PDA

View Full Version : European Aviation Air Charter

HankyPanky
16th Jul 2002, 22:52
Have heard that EAAC are being sued for race discrimination by an experienced 747 pilot whose application was allegedly turned down due to lack of experience !

Seems like the BA/RAF old boys network may about to be subject to some scrutiny.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

RODDERS
16th Jul 2002, 23:24
Well, yet another blow for this shambles of a company! rumour has it that EAAC have had 5 people (in the last 9 years) take them to court, all have been settled out of court by the company.

It is a shame, the company has potential - they just need to get their act together and start treating people like people and have a bit of consideration and compassion for the crew. after all it is the crew that make the airline work, without the crew there wouldn't be an airline.

please take time to read the very long topic on EAAC in the cabin crew forum. start at the beginning, it is a must read for EAAC fans!!

Rodders.

Send Clowns
16th Jul 2002, 23:55
"...blow for this shambles of a company ..." that has bought (or is negociating to buy) 8 wide-bodied aircraft and taken on staff in all areas since September 11th? They are, as a company, good neighbours and by repute doing alright.

The thread in the cabin-crew forum shows mixed opinions, and of course the negative are more vehement than the contented. From the people I know who work for EAAC (ground, cabin and flight-deck crew) I would guess that those who are positive about the company while admitting the current confusion and lower-than-average pay are closer to the mark on their assessment of the company. Some of those I know were around the airfield before, so knew people in the company. Others have worked for the 'big boys' and know to what they can compare EAAC.

MR WIBBLE
17th Jul 2002, 09:49
Hello Boys and Girls and fellow citizens of Wibble,

Send clowns,

It is god to see yet another person being positive and saying good things about EAAC. I have just got a job with them and start soon, so I am looking forward to it. Although, for example what RODDERS said about this topic, does that have any truth in it or is that just plain cr*p as well? hearing this sort of thing is not good for what I think is a decent little company with a good and bright future.

Thought they only operate 5 Jumbo's not 8. But thats a minor point anyway.

Flyby Guy
17th Jul 2002, 09:54
Interesting.

Wonder what feeble excuse EAAC will come up with.

Although to be fair to them, if they're found guilty of flagrantly breaching UK labour laws, they'll hardly be the first and certainly not the last to have done so.

Send Clowns
17th Jul 2002, 19:43
I realise they only have 5 now, Mr Wibble, as I see them from my office window (BCFTC, 5 minutes walk from EAAC main offices), but understand that they are after another three. Good luck with the new job, might see you around EGHH :D

slipper 1
17th Jul 2002, 20:55
Is it just possible that this pilot was not up to standard? experienced does not necessarily mean good!! perhaps just jumping on the race discrimination bandwagon?? best of luck to all at EAAC. there are PLENTY of airlines worse than European to work for.:rolleyes:

Flyby Guy
18th Jul 2002, 07:03
Slipper 1

How could EAAC have possibly determined whether the pilot was any good if they rejected his application without even an interview?!!! I'm sure the same treatment wasn't meted out to candidates who were ex BA/Virgin/Cathay/RAF .

While there may be plently worse airlines to work for, that does not mean that EAAC (or any other airline) can act with impunity.

lefrancaoui
18th Jul 2002, 15:34
Sent my application, got an answer saying that I don't have the experience required. I have plenty of experience, and I'm not coloured or from any so-called "minority". On top of that they never asked for my photo :p .
Maybe it's because I'm a frog ;)

Noddy Staltern
19th Jul 2002, 09:25
Hanky Panky and Rodders,

You appear to be casting stoned into a pool just to see if there will be ripples. As no-one has confirmed your rumour have you considered that perhaps it is not true?

EAAC recently decided that there would be no more direct-entry command positions. A person has been taken on as a F/O, having been initially offered a command position. This person is currently in dispute with the company. There are no racial overtones, although his previous company was based in the middle east. As to your rumour, a case of 2 plus 2 makes 5 perhaps....?

Flyby Guy
19th Jul 2002, 10:53
Oh ye of little faith Noddy.

As EAAC are based in Bournemouth, any cases brought against them would be heard in the Southampton Employment Tribunal.

If one cared (or had the inclination) to pop down or call Southampton you would see that a claim has indeed been brought against EAAC.

Interesting, n'est pas ?

Noddy Staltern
19th Jul 2002, 15:24
FG,

What you say may well be correct - I have not said that it is not. If you compare what Hanky Panky has 'heard' in the first post to what I wrote in mine, it is possible that this is the same story. One version may be more correct than the other.

I work for EAAC and am more than aware of their shortcomings. This does not mean that everything you hear about them is necesarily true!

MR WIBBLE
19th Jul 2002, 16:00
Hello Boys and Girls and fellow citizens of Wibble,

Noddy,

it is nice to see more and more people sticking up for the company, as I have recently joined I was initially wondered what I was getting into. however having met some of the people and crew in Bournemouth I do think it is a good company. It is a shame people are intent on bad mouthing it and spreading rumours that have no truth in them.

Look forward to meeting you at some point.

Moneyshot
19th Jul 2002, 23:48
We have yet to see the full story in this case but I, for one, am becoming a little bit bored with the race thing. Fact.... European does employ pilots and other personnel of non typically British hues, religions and ethnicity (I believe we even re-employed a German pilot). It is becoming more and more common these days for ethnic minorities to jump on their little band-wagon when they think that they've had a raw deal. Why don't they just accept the fact that their application has not been accepted the same as us WASPs have to. God knows it's happened to me often enough!

HankyPanky
21st Jul 2002, 10:12
Moneyshot,

"It is becoming more and more common these days for ethnic minorities to jump on their little band-wagon"

It's attitudes like this that led to the introduction of race relations legislation in the first place.

Yes some people abuse the protection the system affords them. However for you to make such a sweeping generalisation is absolutely ridiculous and displays a worrying narrow-mindedness. Maybe you could find a job in airline HR ?

Basil
25th Jul 2002, 23:20
HankyPanky,
I've seen competent people get rejected for a number of reasons: Doesn't fit in/We don't like/Doesn't try hard enough/(was going to include the N word for dramatic effect but it would have been starred out!) - these are some reasons given - happened from time to time & seriously p1ssed me off when it did!

I know someone (competent) with a brown skin who got the job for that reason (colour) from a group trying hard to promote their all-embracing ethos (puke!) - whom I have advised not to look a gift horse in the mouth! (And no, I'm not a lefty luvvie!)

So! - don't immediately assume that someone didn't get the job because they're blik - it could be because a very careful employer is only taking people he can personally check out from internal references.

Unfortunately the foregoing does leave the recruiters open to the suggestion of running a mafia but rapidly expanding Small Companies don't have the luxury of a Big Airways recruitmet system.

p.s. just in from pub with another pp contributer so apologies to all if foregoing is silly :)

Cheshire cat EGHH
26th Jul 2002, 20:18
Time for the cats POV.

EAC is a great comany, they have struggled taking on the 747s but then we really didn't have any experience in long haul, so theres bound to be hick ups!

And there ARE 5 747's currently, by the end of the year there will be 8.. (colors not yet desided sorry)

And I have seen 3-4 "other" colored members of our flight crew this week, so I dont think there is a problem there.

Really dont care if EAC are being taken to court my last employeer was taken to court 3 times for the racial thing even though the recument managers sisters bf was "other" colored

I know "other" colored is probally going to be "politically incorrect" but I really dont care any more.

So sue me! (tehahah) joke!

goatgruff
26th Jul 2002, 21:17
Rodders - you wouldn't be the same "rodders" who refused to fill in his census form and got nicked by HMG for your stand, would you????:cool: