keep the MK1 looking out, etc.

And a Notam is also just that, a Notice to Airmen to advise of certain events that could surprise a pilot not expecting to be surrounded by chinese lanterns/ballons/many aircraft/gliders etc. But not a legal requirement?

Sky blue and black
6th Dec 2017, 14:12
The 'when not to issue' then gives conflicting advice about "if temporary" - something of an oxymoron given that pretty much the whole point of NOTAMs is that they are for temporary things.

Permanent changes to the AIP are made by Permanent Notam too.
Have you read ENR 1.1-26, paragraph 4.3 of the AIP, there may be some relevant information there.

Sam Rutherford
6th Dec 2017, 15:08
Permanent - until the AIP is changed, then the NOTAM is removed. I should have phrased it better, thanks.

ENR 1.1-26, paragraph 4.3 of the AIP is about aerodrome licencing. For our event (and balloon releases etc.) it's not relevant as it doesn't involve public transport or flight training.

Sir Niall Dementia
6th Dec 2017, 17:39
Sam;

I run a fly in every year in what is effectively a private garden. We get up to 200 aircraft over two days. I always notam it and every year a few pilots give the notam a thorough ignoring, including a JP from North Weald who did aerobatics training overhead with a display about to start. A parachute aircraft who flew through the area 11 times on one day, and any number of C172, PA28 etc who just fly through oblivious to what is around them. FR 24 is handy for those.

You don’t have to file a notam, but if something goes wrong you have made best efforts to protect everybody.

PM me if you want to chat and I’ll take you through what I do.

SND

notapilotjon
6th Dec 2017, 22:44
Kite flying above 60m

The public might find out from the Kite Society website - thekitesociety.org.uk/KiteRules.html

The information is also on the CAA website - caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Displays,-events-and-activities/Kites/

Forfoxake
7th Dec 2017, 08:18
Seriously? In the UK? I'd have thought you'd be doing pretty well to get 20. MAYBE Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun get this kind of number, but I'm pretty sure nothing else does. Even in the US - with a much higher pilot density - a normal local fly in might get 20 or 30 aircraft.

The PFA rally of old often got over 1000 planes in a weekend- I know because I volunteered in the booking in tent.

The LAA rally is again approaching that figure but, of course, has a very detailed associated NOTAM and RA(T).

Sam Rutherford
7th Dec 2017, 09:18
Sam;

I run a fly in every year in what is effectively a private garden. We get up to 200 aircraft over two days. I always notam it and every year a few pilots give the notam a thorough ignoring, including a JP from North Weald who did aerobatics training overhead with a display about to start. A parachute aircraft who flew through the area 11 times on one day, and any number of C172, PA28 etc who just fly through oblivious to what is around them. FR 24 is handy for those.

You don’t have to file a notam, but if something goes wrong you have made best efforts to protect everybody.

PM me if you want to chat and I’ll take you through what I do.

SND

Will do, thank you!