PDA

View Full Version : FRTOL equipment

sbnl
8th Nov 2017, 18:37
Hi all, new here so please be gentle. Based in the uk, I am contemplating applying to be an examiner for FRTOL, and whilst I know there are many hurdles to jump and reasons why it may not happen, I don’t want to go through it all and find I have no kit to use. Hence this mail. Does anyone out there have any rt practical equipment that would pass muster and no longer have a use for it? Or any other ideas on how I can get the required set up. I would be very interested in any help anyone could give.

TheOddOne
9th Nov 2017, 05:30
Hi and welcome.

In order to become a FRTOL examiner it is normal to
a) be an existing SEP flight instructor
b) work at suitable premises at which to conduct the test i.e. a flying school or club which is either a Registered Facility or an ATO.

In practice, the equipment you need is 2 computers, networked in separate rooms soundproofed from each other. The CAA used to recommend the software to be installed.

Here's what happened when I applied to become a FRTOL examiner 5 years ago; I assume it's the same today.

The CAA look at your application to ensure that you have the relevant experience i.e. an unrestricted instructor. If you pass this hurdle, they will then send you software to use on 2 computers, which you need to network in separate rooms, suitably soundproofed from each other. A CAA staff member will then visit you to assess your and your premises suitability. This assessment took an entire day. There are 2 written exams, one to test your knowledge of CAP413 and the other to test your capability as an examiner. You will then conduct a complete FRTOL practical test, using the setup you've put together, with the CAA staff member acting as the candidate. You will then conduct a debrief as you would for a candidate. You will then be de-briefed on your performance as an examiner and be given recommendations for improving your facilities and setup. From memory, you will have already paid the fee which you will struggle to recover from candidates before your privilege expires and you have to pay to renew it. Perhaps your location is really busy and you can actually get more money from it than it costs, bearing in mind the contribution you also need to make for the use of the facilities. Most of us do it I guess to add to the service to students at your Club or school. I find it usually takes half a day to conduct the test properly. Quite a bit of this is showing the candidate how to use the software on the computer.
The CAA DO allow the use of alternative equipment, but I don't expect that any is obtainable now, in a format that would satisfy the CAA when they make their visit.
Oh, and another thing. Last time I heard of someone applying, it took over a year from paying their money to finally getting approval to conduct tests, due to a lack of CAA staff.

Good luck
TOO

Whopity
9th Nov 2017, 07:09
The CAA is currently in a bit of a quandary regarding what to do about RTF Examiners and the whole testing procedure. The software contract has terminated, though I gather it still limps on on a month by month basis. There is no source of commercial test equipment though there is nothing to prevent you making a bespoke setup, the specification is in Standards Doc 2 and 4 though the CAA seems to have lost Stds Doc 2.

The CAA did issue a notice saying that until their review was completed, (this was 2 years ago) they would not be accepting new applications. unless it could be established that there were no existing examiners within a reasonable distance.

What most people fail to realise is that there is more money to be made training candidates to the required standard for a FRTOL than in conducting tests and you do not need any form of approval to do it. (6 candidates on a 16 hour course at say £100 each = £300/day)

sbnl
9th Nov 2017, 07:56
Thanks for the replies, much in line with what I had read. It's interesting that the mainstay appears to be computer based but the CAA notes on becoming an examiner are that you must be prepared to travel within your area and not be solely one site based, I suppose a couple of laptops would do it. I recall seeing examiners using various radio/intercom based equipment and it was more that, that I was was looking for.

I understand all the limiting factors like, number if examiners in the area, CAA indicating they are not taking new applications etc, but I would be happy to start the enquiry if I knew the equipment, or some means of building it, was available.

Many thanks for your valuable insight.

Whopity
11th Nov 2017, 11:52
but the CAA notes on becoming an examiner are that you must be prepared to travel within your area and not be solely one site basedThats an interesting change as their previous notes say that tests can only be conducted from an approved location using approved equipment! Apart from one new set of exam papers, (now out of date) RTF Examiners have received no communication from the CAA in the past 9 years! Not bad when they have taken about £750 in fees from each Examiner.

sbnl
11th Nov 2017, 12:21
Thats an interesting change as their previous notes say that tests can only be conducted from an approved location using approved equipment! Apart from one new set of exam papers, (now out of date) RTF Examiners have received no communication from the CAA in the past 9 years! Not bad when they have taken about £750 in fees from each Examiner.

I may have misunderstood slightly as doc 4 states a need to test anyone in the area, which could mean they come to you rather than the examiner travelling. It does look like it’s a bit of a shambles though. However, perhaps due to bloody mindedness, I am still on the lookout for kit if anyone has decided to hang their headphones up!