PDA

View Full Version : FI JAA (R) Fixed wing

dareen
19th Oct 2017, 11:42
Hi ,

To teach the FI course you have to be highly skilled instructor with immense experience.

That said, among the teaching fraternity are there any particularly stand out individuals with good reputations along the South Coast Goodwood etc ( I'm based East Sussex) that can offer a relaxed yet high end teaching experience.

I am also willing to drive within reason. Carol Coopers course at Andrewsfield has great recognition and is reasonably priced although quite far from Sussex ( I was hoping to study on a part-time basis).

Also by the way, are there any very good FI Instructors over in Spain/France if one was to consider a better climate option over the winter period?

Many thanks , all your thoughts are appreciated as I do understand it takes effort to reply to peoples random questions.

TheOddOne
19th Oct 2017, 12:28
Hi Dareen,

I think there's only one choice for you, really, and that's Dorothy Saul-Pooley, based at Shoreham.

TOO

Whopity
19th Oct 2017, 14:34
To teach the FI course you have to be highly skilled instructor with immense experience. That was the case untill EASA reduced the experience requirement by 80%!

The JAA is long gone. All EASA courses are conducted at an ATO, a list of which can be found in Standards Doc 31 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/07-2017.pdf) which shows all UK approved schools?

jjohn
20th Oct 2017, 10:17
Hi Dareen, I did the course in FIS Jerez during the last week of Jan and the whole month of February 2016 (highly recommended) and we flew almost every day (except the ones we decided to have off and one day with morning fog). So weather was excellent.

Accommodation was inexpensive and great (AirBnB for a month) and the car rental for a month was 350 Eur... food was inexpensive and delicious too.

Fly-In-Spain tends to do instructors courses twice a year and they bring the FI from U.K. (I think he was from Leeds). Very professional and U.K. CAA approved.

My advise was by then to do the FI rating in a place you can get a chance to continue flying in order to remove the R (because they were not hiring FI and took me a while to get a first job)... However, nowadays is not a concern in U.K. as you can get a nice start with being restricted in many fields, institutions, flying schools.

Winter in Jerez was mostly CAVOK and 15C... if you are free this winter give them a call.

I did the FI course in May at the Leicestershire Aero Club with the same instructor that teaches at Fly-in-Spain. We flew almost every day and I was able to complete the course in just 4 weeks. I highly recommend both schools and the instructor, the only difference is that Fly-in-Spain usually has two courses in a year, one in March and the other one in October. LAC instead has courses during the whole year whenever there is at least one student.

dareen
20th Oct 2017, 17:39
Thank you all for your input. Any further thoughts are kindly appreciated.

All the best, Dareen