PDA

View Full Version : Another headset related question

Cosmo
17th Jul 2002, 07:18
Hi!

I'm about to start my PPL training within a few weeks if all goes according to plan. Since the headsets that come with the A/C are usually of a low standard, I'm thinking of getting a pair of my own.

Before anyone starts telling me to use the search function, I've already done that reading most threads discussing headsets :D

If anyone could share their experience relating to the following questions I'd appreciate it.

First I had my mind set on the Lightspeed 25XL ANR. Read a few good reviews on it plus noticed two Pprune members raving about it. But then I stumbled accross this review:
ANR test (http://www.vansairforce.org/misc/headsets/)

They rated the Lightspeed QFR Cross-Country to be the best.

Any users of the 25XL care to expand further on what they think of it? Any compatibility problems?

Any other recommendations?

Since I live in Europe it might be more convenient to order from a supplier here. Any tips on who sells the 25XL or others on the net in Europe (Germany, the UK etc)?

Regards,
Cosmo

(edited for spelling)

Who has control?
17th Jul 2002, 08:13
Well, actually, I'd say don't bother yet.

Save your money for those things you will definitely have to buy - books, lessons, nav computer, landing fees, ruler, flying lessons, compass, lessons, pens & pencils, more lessons etc.

Your own headset is nice to have, sure, but you won't NEED it until you taking the aircraft by yourself.

Cosmo
17th Jul 2002, 10:21
Point taken. :)

But, for future referens, any hints on European based internet shops/suppliers where headsets can be ordered (other than Transair). :D

Regards,
Cosmo

tacpot
17th Jul 2002, 11:45
Don't assume the school headsets will be of low quality. Complain if they are! They may not be the most comfortable on the market and are very unlikely to include ANR, but they should be acceptable. So yes, save your money, unless you particularly want ANR or your own headset.

I bought mine from the Pilotwarehouse.

http://www.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/

tom775257
17th Jul 2002, 16:29
People in general seem to have a David Clark headset fetish, I don't know why....I purchased a superb Pilot communication PA 17-71 ANR headset for £232, CHEAPER than a standard DC H10-13.4 . Yes, I have spent many hours flying with the David Clark H10-13.4 headset, it is crap in comparison IMHO, I started getting ringing in my ears after a few hours flying wearing the DC's. The ANR is superb on the 17-71 and the headset is very light weight... Seriously, I can't recommend the Pilot headset enough; and it comes with a hard case as standard. Read a few reviews if you don't believe me!
http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/category99000023.html

edited cause I is stupid...;)

RotorHorn
18th Jul 2002, 11:33
I've got a pair of the Pilot ANR headsets as well. Liked the rechargeable battery idea that saves on wires in the cockpit. Very good quality although if you wear sunglasses I find they tend to lift the earcups slightly and can increase the noise level inside the phones.

I've recently spent £18 upgrading the standard ear-seals to the silicon variety to help improve comfort levels on long trips. They're made from the same sort of silicon as the breast implants apparently.

There's nothing better than flying with your head between a pair of them.... :D

WeatherJinx
18th Jul 2002, 13:02
Agree with tom775257 and RotorHorn...

I have a Pilot 17-79 self-contained ANR, together with a passive model (Pilot 21-60) for pax. Both really impressive performers (have received compliments about them from DC-owning pilots among others), and they look good too.

WxJx:cool:

QDMQDMQDM
18th Jul 2002, 13:16
My vote's also with the Pilot 17-79 ANC headsets. They're great. Filtering out the low frequency thrum really makes a difference to fatigue levels, I find.

QDM

Noggin
18th Jul 2002, 19:49
"I'm thinking of getting a pair of my own."

If you are only just starting flying, do you need a pair.? Surely one is enough!

Why not borrow a few from other people, try them out and then make up your own mind. ANRs often cancel the stall warner, not good when training!

Despite the comments on David Clarkes, they are repairable no matter what, and go on for ever. I agree they are not the most comfortable.

Cosmo
20th Jul 2002, 17:24
"I'm thinking of getting a pair of my own."
If you are only just starting flying, do you need a pair.? Surely one is enough!

Ok, you got me there. ;) Badly formulated on my part, being a non-native English speaker and all. Seriously though, I thought "headset" was in the same category as "Binoculars- yes, I'd like a pair" (don't tell me if I even got this wrong :D).

Returning to the subject matter: The reason that I'm thinking of getting a headset of my own is that I've got slight tinnitus, which I don't want to make worse. Also, a friend of mine got his own ANR headset and said that it reduced his fatigue quite a bit. ATC is clearer making it possible to use less volume. He did, however, talk about compatibility problems with some A/C (plugs being of different type).

Regards,
Cosmo