PDA

View Full Version : Renter's insurance when flying in the USA

Emkay
18th Nov 2017, 07:32
I am planning to make a US flying trip in December for 3 weeks, where I'll be a renting a C172 and hour building during that time.

Can anyone recommend renter's insurance which will cover any damage to the aircraft that the FBO / rental facility is not going to cover for me?

I have looked into AOPA but it seems they don't allow foreign addresses / phone numbers :confused:

MrAverage
18th Nov 2017, 08:02
AVEMCO is your first stop.

jan99
18th Nov 2017, 17:02
AVEMCO and AOPAIA did not provide for non-US renters 10 years ago.
Twice in the last 10 years I bought insurance from AIG Aviation through
Joe Cacho
Aviation Insurance Resources
Tel 407-770-0240
(Florida)

Included $ 1 million third party insurance and aircraft damage insurance with $1000 deductible.
Cost was about $220 for 12 months, 45% refundable for shorter.

Maoraigh1
18th Nov 2017, 20:43
I've had a standard written agreement with an FBO where the sum I had to pay was about the same as I'd have to pay if I damage my Group Jodel in the UK.
I've enquired about renters insurance at insurance company stands, and been told they wouldn't cover non-residents.
Giving a US address which is not your residence would likely get invalid insurance.

eagleflyer
18th Nov 2017, 23:10
Go to PlusOneFlyers in San Diego and you donīt need renterīs insurance!

JammedStab
19th Nov 2017, 00:18
I don't believe that you have to be an AOPA member to use their insurance. I am a foreigner and they allow me to use the address of one of the schools that I rent from.

custardpsc
19th Nov 2017, 06:21
Renters insurance is by and large right up there with rental car addon insurances. Often sold by the FBO itself, presumably on a kickback. Go to somewhere reputable that already provides reasonable cover and you won't need it. A search on here will provide further in-depth info.

jan99
19th Nov 2017, 07:01
If you have any assets do not omit third party liability insurance.

Emkay
19th Nov 2017, 12:00
Thanks for the suggestions all

I'll be flying with chandler air services who seem very reputable in this community, but sadly they only include basic cover and not pilot liability cover

alland2012
20th Nov 2017, 15:41
AVEMCO and AOPAIA did not provide for non-US renters 10 years ago.
Twice in the last 10 years I bought insurance from AIG Aviation through
Joe Cacho
Aviation Insurance Resources
Tel 407-770-0240
(Florida)

Included $ 1 million third party insurance and aircraft damage insurance with $1000 deductible.
Cost was about $220 for 12 months, 45% refundable for shorter.

I've had AVEMCO since 2012, never had any issues as a non US resident/citizen They are aware of my UK address and also the FBO where I rent from.