PDA

View Full Version : De-Ice Fluid

Heliplane
19th Nov 2017, 18:08
I often use TKS de-icing fluid, through a simple pump and squirt device, to help de-ice my aircraft on a cold/frosty morning.

The TKS fluid, although effective, is rather expensive. There seem to be other deicing fluids on the market, some expressly stated to be non corrosive, and I wondered whether anyone had any recommendations for alternatives that might be used on GA aircraft.

Any other helpful deicing techniques for (outdoors parked) aircraft would be greatly appreciated too.

B737C525
19th Nov 2017, 21:45
Use appropriate fluids. If there was a cheap alternative which was just as good, do you think that the commercial brands would still be in production?

Heat them correctly (some small operators use commercial urns of the kind that char ladies used to boil water for tea in - quite effective). This makes a huge difference.

Do not abuse the fluids and I’m sure you know NEVER to fly with ice on the aircraft.

A decent winter ops course might be a very good investment.

Where are you based?

Heliplane
20th Nov 2017, 04:52
Based at Denham, parked on a hard stand but putting the aircraft in a hangar is not a convenient option.

tescoapp
20th Nov 2017, 06:01
Are you heating the fluid before you spray it?

bingofuel
20th Nov 2017, 07:08
Have you considered buying some wing covers?

tescoapp
20th Nov 2017, 07:55
Always thought a small tent hanger with a space heater in it would do the job for med sized flight schools quite well and pay for itself within a couple of years.

None school aircraft 40 quid for 20 mins in it would work out cheaper than fluid.

Heliplane
20th Nov 2017, 10:50
Wing covers, in my experience, are great at keeping the ice off but, early on a cold morning, result in very rapid ice formation on the wing as soon as the cover comes off. Not worth the hassle in my view - I've stopped using them. The TKS fluid works well, it's just a bit on the pricey side.

Does heating the fluid before using it make a big difference? Could keep it the warm footwell of the car on the way out to the airfield.

tescoapp
20th Nov 2017, 11:42
makes a huge difference. Means it doesn't need to rely on the chemical change drop the freezing point. You will use a fraction of the amount compared to cold. Footwell of the car is not warm enough need it at 40-50 deg.

Actually for frost removal how about one of the portable steam cleaners? followed by a quick spray of tks

A and C
21st Nov 2017, 08:30
I’m not sure but are you using the type of fluid that is intended for aircraft equipped with TKS anti icing systems ?

What you need is a type 1 deicing fluid kilfrost is one brand that you could try. Don’t use Type 2 de- icing fluid as the thickening agent prevents it coming off the airframe during take off at GA aircraft speeds, type 2 is intended for use on high speed Aircraft.