PDA

View Full Version : VFR to London-Gatwick

OBK!
17th Jul 2002, 13:54
Anybody ever been VFR to Gatwick? What was it like, long holds? I am thinking of flying there to do my class 1 medical in August, prior to going around Europe. Or would it be better to go to Redhill instead? Hopfully, is this is the case there will be a railway station next to Redhill Airfield :)

Any comments welcome.

Kirstey
17th Jul 2002, 14:07
24 Hrs PPR
Landing Fee/Handling is about £340 I believe. Special VFR Minima is 6km in IMC not 3km as with most other CTRs.

Never been there, a bizjet is a newsworthy arrival at LGW these days, but I believe its entirely possible to land there in a single.

bluskis
17th Jul 2002, 14:29
We used to go there every summer Saturday in a PA28 to clear customs to Le Touquet for lunch, having got a SVFR more or less direct across LHR, then call back in for inward customs.

Now I go as a passenger in airline aircraft and get nostalgic when I pick out the lake and rail line we used to use as inbound guides.

The world changes, and as Kirsty quotes, so do the costs and the welcome you are likely to get.

Another thought, suppose you get in, then fail the medical? Parking charges are probably sky high.

OBK!
17th Jul 2002, 14:39
I will just have to consider Redhill....a lot cheaper and efficient!

If I fail my class 1...I will just continue on around Europe, and call in again on the way back lol. Really, I would continue around Europe, and weep all the way :(

Thanks for the info

macky42
17th Jul 2002, 17:40
Is it right they used to have Christmas day 'flyins' at Gatwick a few years ago? No commercial traffic, the tower was manned and VFR flights welcomed? Or did I imagine it?

Daifly
17th Jul 2002, 21:30
I'm pretty sure that the AIP states that you can only operate into LGW as a holder of a Commercial Licence and flying a twin (or more) engined aircraft.

I even believe for LHR that they're not accepting "Light Twins" - no definition you understand! - either (unless on Air Ambulance/Transplant work).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the days of Gatwick being the ideal place to stop and clear customs are long gone - shame.

I think I'd just operate into Redhill and pretend I'm landing on one of the "remote" Gatwick runways ;)

Warped Factor
17th Jul 2002, 22:44
Just to correct the SVFR minima for Gatwick mentioned above, it's 3km vis and/or cloud ceiling 1,000ft.

Otherwise, being a Class D control zone and area the normal VFR/VMC minima for such airspace applies.

We (ATC) would be happy to see you if you can get a runway slot and can afford the handling :)

WF.

Ace Rimmer
18th Jul 2002, 07:04
Flying into LGW in a single that'd be interesting - keep speed up for spacing around cruise should do it then chop the throttle over the threshhold hmmmm it'd be a laugh:D

I guess Redhill might be better, a taxi to Redhill station will take about 5 mins then the train if its a fast one Gatters is one stop a slow one its about two or three.

vancouv
18th Jul 2002, 07:55
A 'friend of a friend' said he did a touch and go in a 152 at Gatwick one Xmas day. ATC told him to donate some money to charity.

When flying in to Redhill remember it has grass and not hard runways - otherwise you might end up doing an approach to Gatwick anyway!!

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
18th Jul 2002, 10:30
It is possible to fly in to Vallance Byways, the small museum airstrip just north of the western threshold of the main runway. It's a shortish grass strip, but Peter Vallance is very friendly and helpful. You can do it on a VFR clearance (it's class D airspace). You will need a transponder and PPR from the airfield. The museum is worth a look around anyway and Peter needs all the support he can get.

Besides it's great fun flying a Permit aircraft in to LGW, the rout from the east is over the top of the North Terminal. Contact details in the latest Lockyears.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

Cayambe
18th Jul 2002, 12:48
Must be possible 'cos I saw a Mooney lining up just in front of our EasyJet flight the other day!

Stampe
18th Jul 2002, 16:43
Britannia Airways quite often fly urgent spares into LGW in one of their large fleet of singles (5xPA28, 1xMooney) to get a tech airliner back in the air as quickly as possible,I,ve seen this happen on numerous occasions.But they have a large ops/atc liason unit to organise it and obviously large pockets.My advice would be to use Redhill, forget the train which will be very inconvenient at both ends and use a taxi door to door.Do it in style!!!.

John Varndell
20th Jul 2002, 17:32
I flew my son and his girlfriend into London Gatwick from Blackbushe in a PA28 about 6 years ago.
When I phoned the handling agents they gave me 2 options. Arrive before 20.00 local and pay around £350.00. Arrive after 20.00 local and pay £120.00.
We landed on runway 26 at 20.01 having filed a VFR flight plan. The handling agents sent a Mercedes to the stand to collect my son etc and whistled them off to connect with their flight to Spain.
The agent handed me a receipt for the fees, a copy of my return flight plan and told me I was booked out.
The main problem I had was navigation on the ground but the controller was keeping an eye on me.
Total flight time there and back 26 minutes. Better than 4 hours on the M25 and worth every penny!