PDA

View Full Version : left or right............

sexybeets
18th Jul 2002, 01:24
Does anyone here have 'trouble' with left and right, ie. you want to do a steep turn to the right, but you actually turn to the left?
After about 4hrs of uneventful PPL training I had a discussion with my ever patient instructor (stoic lot those Dutch!) about this problem. Next time up........you guessed it.....I announce "Steep turn to the right"...lift the left wing a little to clear any traffic, repeat same on the right, then promptly roll 45' to the left:eek:

Now, without fail, I'm having to think twice if not three times about which way to turn.:(

What the f@@k is wrong with me?????

I read about it in a book called "The Naked Pilot", and seem to have poisoned my mind.

Help!!! any shrinks out there??

LowNSlow
18th Jul 2002, 03:54
I have the same problem especially when 'she who must be obeyed' says "turn left" cos I usually turn right. In the car I tell people to point in the direction that they want to turn. Works great unless they're in the back seat :D

India Four Two
18th Jul 2002, 04:42
Many years ago at a small grass airfield near Calgary, a group of students was standing by the hangar on a completely calm evening watching a two seater glider maneuvering overhead prior to joining the circuit, when we heard a voice from on high proclaim "Not that left, the other left!"

treadigraph
18th Jul 2002, 07:50
When navigating in cars I often tell the driver to turn left when I mean right or v-v - most of my friends have cottoned on to this and double check with me before committing. After giving passing motorists directions to a pub or whatnot I often wonder whether I've sent them the wrong way!

I'm left handed - relevent to the problem?

Not a problem in my very limited flying experience - drive 152s/172s quite happily from right hand seat with right hand on yoke (just like driving a car in the UK really); more of a problem in gliders where I tended to prefer poling the stick left handed, prompting a "what are you going to use to operate the spoilers then?" from the instructor.

RotorHorn
18th Jul 2002, 10:50
Just nerves mate. Don't worry. In my driving test the examiner said 'turn left' and I went right - luckily it wasn't a one-way street!

My Mum is left handed and was always taught "you write with your right hand" - hence the confusion. If I take her out and she's navigating, we have 'her side' and 'my side'...

:D

QDMQDMQDM
18th Jul 2002, 10:55
My big problem is points of the compass. I changed my DI from an old ribbon DI to a new card-type DI -- problem not solved, but vastly improved. Makes runway orientation at a new field much easier too.

QDM

dublinpilot
18th Jul 2002, 11:28
QDM*3

Though you might like this, which I saw on AV Web

17-Aug-98
Airline pilots, like any of us, can have a tough time finding their way around an unfamiliar airport. One day at SJC (San Jose, Calif.), a UAL DC-10 was headed into unfamiliar territory. Controllers observed the aircraft come to a full stop just short of an intersecting taxiway and remain motionless. After a moment, Ground Control called and said, "UAL XXX turn right at that taxiway." There was no response. Again the controller said, "UAL XXX turn right at that taxiway." No response.
After a few seconds, the controller tried a different approach: "UAL XXX, turn toward the copilot", at which point the aircraft made an immediate 90-degree turn to the right...

QDMQDMQDM
18th Jul 2002, 11:39
dublinpilot,

I can believe it. The thing to watch out for if one does have a weakness like this is times of high workload. Then, you can get really confused, or else freeze, which may be worse.

QDM

Mark 1
18th Jul 2002, 12:42
I remember reading an article some time ago which found that people who have a different dominant hand to their dominant eye often suffered the same L/R confusion.

I am right-handed and left-eyed and have to admit to having to think twice about left and right.

dublinpilot
18th Jul 2002, 12:47
I've the same problem with east/west.

North/South come instantly, but I have to think about east/west for some strange reason:confused:

eveepee
18th Jul 2002, 13:23
Dublinpilot : As someone who is easily confused - took me ages to figure out throttle control as it seemed the wrong way round to me - I offer my tip for west/east. Looking at the compass the word WE is spelt. Hope this helps.:)

Evo7
18th Jul 2002, 13:29
dublinpilot - I do exactly the same thing. No idea why.

I have no problem with actually going left and right if I'm driving/flying, but just like tredigraph if I'm giving someone else directions I'll usually get it wrong. :confused:

At least it isn't just me... :)

a pilot
18th Jul 2002, 14:43
Same problems,can be a problem at a busy airport,getting better after more than a 1000 hours....

FlyingForFun
18th Jul 2002, 14:52
I'm another one who can't tell East from West, but has no problem with left and right.

Not usually a problem. Occassionally I screw up when I'm talking to someone, realise my mistake and correct it. Only time it was a real issue was flying into North Las Vegas. Contacted ATC, confidently told them I was west of the field, and told them the squawk which the previous controller had given me. Slight pause, then they asked me to confirm my position, so I did. Another pause, and they asked me to squawk ident - then very politely (well, not all that politely) informed me that actually I was east of the field, not west :eek:

Now I always mentally double-check east or west before I open my mouth. I'm sure it'll come naturally with practice, but I don't know how much practice it will take! :D

FFF
-----------

dublinpilot
18th Jul 2002, 15:12
eveepee

I know the difference between east & west. It's just that I have to think about it for 10/15 seconds. North/South come instantly.

But thanks for the tip.

While on the subject of tips--anyone have diffulty figureing out starbord/port and which side your red/green lights are?

Well here's how I remember.

Sitting in the plane, looking forward, on your right is the starboard, and the green light.

On your left is the port side, and red light.

Right has more letters in it that left. So does starboard and green.

All the options with more letters are on the same side.

Hope that helps someone!!

VORTIME
18th Jul 2002, 15:14
tip - point to the location of which you're trying to establish your bearing. Next, slowly move your hand in a straight line through the centerdot of the DI, continue past the centerdot and the heading you now read is your bearing FROM the feild. Works every time :)

e.g.

QDMQDMQDM
18th Jul 2002, 15:18
Stemming on from all this, anyone got an easy way to remember turning and acceleration errors for the compass and how to compensate for them? I don't think I'll ever remember that, however long I try.

QDM

pulse1
18th Jul 2002, 15:19
It sometimes happens to ATC as well, so they shouldn't get that uppity about it.

As a yachtie I think we should go back to port and starboard. Much easier!

VORTIME
18th Jul 2002, 15:24
N orth
O pposite
S outh
E xagerate

A ccelerate
N orth
D ecelerate
S outh

hope this helps

FlyingForFun
18th Jul 2002, 15:24
QDM,

Learn the theory - that way you'll be able to handle any written exams, even if it takes you a minute to figure it out.

As for the practice, there are two times you'll need to understand compass errors - if your DI fails (simulated or real failure), or if you're flying an aircraft without a DI. In the former case, make all turns shallow enough that it makes very little difference. You won't need to worry about acceleration errors, because you can just continue flying in a straight line any time you accelerate. And if you're ever fortunate enough to fly a "real" aircraft with no DI, start off gently, and I'm sure it'll start to become instinctive before too long! :D

FFF
---------------

Holdposition
18th Jul 2002, 18:10
Regarding PORT & STARBOARD a statement to remember is:

"there's plenty of PORT LEFT to drink"

This I believe comes from a navy man and is the way I remember it.

Regarding the Nav lights I was taught that a good way to remember is the traffic light phase ie,

RIGHT it's GREEN lets go:

So you associate the right/starboard side with green.

hope this helps:)

VORTIME
18th Jul 2002, 18:52
If you're on the right, you're in the right.

Also,

the caption always drinks port...

SteveR
18th Jul 2002, 19:04
All my life I had problems with Left and Right - my mum had to write 'L' and 'R' on my hands for my cycling proficiency test - and it was a pain when learning to fly, 'cos the intructor would say one thing and I'd do the other.

I got annoyed about it, realised I really *had* to get to grips with it, and I did. Perhaps it was because my brain was set up in 'learn' mode, but for the last 2 years I've not had any problem with it. Nowadays, left and right instructions just roll off the tongue like a normal person.

Steve R

dublinpilot
18th Jul 2002, 21:42
QDM*3

The way i remember turning errors is when turning for north, stop Near to the heading. When turning through south, Surpass the heading.

The way i remember accelleration errors? Can never remember them!! I need a pen and a bit of paper for that!!

niknak
18th Jul 2002, 22:16
I have the same trouble with port and starboard, but the opposite theory was put to me by an ex Navy man, ( and if you think about their capacity for the odd beverage it's logical:D ),

Port is red,

"There is no Port left"

Therefore port is left, starboard must be right.

I think.............:confused:

andrewc
18th Jul 2002, 22:20
I use PORT WINE IS RED to keep the colours sorted...

I must admit to having problems with 010 and 100 as
bearings but we all have our crosses to bear,

-- Andrew

sexybeets
18th Jul 2002, 23:34
Glad it's not just me then!! (I think!) ;)

I must add that I when the turn direction is my choice, the problem is more "mis-indentification", so even if I annouce "right turn" when intending to turn left, I do actually turn left!!

I guess there's a safety issue here, especially when the ATC is alternating aircraft on left and right traffic patterns!! Still, if we're all getting it wrong, spacing would still be ok! :D

maggioneato
19th Jul 2002, 08:18
Some bright spark I know wears a red sock on his left foot and a green one on his right, but I don't know how he remembers which sock to put on which foot. Also never eat shredded wheat for the North South East West. :D

incubus
19th Jul 2002, 08:22
My father taught me that the phrase/question "Is there any Red Port Left?" helps to associate the 3 relevant words.

(The original phrase was actually "There is no red port left", but the negative in there used to confuse me :) )

Carlito
19th Jul 2002, 15:07
For red and green: I remember that LEFT wing politics is RED.

For North/South compass errors: SOS = South OverShoot, so North Undershoot.

Carlito

AerBabe
19th Jul 2002, 16:25
And port is red :)
You only have to remember one, the other is what's left :D
I used to do similar though, remember port is red, and port has 4 letters, as does left. I don't have to think about it any more, unless I've not flown for a while.

On the left/right confusion subject, it seems fairly common for left handers who were forced to write with their right hand to have problems with this.

I've never had any problems, although I do have to turn the map to keep my route going up the page... :o

treadigraph
19th Jul 2002, 22:42
You know, following my earlier post on this thread, thank Christ I never actually made my first avowed intent - to be an Air Traffic Controller...

Golf Charlie Delta, turn Left heading... errr, right heading... errr... ooooops!

juswonnafly
21st Jul 2002, 07:20
Never Eat Shreddied Wheat (N, E, S, W read clockwise)

The RED port is Left on the table

UNOS (when turning on compass only, stop 30 degress Under (before) North or 30 degrees Over (past) South)

Dyslexia Rules! K.O !

:D

Final 3 Greens
21st Jul 2002, 07:24
sexybeets

If you've read the naked Pilot, you know its called laterality and there is little that you can do other than double check yourself.

A real human factor this one and impacts may people everyday in all fields of life.

:)

Who has control?
22nd Jul 2002, 09:39
And there was I thinking I was the only one in the world with left/right confusion. I just put it down to mild dyslexia. Mrs WHC thinks I do it on purpose to annoy her. I'm not - it does.

Thanks guys I feel a lot better now.