PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster Sheffield-2

Pages : [1] 2

TimmyW
28th Jul 2017, 09:18
FlyBe will be basing two aircraft again next summer.

Pretty much the same schedule, with one less rotation for Berlin per week. No sign of Palma for next year yet.

Barnstable
1st Aug 2017, 15:06
From the airport site

(http://www.peel.co.uk/)

Next stop, the airport… as new bus route launches from Sheffield

August 1, 2017 http://flydsa.co.uk/uploads/slider/_pod-image-slider/Sheffield_to_DSA_bus_service.jpeg

Passengers from Sheffield and Rotherham needing to travel to Doncaster Sheffield Airport have a new travel option thanks to Stagecoach Yorkshire.

The first ever direct bus route from Sheffield city centre to Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) sets off on September 3rd and will operate 7 days a week, taking approximately 45 minutes to reach the terminal building.

This news comes on the same day that the airport announced its Summer 2018 routes with Flybe to 10 destinations across Europe including Paris, Dublin, Faro and Malaga now on sale for travel up to June 8.
Steve Gill, chief executive of Doncaster Sheffield Airport said: “This is excellent news all round for our passengers. We are thrilled that Stagecoach Yorkshire is introducing this new route from Sheffield to the airport.

“This is a further step in improving our connectivity and strengthens our proposition to the rest of the travel and airline industry”

The service will operate eight times a day from Sheffield serving peak flight times in the early morning and evening focusing on Wizzair and Flybe flights from the airport.

Matt Davies, managing director of Stagecoach Yorkshire, said: “We are extremely pleased to be launching this new service from Sheffield city centre to Doncaster Sheffield Airport.

“We are keen to support the growth of Doncaster Sheffield Airport which we see as an important regional asset whose growth will only be of wider benefit to the region.

“We’ve worked closely with the team at the airport to develop a schedule that works with their busiest flight times and we are looking forward to working with partners to develop this service further in the future to accommodate more flight times“

The 737 Stagecoach bus service will depart from Sheffield Interchange, from Sunday September 3, with the first service leaving at 4.45am calling at Wickersley, Bramley, and arriving at the DSA terminal at 5.30am.

Tickets for the new service cost just £6 single fare, £6.30 for an unlimited travel explorer ticket which also includes Supertram services and £10 for a family explorer ticket for two adults and up to three children.

Summer 2018 flights with Flybe are on sale for travel to all destinations up to June 8 with the further summer period to be on sale in August.

Barnstable
2nd Aug 2017, 08:56
Basically the bus will take the M18 from the airport to Junction 1 then use A-roads the rest of the way. A time of 45 mins is given, except at peak times when 55 mins is allowed. Just two stops in the Rotherham suburbs. No stop at Rossington or the Wildlife Park.

The fare of £6.30 (with an unlimited tram and bus pass) sounds excellent value given that a taxi from Sheffield is 40 quid and is just 20 mins quicker.

Although the distance is longer, the time still compares favorably with other airport buses. I spent the best part of an hour recently on the bus from Bristol Airport to the city centre.

Jetscream 32
2nd Aug 2017, 09:41
Hope they remember the baggage issue on town buses versus airport car park buses etc... would be good if all regional airports joined the dots in this regard.. good on them

MDS
2nd Aug 2017, 13:17
Good news as Flybe looks to resume Summer 2018 at DSA with the following:

TXL - 2x Weekly
ALC - 3x Weekly
AGP - 3x Weekly
NQY - 3x Weekly
FAO - 3x Weekly
DUB - Daily
JER - Daily
AMS - Daily
CDG - Daily

Unfortunately PMI doesn't appear to be loaded in the system, although considering it was operated with only an E175 this year it may not have been as successful as hoped.

Glad to see strong daily commitment to four routes.

wowzz
2nd Aug 2017, 13:55
The current late afternoon departure to PMI, with an arrival time back to DNS after midnight would not have helped attract pax to the route. In addition, no Saturday or Sunday flights is also a drawback. The route with these schedulings never stood a chance.

tommynwi
2nd Aug 2017, 14:09
Not forgetting that Flybe have only released flights up to June and the Palma flights for this year didn't start until July. So may go on sale with the next batch.

Rob732
2nd Aug 2017, 14:29
No FAO? Would be good to see a BCN squeezed into the schedule.

Cazza_fly
2nd Aug 2017, 17:04
With the reduction in TXL (by 2x weekly) and the current missing PMI, i'd absolutely expect to see some changes to timings and a potential additional route or two added before next year in

As mentioned before, BCN could be a strong possibility and a good choice. It has performed well (pax figure wise) ex-DSA in the past.

Good to see them yet again proving wrong those who said they were pulling out...

cumbrianboy
2nd Aug 2017, 18:24
FAO is operating 3 x weekly in S18.

Having had a quick glance at the schedule would appear that there is an arrival at 1835 every day with no outbound after it, plenty of time to do something in the evening I would have thought

G-FORZ
2nd Aug 2017, 18:52
Be nice to see some evening short sectors to NQY and JER on a Fri/Sun, very few options from the Yorkshire regionals for Weekend getaways, would also serve people working in Cornwall Mon-Fri

MDS
2nd Aug 2017, 19:39
No FAO? Would be good to see a BCN squeezed into the schedule.

I stand corrected, as cumbrianboy mentioned FAO is 3x weekly.

Having had a quick glance at the schedule would appear that there is an arrival at 1835 every day with no outbound after it, plenty of time to do something in the evening I would have thought

Agreed - as I think it's an E175 it would be great to perhaps do a domestic EDI sector or some smaller French town niche weekend markets as Flybe was famous for.

TOM1747
7th Aug 2017, 08:53
I noticed on the FODSA website that Thomson are operating flights to Kefalonia from DSA next summer, plus additional flights to other existing routes such as Dalaman, do we have any further information on this?

canberra97
7th Aug 2017, 21:00
TOM1747

I take it you haven't looked on the TUI website as the summer 2018 flights are clearly visible including those from DSA!

egcntristar
4th Oct 2017, 07:53
To answer my own post #1192 2Excel's 737 will be based out of STN for VIP work and not DSA.

Vulcan to the Sky have applied for planning permission for a visitors hanger to house XH558, this is to be located to the north of the fuel farm.

TimmyW
8th Oct 2017, 17:47
New route from TUI for next summer to Naples.

Barnstable
21st Oct 2017, 19:48
No Berlin from next June, according to the Flybe timetable

egcntristar
25th Oct 2017, 11:52
TUI introducing a weekly Hurghada flight from Winter 18/19.

Rob732
25th Oct 2017, 12:00
Great news on Hurghada. Would also be good if the airport could get round to advertising Naples as a destination (can’t see anything on their website) and I believe it’s been on sale a week or two.

davidjpowell
25th Oct 2017, 18:58
Massive sulk from me this week.

Flybe DSA to Dub missing some days from the schedule. Had to cross to Manchester. Which makes me miserable.

A kick in the balls to their regular business customers.

davidjpowell
27th Oct 2017, 07:26
On the bus from LBA to the.centre. Which is rammed and stopping everywhere.

I kind of thought the airport would be busy enough to get an express service

TimmyW
27th Oct 2017, 08:05
If there was enough demand from business customers, then surely it would have stayed daily rather than reduced to just three times per week.

davidjpowell
27th Oct 2017, 09:26
My informal survey always saw a decent load count mid-week.

I suspect it's more about reducing to one based jet meaning they are picking the 'premium' loads and maintaining the network.

G-FORZ
27th Oct 2017, 15:39
Probably picking the premium spending passengers for DSA to keep the shops and bar afloat. DSA wont make much from a businessman arriving 30 mins before his flight, and lets not forget DSA have a hand in BE being there.

davidjpowell
27th Oct 2017, 19:57
My past few flights in there it's actually been fairly busy. Disappointingly so from my point of view.

And DSA is not going to get rich on the shops profit share. But you are right, my purchase is normally limited to a bottle of water..., and maybe a £2 bacon sarnie from Subway if there is no queue.

LEEDS APPROACH
12th Nov 2017, 11:01
The North West hands Yorkshire and the Humber the blindfold and handcuffs and Yorkshire and the Humber blindly put them on and the whole North East of England is held in an civil aviation economic time warp! Cheers Donny.

Guess which North West company benefits the most?

“We just thought people in Yorkshire hated everyone else – we didn’t realise they hated each other so much.”

David Cameron. He didn't get much right but this he got spot on!

egcntristar
12th Nov 2017, 12:40
Is this the drivel you roll out when you are bored on a Sunday and look for a rise from someone?

Like people state on other threads go away or contribute constructively.

How did those great set of VIP charters from Church Fenton go this summer?

snowman 1
12th Nov 2017, 12:42
DONT FEED THE TROLL

canberra97
13th Nov 2017, 07:35
Your absolutely correct he is a TROLL.

Personally I never use that term as the majority of the time it can often be used in the incorrect manner but in the case of LEEDS APPROACH he is actually what you have written a complete and utter TROLL.

egcntristar
21st Nov 2017, 21:45
BBC Local News reporting a new route to be announced by the end of the month.

This is in addition to the previously announced TUI routes to Kefalonia, Antalya and Hurghada.

DavidShepherd
22nd Nov 2017, 09:44
Any idea who is launching the route (and where to)? I assume it will be one of the incumbents, but hope it's someone new.

egcntristar
22nd Nov 2017, 10:22
As a betting man I would say Reus or Rome with Flybe to replace Berlin.

Peel are being liberal again with "new route" announcements as a few have these have been served in the past and in the case of Antalya by TUI previously.

TOM1747
22nd Nov 2017, 15:34
Potentially they could be announcing the Naples route but it would be good to see an additional route.

Personally I would love Wizz to pick up Prague, I understand it was a good route back in the day with Thomsonfly and Easyjet. The planes were always very busy when I used the service. Pain having to trek to MAN, EMA and LBA.

EGPO
23rd Nov 2017, 00:34
By virtue of it being one route ( unless that's wrong) unless Ryanair come in with one route ( most unlikely despite near constant training for weeks ) it's a bet between Flybe and Wizzair.
Ideally Flybe as they have aircraft sat idle.
An ideal route - somewhere not served ( Rome was a good suggestion ) for example but one with high frequency if poss x7 weekly .
That might restore the couple of lost routes .
Or Loganair to ABZ . Not much of a route but again with good frequency and their statement intending to target all North English airports .?.
Just wait and see.

Heathrow Harry
23rd Nov 2017, 17:01
"the whole North East of England is held in an civil aviation economic time warp!"

I presume you think Yorkshire is in the NE? NCL is doing OK and that's in the REAL NE - not the N Midlands.................. but selfish thinking is unfortunately a real issue with Yorks airports

SWBKCB
23rd Nov 2017, 18:25
Just the King of Yorkshire in empire building mood.... :rolleyes:

Teevee
24th Nov 2017, 08:23
Can't be! Yorkshire is a Republic :p

LBIA
24th Nov 2017, 08:29
Yeah us Yorkshire folk just like to argue amongst ourselves.

LEEDS APPROACH
25th Nov 2017, 09:44
Disappointed that you have called me a troll (whatever that is). I am not posting to wind anybody up. Not interested in that in the slightest.

Having too many airports [some of which are not 21st century airports] within a certain region/population catchment will only hold that region back. That is why Yorkshire and the North East (population above the North West and soon to rise to 9 million people) cannot sustain a scheduled flight to New York.

Finningley fighting with Yeadon (when surrounded by Manchester, East Midlands and Newcastle) will mean continuing abject outright failure for the Yorkshire and Humber region as well as the whole North East in general. Directly helping the North West.

It is not being a troll it is straight forward civil aviation science.

pug
25th Nov 2017, 10:26
Ahhh, so it’s not just about Yorkshire now but the whole of the Noeth East? Have you compared population density of the Greater Manchester/Merseyside area with Yorkshire and the North East? So we’re not just closing LBA now, were closing 5 airports to benefit Leeds..

You know how unlikely this scenario is. It has been pointed out hundreds of tones now. So yes, you are a troll. Until you change the record.

davidjpowell
25th Nov 2017, 10:33
I was in the airport chatting to a chap from Bradford. It had taken him less time to get to Doncaster Sheffield than Leeds Bradford.

He was impressed and had decided to ditch LBA when he could.

It's a shame that they can't turn around the Leeds local trains at a Doncaster Sheffield station - a spur off the quiet Lincoln line... Would make it very accessible.

ericlday
25th Nov 2017, 11:06
From Google..... In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,often for the troll's amusement.

BKS Air Transport
25th Nov 2017, 11:40
@ LEEDS APPROACH

The problem is that you keep posting the same opinion over and over again, year in, year out.
I'm not going to get, yet again, into a discussion on whether your ideas contain any merit, but I fail to see how banging on incessantly about the same proposal which appears to involve the closure of this and another airport can possibly be construed as 'Doncaster Sheffield Airport news', and therefore as such your activity seems to pretty much meet the criteria of being a troll.
Has it not crossed your mind that you are wasting your energy on here and on the Leeds thread? By all means express your views, but try putting them somewhere where somebody might show some interest...such as writing to newspapers...your MP...or even your own Church Fenton thread, but please stop spoiling the enjoyment of those of us who come on here to read some actual news.

EGPO
25th Nov 2017, 12:29
Could not have worded that better .
Btw. Point of order . It's not been called ' Yeadon airport' for many years.
I was going to ask if you had missed LBA -Jet 2 New York flights - not to JFK.
I say again Church Fenton is a no go.
It's too close to the military training corridors for one.
Next it's too close to the end of the proposed High-speed rail.
Added to that it's too close to the planned large alterations to the M1/A1)M) ( linking them to allow more traffic movements there) .
Point is so much going on in a small area will have nimbys and green party lot crawling all over it for years.
Why expand C.F.. When DSA , is slowly establishing .
With large sums spent on access. Changes were made to the highways England owned motorway to assist in that link road .
Plus the europort and large government backing for an ECML spur in future .
That's a lot of cash to throw away and have to pass planning buy acres of land to build a long and wide enough runway ( maybe two ) if your closing ' Yeadon '.
Where is that money coming from?.
Leeds city council still cannot agree years after closing one of the best inter suburban local rail networks out of London - how to provide a public rapid transport orclight rail solution.
It's pie in the sky. You may have been right BEFORE DSA was built and the ten years prior and during that ' Yeadon was getting extended '.
IF you felt strongly then, there are mechanisms in local government to first petition town / parish councils then county plus MP then gather signatures ( see the borders rail campaign for phase 2).
Then you might have got there.
But to hijack a Doncaster thread which some of us see a new post and hope it is actually news about DSA.
With something that won't happen isn't helpful.
This country is on a financial knife edge .
If they couldn't replace Heathrow how do you see them while spending a pittancecon transport in the north, doing essentially the same up here .
Best advise is let be.
Your stuck with LBA it's your local airport. And it's busy so they must be doing something right .

N707ZS
25th Nov 2017, 12:54
I see freight is on the up anyone willing to declare what they are shipping or is it even inbound or outbound. Perhaps feeding that large Amazon depot?

GdLSF
25th Nov 2017, 14:27
I was in the airport chatting to a chap from Bradford. It had taken him less time to get to Doncaster Sheffield than Leeds Bradford.

He was impressed and had decided to ditch LBA when he could.

It's a shame that they can't turn around the Leeds local trains at a Doncaster Sheffield station - a spur off the quiet Lincoln line... Would make it very accessible.

I must take you to task about this post. Assuming the gentlemen lived in Bradford City Centre(you have to start somewhere).
To LBA is 7 miles in an urban area at average 20mph. Time taken - 20mins.
To DSA is 40+ miles so if he is going to do it in 20 mins he must average 120mph!
When you say it took less time to get to DSA than LBA when it is 6 x further, you have to give more detail of the journey to be taken seriously.

Last year someone posted that he had traveled from DSA to Castleford in 30 mins and admitted it was late at night with very little traffic around.

It's a shame you didn't ask for more detail because I would certainly had done so with that claim.

EGPO
25th Nov 2017, 16:17
Hmm Bradford to Doncaster in that time with the M62 and the roadworks plus ALR until Castleford exit.
Then you have to come off into the short bit of A1 motorway and hit the constant eye as high speed traffic from now 100 odd miles of motorway class road is funnelled into an old twisty 1950's mess . Average speed all day very slow. It took me one day 40 mins from the endcof the 3lane to Red house ( A638) so then you have a choice of getting through the city and its traffic or round the terrible old motorway bypass ( both are up for widening at the same time ) right a long there to the M18 - air for the junction and its lights ( M18/A1M ) another few mins to the airport.
Nope unless he had a helicopter or jump jet not very realistic.
Unless it was 3am. And still not possible.
Also Where in Bradford? It's huge .

canberra97
25th Nov 2017, 16:33
Obviously the chap in the terminal was totally exaggerating on the travel distance and the time it took to get to DSA but isn't it really annoying when grown adults who should no better but have a habit of exaggerating, I've come across so many people that exaggerate I find it unbelievable and immature.

davidjpowell
25th Nov 2017, 17:45
It did surprise me. But it was early o'clock, so not something I thought to challenge until later...

I suspect it depends on which part of Bradford he was coming from... and he may have been comparing not like for like times of day.

canberra97
25th Nov 2017, 20:07
I think it was just an early morning bit of banter and neither yourself or the gentleman in question thought that the topic would be discussed any further.

You have those type of conversations with people and it's not until afterwards that you think to yourself 'what the hell was that guy going on about'!

snowman 1
26th Nov 2017, 09:14
hi all
i live on the east side of leeds at cross gates,i use the dsa to malaga flight 3times per year
as its normally cheaper than lba.the millage door to door is 44 miles and motor ways can can some times work for you or against you,from the house to lba is 13 miles and no m/ways and 4 different ways of getting there,i think its all about cost and flight times and your personal choice, the only problem i have found with dsa is if its a late booking the cost of the car is very expensive where at lba there is 2 off site car parks which are
a lot cheaper than the airports.

egcntristar
26th Nov 2017, 15:17
I see freight is on the up anyone willing to declare what they are shipping or is it even inbound or outbound. Perhaps feeding that large Amazon depot?

There is the weekly inbound MD11 from Nairobi with produce for supermarkets. Then the bulk of flights are outbound cargo going to numerous oilfields around the globe, the odd aid flight and special stage flights for arena entertainment shows. The daily Amazon European trial ended a while ago.

mmeteesside
26th Nov 2017, 15:23
I understand the latest Amazon trial goes out of East Midlands, operated by ASL again, but this time to Milan & Madrid.

TimmyW
27th Nov 2017, 12:31
Apparently the new route is a 4 x weekly Flybe service to Belfast.

egcntristar
27th Nov 2017, 12:45
If true I call shenanigans!

Even Flybe have served it previously and so it cannot be called a new route by Peel PR!

From double daily to infrequently previously on a dash meant the route went under. See no reason why it won't happen again at 4 x weekly.

TimmyW
27th Nov 2017, 12:55
Plenty of routes have failed before and served again. Amsterdam one example.

TimmyW
27th Nov 2017, 14:06
Lublin to DSA is now cut. More on the way apparently.

TOM1747
28th Nov 2017, 08:00
Yeah I cant see the Belfast route lasting, the biggest problem with DSA is routes don't last long, then come back. Its a PR disaster really.

There are still a large number of people in Doncaster alone who havent a clue what airlines we have and where they go.

I wonder when TUI again will call Bodrum, Kos, Enfidha, Malta new routes if they bring them back!

Flybe so far now have dropped Dusseldorf and Berlin to my knowledge.

Looks like Wizz have started.

For 6 years I have had to use MAN or EMA as the flight choice just is not there. Its such a shame. I actually love the airport and want it to succeed. But Im not just going to Alicante or Malaga for my hols.

Rob732
28th Nov 2017, 08:57
I really want DSA to succeed, but I agree, there’s still very much a culture of ‘oh I didn’t know you could fly there from donny’.

DavidShepherd
28th Nov 2017, 10:03
Definitely. I'm a fairly local travel agent and am constantly surprised by the number of people who didn't even know it existed. However, once a customer flies from there, 9 out of 10 are converted and love the place.

I always try and promote the airport where possible. It's very much in my interests for the place to succeed, but it is difficult when TUI and Flybe are your only options.

If we could just get a Jet2 or Thomas Cook in there with a meaningful program (i.e. not just Cook's token PMI flight), then the place would really take off.

LBIA
28th Nov 2017, 11:48
I think TCX have pulled out operating charter flights from DSA. They are though still taking Holiday bookings to Majorca using Flybe and TUi flights into PMI.

Plane.Silly
28th Nov 2017, 12:44
If we could just get a Jet2 or Thomas Cook in there with a meaningful program (i.e. not just Cook's token PMI flight), then the place would really take off.

Considering Jet2 have a massive outfit at LBA (and EMA to a certain extent), all DSA would do is dilute their market a bit more. Would be nice, but i can't see it happening anytime soon

They are though still taking Holiday bookings to Majorca using Flybe and TUi flights into PMI.

Always assumed TCX/TUI were sworn rivals so why the collaboration?

DavidShepherd
28th Nov 2017, 12:53
Agreed, there's presently no point in them using DSA, unless they run out of capacity at LBA.

Is that even a remote possibility? I hear that LBA can get very over-run at peak times and passengers can spend up to 90 mins trying to get out of the place, so I imagine it's going to be difficult to keep adding capacity there.

davidjpowell
28th Nov 2017, 14:58
I think TCX have pulled out operating charter flights from DSA. They are though still taking Holiday bookings to Majorca using Flybe and TUi flights into PMI.

I don't recall having read this anywhere?

PS - I'm surprised to note that Sheffield Arena has been renamed FlyDSA Arena.

GdLSF
28th Nov 2017, 15:13
Airlines/Tour Operators make a big show when they put on new routes. When they drop one, they never make a sound.

LEEDS APPROACH
28th Nov 2017, 18:17
Do not worry about falling passenger numbers on various routes from this North West owned airport. This airport will be kept open. Routes will continually make a comeback.

Far far less than ideal Yeadon verses far far less than ideal Finningley is propelling the whole North West of England and Manchester Airport especially.

Having ONE well located [allied to greatest potential population catchment], connected and in time fully functioning airport within the Yorkshire and Humber region (aiding the whole North East of England and North Midlands) would completely change the face of civil aviation in the North West of England.

The irony is that both Doncaster and Leeds economy would go through the roof with the scenario above rather than the utter failure and exporting of wealth to immediate neighbours that is now the historic norm.

DSA-DUB
28th Nov 2017, 18:25
Please can we use LBA/DSA
the young members may not have a glue!

canberra97
28th Nov 2017, 18:28
Oh your still at it aren't you but this time with a more balanced statement but the undertones are still clearly obvious.

Strange to see you here on a Tuesday I thought it was only Sundays that you posted on Pprune!

GrahamK
29th Nov 2017, 02:30
There's already 1 main airport for North East England anyway...Newcastle

Andy_S
29th Nov 2017, 07:27
Ahhh, but that's not a Yorkshire airport........

DSA-DUB
29th Nov 2017, 08:07
And Yorkshire isn’t in the NE.

JollyTraveller
29th Nov 2017, 08:24
DSA has great facilities that should attract more airlines once their current contracts are due for renewal. I think the days of the Northern airports having to give airlines loss making deal to base aircraft at their airports will become a thing of the past now AMP own NCL and LBA.

Northern area airports / (Owners) / Runway Length in feet.

North West
Manchester Airport (Manchester Airports Group) 10,000ft
Liverpool Airport (Peel Group 80%) 7,500ft

North East
Newcastle Airport (NIAL GROUP LIMITED which is 49% owned by AMP Capital) 7,641ft
Durham Tees Valley Airport (Peel Group 89%) 7,516ft

Yorkshire Humberside

Leeds Bradford Airport (AMP Capital) 7,382ft
Humberside Airport (Bristow Aviation Holding Limited) 7,205ft
Doncaster Sheffield Airport (Peel Group) 9,491ft

A320.b744
30th Nov 2017, 11:35
Flybe is axing TXL on 8th June, and will be replaced by x4 weekly flights to BHD from 15th June.

TOM1747
1st Dec 2017, 13:40
The lack of choice at this time of year is poor, I mean only 5/6 flights on a Wednesday!

I was surprised Flybe never picked up the Geneva route from DSA as previously operated by Thomsonfly and Easyjet.

2Planks
1st Dec 2017, 14:44
TOM1747 that would be a welcome readdition as long as they had a decent arrival time unlike last year's Chambery which got you in well after dark with no public transport available.

Barnstable
6th Dec 2017, 19:56
Yes, isn't it amazing that when a route is axed, not a sound is made by anyone - but "new" routes are announced from the rooftops. It's a shame about Berlin, that's one I thought might do OK given Berlin's large population.

A few locals like me are willing to pay more to fly into DSA but I think that most in the catchment area are still unwilling to pay what is often an extra 50-odd quid when cheaper options exist at either MAN, EMA or LBA. Certainly applies in Sheffield, where income levels are generally pretty low and EMA by road or MAN by train are pretty easy journeys.

The second stage of the link road will open shortly which will bring it right to the airport's doorstep. I'm sure that within the catchment area there's plenty of people who would be willing to pay for the convenience of DSA - but haven't used it yet. Word of mouth is that people who use it once always want to use it again. Barring another major financial meltdown, I think the airport has a decent future.

davidjpowell
6th Dec 2017, 20:46
Link road hit a milestone this weekend. First Roundabout opened. Actual road still under construction..

Barnstable
6th Dec 2017, 21:52
Yes, I think I read that the closure of the Parrot's Corner roundabout last weekend, put the link road out of action, leading to major diversions - and a reminder of what access used to be like.

TOM1747
7th Dec 2017, 10:07
As much as I cant stand the airline, I am surprised Ryanair havent made a return, Pisa, Girona, Tenerife South, Alicante etc.

TUI again, I thought they might have offered the return of the long haul once things had got better.

Barnstable
7th Dec 2017, 11:28
Might the Flybe agreement preclude the likes of Ryan Air from operating out of DSA?

DSA-DUB
7th Dec 2017, 14:08
Might the Flybe agreement preclude the likes of Ryan Air from operating out of DSA?
Ryanair will not do anything till contacts are up at nearby airports.

Barnstable
14th Dec 2017, 17:38
Both TUI and Flybe have flights from Alicante to DSA, and both are generally very expensive. However, I can see that the TUI one-way flights to DSA on Dec 23 and 26 are now just 39 quid. FlyBe, on the other hand, is keeping its prices sky high. Virtually all FlyBe's one-ways are way over 100 quid, and the prices don't even seem to change during the "summer sale" which starts in March. It seems like TUI is willing to drop its prices at the last minute to fill its planes, but FlyBe isn't. It's a popular route, but with Ryanair flying ALC - EMA for peanuts, I can't see FlyBe's pricing policy as being sustainable.

LEEDS APPROACH
14th Dec 2017, 21:01
Quite simply it is 2 different strategies to try and create air transport monetary yield where the natural demand is lacking [possibly due to lack of population catchment]. Neither option is sustainable unless the airlines are in some way funded by the airport/ local authority for example.

Barnstable
15th Dec 2017, 07:06
TUI's fare policy is a tried and tested model that is standard for package operators, why would it be unsustainable? My beef is with FlyBe, who are charging about 100 quid more to fly DSA-ALC than Ryanair from EMA. I'd probably pay an extra 40 quid to fly into DSA but not 100.

Catchment area isn't the problem for DSA, its getting more of those living in the catchment area to use the airport when, in cases such as ALC, FAR cheaper options exist down the road.

toledoashley
15th Dec 2017, 07:59
Barnstable - The TUI mantra, and its not just for DSA is to fill its aircraft by selling holidays as that is where they make their money. Therefore, seat only prices are quite high to discourage people from booking seat only - and only at the last minute will they sell extra seats off cheap.

LEEDS APPROACH
31st Dec 2017, 14:25
You think about Flybe and the profit warning and then you look at the base fares which are mind boggling. Good job the Manchester company has lots of money. All part of the masterplan. Yorkshire paralyzed!

Heathrow Harry
1st Jan 2018, 09:28
people complaining about £ 100 one way from Yorkshire to Spain!

Amazing.

G-FORZ
1st Jan 2018, 17:02
Obv not a Yorkshireman! When you can get EMA-ALC (EMA 1 hr away from DSA) for £50, £100 is £50 difference... x2 people x2 sectors thats £200 for an apt!

inOban
1st Jan 2018, 17:32
Is that one way or return? If RTN, then the route is losing money. Even single, it's marginal.

G-FORZ
1st Jan 2018, 18:16
FR flights EMA-ALC frequently £32..that’s reality, losing or marginal! At this many will not pay the DSA premium to fly local with BE or TUI

DSA-DUB
1st Jan 2018, 20:00
I’m wanting to fly out of DSA to Dublin but I’ve been priced out by Flybe.

LEEDS APPROACH
1st Jan 2018, 22:27
If your airport has a tiny catchment area then you cannot get the necessary amount of passenger throughput that will enable the prices to come down such as at EMA for example. The natural demand is always going to be less. Bigger airports with larger natural demand are able to offer the airlines better deals hence lower prices.

Smaller catchment area airports like MME and BLK have in the past offered airlines deals to be there but this as we have seen seldom lasts very long and is unsustainable. Doncaster's Manchester owners are currently doing the same and that is why Flybe's base fares are incredibly low. Ridiculously low. It's an artificial airport with a North Western sugar daddy. Look at the domestic passenger figures from this central UK airport they show the true picture. That is why West Yorkshire has been inundated with adverts for this airport. The North West benefits hugely if Yorkshire has too many airports and Yorkshire keeps on suffering.

Trav a la
1st Jan 2018, 22:38
Flybe pricing is strange.

In July I had to urgently return from holiday from AGP to MAN due to my daughter needing to be admitted to hospital. Loads of flights available to MAN so no problem there.

After a few days I'm looking for a flight back to AGP, but all fights from MAN are full, same at LPL and EMA, I couldn't get a flight for love nor money. Then I checked flights from DSA and Flybe had availability at only £60.49. When I boarded the next day I was surprised to find the flight was only about half full.

Not good management by Flybe.

davidjpowell
2nd Jan 2018, 08:07
I’m wanting to fly out of DSA to Dublin but I’ve been priced out by Flybe.

I'm surprised. This is my normal flight - usually booked last minute.

By the time I look at the inconvenience of getting to another airport for an stupid o'clock start, the cost of parking etc the Doncaster flight, the reduced risk of traffic value looks better....

Only thing I can't get to work is the return journey which normally involves an extra hotel. Usually fly to manchester and get late train. (PS if you do this get first class. Dirt cheap, and the train is normally busy as the A380 passenger load gets in..

Barnstable
3rd Jan 2018, 17:43
DSA's catchment area isn't tiny, as LA suggests. However, most in the catchment area have 4 or 5 alternative airports to choose from. Very few are inconvenienced by flying from somewhere else. I'm a Sheffielder who regularly flies to and from Alicante who'd love to fly from DSA but the price and the (currently early morning) flight times with Flybe and TUI make me look at EMA, MAN and even Liverpool.

LEEDS APPROACH
3rd Jan 2018, 18:11
This is the problem Barnstable - you don't actually understand what a population catchment is. There are two different population catchments (time and distance). It is the point on a map where the time travelled to get to your airport is equal to the time travelled to get to rival passenger carrying airports. Alternatively it is the point on a map where the distance from your airport is equal to the distance to rival passenger carrying airports. They are both finite areas of land and the population of people therein.

Yes you can induce people to travel from Plymouth to use DSA but the time and distance catchment populations are locked figures. By definition EACH airport has its OWN time and distance population catchment. DSA has a very small population catchment.

cumbrianboy
3rd Jan 2018, 18:24
Airports define catxhment areas by time. Always have, so LeedApproach your comments are somewhat redundant.

In actual fact if you understood how it works it's more complex than simply catchment areas.

As for the fares, I would argue that the sentiment above is wrong. Is flybe are charging significantly more than the competition at EMA then that tells me demand is high. If they can charge double and still
Achieve the load factor then demand must exist. In this case it's a supply driven model and good news for flybe.

At the end of the day all of this is a balance between supplier and consumer. Where one wins the other loses.

Of course it's great when competition drives down fares (and it's competition that drives the fares down leeds approach not the size of the airport) but when the consumer 'wins' in the long terms it's unsustainable (aka Monarch). There has to be a balance.

Personally £100 for a fight to ALC is not that bad. You can not supply a flight for £39 profitably. It's impossible.

LEEDS APPROACH
3rd Jan 2018, 18:46
My comments are explaining the maxim. DSA is ringed by airports with much bigger catchment populations and that is why those airports are able to offer cheaper fares/better service. That is the law of catchment populations and why DSA would naturally struggle like BLK and MME for example.

cumbrianboy
3rd Jan 2018, 18:56
I disagree. DSA has a strong catchment, but like STN, it will take time to develop services and establish its base. It is not the size of the catchment that determines the fares, it's the competition from other airlines, and like I said above, some competition is good and the nature of open skies, but the problem with too much competition is ultimately someone has to lose - this was shown with Monarch last year and there may well be further consolidation to come.

DSA is not in the same league as BLK or MME, and in terms of catchment areas with the phase II link road about to open, i'd say DSA probably has a bigger catchment area than leeds ... and with the Sheffield city region really starting to propser, there are good things ahead for the airport I am sure.

LEEDS APPROACH
3rd Jan 2018, 18:57
When you see very low fares it is usually-
a, a very efficient airport with large population catchment and large natural demand/competition

b, an airport that is being deliberately 'propped up' as part of a wider aviation strategy

c, a closing down sale

SWBKCB
3rd Jan 2018, 19:37
...and you choose which ever fits your agenda! :ok:

nigel osborne
3rd Jan 2018, 21:25
I have noticed a number of large freight planes coming out of Doncaster and heading south in recent months.

Is their a regular freight schedule or are they only ad hoc ?

Thanks.

johnnychips
3rd Jan 2018, 22:19
A ridiculously loud Antonov bound for Gothenburg woke me at 0130 this morning, so I hope that one isn’t.

onion
3rd Jan 2018, 22:25
My comments are explaining the maxim. DSA is ringed by airports with much bigger catchment populations and that is why those airports are able to offer cheaper fares/better service. That is the law of catchment populations and why DSA would naturally struggle like BLK and MME for example.

LA can you give me the figures for the catchment areas of MME NCL and LBA please. Just would like to know what figures you are using to back up you statement above.

Midland 331
5th Jan 2018, 07:58
Can anyone advise what the Antonovs to and from Sweden are hauling? Car parts? They provide some lovely sound effects over North Yorkshire, as well as some intriguing routings.

egcntristar
8th Jan 2018, 08:04
I would have thought its car parts going to Sweden.

Also losses are up at the airport.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/airport-turnover-tops-10m-but-losses-widen

TimmyW
9th Jan 2018, 07:48
22 million loss.
Wow.

Barnstable
9th Jan 2018, 09:26
Taken in the context of Peel's operations as a whole it's not a huge amount. Peel obviously sees a future in DSA, hence the investment, advertising and sponsorship. The losses are accompanied by increased passenger numbers. Obvioulsy such losses are unsustainable year-on-year but as they are pre-tax I imagine that they may be offset against taxes on Peel's profitable operations.

Heathrow Harry
9th Jan 2018, 09:29
drop in the Ocean when they turn it into housing & offices.

Teevee
9th Jan 2018, 09:58
NaaH! They'll just extend the pig farm ....:ok:

Barnstable
9th Jan 2018, 13:05
Must admit that was my fear a few years ago, but I can't see DSA ending up like Sheffield City given the investment, the growth of the nearby iPort, the publicly-funded link road, the new Amazon base, the planned business park, new freight facilities etc. I'm sure there will still be an airport there in 10-15 years time, even if passenger operations are scaled back. Even if the tonnage shifted is still very small compared to eg EMA, DSA is indeed well situated for freight and logistics

TOM1747
12th Jan 2018, 08:10
I'm thrilled the airport is doing better at freight, it just needs a few more passenger routes, especially in winter season, keep the routes and the airport will be around for many more years to come.

The one thing that still gets me is the lack of knowledge from locals that we have an airport and where the airlines fly to. Its still not good enough.

egcntristar
15th Jan 2018, 13:20
The proposed Vulcan hangar and visitor centre now has planning permission.

Still waiting on confirmation of plans from UoS on the AMRC proposed maintenance hangar.

Final phase of the link road is nearly complete, however no idea if the Carillon fiasco will affect its completion.

egcntristar
16th Jan 2018, 12:22
Reference the final piece of the link road the council has commented as below.

Peter Dale, the council’s director of regeneration and environment, said: ‘The scheme is at an advanced stage of delivery and is due for completion in April 2018.

‘We are currently working with Carillion staff and the receiver PricewaterhouseCooopers who are seeking to move forward and honour existing contracts. We are also working with Tarmac to look at contingency plans if Carillion are unable to continue with the work.

‘As such, we are hopeful that the project can continue with minimal impact.’

egcntristar
18th Jan 2018, 10:03
Credit to the eysource.

Withdrawn Etihad A340-600 A6-EHJ positioned Abu Dhabi – Bournemouth this morning (17/01) as EY9013 where it will be taken up by 2Excel Aviation.

Interesting to watch 2Excel's operations evolve, as the recently acquired 737 has been at DSA. Presumably the A340 will be based at STN also, but will move around the bases.

TimmyW
23rd Feb 2018, 12:47
The Sheffield Star conducted an interview with Mr Gill yesterday and there was mention of a really big announcement coming at the end of March.

Sounds interesting.

TOM1747
1st Mar 2018, 08:40
Lets hope its further passenger flights and routes that will stay and not be axed.

pug
1st Mar 2018, 17:20
Thought the big announcement was the new master plan?

Barnstable
11th Mar 2018, 15:45
Anyone managed to suss out if the 2018/19 Flybe winter schedule entails less routes or frequencies at DSA?

PAX figures are always very late but so far we're seeing a slight fall in PAX this winter when compared to last winter, presumably due to marginally fewer routes

LBIA
11th Mar 2018, 16:24
DSA - Flybe winter 2018/19 schedule is as follows.

Alicante = 2x weekly, Tue & Sat (Extra flight on Thu over Christmas/New Years period)
Amsterdam = Daily
Belfast City = 4x weekly, Mon Thu Fri & Sun (Several extra flights over Christmas/New Years Period)
Dublin = 3x weekly, Mon Fri & Sun
Jersey = 2x weekly, Wed & Sat
Paris = 2x weekly, Mon & Fri

Monday
BE4471 = DSA 06:50 – DUB 08:00 / BE4472 = DUB 08:35 – DSA 09:40
BE4403 = DSA 10:10 – CDG 12:45 / BE4404 = CDG 13:35 – DSA 14:10
BE4415 = DSA 14:50 – AMS 17:00 / BE4416 = AMS 18:00 – DSA 18:10
BE4483 = DSA 18:40 – BHD 19:35 / BE4484 = BHD 20:05 – DSA 20:55
Tuesday
BE4431 = DSA 07:35 - ALC 11:25 / BE4432 = ALC 12:05 – DSA 14:00
Wednesday
BE4447 = DSA 10:30 – JER 11:50 / BE4448 = JER 12:20 – DSA 13:35
Thursday
BE4415 = DSA 11:00 – AMS 13:10 / BE4416 = AMS 13:55 – DSA 14:05
BE4483 = DSA 14:55 – BHD 15:50 / BE4484 = BHD 16:20 – DSA 17:10
Friday
BE4471 = DSA 06:50 – DUB 08:00 / BE4472 = DUB 08:35 – DSA 09:40
BE4403 = DSA 10:10 – CDG 12:45 / BE4404 = CDG 13:35 – DSA 14:10
BE4483 = DSA 18:40 – BHD 19:35 / BE4484 = BHD 20:05 – DSA 20:55
Saturday
BE4431 = DSA 07:35 - ALC 11:25 / BE4432 = ALC 12:05 – DSA 14:00
BE4447 = DSA 14:45 – JER 16:05 / BE4448 = JER 16:35 – DSA 17:50
BE4415 = DSA 18:20 – AMS 20:30 / BE4416 = AMS 21:20 – DSA 21:30
Sunday
BE4483 = DSA 12:00 – BHD 12:25 / BE4484 = BHD 13:25 – DSA 14:15
BE4415 = DSA 14:55 – AMS 17:05 / BE4416 = AMS 17:40 – DSA 17:50
BE4471 = DSA 18:40 – DUB 19:50 / BE4472 = DUB 20:30 – DSA 21:35

G-FORZ
11th Mar 2018, 16:50
Not one viable business route then... morning out/evening in

egcntristar
11th Mar 2018, 18:27
Still room in the schedule for a few more flights. It's around the same as last year.

In other news there are now three scheduled cargo flights (1 x 747, 2 x MD11).

TartinTon
11th Mar 2018, 20:16
Not one viable business route then... morning out/evening in

Did you know that less than 10% of people travel out and back for business in one day? Depends what your definition of a "viable business route" is. At the moment if you want to travel from the Doncaster region to AMS you have to go to EMA or MAN. Who wants to do a day trip where you have to add at least an hours commute to each end before you even start your flying? Much better to have a days work, travel in the afternoon, meet your client for an evening meal, have a good nights sleep in a hotel and then have your business meeting the next day don't you think?

Rutan16
11th Mar 2018, 20:41
Tartin totally agree.

M-JCS
12th Mar 2018, 08:34
Isn't that the point of using regional airports --- quick in and out, without need of lengthy commutes, making day trips a reality?

TOM1747
12th Mar 2018, 09:17
I'm just glad we have retained Flybe for another winter, it will be interesting to see how Wizz do over the up coming year and whether any further routes will get the chop.

If we could just get a Jet2 based aircraft operating routes or the return of Ryan Air or Easyjet, that would help the pax figures.

The TUI flight to Egypt should also help this next winter season.

Cazza_fly
12th Mar 2018, 10:34
If we could just get a Jet2 based aircraft operating routes or the return of Ryan Air or Easyjet, that would help the pax figures.

Most likely at the expense of DSA's current airlines routes or bases altogether...

Before we see other airlines entering the market or ultimately basing aircraft at DSA, you should ideally want to see the current serving airlines to either base additional aircraft and/or expand their route networks. This will bolster their own positions at DSA making it more sustainable for if demand increased and other airlines eventually arrive in the future.

I don't see the big fuss about the constant want for Jet2 at DSA? Their current way of working wouldn't warrant a single based aircraft and (being realistc) particularly at the moment i don't see demand for any more than that from them ( with my above comment in mind). Especially with their other larger bases of EMA, LBA and MAN all being relatively close by. I understand business models can change and they may indeed find a way of making it financially viable to set up a 1x aircraft base initially as a niche market from DSA, but for now it would be an oddball in the network.

On the flip side, Thomas Cook Airlines could probably better sustain a summer only single based aircraft at DSA. Their business model better fits such an operation and they have better flexibility with their aircraft throughout the seasons to make that possible. The package holiday market is an area where DSA excels at too. Whilst it would be some competition, particularly for TUI, it wouldn't be as aggressive as a large base set up from a low-fares carrier and they often focus on different segments of the charter market too.

As for Ryanair basing, well that would most likely mark the end of Flybe at DSA - in its current form anyway - and would most probably impact on the Wizzair network as well. Operating a select few services on a W-pattern could work again. However, i would suspect these would most likely be the usual summer sun routes - again effecting current serving airlines performance.

Choice for the consumer is great, BUT only when it can be done sustainably.

RAFAT
12th Mar 2018, 13:21
The last thing DSA needs is bloody Ryanair! Their presence there before, I'm sure, quashed interest from other airlines. As Cazza fly said, it would most likely mean the end of Flybe there.

Let's hope Ryanair stay the hell away!

TimmyW
13th Mar 2018, 09:25
The problem with DSA is that it is heavily reliant on Wizz. It makes up for over half the passengers.

They are clearly intent on scaling back their operation to DSA, judging by the routes cut and the significant frequency cuts on the routes that remain.

Then you have Flybe, who have scaled back since they first started, and it remains to be seen whether DSA is anything more than a dumping ground for their Embraers.

TUI are the only ones who seem 100% committed.

As pointed out earlier, I only see a future in freight, with maybe the odd token passenger flight.

canberra97
13th Mar 2018, 10:02
Still room in the schedule for a few more flights. It's around the same as last year.

In other news there are now three scheduled cargo flights (1 x 747, 2 x MD11).

Just out of curiosity but who are operating these cargo flights and are they on a scheduled basis or adhoc?

egcntristar
13th Mar 2018, 18:15
Scheduled as stated, each is weekly. The 747 is Air Atlanta Icelandic, the MD11's are Western Global on behalf of the contractor.

NRU74
13th Mar 2018, 19:25
Is one of the weekly cargo flights a ‘fruit and flowers’ flight from Nairobi ? I seem to recall reading something about this when I visited Doncaster last year.

davidjpowell
15th Mar 2018, 22:04
Did you know that less than 10% of people travel out and back for business in one day? Depends what your definition of a "viable business route" is. At the moment if you want to travel from the Doncaster region to AMS you have to go to EMA or MAN. Who wants to do a day trip where you have to add at least an hours commute to each end before you even start your flying? Much better to have a days work, travel in the afternoon, meet your client for an evening meal, have a good nights sleep in a hotel and then have your business meeting the next day don't you think?

The lack of a return flight consistently annoys me. From Ireland I fly back to Manchester and train it back to Doncaster. Very inefficient. When I was doing the netherlands I was never able to find a way to avoid a night stop - although this was more cost effective then flying a daily return from Humberside.

15th Mar 2018, 22:59

Even if you are staying overnight - you want to chose yourself whether you have a full day there on day of arrival / departure, or whether you travel after a full day of work!

G-FORZ
16th Mar 2018, 09:21
I respect the stats given, however the broader point being made was BE’s indifferent offering at DSA compared with its other bases. They are playing with routes and claiming destination flags rather than providing flexible supply. Without flexible supply there will be limited demand.
It goes further than BE though at DSA, I understand the protection of incumbents, and the risks of inviting new airlines but all successful airports have multiple carriers offering the same routes, and again it is the flexible supply that generates the demand - just like any other consumer product, people will drive to a supermarket for the larger choice 24 hours a day rather than walk to the corner shop with its limited choice and opening hours. And competing supermarkets will open next to each other. The larger supply makes the town more attractive, and local populations increase.
All of Wizz’s success has been due to its supply of product, let’s just hope Peel aren’t suppressing any Wizz uk ambitions at DSA to protect BE.

brian_dromey
16th Mar 2018, 09:30
All of Wizz’s success has been due to its supply of product, let’s just hope Peel aren’t suppressing any Wizz uk ambitions at DSA to protect BE.

I doubt they would. The frequency on DUB and AMS, for example is much lower than the competition, which is a shame considering BE works with both KL and EI.

Barnstable
16th Mar 2018, 10:33
Without checking, I think ALC is the only destination served by more than one airline. Even then, one-way prices are usually at least 70 quid and often over 100, and departure times from DSA are often very early in the morning.

TimmyW
16th Mar 2018, 11:02
Without checking, I think ALC is the only destination served by more than one airline. Even then, one-way prices are usually at least 70 quid and often over 100, and departure times from DSA are often very early in the morning.

Add Palma, Malaga and Faro to that.

Interesting that the Flybe schedule for this summer ends a month earlier at DSA than any other airport.

Navpi
21st Mar 2018, 14:37
https://twitter.com/JayMitchinson/status/976346725089558528?s=09

This is the front of the Yorkshire Post.

25m passengers a year
250m tonnes of freight a year.

A very grandiose masterplan BUT the comment "over to you Mr Grayling" perhaps shows the poverty of knowledge when it comes to aviation decisions.

Other than possibly diverting the East Coast line to DSA I'm unsure what other inflence he has.

It's a bit like HAL suggesting every regional airport in the UK from Alderney to Wick will be connected to Heathrow once rw3 arrives ! It's not them fronting up the money or making the route decisions.

EastMids
21st Mar 2018, 16:07
250m tonnes of freight a year.

I think that's a tad ambitious given EMA, the second busiest freight hub in the UK, is doing around 320,000 tonnes.

horatio_b
21st Mar 2018, 16:08
Bit more information here on the masterplan:

?Aerotropolis? vision could create 73,000 jobs - BQLive (http://www.bqlive.co.uk/transport-infrastructure/2018/03/21/news/aerotropolis-vision-could-create-73-000-jobs-31292/)

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2018, 16:25
Isn't the East Coast Main Line already near capacity?

egcntristar
21st Mar 2018, 16:48
As a supporter of the airport this is to me, just another spin of the Peel PR machine which has been in force since day one.

Who stands to reap the rewards the most - Peel. As a consequence of the land they will sell/lease.

Where will the £280M come from - the hope is that funding will come from a mixture of private and public money procured from both regional and national Government.

Wildly unsubstantiated figures from Peel (who were well out on the last masterplan). Before any apologists state other factors got in the way, they can also do so in the future.

The figures quoted are an inflation of the very best outcome and not reality in my opinion.

highwideandugly
21st Mar 2018, 17:03
Thought I was on the DTV thread there for a mo. !!

Barnstable
21st Mar 2018, 18:40
http://flydsa.co.uk/masterplan

https://i.imgur.com/QHb4kF3.jpg

canberra97
21st Mar 2018, 19:02
Very ambitious plans indeed but I have to say it looks good.

If DSA could secure an ambitious airline for the long term growth potential and with the possibility of a large fleet based at the airport covering a wide network these plans for development could well be seen in the future, but if only, otherwise it's just what it is an idea!

Mickey Kaye
21st Mar 2018, 19:53
Complete pie in the sky. Just look at the size of the GA apron to stat with.

No doubt phase 1 will be selling land off for house building.

DavidShepherd
22nd Mar 2018, 09:42
Very impressive. Has the potential to turn not just the immediate area, but most of West and East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire into a genuine economic powerhouse.

Doncaster and the wider South Yorkshire area have been very good at attracting infrastructure investment in recent years, I would not be at all surprised if the ECML spur was quickly funded and delivered, especially as the government will want to be seen to be making a success of the newly devolved Sheffield City Region.

Add in the forthcoming upgrades to the road network (A1(M) upgrade, Trans Pennine Tunnel and new M1>M18/M180 link) and this could be huge.

My only criticism is that there is no direct rail link to Sheffield and no mention of potential connectivity to HS3, if it ever gets green lit.

Barnstable
22nd Mar 2018, 13:49
Very impressive. Has the potential to turn not just the immediate area, but most of West and East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire into a genuine economic powerhouse.

Doncaster and the wider South Yorkshire area have been very good at attracting infrastructure investment in recent years, I would not be at all surprised if the ECML spur was quickly funded and delivered, especially as the government will want to be seen to be making a success of the newly devolved Sheffield City Region.

Add in the forthcoming upgrades to the road network (A1(M) upgrade, Trans Pennine Tunnel and new M1>M18/M180 link) and this could be huge.

My only criticism is that there is no direct rail link to Sheffield and no mention of potential connectivity to HS3, if it ever gets green lit.

I don't share your optimism about this going ahead, but if it did direct trains could serve Sheffield with a reverse at Doncaster

TimmyW
22nd Mar 2018, 16:47
Head of marketing for Peel has stated on Linked In more than one long haul destination to be announced for DSA on Monday.

TOM1747
22nd Mar 2018, 20:59
I'm guessing its the return of TUI doing long haul with the likes of Orlando Sanford and Cancun like they did pre recession.

egcntristar
24th Mar 2018, 08:45
Would be good to see a return of the 2006/08 charters to Orlando and Cancun from TUI. Without being too gready returning the final based aircraft from that time period would top it off.

egcntristar
25th Mar 2018, 23:27
Its long-haul programme will see Tui’s first flight from Doncaster/Sheffield to Orlando Sanford, Florida, where it will offer more villa and self-catering options in-destination.

From Doncaster/Sheffield, Tui will add 110,000 seats including new routes to Pula, Croatia, Hurghada, Egypt, Kos, Greece and Bodrum, Turkey

Barnstable
26th Mar 2018, 11:32
Presser out now, new aircraft based at DSA - Doncaster Sheffield Airport (http://flydsa.co.uk/latest-news/tui-uk-launches-ambitious-summer-2019-programme-from-doncaster-sheffield-airport)

Chris_747
26th Mar 2018, 12:40
Think it's safe to say next year will be the return of Turkey, be interesting to see what happens with Spain and Portugal given they've been driving their prices up massively this year because of perceived lack of interest in Turkey etc

egcntristar
26th Mar 2018, 12:58
Looking at the official press release Enfidha is one of the signs being held up, but it isn't listed on the "new routes" list. More of a resumption I guess.... best to tell Look North who are going with the "first long haul route in the region".

2006 called, they want their headline back!

TimmyW
28th Mar 2018, 08:43
Wizz Air are currently advertising for cabin crew to be based out of Doncaster.

Now, currently, no Wizz flights originate at DSA, so I am wondering if this is a sign that things are about to change?

egcntristar
28th Mar 2018, 10:11
Wizz Air are currently advertising for cabin crew to be based out of Doncaster.

Now, currently, no Wizz flights originate at DSA, so I am wondering if this is a sign that things are about to change?

They aren't advertising for based crew, its a recruitment day in the local area. If you look at the careers site it says base next to bases but not for BHX or DSA.

In other good news this week, Cluj goes from 2 to 3 weekly this winter.

TOM1747
28th Mar 2018, 12:01
It is great news for DSA this past week, I think pax numbers maybe lower this year with 2 routes axed by Wizz but shouldn't be too drastic with some increased capacity served on their other routes and extra offerings by TUI.

Is the Embraer 195 returning for Flybe or are we having the two based Embraer 175?

If we retain all Wizz and Flybe routes then 2019 is going to be a cracking year for our airport.

TimmyW
28th Mar 2018, 12:35
They aren't advertising for based crew, its a recruitment day in the local area. If you look at the careers site it says base next to bases but not for BHX or DSA.

In other good news this week, Cluj goes from 2 to 3 weekly this winter.

Still - why the need to recruit cabin crew from the DSA area as it states?

egcntristar
28th Mar 2018, 13:07
Still - why the need to recruit cabin crew from the DSA area as it states?

It's simply trying a different talent pool than their usual net being cast. It's something I do for my own company when the usual spots don't find something I'm looking for.

No need to look into it too much, if you watch when new bases are announced THEN ads go out for base crew. Egg before the chicken.

Barnstable
28th Mar 2018, 14:02
FlyBe's Donny-based flight crew are great. It actually makes a difference if, as a passenger, you are from the same area as the crew.

Keyvon
5th Apr 2018, 15:12
Its long-haul programme will see Tui’s first flight from Doncaster/Sheffield to Orlando Sanford, Florida, where it will offer more villa and self-catering options in-destination.

From Doncaster/Sheffield, Tui will add 110,000 seats including new routes to Pula, Croatia, Hurghada, Egypt, Kos, Greece and Bodrum, Turkey

New for S19 is Endifha (Tunisia) with TUI.

Cazza_fly
5th Apr 2018, 16:27
New for S19 is Endifha (Tunisia) with TUI.

Good to see all these routes return to DSA and back on sale. Of course with the new addition of Hurghada now going year round.

wowzz
20th Apr 2018, 13:42
Any idea why a Ryanair aircraft was doing circuits over DSA today. Pilot training?

johnnychips
20th Apr 2018, 14:40
This happens reasonably frequently with Ryanair, EasyJet and Flybe. I suppose it is convenient with the long, wide runway and most flights concentrated in the morning and evening.

wowzz
20th Apr 2018, 15:54
Thanks for that. Although I live fairly close (20 miles away) I'm not on the flight path and wasn't aware of these flights.

TOM1747
27th Apr 2018, 12:53
Do we have any reasons why pax numbers were lower this January and February compared to last year? Did we have less flights operated? Just curious. The winter program is low, on some Wednesdays, only 4 flights per day.

MDS
27th Apr 2018, 21:25
Do we have any reasons why pax numbers were lower this January and February compared to last year? Did we have less flights operated? Just curious. The winter program is low, on some Wednesdays, only 4 flights per day.

Exactly that. BE had a single aircraft based at DSA this past winter compared to two in the past. AGP, PMI, FAO were completely stopped for the winter season.

jumpseater
14th May 2018, 22:24
The problem with DSA is that it is heavily reliant on Wizz. It makes up for over half the passengers.

They are clearly intent on scaling back their operation to DSA, judging by the routes cut and the significant frequency cuts on the routes that remain.

Then you have Flybe, who have scaled back since they first started, and it remains to be seen whether DSA is anything more than a dumping ground for their Embraers.

TUI are the only ones who seem 100% committed.

As pointed out earlier, I only see a future in freight, with maybe the odd token passenger flight. :D

Another epic fail from Timmy Doncaster Sheffield Airport (http://flydsa.co.uk/latest-news/new-route-to-debrecen-hungary-announced)

TOM1747
18th May 2018, 08:08
Good to see Wizz replacing the routes lost with another, Debrecen, Hungary. Granted for the winter season but its better than nothing. Did they operate Budapest from DSA at any stage? So popular at the moment as a destination, I'm sure it would have high pax from DSA.

My bug with DSA is route retention, Berlin for example going with Flybe, such a shame.

johnnychips
18th May 2018, 18:28
No, Wizz have never operated from Doncaster to Budapest. Debrecen seems an unusual choice as there seem - I might be wrong - to be less Hungarian residents in Yorkshire and the adjacent counties than from other eastern European countries; and routes from Kosice in Slovakia and Lublin in Poland are to be axed.

Cazza_fly
18th May 2018, 20:44
No, Wizz have never operated from Doncaster to Budapest. Debrecen seems an unusual choice as there seem - I might be wrong - to be less Hungarian residents in Yorkshire and the adjacent counties than from other eastern European countries; and routes from Kosice in Slovakia and Lublin in Poland are to be axed.

There is in fact a relatively substantial Hungarian population in the Doncaster and surrounding areas. I believe it to pre-date the increase of the Polish nationals moving to the UK of more recent times. I presume Wizzair will have completed sufficient enough market research to at least see it fit for them to give the route a go.

As for the Lublin and Kosice routes being "axed", a reminder that they were discontinued due to Wizzair closing down those bases.

johnnychips
18th May 2018, 22:23
Sorry if my post appeared to be negative - it wasn't. I don't know about Lublin, but there is a relatively substantial population in Doncaster and its surrounds from eastern Slovakia, so I would have thought the route from Kosice would be popular (yes I know about yields v loading) and I thought maybe Wizz could have done a W-flight pattern to serve it. Still, if they've fallen out with Kosice airport...I tried finding out about Hungarian-born people in Yorkshire and got a great headache trying to penetrate census figures. All I managed was that there are about 30 000 Hungarian-born people in England who live outside London and the south-east, which is a lot less than other eastern European nationalities. I just wonder why they chose to serve DSA from Debrecen rather than Budapest - maybe no competition. Good luck to it!

Barnstable
21st May 2018, 13:03
DSA offers flights to Bucharest, but not Budapest.

Debrechen isn't too far from Budapest, the airport has decent road connections, and it's under two hours by road to Budapest. If you're wanting to go to Budapest, Debrechen would be an option if the price was right

Plane.Silly
21st May 2018, 13:06
Sounds like the bait-and-switch tactics Ryanair used to make...

limited_sight
25th May 2018, 11:11
As already observed (#159) Flybe's W18 programme for DSA looks very thin. They started with 2 E95s in S16. In S18 it is down to 2 E75s. Their plan is to base an (underutilised) E75(?) in W18 but to me it looks like that most of these routes can be served with aircraft based somewhere else (as they do in EMA, NWI and LCY).

TOM1747
5th Jun 2018, 09:00
Winter 18 will no doubt be as sparse as Winter 17. That's my concern for the airport. With TUI operating 1 or 2 flights per day and Flybe offering 2 maybe 3 flights. People still travel out of Summer season, its always so annoying having to go Leeds or Manchester to get anywhere.

I am surprised Ryan Air haven't jumped on these routes from DSA as there is a demand for none package holiday flights out of Summer Seasons.

Tenerife South (Previously Operated)
Las Palmas
Arrecife
Alicante (Previously Operated)
Faro (Previously Operated -I think)
Malaga

City Break routes

Pisa (Previously Operated)
Rome
Budapest
Berlin

Flybe problem is they are too expensive, For example This year it worked out cheaper for me to go on the train to Manchester and get an Easyjet flight to Berlin and in September its again cheaper for me to get the train to Manchester and fly to Dublin. I really want to fly from DSA but I refuse to pay silly money. When speaking to family and friends they are often saying the same.

Barnstable
5th Jun 2018, 18:56
Same here, I'm flying into MAN and out of EMA in a couple of weeks. I'd love to use DSA all the time but sometimes you just can't argue with the prices.

Incidentally, stage 2 of the link road was due to open in April wasn't it? It still isn't open unless I missed something.

egcntristar
5th Jun 2018, 19:32
Carillon collapsing is what happened. It was taken over by Tarmac and is pretty much complete and will be open within the next few weeks. Then that will be both stages of the M18 link complete through to the airport front door.

Incidentally, well done to the airport cargo team. In addition to the regular scheduled heavies there has been a lot of ad hoc heavies recently (5 today alone) for specialist contracts (F1, bands, auto). It's doing no-ones reputation any harm with the success.

limited_sight
5th Jun 2018, 19:50
Sure, prices are important factors. In addition the proximity to various other airports is what causes here the competitive environment. And this might be what makes the difference compared to other regional airports where flybe is more successful.

Would you consider flying more often from DSA once the new link road is open?

Barnstable
5th Jun 2018, 21:59
Sure, prices are important factors. In addition the proximity to various other airports is what causes here the competitive environment. And this might be what makes the difference compared to other regional airports where flybe is more successful.

Would you consider flying more often from DSA once the new link road is open?

Link road phase 2 is (without checking) only about a mile long and will only save an additional 2-3 minutes at a guess compared to the current route - but it is important as the existing route can get clogged with local traffic. I doubt the completion of phase 2 will, in itself, cause more people to use DSA but you can bet that it will be well publicised.

When phase one opened they said that Sheffield city centre (Park Square) was just 25 minutes away, which is correct if you drive at the speed limit and don't hit traffic on the Parkway. It follows that when phase 2 opens an extra couple of minutes should be lopped off that journey time. Not sure about driving from Donny, but the traffic is normally fairly heavy in the town that side of the M18

Groundloop
6th Jun 2018, 08:40
I am surprised Ryan Air haven't jumped on these routes from DSA as there is a demand for none package holiday flights out of Summer Seasons.

Tenerife South (Previously Operated)
Las Palmas
Arrecife
Alicante (Previously Operated)
Faro (Previously Operated -I think)
Malaga

City Break routes

Pisa (Previously Operated)
Rome
Budapest
Berlin

How do you know there is "demand"? If there was enough demand why were certain routes that you listed dropped? BTW, the airline is called Ryanair.

TOM1747
6th Jun 2018, 19:53
I don't,I was just making conversation in the group. Also, if there is a spelling mistake of an Airline, its not intentional so no need to flag up trying to put someone down. Thank you

EGPO
6th Jun 2018, 23:22
I don't,I was just making conversation in the group. Also, if there is a spelling mistake of an Airline, its not intentional so no need to flag up trying to put someone down. Thank you

Quite rudeness on this site is quite shocking tbh.
I wonder if people would have the nerve to speak to someone like that in person .
Id say not imho.
I understood what you meant , modern auto correct can change as you hit post .
It's a known glitch in Firefox and other Browsers especially on Android.

Groundloop
7th Jun 2018, 08:52
I don't,I was just making conversation in the group.

You clearly stated "there IS demand" - for which you have now admitted you have no evidence. If you were just making conversation perhaps you should have worded it as "there COULD be demand". Call me old-fashioned (well, actually, I am old fashioned) but there is too much these days of opinions being presented as fact - particularly on-line.

Trav a la
7th Jun 2018, 12:03
I flew out on the following Flybe departure to AGP last year when I couldn't get flights from MAN, LPL, LBA or EMA due to all being either fully booked or mega high prices. The surprise was, not only was it very cheap but it was only about one third full. It seems that demand is not that high.

Mon 17 Jul 2017 BE4427Doncaster Sheffield to Malaga15:3019:30

G-FORZ
7th Jun 2018, 13:09
There are some deals, but cheapest DSA-ALC for Jun/Jul this year £140 return with BE, competing with lowest fares LBA £109, EMA £71 all chasing same catchment. There is demand but at half the price most Yorkshire folk will travel 45 minutes down the road to EMA

limited_sight
7th Jun 2018, 20:36
There are some deals, but cheapest DSA-ALC for Jun/Jul this year £140 return with BE, competing with lowest fares LBA £109, EMA £71 all chasing same catchment. There is demand but at half the price most Yorkshire folk will travel 45 minutes down the road to EMA

For leisure routes this sounds very plausible. But even for domestic/european destinations the share of time sensitive business passengers does not seem to be high enough to make higher frequencies or more routes viable.

EGPO
7th Jun 2018, 21:47
You clearly stated "there IS demand" - for which you have now admitted you have no evidence. If you were just making conversation perhaps you should have worded it as "there COULD be demand". Call me old-fashioned (well, actually, I am old fashioned) but there is too much these days of opinions being presented as fact - particularly on-line.

May I ask with humble respect but are you an expert on demand on the Doncaster area?.
Do you live around there , speak t time talking to locals ?.
Only I know own I have , and many destinations are in demand as some I think but an not sure are or were served .
The point is when served They were very well used , considering poor timings .
Doncaster has had airlines in but does not seem to be able to get together a schedule, that would create ' official ' demand .
But I can swear on the Bible , I've spoken to many before I had to give up work , often working in offices all around the Airport .
It's a favourite local topic, " I wish I could fly to here or there " .
And I've had people complain about anywhere from Athens to Sydney .
The latter I explained is virtually a never category . ( In my humble opinion ).
But the fact is if there was no demand there would not be an airport .
So nitpicking the OP on his choice of exact words , when this is supposed to be a friendly forum , a mix of expert and enthusiast alike , then, the odd slip of the tounge so to speak is just that .
I just feel people get jumped on for suggesting anything on here .
The best case in point was the veciferious flaming of people who would say that one day Flybe , would base an aircraft or two .
It was met with ridicule and posts like this.
I never noted posts apologising when Flybe did just that!.
Budapest is often asked for , Doncaster and region has a strong Hungarian population.
As for the med , I find it odd that there is no demand for more med flights especially through the winter.
Ps I mean no offense , just seems unfair to nitpick someone taking the time to post their opinion , fact or no fact .
Perhaps now as your an expert you can list exactly what routes are in demand and back it up with figures please ?

G-FORZ
14th Jun 2018, 20:52
Given easyJet’s conference contribution at RABA HubLAB (Heathrow regional connectivity) what’s the real chance of EasyJet’s return to DSA?
it would appear Easy are the only uk airline that could base at DSA without diluting regional catchment capacity (FR/LS both have big presence at LBA & EMA). A replication of Easy’s SEN routes would be a massive boost for DSA, yes it would antagonise BE for the low frequency sun routes ALC/AGP/PMI/FAO but don’t those routes have limited life without the E195’s and Peels BE ‘Support’

Barnstable
15th Jun 2018, 10:44
Any more info on what was said by Easyjet execs at RABA NubLAB? I could see EasyJet moving in if Flybe moved out, but haven't Flybe got a propriatory agreement with DSA?

Phase 2 of the link road opened today, sorry no news story as yet

EDIT Presser here - http://flydsa.co.uk/latest-news/great-yorkshire-way-airport-link-road-completed

Barnstable
19th Jun 2018, 13:22
According to the press release they have constructed a cycle path to the airport

G-FORZ
8th Jul 2018, 20:44
When is DSA going to get serious about attracting new/old carriers.
Landed at LBA yesterday with several families from DSA catchment, all saying wish we could fly from DSA.
Makes you wonder what the business development people are actually doing, other than sucking up to TUI and BE who are obviously on some kind of big payback, but stifing any kind of new growth, and are most probably being entertained to maintain their presence. Time for a shake up and implementation of some aspirational ambition from Peel to move forward not just with the incumbents but Easy, Ryanair and KLM. You’ve got a great Airport, now you have great access with the new extended link road, but give people some reason to use it, instead of of it being a road to nowhere ( or a very restricted somewhere).

egcntristar
9th Jul 2018, 07:52
Who says they aren't? Who could seriously come in?

The likes of EasyJet and Ryanair aren't going to come in anytime soon. Maybe Vueling to Barcelona, Thomas Cook to part base or base, Blue Air to copy the LPL format, Norwegian to go over the pond with a 737 or even the long wanted KLM connection.

Other than that it is hard to see anyone wanting to dilute other bases. With the cargo gains maybe that is the way forward for now.

RAFAT
13th Jul 2018, 20:59
As a DSA local I'd hate to see Ryanair or Easyjet there, they scare everyone else off. Any of the others listed above would be great, especially transatlantic ops.

Rob732
14th Jul 2018, 07:10
Quite agree. Perhaps the odd BCN/GRO, but that’s all.

G-FORZ
14th Jul 2018, 18:47
Air travel is a retail commodity,the more products (destinations) & brands (airline choice) you sell and are available (seats, frequency),the more custom you will get,limit brands and you will reduce product offered, and availability and therefore limit the footfall - unless what you sell is unique and cheap.

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2018, 05:42
Air travel is a retail commodity,the more products (destinations) & brands (airline choice) you sell and are available (seats, frequency),the more custom you will get,limit brands and you will reduce product offered, and availability and therefore limit the footfall - unless what you sell is unique and cheap.

But how do you get the brands to make their products available when supply is limited?

G-FORZ
15th Jul 2018, 15:07
But how do you get the brands to make their products available when supply is limited?

My post was in repose to an earlier post suggesting Ryanair and EasyJet would be bad for DSA. The point I was attempting to make was that DSA needs as many brands as possible to be considered a contender for consumer choice. All the best airports have multiple carriers offering similar if not the same routes, but the competition stimulates growth. How are the brands attracted - firstly by offering exactly the same concessions to them as the incumbents. From the outside it appears rightly or wrongly TUI and BE are being protected from competition by Peel in exchange for their commitment to the airport, but this in turn is stifling and prospective growth with new/old carriers. A KLM 2 daily AMS (like at DTV!!! ) would wipe the floor with BE - what’s more Peel know Ryanair can co exist with Easy from their experiences at LPL.

PDXCWL45
15th Jul 2018, 15:13
My post was in repose to an earlier post suggesting Ryanair and EasyJet would be bad for DSA. The point I was attempting to make was that DSA needs as many brands as possible to be considered a contender for consumer choice. All the best airports have multiple carriers offering similar if not the same routes, but the competition stimulates growth. How are the brands attracted - firstly by offering exactly the same concessions to them as the incumbents. From the outside it appears rightly or wrongly TUI and BE are being protected from competition by Peel in exchange for their commitment to the airport, but this in turn is stifling and prospective growth with new/old carriers. A KLM 2 daily AMS (like at DTV!!! ) would wipe the floor with BE - what’s more Peel know Ryanair can co exist with Easy from their experiences at LPL.

That's assuming said carriers are actually interested in DSA or may feel ir would drain away passengers from there other airports. And KLM would be targeting different types of passengers to Flybe

egcntristar
21st Jul 2018, 16:36
Flybe now showing flights up to mid June 2019 for the following.

Amsterdam - Daily
Alicante - 3xweekly
Belfast City - 6xweekly
Dublin - Daily
Jersey - Daily
Paris (CDG) - 2xweekly
Faro - 2xweekly
Malaga - 2xweekly
Newquay - 3xweekly
Palma not showing as yet however was added later previously.

A further phase with new schedule enhancements is expected to be announced in the coming weeks. I wonder due to new deliveries, if there will be a shared aircraft with Cardiff to gain a little expansion. Against what the naysayers expected

PDXCWL45
21st Jul 2018, 16:54
Flybe now showing flights up to mid June 2019 for the following.

Amsterdam - Daily
Alicante - 3xweekly
Belfast City - 6xweekly
Dublin - Daily
Jersey - Daily
Paris (CDG) - 2xweekly
Faro - 2xweekly
Malaga - 2xweekly
Newquay - 3xweekly
Palma not showing as yet however was added later previously.

A further phase with new schedule enhancements is expected to be announced in the coming weeks. I wonder due to new deliveries, if there will be a shared aircraft with Cardiff to gain a little expansion. Against what the naysayers expected
With Cardiff they mentioned a 4th aircraft and mentioned Spain if they do then PMI on a W pattern could be possible and i wonder if they could be tempted to do something similar like they operate with Exeter and Norwich? So CWL-PMI-DSA-CWL then CWL-DSA-PMI-CWL. It would give both airports a new domestic route and provide revenue on what would normally be empty sectors .

G-FORZ
5th Aug 2018, 20:45
According to facebook page new route announcement tomorrow, any gossip?

Would love to think new carrier but "route" would suggest BE winter route re introduction :(

PDXCWL45
5th Aug 2018, 21:58
According to facebook page new route announcement tomorrow, any gossip?

Would love to think new carrier but "route" would suggest BE winter route re introduction :(

Or TUI launching Cancun? They did lauch Orlando and Cancun is popular.

toledoashley
6th Aug 2018, 09:35
Looks like its Wizz - to Budapest.

egcntristar
6th Aug 2018, 09:56
Looks like its Wizz - to Budapest.

3 x weekly MWF starting 29 Oct, more convenient departure times than other Wizz flights.

egcntristar
8th Aug 2018, 19:45
The Childrens Air Ambulance have plans for a new hangar to be built later the year to be situated alongside Hangar 3.

There are also plans for a larger hangar opposite Hangar 3, on the other side of the freight apron, to be large enough to hold two B 767s...

​​​

Barnstable
29th Aug 2018, 18:25
Loads of Ryanair planes taking off and landing this week apparently. Presume it's pilot training.

Cazza_fly
29th Aug 2018, 19:27
Loads of Ryanair planes taking off and landing this week apparently. Presume it's pilot training.

I wouldn't say "loads of Ryanair planes"... There's been a singular 737-700 (EI-SEV) doing base training circuits. Admittedly for long hours on most days for the past few weeks. Despite it being summer, it looks like the perfect airport for it, plenty of space and clearance.

egcntristar
1st Oct 2018, 17:14
Further to my post 199, Hanger 3a planning application has now been approved by the council for the Childrens Air Ambulance. Work to start soon.

EGPO
1st Oct 2018, 17:49
Along with an extension to the Terminal and 3 gate bridges .

N707ZS
1st Oct 2018, 21:36
Have they stated where the funding is coming from for the terminal and gate bridges?

canberra97
1st Oct 2018, 21:58
Regarding these so called proposed 3 gate bridges, are we referring to Air Bridges?

Cazza_fly
1st Oct 2018, 22:33
Regarding these so called proposed 3 gate bridges, are we referring to Air Bridges?

Yes. The request states for a mixture. So air bridges and step bridges, the latter being what are already used. They will certainly need them in use for next summer as well as to show proof that they are able to accommodate any further expansion in the near future - either from current airlines or new operators. I believe they currently have 3 step-bridge gates and one ground level gate area. So that's only 4 boarding gates with a potential of at least 5 being needed for first wave morning departures next summer alone. I don't believe Swissport have buses at DSA which would be the only alternate option. Boarding from one gate area and then busing passengers onto remote stands?

Barnstable
3rd Oct 2018, 18:28
July and August PAX showing not insignificant falls compared to last year. I suspect Wizz loads may be down.

MDS
4th Oct 2018, 08:47
July and August PAX showing not insignificant falls compared to last year. I suspect Wizz loads may be down.

I suspect this is due to a reduction in BE's capacity to 2x E175 (88 pax) compared to the E195 previous years (118 pax).

Interesting as all AGP-DSA-AGP sectors I've been on between June-September this year were at 100% capacity. I can't comment on FAO/ALC/PMI.

EGPO
4th Oct 2018, 12:00
Yes. The request states for a mixture. So air bridges and step bridges, the latter being what are already used. They will certainly need them in use for next summer as well as to show proof that they are able to accommodate any further expansion in the near future - either from current airlines or new operators. I believe they currently have 3 step-bridge gates and one ground level gate area. So that's only 4 boarding gates with a potential of at least 5 being needed for first wave morning departures next summer alone. I don't believe Swissport have buses at DSA which would be the only alternate option. Boarding from one gate area and then busing passengers onto remote stands?

Just to clarify these are NOT airbridges, they are the same ' Gate Bridges ' albiet now wheelchair and disabled friendly with the inclusion of lifts . Im unsure if in future they can be converted to an airbridge .
The mind boggles who's idea it was to not have an airbridge on the alocated ' large aircraft stand '

SWBKCB
4th Oct 2018, 12:09
The mind boggles who's idea it was to not have an airbridge on the allocated ' large aircraft stand '

Whoever was paying for it? How many large (pax!) aircraft does DSA get?

Cazza_fly
4th Oct 2018, 12:53
I suspect this is due to a reduction in BE's capacity to 2x E175 (88 pax) compared to the E195 previous years (118 pax).

Interesting as all AGP-DSA-AGP sectors I've been on between June-September this year were at 100% capacity. I can't comment on FAO/ALC/PMI.

This of course has had an impact, however the largest decrease has come from Wizzair. This is with the loss of 2x weekly SOF, the closure of LUZ and KSC bases and a return to the A320 vs A321 on the GDN route. On top of this, the weekly TCX A321 route to PMI didn't operate this year either. The decrease was mitigated slightly by additional TUI holiday flights and new destinations. Although i do think many of these flights could have seen higher load factors and were probably impacted slightly on this by the good weather here in the UK.

Although lots can change, next summers schedule could possibly be the busiest ever for DSA. Wizzair has new routes to BUD and DEB as well increased frequencies on many existing routes, namely KTW which is going daily for most part of this period at the moment. TUI with a 3rd based 737 aircraft and a weekly 787 flight to SFB. Then there's Flybe who will release their "finalised" summer 19 schedule in the next few weeks. There's definitely a few gaps im the schedule to fill with a new route or additional frequencies on an existing route(s) if they see fit.

EGPO
4th Oct 2018, 15:01
Whoever was paying for it? How many large (pax!) aircraft does DSA get?

Next year a 787 and they do get TUI 767 so those would be better served by an airbridge.
Plus the airport by its own admission is chasing long haul .
So logic might be to have an Airbridge .
Based on the chicken and egg theory .
If that makes sense .
Besides they wouldn't be making these changes if they weren't a prerequisite for some airlines ..

egcntristar
4th Oct 2018, 21:09
It's looking likely that another scheduled cargo contract could be in the offing in the not too distant future.

G-FORZ
12th Oct 2018, 19:13
So anyone dynamic lined up to replace Steven Gill?

egcntristar
2nd Nov 2018, 12:20
TUI adding/reinstating Cancun weekly from Summer 2020 on the 787, this in addition to the weekly Sanford for 2019.

Just Puerto Plata and then its as good as 2008.

MDS
2nd Nov 2018, 13:30
TUI 787 visiting on Nov 8th inbound from AGP at 22:40.

TUI7483 can't find any info as to why. No information on outbound sector.

Cazza_fly
2nd Nov 2018, 16:41
TUI 787 visiting on Nov 8th inbound from AGP at 22:40.

TUI7483 can't find any info as to why. No information on outbound sector.

It's the end of a TUI/Marella cruise season and it will be bringing pax back to the UK. Nothing more. There is no outbound flight other than the normal service on the 737. The aircraft will reposition back to another base after arrival more than likely.

shamrock7seal
21st Nov 2018, 12:42
New Kraków services with Wizz air announced 3 times weekly effective 2 May 2019. Pretty strong offering now from DSA. Good vote of confdience in the airport. Amazes me that Ryanair doesn’t see any use for a base here.

rpmac
21st Nov 2018, 13:48
LBA offers flights to Krakow as well as Gdansk, Warsaw etc, plus many more routes. I cannot see Ryanair starting anything again out of DSA for the foreseeable future.
Depending on how Brexit works out it might be that Wizzair cut back some flights.

Robert-Ryan
21st Nov 2018, 15:03
Given DSAs improving fortunes across commercial, freight and GA, I am surprised to hear that it continues to haemorrhage millions per year. The claim by DTVA that the reason for that airport axing charter flights was down to them having to subsidise said flights to the tune of £10k per rotation was largely ridiculed, but it seems DSA is living proof that the theory is correct :ouch:

I hope things continue to improve for you guys!

egcntristar
22nd Nov 2018, 17:08
Wizz continues to be a hit at DSA, 38 departures weekly at its peak next summer plus some A321 services. Katowice and the new Krakow service running concurrently is quite impressive. I know Lviv was discussed years ago, so with Wizz Ukraine restarting it may happen.

Bucharest 3xweekly
Budapest 3xweekly
Cluj 3xweekly
Debrecen 2xweekly
Gdansk 4xweekly (5xweekly during summer)
Katowice 6xweekly (Daily during summer)
Krakow 3xweekly
Poznan 3xweekly
Riga 3xweekly
Vilnius 2xweekly
Warsaw 3xweekly (4xweekly during summer)

egcntristar
27th Nov 2018, 14:14
On top of the above Wizz are now basing another A321 in Bucharest so that will be going from 3 to 5xweekly.

Sharklet_321
28th Nov 2018, 01:50
If Brexit wasn't happening then Wizz would continue to exand but after Brexit and the ending of free movement how sustainable is their network from DSA and other UK airports?

EGPO
28th Nov 2018, 14:23
Well given that half of the offerings are routed to previously unserved destinations that the airport was seeking for anyone to take ' city breaks ' or business visits
The rest I think it's safe to say that the migrant population will be staying as part of the Brexit deal protects the right to remain in whatever country after Brexit .
I doubt the Airline that had had its tough times financially would open new routes if it didn't think they could fill a large Airbus .
Besides one route is going to be an A321 and from 3x weekly to five X weekly but with my illness affecting my memory I cannot recall which route .
However I'd hope to see the mainstream Irlinez buy up the Airbus A220-100/300 on routes that don't quite fill the Airbus 320/21 etc

SWBKCB
28th Nov 2018, 14:35
Brexit or not, the usual pattern when new members join is for migration to increase as people from the new members look to increase their income by moving and then for it to decrease as living standards increase "back home" - this pattern has been followed by all accessions back to Spain and Portugal. The relative value of the pound and the Euro also has an impact.

Rob732
9th Dec 2018, 10:26
Don’t know about yields, but every time I’ve been on the route it’s always been over half full. The last being 68. A fair number checking in hold luggage too.

OwnNav
21st Dec 2018, 20:35
Was that the first 787 in to DSA , NRS Gatwick probs
(still prefer Finningley)

Cazza_fly
21st Dec 2018, 23:44
Was that the first 787 in to DSA , NRS Gatwick probs
(still prefer Finningley)

No. TUI have operated them on winter charters to the Caribbean for the past few years. Infact one was in just a few weeks ago from Malaga too.

Falcon666
17th Jan 2019, 17:54
Wizzair

New route Timisoara. 2 wkly from 3rd September 2019

Alwayslistening
10th Feb 2019, 18:52
How are Flybe routes performing this year, is Belfast doing ok?

From what I have seen/been told, all the Flybe routes are doing well - some for the best loads on the Flybe network. What happens moving forward with their takeover however remains to be seen....

Barnstable
18th Feb 2019, 16:04
If the routes have been performing well, DSA will hopefully still feature in the plans of the rebranded FlyBe

egcntristar
4th Mar 2019, 15:03
Air Cargo News reporting Cargologicair are to start flights from DSA. This coupled with the continued increase in Nairobi widebody cargo flights will keep a good stream of non EU business at DSA..

EGPO
4th Mar 2019, 22:23
Air Cargo News reporting Cargologicair are to start flights from DSA. This coupled with the continued increase in Nairobi widebody cargo flights will keep a good stream of non EU business at DSA..

Hi do you please have a link ? And any idea when it starts ?.

egcntristar
10th Mar 2019, 21:58
Should be in the next week.

One route should be IAH-DSA-FRA-DWC-HKG other should be ORD-DSA-SVO-HKG or some variation.

EGPO
10th Mar 2019, 23:04

One route should be IAH-DSA-FRA-DWC-HKG other should be ORD-DSA-SVO-HKG or some variation.

Thank you for the info/update.
Their press release says it's to be a Hub.
We might finally have struck lucky if it was at least one based 747. But if reckon on more ..

ATNotts
11th Mar 2019, 08:17
Thank you for the info/update.
Their press release says it's to be a Hub.
We might finally have struck lucky if it was at least one based 747. But if reckon on more ..

Lazy / incompetent journalists (delete which not applicable!) often use the word "hub" to describe anything but - often spokes. Great news for DSA though, and right under the noses of the country's principal cargo airport - EMA. One in the eye for MAG!

EGPO
11th Mar 2019, 11:36
Lazy / incompetent journalists (delete which not applicable!) often use the word "hub" to describe anything but - often spokes. Great news for DSA though, and right under the noses of the country's principal cargo airport - EMA. One in the eye for MAG!

Agreed , there was a poster on the EMA forum admitting and also bemoaning how DSA ( how one can say this about an airport having one dual carriageway and a a motorway ( though sadly a section famous for all the wrong reasons ), anyway he said DSA Is better connected ( maybe it is with the proposed rail terminal), I mean the new ' HS2 ' goes right under the Airport terminal at EMA. How they didn't secure a subterranean rail stop is beyond me .

But I digress , anyway the poster having praised DSA he said it had a better catchment than EMA but kept ' Poaching , Eg TUI, I think he meant 'Lomghaul' , from under the airport's nose.

It would be nice for a ' standard carrier ' like a loco to serve DSA, plus a few Niche routes .
And I understand reading the latest ' Routes shop ' DSA is still chasing ABZ and Dubai.
( The latter easily now servable by Wizzair ).

But as they say onwards and upwards , I'm.still hoping we are getting a ' Based aircraft ,that article was more of a press release.'.

egcntristar
22nd Mar 2019, 19:59
DSA being utilized for an aid flight again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-aid-to-fly-heavy-lifting-gear-to-cyclone-hit-airport-in-mozambique--2

davidjpowell
24th Mar 2019, 18:56
DSA being utilized for an aid flight again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-aid-to-fly-heavy-lifting-gear-to-cyclone-hit-airport-in-mozambique--2

Interesting day... 747 and Antonov 124 parked next to each other.

egcntristar
2nd Apr 2019, 17:53

Four flights per week according to the below interview. Prestwick has already started at two so no reason to dispute it - just waiting for the start.

https://www.aircargonews.net/airlines/freighter-operator/cargologicair-chief-executive-david-kerr-has-a-brexit-plan/

TimmyW
3rd Apr 2019, 07:45
I guess the big question now for the future of DSA is whether anyone is going to come in and fill the gap left by Flybe?

This loss will be several hundred thousand passengers per year.

I just can't see who. Easyjet maybe?