PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining permission to fly PFA Types into France

Wireless
18th Jul 2002, 21:15
Folks

I understand that for some time now it has been a requirement to obtain prior permission from the relevent authorities to take a PFA type over the water.

Could anyone tell me how to go about obtaining permission? I flew a Luton minor to France in 1998 without any problems. Does obtaining prior permission take long and if so, does this mean that trips will have to be planned months in advance?

I'm also interested in the requirements to continue down into Spain with a PFA type. Any advice will be well received.

Bill

FNG
19th Jul 2002, 07:18
(1) the ever splendid PFA has recently negotiated, in effect, a block exemption for PFA types

(2) check on the PFA's own very detailed website and/or ask the PFA for more info

(3) have a good trip

Which reminds me, must renew my PFA sub

Spiney Norman
19th Jul 2002, 13:59
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the exemption is for Homebuilt aircraft only and not for factory maufactured PFA permit aircraft which may require a specific permission from the appropriate authority.

Spiney
I checked the PFA site about this a couple of days ago or is this even more recent?

FNG
19th Jul 2002, 14:26
I haven't checked the PFA site recently Spiney and assume that you are right. I don't fly a PFA permit type myself but got the impression from a Cub owner that his aircraft was covered by the general permission to fly in France, although he may have been misinformed. Anyway, best bet is to check the PFA site (which includes a rather sleepy bulletin board) and/or ask the PFA themselves.

Wireless
19th Jul 2002, 18:33
Cheers Guys, I'll look into it.

The type I'm intereted in taking over is a homebuilt American design (G-Reg & PFA Permit), so no worries there

Bill