View Full Version : Gatwick-2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Blakedean
5th Dec 2018, 23:08
completely nonsense i'd say.
the resultant is Ryanair axe LGW to SNN, ORK and ALC are ramp up LGW DUB at outrageous prices, just like over a decade ago when easyJet came to ORK, SNN and NOC. That said it feels like easyJet have come into their own are more resilient of late versus Ryanair...
Couldn’t see Ryanair play that silly game again, there too smart to axe all flights from ORK & SNN to LGW. Anyway the rumour came from someone confusing their Bs with their Ss it seems.

racedo
6th Dec 2018, 11:36
Couldn’t see Ryanair play that silly game again, there too smart to axe all flights from ORK & SNN to LGW. Anyway the rumour came from someone confusing their Bs with their Ss it seems.

Yeah that would make sense.

Skipness One Foxtrot
6th Dec 2018, 16:48
Norwegian B789 taxied along the secondary runway to the *landing* threshold instead of rolling on line up. Would have not ended well had they been forced to abort at V1.
Report: Norwegian UK B789 at London on Mar 28th 2018, began takeoff from incorrect point on runway (http://avherald.com/h?article=4c135b66&opt=0)

DaveReidUK
6th Dec 2018, 17:52
Norwegian B789 taxied along the secondary runway to the *landing* threshold instead of rolling on line up. Would have not ended well had they been forced to abort at V1.
Report: Norwegian UK B789 at London on Mar 28th 2018, began takeoff from incorrect point on runway (http://avherald.com/h?article=4c135b66&opt=0)

Interesting that the AAIB concluded that the markings at either end of the standby runway were not EASA-compliant.

Musket90
6th Dec 2018, 20:14
The markings. EASA compliant or not, are not really relevant as the event occurred at night. Maybe they will have to look at providing "non-compliant" EASA lighting so emphasising where the start of take-off roll is. Night operations and lighting seem to be a contributary factor in pilots occasionally losing situational awareness on close parallel runways.

ib26uk
6th Dec 2018, 23:49
Rumours about easyJet starting a LGW-DUB route?...

Whilst I think thats great and would happily fly it as I love easyJet and Dublin !!

They are starting a LGW-DUS route in favour of the LGW-ABZ route.... Got me thinking.... Maybe somebody got their wires crossed? DUS over DUB ?...

I will wait for the official announcement regarding Dublin before I genuinely believe it

_aax1
7th Dec 2018, 00:02
Rumours about easyJet starting a LGW-DUB route?...

Whilst I think thats great and would happily fly it as I love easyJet and Dublin !!

They are starting a LGW-DUS route in favour of the LGW-ABZ route.... Got me thinking.... Maybe somebody got their wires crossed? DUS over DUB ?...

I will wait for the official announcement regarding Dublin before I genuinely believe it

I think it was just someone confusing B with S. If EZY were to start DUB they would need similar prime slots as DUS and I can’t see any other routes being sacrificed for a risky DUB launch. Shame about ABZ either way

LGS6753
12th Dec 2018, 09:29
https://blueswandaily.com/london-calling-more-slots-available-in-summer-2019-despite-increasing-capital-congestion/

_aax1
13th Dec 2018, 10:02
EZY New Routes

Jerez - Begins 2nd April, 3 weekly
Zadar - Begins 30th April, 2 weekly

True Blue
19th Dec 2018, 10:22
New Wizzair route - Cluj-Napoca. Daily from 31st march 19. Wizzair seem to be taking a bigger interest in Gatwick.

strawberry Ribena
19th Dec 2018, 21:21
A Reported drone is causing diverts for inbounds and outbounds are stuck on stand

c52
19th Dec 2018, 22:40
Good to see that the Gatwick website is showing this information even before the BBC or FR24 - or at least, it would be good if it did. At all.

Buster the Bear
19th Dec 2018, 22:42
Closed until 0300. Multiple diversions, several PAN calls and an exceptionally busy LTMA.

tophat27dt
20th Dec 2018, 06:16
Closed until 0300. Multiple diversions, several PAN calls and an exceptionally busy LTMA.
Its 0715. No LGW departures yet. Inbounds diverting to Machester, Amsterdam, Paris and Cardiff. Must be hell.

daz211
20th Dec 2018, 07:01
I really don’t understand, a post on Twitter in the last hour, all flights suspended due to a large drone STILL ACTIVE over the airfield, Now this drone must have a huge battery and a very sleepy operator, or it’s not a drone and something else is going on, I’m sorry this doesn’t make sense to me at all, yes stop traffic for a hour but we are talking 24hrs.
sorry I’m not buying it.

El Bunto
20th Dec 2018, 07:05
The level of stupidity of some people is utterly staggering. Hope the idiot is caught and charged the full cost of all delays and diverts.

Yes the drone operators were irresponsible ( if they actually existed ) but I think the majority of diversions were due to a police helicopter bimbling around the TMA searching for the drones...

Surely by 2019 we can think of a better response than closing an airport for six hours and running around like headless chickens.

compton3bravo
20th Dec 2018, 07:33
Now closed until at least 1000hrs!

chaps1954
20th Dec 2018, 08:08
There has got to be more to this

HH6702
20th Dec 2018, 08:10
Flight radar shows extra vehicles on the runway and taxi ways etc

LiamNCL
20th Dec 2018, 08:11
BA2256 ANU-LGW (Diverted NCL) First we have took i think.

tophat27dt
20th Dec 2018, 08:14
There has got to be more to this
What if...this larger drone sighted has 24 hours battery...and the culprit pilot has a spare one waiting...this could go on for ages. Is there anyway a police drone in the air could sense an operator on the ground apart from visual means?

compton3bravo
20th Dec 2018, 08:32
Opening put back again to 1100hrs. Would not be surprised if easy and Norwegian cancel all flights today and start afresh tomorrow.

ImPlaneCrazy
20th Dec 2018, 09:12
DI7016 JFK-LGW diverted into DSA.
DI7058 MCO-LGW looks to be heading to DUB.
VS44 LAS-LGW heading into LHR.

Also noticed the Aurigny jet from GCI has just left for LGW, any idea why they'd do this if the airfield is currently closed?

TCAS FAN
20th Dec 2018, 09:30
DI7016

Also noticed the Aurigny jet from GCI has just left for LGW, any idea why they'd do this if the airfield is currently closed?

Just passed NEDUL descending through 9000 FT on a north east track - SOU?

tophat27dt
20th Dec 2018, 09:45
DI7016 JFK-LGW diverted into DSA.
DI7058 MCO-LGW looks to be heading to DUB.
VS44 LAS-LGW heading into LHR.

Aurigny using common sense...land at Southampton. Same as RYR are doing...diverting to STN

DND delivery
20th Dec 2018, 09:50
Opening put back again to 1100hrs. Would not be surprised if easy and Norwegian cancel all flights today and start afresh tomorrow.

There are going to be a lot of frustrated passengers today. Hope it doesn’t happen again just before Christmas when I’ll be trying to visit family!

It’ll take a while for the airlines to reposition all the diverted flights back in to LGW once it reopens.

ImPlaneCrazy
20th Dec 2018, 09:58
And not to mention all of the crew that are now out of hours/out of position, I can see quite a few Christmas rosters changing as a result of this.

AirportPlanner1
20th Dec 2018, 09:59
Aurigny using common sense...land at Southampton. Same as RYR are doing...diverting to STN

“Common sense” only really works if you’re not LGW-based, have infrastructure in place elsewhere to facilitate this and capacity is available. There aren’t many LGW operators with that luxury.

bycrewlgw
20th Dec 2018, 10:09
Is it me being an old cynic or is there something else going on at LGW? I mean it’s still on going. How much battery does the drone have? Why are certain flights landing but many others cancelled an diverted. I know about crew hours and displacement etc but seems strange...

and yes yes I know safety is the number one priority

gilesdavies
20th Dec 2018, 10:16
Drones flying over the airport is a joke, how can this be allowed to affect so many people?!

The military should have been bought in last night to bring down these drones and the people piloting them. Anti aircraft missiles and tomahawk missiles would have resolved this in minutes.

ImPlaneCrazy
20th Dec 2018, 10:37
Is it me being an old cynic or is there something else going on at LGW? I mean it’s still on going. How much battery does the drone have? Why are certain flights landing but many others cancelled an diverted. I know about crew hours and displacement etc but seems strange...

and yes yes I know safety is the number one priority

I don't believe there has been any aircraft land since late yesterday evening.

Asturias56
20th Dec 2018, 10:37
and where would all this hardware fall pray? As someone who was in LGW all yesterday on business I'm all for catching these idiots but I don't want to have to cower under the table as bits of shrapnel rain down......

bycrewlgw
20th Dec 2018, 10:41
I don't believe there has been any aircraft land since late yesterday evening.

may cool flight radar reporting a couple have landed but not always accurate.

lotus1
20th Dec 2018, 10:54
Very busy at Heathrow today hope they catch the idiot with drone should have kept manston open it was a diversion airport lots of crews use to like popping in hear pity lydd couldn't pick up a few small aircraft like atr72 or emb190

tophat27dt
20th Dec 2018, 11:10
may cool flight radar reporting a couple have landed but not always accurate.
No arrivals

FLYAIR10
20th Dec 2018, 20:12
hear pity lydd couldn't pick up a few small aircraft like atr72 or emb190

What would the reason why Lydd-airport could not pick-up some of the diversions? Only some 70 miles from LGW and some potential to handle at least a few diversions from LGW and/or LCY,or not?

willl05
20th Dec 2018, 20:40
lotus1 (https://www.pprune.org/members/187496-lotus1)
"the idiot with drone should have kept manston open"
Punctuation is your friend.

Wycombe
20th Dec 2018, 20:45
What would the reason why Lydd-airport could not pick-up some of the diversions?

No proper airline handling, inadequate fire-cover, lack of ground handling equipment - guessing Lydd has none of this, ground transportation to move the pax - shall I go on?

LiamNCL
20th Dec 2018, 22:24
easyjet A320 just left gate / did a taxi to 26L as if it was going to take off , rolled down the runway at about 20kts to the first exit and went back the take off point at 26L again then just went back to its gate.

Strange stuff

konaman
20th Dec 2018, 22:26
drawing fire?

LiamNCL
20th Dec 2018, 22:35
drawing fire?

looks like it may well be to try and lure them back over the airfield.

Skipness One Foxtrot
21st Dec 2018, 01:24
Air Transat have joined Westjet at Gatwick North as of 7th November, freeing up another heavy gate for DI/BA!

toledoashley
21st Dec 2018, 04:59
Thomas Cook just landed?

bunatern
21st Dec 2018, 05:00
Yes just landed China eastern to follow

Vokes55
21st Dec 2018, 09:46
New Wizzair route - Cluj-Napoca. Daily from 31st march 19. Wizzair seem to be taking a bigger interest in Gatwick.

Gatwick is crying out for a Warsaw route besides easyJet's meager three-weekly seasonal offering.

gilesdavies
21st Dec 2018, 12:53
Air Transat have joined Westjet at Gatwick North as of 7th November, freeing up another heavy gate for DI/BA!

China Airlines A350-900 - CI69/70 service to Taipai is on the ground for around 6 hours, from arrival to departure. Does that occupy a gate for the whole six hours, or do they we tug it out to a remote stand?

Between 3pm and 9pm, is right before and after the evening rush hour, and quite a valuable time for an aircraft to occupying one of the south terminal's stands.

sergy2k
21st Dec 2018, 16:27
Flightradar showing loads of aircraft circling or diverting away...

ImPlaneCrazy
21st Dec 2018, 16:40
All ops suspended due to drone activity... again. :eek:

strawberry Ribena
21st Dec 2018, 19:34
China Airlines A350-900 - CI69/70 service to Taipai is on the ground for around 6 hours, from arrival to departure. Does that occupy a gate for the whole six hours, or do they we tug it out to a remote stand?

Between 3pm and 9pm, is right before and after the evening rush hour, and quite a valuable time for an aircraft to occupying one of the south terminal's stands.

it remains at the gate the whole time. Only the Cathay gets towed during peak hours.

Wycombe
22nd Dec 2018, 18:34
Norwegian using the HiFly 380 to JFK this evening, presumably to clear pax backlog.

lotus1
23rd Dec 2018, 14:39
More news for Gatwick today I see VS43 had to come back engine problems runway was closed for a while fire engines out quite a few unhappy gamblers virgin running around to get another plane ready .Not Gatwicks week

compton3bravo
27th Dec 2018, 07:42
Just been announced that French airports company Vinci have bought a 50.1 per cent interest in the airport for £2.9bn from GIP. The deal should be completed by the middle of next year.

LTNman
27th Dec 2018, 08:28
That will upset the remoaners that the French are buying into the UK post Brexit.

inOban
27th Dec 2018, 09:00
Because the fall in the £ makes UK assets cheap. And they're gambling that we eventually won't leave anyway?

Expatrick
27th Dec 2018, 09:49
That will upset the remoaners that the French are buying into the UK post Brexit.

Suspect that it will upset the brexitwits far more, not exactly "taking back control"!

VickersVicount
27th Dec 2018, 11:14
EDI next for GIP to offload if theyre going (relatively) cheap?

daz211
27th Dec 2018, 16:19
Suspect that it will upset the brexitwits far more, not exactly "taking back control"!
Didn’t they buy it from an American company and not a British company.

Skipness One Foxtrot
28th Dec 2018, 01:28
Look in the mirror we brexiteers have no worries about private companies spending their money here, take the playground garbage to JetBlast x
Someone's poor fortune is another's opportunity. it's hardly going well in the Eurozone, the world econonic cycle looks like it's due for another downturn shortly.
easyJet are now, in their own words. "Brexit ready", but I wonder how well Norwegian will deal with the coming downturn?

El Bunto
28th Dec 2018, 06:40
Vinci already own Belfast International, so they know the UK market. They seem a reasonable bunch of managers, they ran a Spotter's Day back in November which was poorly advertised but at least showed an outgoing mindset.

PAXboy
28th Dec 2018, 18:44
No wonder there was all the fuss about the standby runway being available for extra departures. :hmm:

True Blue
28th Dec 2018, 21:46
Considering the UK is going to turn to a dust bowl if we dare to Brexit, I am most surprised that a French company is buying into Lgw. Do they not understand they could lose all their investment? Or do they think it might not be as bad as the doom mongers would have us believe? Bit of a statement, isn't it?

bycrewlgw
28th Dec 2018, 22:15
Considering the UK is going to turn to a dust bowl if we dare to Brexit, I am most surprised that a French company is buying into Lgw. Do they not understand they could lose all their investment? Or do they think it might not be as bad as the doom mongers would have us believe? Bit of a statement, isn't it?

i very much doubt that foreign ownership rules will change to be fair. Too much of our infrastructure and utilities are foreign owned. We’d never be able to afford to buy them back. Also, as they say Britain is open for business. I’m still hoping that we’ll put a stop to it before it actually happens....

SealinkBF
29th Dec 2018, 03:48
Vinci already own Belfast International,

I fear for Gatwick if BFS is what they think is a well run airport!

Manx
29th Dec 2018, 18:40

I'm quite optimistic about Brexit. Whilst most are negative, none of the actual predications have been 'that' bad. The worst case predictions would obviously be best avoided.

I keep reading that there were bad predictions but I feel that's die hard Leavers preparing to tell the world that even if 25% of people lose their jobs (not a genuine prediction) at least planes haven't fallen out of the skies as per the worst of the fake predictions.

SWBKCB
29th Dec 2018, 19:25
Getting back to Gatwick, Vinci haven't been involved with BFS for long so not really a yardstick. Gatwick is a certainly a level above their current operations though

True Blue
29th Dec 2018, 19:54
Turkish Airlines seem to be pretty content with Lgw. Next summer they will operate to Istanbul, 2 airports, Ankara, Antalya and Bodrum. Wonder if Dalaman and Izmir might make an appearance for them at some point?

True Blue
30th Dec 2018, 11:35
Turkish adding 4 weekly to the new Istanbul airport from early February.

DaveReidUK
30th Dec 2018, 12:05
Turkish adding 4 weekly to the new Istanbul airport from early February.

I'll be amazed if that happens on time.

Navpi
3rd Jan 2019, 07:16
Drone Dome removed?

I see all the military grade stuff has now been removed!

What on earth was that BUFFOON Grayling on about when he said 10 days ago ALL our major airports including LGW were "being" protected ?

I must confess I was highly suspicious then and even more so now. I assumed this was a wake up call and the coverage of that and indeed other sensitive installations would be protected.

It's absolute bunkum.

So what next ?

c52
3rd Jan 2019, 22:31
Next time it happens it allows Grayling to posture again.

southside bobby
4th Jan 2019, 05:01
Both LGW & LHR have purchased millions of pounds of military-grade anti-drone equipment it is reported.

LGW confirmed two days ago that it has spent £5m on new equipment that is thought to include scanners,jammers & radars.

True Blue
19th Jan 2019, 09:01
Vueling starting Alicante 6x weekly from early April. Flight departs at 9.00pm so not using the slots purchased recently it would seem.

BAladdy
19th Jan 2019, 19:38
Vueling starting Alicante 6x weekly from early April. Flight departs at 9.00pm so not using the slots purchased recently it would seem.
Based on the current schedule for the last week of July 2019 Vueling are planning to operate the following Destinations/frequencies from LGW. Anyone notice any real changes (apart from new ALC route) compared to last summer?.

Alicante - 6 x Weekly (operates daily Friday to Wednesday)
Asturias - 3 x Weekly (operates Tuesday/Thursday/Friday)
Barcelona - 42 x Weekly (operates 6 x daily Thursday to Tuesday, 7 flights on Wednesday)
Bilbao - 1 x daily
Florence - 9 x Weekly (2 x daily Thursday/Sunday, 1 x daily Monday to Wednesday/Friday/Saturday)
Paris (CDG) - 13 x Weekly (3 x daily Thursday/Sunday, 2 x daily Tuesday/Wednesday, 1 x daily Monday, Friday, Saturday)
Rome (FCO) - 2 x Daily

Rutan16
20th Jan 2019, 09:15
It’s almost certain the Vueling slots are being swapped internally with BA holdings as applicable so trying to pin down a specific slot to one in previous season operated and used by someone else is imho fundamentally flawed.

pholling
21st Jan 2019, 08:31
Both LGW & LHR have purchased millions of pounds of military-grade anti-drone equipment it is reported.

LGW confirmed two days ago that it has spent £5m on new equipment that is thought to include scanners,jammers & radars.

It'll be interesting to see how they are going to work the 'jammers' into the mix. Most civil drones operate on the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz spectrum. If they start jamming things it will play all sorts of havoc with lots of domestic devices. WiFi and Bluetooth being the most obvious.

heneghan_j
28th Jan 2019, 13:57
https://simpleflying.com/indias-indigo-to-launch-delhi-to-london-gatwick-flights-in-march-2019/

Not official as of yet, however according to the link it seems likely Indigo will finally commence operations to LGW in March.

BAladdy
28th Jan 2019, 15:31
https://simpleflying.com/indias-indigo-to-launch-delhi-to-london-gatwick-flights-in-march-2019/

Not official as of yet, however according to the link it seems likely Indigo will finally commence operations to LGW in March.
Article published 2 weeks after yours states plans had been dropped.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/01/18/indigo-shelves-european-plans/

fjencl
28th Jan 2019, 18:24
Will BA be using any WET LEASE this summer at LGW

BAladdy
29th Jan 2019, 16:23
BA do not plan to use any wet lease aircraft from lgw this summer

BAladdy
29th Jan 2019, 16:26
Air Moldova is returning to LGW with a 2 x Weekly service to KIV from 07JUN19. Air Moldova last operated from LGW in 2013

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/282671/air-moldova-s19-routes-addition-as-of-28jan19/

racedo
29th Jan 2019, 22:47
BA do not plan to use any wet lease aircraft from lgw this summer

Officially that should always be the response, unofficially if things go tits up who knows but bet they have budgeted for it.

True Blue
4th Mar 2019, 07:13
I see Turkish Airlines has made their new Antalya route daily this summer.

adfly
17th Mar 2019, 23:10
I have put together my usual summary of long haul routes from Gatwick for this coming summer. Please let me know of any corrections.

Air Transat

Calgary - 2 weekly 332
Montreal - 2-3 weekly 313
Toronto - 7-9 weekly 333/332/313
Vancouver - 4-7 weekly 332

British Airways - 14x 772 based

Antigua - 6 weekly
Barbados - 7-10 weekly
Bermuda - 7 weekly
Cancun - 4-5 weekly
Fort Lauderdale - 3 weekly
Grenada - 2 weekly (via UVF)
Kingston - 3-4 weekly
Las Vegas - 5-6 weekly
Lima - 3 weekly
Mauritius - 3 weekly
New York JFK - 7 weekly
Orlando - 13-14 weekly
Port of Spain - 5 weekly (via UVF)
Providenciales - 2 weekly (via ANU)
Punta Cana - 3 weekly
St Kitts - 2 weekly (via ANU)
St Lucia - 7 weekly
San Jose de Costa Rica - 2 weekly
Tampa - 7 weekly
Tobago - 2 weekly (via ANU)
Toronto - 4 weekly

Cathay Pacific

Hong Kong - 7 weekly 359

China Airlines

Taipei - 5 weekly 359

China Eastern Airlines

Shanghai - 3 weekly 332

Emirates

Dubai - 21 weekly 388

Iraqi Airways

Baghdad - 1 weekly 738
Sulaimanyiayah (New/resumed) - 1 weekly 738 (from 28/03)

Norwegian Long Haul - 13x 789 based

Austin - 3 weekly
Boston - 7 weekly
Buenos Aires - 7 weekly
Chicago - 4 weekly
Denver - 3 weekly
Los Angeles - 7-8 weekly
Miami (New) - 7 weekly (from 31/03)
New York JFK - 18-20 weekly
Orlando - 6 weekly
Rio de Janero (New) - 4 weekly (from 31/03)
San Francisco (New) - 5 weekly (from 31/03)
Seattle - 4 weekly
Tampa - 2 weekly

Qatar Airways

Doha - 14-21 weekly 788

Rwandair

Kigali - 3 weekly 332/333 (via BRU)

Thomas Cook Airlines - 1x 332 based

Cancun - 2 weekly
Cayo Coco - 1 weekly
Holguin - 1 weekly
Orlando - 3 weekly

TUI Airways - 1x 788, 2x 789 based (?)

Aruba - 1 weekly 787
Boa Vista - 4 weekly 752
Cancun - 6 weekly 787
Liberia - 1 weekly 787
Mauritius - 1 weekly 787
Montego Bay - 3 weekly 787
Orlando Sanford - 2 weekly 787
Puerto Vallarta - 1 weekly 787
Punta Cana - 3 weekly 787
Sal - 2 weekly 752
St Lucia - 1 weekly 787

Virgin Atlantic Airways - 3x 744, 2x 332 based

Antigua - 3 weekly 332
Barbados - 7 weekly 332/744
Grenada - 2 weekly 332 (via UVF)
Havana - 2 weekly 332
Montego Bay - 2 weekly 744
Orlando - 14-16 weekly 744
St Lucia - 3 weekly 332
Tobago - 1 weekly 332 (via UVF)

Westjet

Calgary - 7 weekly 789
Edmonton - 2 weekly 763
Halifax - 7 weekly 7M8 (...)
Toronto - 7 weekly 763
Vancouver - 5-6 weekly 763
Winnipeg - 1 weekly 763

Average weekly departures = 323-347 vs 308-321 in S18
Average daily departures = 46-50 vs 44-46 in S18

Busiest Routes:

Orlando - 36-39 weekly
New York - 25-27 weekly
Dubai - 21 weekly
Doha - 14-21 weekly
Toronto - 18-20 weekly
Barbados - 14-17 weekly
Cancun - 12-13 weekly
Vancouver - 9-13 weekly
St Lucia - 11 weekly
Antigua - 9 weekly
Calgary - 9 weekly
Los Angeles - 7-8 weekly

True Blue
20th Mar 2019, 21:05
Wizzair starting another route, Gdansk, from mid June, daily. Their 4th route?

Skipness One Foxtrot
20th Mar 2019, 22:49
What’s the (never ending) work in progress on Pier 5 at the moment? Stands 557-559 are being dug up, is this the new A380 gate for Emirates?

strawberry Ribena
20th Mar 2019, 23:01
What’s the (never ending) work in progress on Pier 5 at the moment? Stands 557-559 are being dug up, is this the new A380 gate for Emirates?

yes exactly.

Aero Mad
21st Mar 2019, 15:09
BA launching 6x weekly Bergamo from 1 Sept https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/03/21/british-airways-to-launch-gatwick-milan-bergamo-service/

VickersVicount
21st Mar 2019, 20:51
LGW accumulating a respectable BA short haul portfolio. Who said BA Shorthaul at LGW was dead?
Surprised BA JFK and YYZ have survived into another year....

vectisman
21st Mar 2019, 21:43
British Airways also to increase Cancun to 5 weekly for winter19/20.

This is article also hints more routes to come as BA pleased with Gatwick performance.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/03/21/british-airways-ceo-says-investments-are-showing-results/

vectisman
21st Mar 2019, 21:46
Frequency on BA Gatwick to Toronto has actually been increased this summer. With Air Belgium operating one of the LHR Toronto daily services for a period this summer some people are opting to rebook on Gatwick service!

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Apr 2019, 15:10
Virgin and Delta to launch JFK and BOS from Gatters?

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/virgin-atlantic-and-delta-announce-gatwick-boston-and-gatwick-jfk-routes-17571

This is fabulous news for Gatters, they look like
1) They're going to make a real go of this being Gatwick, and like Cathay, not just seeing this as a LHR overflow
2) It's a stragegic spoiler for JetBlue primarily (allegedly)
3) It could tip Norwegian over the edge if they were REALLY hoping to start making money

True Blue
4th Apr 2019, 15:11
Virgin/Delta to start Lgw to JFK/Bos next summer from Lgw. No indication yet who will operate the services.

rog747
4th Apr 2019, 15:25
Virgin/Delta to start Lgw to JFK/Bos next summer from Lgw. No indication yet who will operate the services.

Funny what comes around again -
Virgin LGW 1990/91
8 747 Classics based there

VS1 EWR
VS3 JFK
VS5 MIA
VS7 LAX
VS9 BOS
VS75/25 MCO
VS901 SVO/NRT

daz211
4th Apr 2019, 16:51
Virgin and Delta to launch JFK and BOS from Gatters?

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/virgin-atlantic-and-delta-announce-gatwick-boston-and-gatwick-jfk-routes-17571

This is fabulous news for Gatters, they look like
1) They're going to make a real go of this being Gatwick, and like Cathay, not just seeing this as a LHR overflow
2) It's a stragegic spoiler for JetBlue primarily (allegedly)
3) It could tip Norwegian over the edge if they were REALLY hoping to start making money

i wonder if this is in reaction to the expected JetBlue announcement, due on the 10th April, JFK and BOS to London.

AirportPlanner1
4th Apr 2019, 21:52
Funny what comes around again -
Virgin LGW 1990/91
8 747 Classics based there

VS1 EWR
VS3 JFK
VS5 MIA
VS7 LAX
VS9 BOS
VS75/25 MCO
VS901 SVO/NRT

Plus of course Delta around that time give or take a couple of years operated Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit and I think Miami

pabely
4th Apr 2019, 22:48
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/v...k-routes-17571 18 daily flights from Gatwick to New York JFK and Boston!

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Apr 2019, 23:41
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/v...k-routes-17571 18 daily flights from Gatwick to New York JFK and Boston!
That would be "weekly", the existing LHR presence to JFK and BOS is 26 daily via AA/BA/DL/VS at 176 weekly for the winter season just gone.
Remember Norwegian only fly 11 daily after building up the base over years, BA's existing LGW operation of long standing is also 11 daily.

SealinkBF
4th Apr 2019, 23:59
That would be "weekly", the existing LHR presence to JFK and BOS is 26 daily via AA/BA/DL/VS at 176 weekly for the winter season just gone.
Remember Norwegian only fly 11 daily after building up the base over years, BA's existing LGW operation of long standing is also 11 daily.

VS/DL have more than 18 flights a week to both airports. It will be 18 daily.

EZYMAN
5th Apr 2019, 23:52
If people could read articles properly they’d read that both DL and VS collectively offer 18 Daily flights between the JFK and BOS to the U.K.

Whoever thinks they’ll go from 0 to 18 daily must be on something

pabely
6th Apr 2019, 00:31
If people could read articles properly they’d read that both DL and VS collectively offer 18 Daily flights between the JFK and BOS to the U.K.

Whoever thinks they’ll go from 0 to 18 daily must be on something
We know that but the TTG Media article does not say that, it specifically says 18 daily Gatwick.

VickersVicount
6th Apr 2019, 01:49
This will end in tears for someone. Wasnt the return of BA to JFK always a bit shaky anyway? (that and YYZ I wouldnt have been surprised if they had been dropped by now)

EZYMAN
6th Apr 2019, 02:00
TTG is the only one that seems to have made a TYPO at least 4 other news outlets have a variation of the following quote, it is 100% a typo and anyone who thinks otherwise must be crazy

“The new service will add to the partnership’s existing flights to Heathrow and will bring Delta and Virgin Atlantic’s combined offering to up to 18 daily departures to the UK from both Boston and JFK.”

kernowbird
11th Apr 2019, 20:39
Are they going to fly this route through the summer given that the Max is not available?
Had to route via St John on the 737-700 in 2016

AirportPlanner1
11th Apr 2019, 21:38
Are they going to fly this route through the summer given that the Max is not available?
Had to route via St John on the 737-700 in 2016

Was a Max, now showing a mix of 737-700 and 800. I assume they have the legs for Halifax non-stop? I know St John’s is no issue but that’s a fair bit closer.

davidjohnson6
15th Apr 2019, 00:11
It looks as if Easyjet's route from Gatwick to La Palma in the Canaries (no, not the same as Las Palmas on Gran Canaria) is gone for good following the release of the W19/20 schedule. Fares were never high over the W18/19 period. Norwegian also tried the same route a few years ago but it didn't last particularly long

Anyone have any reason to believe that Easyjet will return to a London-SPC route ?

Any other routes out of Gatwick that Easyjet is dropping for W19/20 ?

_aax1
15th Apr 2019, 00:25
It looks as if Easyjet's route from Gatwick to La Palma in the Canaries (no, not the same as Las Palmas on Gran Canaria) is gone for good following the release of the W19/20 schedule. Fares were never high over the W18/19 period. Norwegian also tried the same route a few years ago but it didn't last particularly long

Anyone have any reason to believe that Easyjet will return to a London-SPC route ?

Any other routes out of Gatwick that Easyjet is dropping for W19/20 ?

Aarhus and Warsaw also dropped after just one season, both didn't perform well. Maybe Wizz will launch Warsaw. Not sure about SPC but i've heard a new winter route to Eliat will be announced.

rog747
15th Apr 2019, 09:17
La Palma is a nice interesting island but not much there - tourism is small - TUI and TCK both have charters there

toledoashley
15th Apr 2019, 21:38
La Palma was a good bet for cheaper winter sun (given the cheaper flight price), and it is now only a single TUI flight on a Thursday.

Seljuk22
28th Apr 2019, 16:04
Jazeera Airways plans to launch flights to Gatwick after receiving more A320neo later this year
http://investorrelations.jazeeraairways.com/media/1192/jazeera-airways-1q2019-earnings-presentation.pdf

mariofly12
28th Apr 2019, 21:34
Can the Neo make it in the winter with headwinds without stop?

Seljuk22
1st May 2019, 16:45
China Eastern will use B77W (316 seats) on its flight to PVG starting July. An increase of 20-30% (depending on config used on current A330) including introduction of First Class.

PAXboy
14th Jun 2019, 02:17
I am trying to clear up an anomaly in my records. I have just noticed I have recorded an LGW~CDG~LGW in March 1991 with the airline code: AE (flight numbers 044/049) should I have put AF - or was there another carrier using that code at the time? Many thanks.

Rutan16
14th Jun 2019, 04:50
PAXBOY that would have been Air Europe

tonyb
14th Jun 2019, 07:49
Regarding earlier posts regarding easyJet LGW-SPC flights are on sale for the winter period, Tues and Sat, good fares.

PAXboy
15th Jun 2019, 00:29
Ah! Thanks Rutan16. Wow they've been gone a long time. I see the IATA code is now Mandarin Airlines. Have you any idea what a/c they operated? Probably a 733?

Buster the Bear
15th Jun 2019, 17:11
https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Air-Europe-%28UK%29

Albert Hall
15th Jun 2019, 17:52
If you did take those flights then it must have been before 8th - that was the day Air Europe went bust in March 1991!

BAladdy
1st Jul 2019, 03:39
QR starting today is increasing capacity to DOH, A 77W replacing a 787-8 on the QR327/328 rotation. QR plan to use a mix of Both 358 and 412-seater 77W will operate this flight, from 01JUL19 to 15SEP19. The other 2 Daily rotations continue to be operated by a 787-8.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285152/qatar-airways-adds-777-300er-london-gatwick-service-in-3q19/

Gordonwil
1st Jul 2019, 18:19
Hello, I have just recently joined the site and wondered if you would be interested in a few photos from the airport around the 90s era?

Thanks Gordon.

====================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls or photos.

c52
2nd Jul 2019, 08:15
I'm sure it would be welcome in the Nostalgia section.

BAladdy
2nd Jul 2019, 10:40
Norwegian have made the following changes to there planned schedule for the Winter 2019/2020 season

New Winter Routes

Miami - Destination added back in March will continue to operate through Winter 19/20 season. Flights will operate at the frequencies below:

Daily - 10DEC - 12JAN & 25FEB - 28MAR
5 x Weekly - 27OCT - 09DEC & 13JAN20 - 24FEB

Rio De Janeiro - Destination added back in March will continue to operate 4 x Weekly for Winter 19/20 season.
San Francisco - Destination added back in March will continue to operate 4 x Weekly for Winter 19/20 season

Suspended Routes

Chicago - Route moves from year round to seasonal from 26OCT19. Operated 4 x Weekly last Winter
Denver - Route moves from year round to seasonal from 26OCT19. Operated 3 x Weekly last Winter
Fort Lauderdale - Suspension announced from start of Summer continues for W19.
Las Vegas - No longer available to book. Operated 3 x Weekly last Winter
Oakland - Suspension announced from start of Summer continues for W19

Frequency Changes

Boston - Frequency varies from 5 x Weekly to Daily. Flights operated up to 6 x Weekly last Winter

Daily - 27OCT - 12JAN & 17FEB - 28MAR
5 x Weekly - 13JAN - 16FEB

New York (JFK) - Frequency increased from 20 x Weekly to 3 x Daily
Orlando - Frequency varies from 3 to 5 x Weekly compared to 4 x Weekly last Winter.

5 x Weekly - 27OCT - 12JAN & 24FEB - 27MAR
3 x Weekly - 13JAN20 - 23FEB

Gordonwil
2nd Jul 2019, 10:49
I'm sure it would be welcome in the Nostalgia section.
Thanks I'll see if I can post them.

whitelighter
10th Jul 2019, 16:30
anyone know any more.
ATC shortage or equipment failure?

TartinTon
10th Jul 2019, 17:03
Website says it's an ATC tower systems issue

nohold
10th Jul 2019, 17:22
Website says it's an ATC tower systems issue

Buy cheap, buy twice - so they say.

Dodgy ATC provider in my v humble opinion.

Yahoo!®
10th Jul 2019, 19:17

100% agree

Packer27L
10th Jul 2019, 20:37
Deleted......

mike current
10th Jul 2019, 21:09

Are you saying that the Nats or Eurocontrol systems never failed?
Look up December 2014..

True Blue
10th Jul 2019, 21:50
Looking at the interim report from the ACL for W19, Garuda applied for slots but failed and Philippine Airlines has been successful in getting slots for a daily flight. Are they looking to return from Lhr? Norwegian also down for a BKK route.

BAladdy
19th Jul 2019, 13:05
Rossiya Airlines are increasing capacity on there daily LED service. From 28th October flights will be operated a 168 seat A320 instead of a 128-132 seat A319

pabely
19th Jul 2019, 15:21
Rossiya Airlines are increasing capacity on there daily LED service. From 28th October flights will be operated a 168 seat A320 instead of a 128-132 seat A319
With Wizzair starting soon from Luton which will also be daily, will their been room for both on this tough route needing a Visa which is more than a return fare?

BAladdy
19th Jul 2019, 16:33
With Wizzair starting soon from Luton which will also be daily, will their been room for both on this tough route needing a Visa which is more than a return fare?
BA a couple of months ago that they are dropping there daily LHR flight from early October. So maybe there will be room.

heneghan_j
25th Jul 2019, 22:47
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x1334/1031e15f_d0f3_467a_a4fd_4936d85c04e6_b1a19ac732edd5e4999ee48 35400c4e84e1fa431.png
Can anyone explain the VS flights from JFK and ATL on the flight info page. Kuwait arrival appears too??

strawberry Ribena
26th Jul 2019, 03:32
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x1334/1031e15f_d0f3_467a_a4fd_4936d85c04e6_b1a19ac732edd5e4999ee48 35400c4e84e1fa431.png
Can anyone explain the VS flights from JFK and ATL on the flight info page. Kuwait arrival appears too??

I think they were planned arrivals in case LHR strike action occurred.

goldeneye
26th Jul 2019, 10:33
​​​​VS are to drop St Lucia completely from June 2020, Antigua will increase to 4 weekly and Havana is moving to LHR.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/virgin-atlantic-to-pull-out-of-st-lucia--18834

VickersVicount
2nd Aug 2019, 18:31
with the new domestic arrivals area wonder when they'll allow true domestic direct international transfers, would have thought that would be relatively easy to sort.

rog747
3rd Aug 2019, 09:04
£1 coin for trolleys needed now in arrivals hall....
WTF!
when did that start - ?

How cheap and low can you go....

Arrived off Evelop JFK 23.30 the other night - 2 of us, loads of luggage - been on QM2 ship to NYC and have to friggin fumble looking for a £1 coin for a Trolley cart.
(Are we in a dodgy low-life crime ridden branch of Tesco's?)
Ugh - hopeless, who has a £1 coin handy after 2 weeks away on a ship then 3 days in NYC?
Nowhere open to get change - nice welcome - thanks LGW - not...

- Note to self avoid LGW in future -

Pray to god that LHR does not start this nonsense - Still very civilised at T5 for now

VickersVicount
3rd Aug 2019, 09:25
....no point in complaining here. You should take it up with someone who can actually do something about it...
But thanks for warning. Note to self- handy charity coin token in your wallet

[email protected]

https://twitter.com/gatwick_airport
https://www.gatwickairport.com/feedback/

inOban
3rd Aug 2019, 10:39
Rog747 clearly shops in the wrong supermarkets. Coin release trolleys are widespread, and most of us carry a token on our keyring.

DaveReidUK
3rd Aug 2019, 12:52
Coin release trolleys are widespread, and most of us carry a token on our keyring.

Well a few of us might.

The rest carry the things that the coin release is designed to accommodate (the clue's in the name), which have the advantage (or disadvantage) that you can spend them too. :O

Leaving our keyrings free to attach something more useful, like a corkscrew !

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Aug 2019, 14:21
Really good to see this:

London Gatwick Airport has opened a new facility for travellers arriving from the UK and Ireland which it says will allow a faster and more convenient exit.

The route through the South Terminal will see passengers disembark the aircraft from a jetty or steps and head straight into the terminal building.

Previously, arrivals from parts of the UK, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland had to be coached from their aircraft to a special baggage reclaim area to ensure segregation from international passengers, in line with immigration policies.

A new dedicated baggage reclaim belt has also been installed.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/08/02/gatwick-adds-faster-domestic-arrivals-route-with-biometric-gates/

DaveReidUK
3rd Aug 2019, 16:01
London Gatwick Airport has opened a new facility for travellers arriving from the UK and Ireland which it says will allow a faster and more convenient exit.

Apart from EasyJet passengers, presumably ... ?

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Aug 2019, 18:09
Apart from EasyJet passengers, presumably ... ?

Never used North but doesn't it already have dedicated CTA area.

True Blue
3rd Aug 2019, 20:42
Does anyone know of any news of winter slot requests confirmed or handed back? e.g.PR.

FlyboyUK
4th Aug 2019, 09:51
The North Terminal has had several domestic stands with air bridges and a dedicated route through the terminal ever since it was built. So easyJet passengers have had that facility for a long time.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Aug 2019, 15:56
The domestic facility at Gatwick North was a bolt-on to what once was Gate 55. Not sure what BCAL was ever supposed to use but BA gave up the domestics and so 551-554 were not added until some time later when they were allowed to re-enter the market.

lfc84
5th Aug 2019, 09:31
Easyjet domestic arrivals don't always use one of those gates. In that event, passengers are bussed to the baggage reclaim hall, rather than using a pedestrian route

True Blue
5th Aug 2019, 10:34
Jazeera Airways has Lgw loaded onto its site, but full details do not yet seem to be available. Starts 27th October, daily.

Out Of Trim
5th Aug 2019, 11:58
£1 coin for trolleys needed now in arrivals hall....
WTF!
when did that start - ?

How cheap and low can you go....

Arrived off Evelop JFK 23.30 the other night - 2 of us, loads of luggage - been on QM2 ship to NYC and have to friggin fumble looking for a £1 coin for a Trolley cart.
(Are we in a dodgy low-life crime ridden branch of Tesco's?)
Ugh - hopeless, who has a £1 coin handy after 2 weeks away on a ship then 3 days in NYC?
Nowhere open to get change - nice welcome - thanks LGW - not...

- Note to self avoid LGW in future -

Pray to god that LHR does not start this nonsense - Still very civilised at T5 for now

If you had looked around the Baggage Hall you would have spotted the Change Machine provided to facilitate those without the appropriate coinage! :ok:

Out Of Trim
5th Aug 2019, 12:03

Code Share Flight Numbers!

rog747
5th Aug 2019, 17:46
If you had looked around the Baggage Hall you would have spotted the Change Machine provided to facilitate those without the appropriate coinage! :ok:

Thanks - I did look (Obvs) - but one was nowhere to be seen, only unmanned rail ticket desks, unmanned exchange desk and a U/S ATM - but when you have to go to the Loo PDQ - meet 2 Taxi guys waiting for you outside for a 2 and a 1/2 hour ride home - it is 23.30 at night and you have an elderly lady with you with 2 weeks worth of posh cruise ship baggage piled high to deal with I'm afraid my sense of humour failure button got pressed very early on in the proceedings -

Luckily my companion had 2 x 50p pieces and she eventually managed to get someone to give her a £1 coin after asking about 40 folk most of whom No speeka da Ingleeesh

:P

rog747
5th Aug 2019, 17:51
BTW if you want a baggage trolley at JFK they are now $6 (yes SIX) bucks a pop........... and $4 a bag if you have a porter --- + a tip

Makes LGW £1 coin for a trolley seem rather grey..........

willy wombat
5th Aug 2019, 20:53
The coin operated trollies at LGW are hardly new news - they've been like that for at least a couple of years. I've heard it said that the taxi drivers use a paperclip rather than a one pound coin (allegedly).

strawberry Ribena
5th Aug 2019, 22:02
Code Share Flight Numbers!

not code share. They were normal Virgin flights operating into Lgw because of the potential strikes. Extra virgin, Qatar and aeroflot flights came in today. Kuwait didn’t.

True Blue
13th Aug 2019, 23:04
A posting on another forum stating Delta will start Boston and Virgin JFK May 20. Both daily flights. To be announced on Thursday.

racedo
14th Aug 2019, 22:07
The coin operated trollies at LGW are hardly new news - they've been like that for at least a couple of years. I've heard it said that the taxi drivers use a paperclip rather than a one pound coin (allegedly).

Circa 10+ years.

Came about as too many ended up in local river or being dumped whereever, including onto the rail line from a couple of footbridges.

Reality is a €1 coin or something of similar size works just as well.

BAladdy
15th Aug 2019, 03:11
Level are dropping there flights to Vienna from 30th August

Wien: Anisec stellt London-Gatwick ein - Austrian Aviation Net (http://www.austrianaviation.net/detail/wien-anisec-stellt-london-gatwick-ein/)

Musket90
15th Aug 2019, 18:21
Not surprised about Level. I don't think it's a brand that is too familiar in UK. If there's an alternative from Gatwick to Vienna, which I believe Easyjet are, then it's probably the preferred choice.

davidjohnson6
18th Aug 2019, 22:18
Thomas Cook to fly 1x weekly between Gatwick and Lemnos in Greece on Mondays for summer 2020. The TC website lists it in the timetable but looks like flights have not gone on sale yet
https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/generated/timetable_S2020.pdf
London-Lemnos is currently flown solely by charters - 1x weekly BA from Heathrow for Mark Warner and 1x weekly by Enter Air from Gatwick for Sunvil

Kavala (Greece), Naples (Italy) and Holguin (Cuba) are flown in S19 but are not currently listed in the S20 timetable

Seljuk22
20th Aug 2019, 16:59
Air China to launch PVG starting November with 4 weekly flights and A359 operating

CabinCrewe
20th Aug 2019, 20:32
Level are dropping there flights to Vienna from 30th August

Wien: Anisec stellt London-Gatwick ein - Austrian Aviation Net (http://www.austrianaviation.net/detail/wien-anisec-stellt-london-gatwick-ein/)
Listed elsewhere as a temporary suspension until October? Seems a bit odd. I suspect its a goner.

True Blue
20th Aug 2019, 22:41
Level is on sale from the end of October again.

Vokes55
20th Aug 2019, 23:07
Air China to launch PVG starting November with 4 weekly flights and A359 operating

No doubt their usual season or two whilst finding slots at Heathrow. Interesting anyway, I would’ve thought they’d rather send Chengdu back to Gatwick and use the LHR slots for Shanghai.

In other news, China Eastern are going daily to Gatwick from the Winter season. So Gatwick will now have 11x weekly flights to PVG.

CabinCrewe
21st Aug 2019, 20:19
No doubt their usual season or two whilst finding slots at Heathrow. Interesting anyway, I would’ve thought they’d rather send Chengdu back to Gatwick and use the LHR slots for Shanghai.

In other news, China Eastern are going daily to Gatwick from the Winter season. So Gatwick will now have 11x weekly flights to PVG.

Be interesting to see the loads on those....

BAladdy
31st Aug 2019, 03:59
Vueling are increasing the frequency on there CDG service from 18 to 29 x weekly from 22nd September

True Blue
3rd Sep 2019, 14:32
Wizzair starting Krakow from 23rd Feb 20, daily. They are slowly building at Lgw.

Vokes55
4th Sep 2019, 01:04
Warsaw is the destination that Gatwick really needs from them

racedo
7th Sep 2019, 21:15
ondon Gatwick Airport has opened a new facility for travellers arriving from the UK and Ireland which it says will allow a faster and more convenient exit.

The route through the South Terminal will see passengers disembark the aircraft from a jetty or steps and head straight into the terminal building.

Previously, arrivals from parts of the UK, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland had to be coached from their aircraft to a special baggage reclaim area to ensure segregation from international passengers, in line with immigration policies.

A new dedicated baggage reclaim belt has also been installed.

Basically just going back to the old gates that Ryanair used to have before they were moved about. At least now roof is not leaking (ok wasn't raining so assume it doesn't) and place has been refurbed.

Asturias56
8th Sep 2019, 10:08
"disembark the aircraft from a jetty or steps "

that's not progress with winter just around the corner..................

racedo
8th Sep 2019, 10:52
"disembark the aircraft from a jetty or steps "

that's not progress with winter just around the corner..................

No different that what Ryanair passengers have been doing for 30 plus years.

A billion passengers have done it now with them.

JW95
24th Sep 2019, 10:03
Hi all, Hope everyone is well. New to PPRUNE, Deeply saddened to hear of TC's recent demise, my thoughts go out to all affected, especially the crew, I hope you all manage to find yourselves in employment again very soon. It will certainly be odd no longer seeing their a/c at LGW, I wonder if this will allow QR to move down to the South terminal to be closer to One world/BA? As zone D in check is now unoccupied.

Asturias56
27th Sep 2019, 09:51
Drones - real or imaginary?

https://www.bbc.com/news/england

Police investigating a drone attack at Gatwick Airport say they are no closer to finding the people responsible.

Flights were suspended for 30 hours after the drone sightings in December, causing chaos for 140,000 passengers. Sussex Police said they received 129 separate reports of drone activity at the time, with 109 from "credible witnesses" including a pilot and airport police.

The force say they have ruled out 96 people of interest. Without new information coming to light, there are "no further realistic lines of inquiry at this time", police added.

In July a senior officer said they believed two drones were simultaneously used (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48929442) in the attack. The incident was not deemed terror-related and there is no evidence to suggest it was either state-sponsored, campaign or interest-group led. No further arrests have been made.

The criminal investigation by Sussex Police, with support from national expertise, has identified, researched and ruled out 96 people "of interest". The policing operation and subsequent investigation has cost £790,000 and is not expected to increase further, with the bulk of the cost relating to the operational police response.

Through corroborated witness statements, it is believed the offender, or multiple offenders, had detailed knowledge of the airport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47919680). Witness statements show activity happened in "groupings" across the three days on 12 separate occasions, varying in length from between seven and 45 minutes. On six of these occasions, witnesses clearly saw two drones operating simultaneously.

Sussex Police's Assistant Chief Constable Dave Miller said: "This was an unprecedented set of circumstances for all agencies involved at a time when the police and the Government were at the early stages of assessing domestic counter drone technology.

"Equipment was quickly installed using both military and private assets to bring it to a conclusion and allow the airport to reopen. Measures now available have strengthened our capability to respond to and investigate a similar incident in the future."

-----------------------

mass hysteria I suspect - i was in an office at LGW that day and the weather was foul with stuff blowing all over the place.......

no=one has ever claimed responsibility - not even anonymously - an they have no clues....

VickersVicount
9th Oct 2019, 16:54
BA LGW AYT for S20, GIB and LIG Limoges dropped

adfly
17th Oct 2019, 22:11
Usual summary, let me know of any changes or corrections! Small reduction overall, mostly due to Thomas Cook no longer being around. Everything else seems quite consistent.

Air China

Shanghai (New) - 3 weekly 359 (from 02/11)

Air Transat

Toronto - 7 weekly 321N

British Airways - 14x 772 based

Antigua - 7 weekly
Barbados - 12 weekly
Bermuda - 5 weekly
Cancun - 5 weekly
Cape Town - 3 weekly
Grenada - 2 weekly (via UVF)
Kingston - 3 weekly
Las Vegas - 3 weekly
Male - 3 weekly
Mauritius - 5 weekly
New York JFK - 7 weekly (Pauses 13/01-10/02)
Orlando - 7 weekly
Port of Spain - 5 weekly (via UVF)
Providenciales - 2 weekly (via ANU)
Punta Cana - 4 weekly
St Kitts - 2 weekly (via ANU)
St Lucia - 7 weekly
San Jose de Costa Rica - 3 weekly
Tampa - 6 weekly
Tobago - 2 weekly (via ANU)

Cathay Pacific

Hong Kong - 7 weekly 359

China Airlines

Taipei - 4 weekly 359

China Eastern Airlines

Shanghai - 7 weekly 332

Emirates

Dubai - 21 weekly 388

Iraqi Airways

Baghdad - 1 weekly 738/320
Sulaymaniyah - 1 weekly 738/320

Jazeera Airways

Kuwait City (New) - 7 weekly 320N (from 27/10)

Norwegian Long Haul - 11x 789 based (?)

Boston - 7 weekly
Buenos Aires - 5 weekly
Los Angeles - 7 weekly
Miami - 7 weekly
New York JFK - 18-21 weekly
Orlando - 5 weekly
Rio de Janeiro - 4 weekly
San Francisco - 4 weekly
Tampa - 2-3 weekly

Qatar Airways

Doha - 17 weekly 788/77W/359

Rwandair

Kigali - 3 weekly 332/333 (via BRU)

TUI - 3x 789, 1x 788 based (?)

Barbados - 3 weekly 787
Boa Vista - 4 weekly 752
Cancun - 3-4 weekly 787
Goa - 2 weekly 787
Langkwai - 0.5 weekly 787
Liberia - 1 weekly 787
Los Cabos (New) - 1 weekly 787 (starts 14/11)
Mauritius - 1 weekly 787
Montego Bay - 3-4 weekly 787
Phu Quoc - 1 weekly 787
Phuket - 1 weekly 787
Punta Cana - 2 weekly 787
Sal - 3 weekly 752
St Lucia - 1 weekly 787
U-Tapao - 0.5 weekly 787

Virgin Atlantic Airways - 3x 744, 2x 332 based

Antigua - 4 weekly 332
Barbados - 7-9 weekly 744/332
Grenada - 2 weekly 332 (via UVF)
Havana - 2 weekly 332
Montego Bay - 3 weekly 744
Orlando - 7-10 weekly 744
St Lucia - 5 weekly 332
Tobago - 2 weekly 332 (via UVF)

Westjet

Calgary - 3-4 weekly 789
Toronto - 7 weekly 789

Summary:

Average weekly departures = 277-296 (281-307.5 last winter)
Average daily departures = 40-42 (40-44 last winter)

Busiest Routes:

New York JFK - 18-28 weekly
Barbados - 22-24 weekly
Orlando - 19-22 weekly
Dubai - 21 weekly
Doha - 17 weekly
Toronto - 14 weekly
St Lucia - 13 weekly
Antigua - 11 weekly
Shanghai - 10 weekly
Tampa - 8-9 weekly
Cancun - 8 weekly

Largest Airlines -

British Airways - 73-80 weekly departures
Norwegian - 59-63 weekly departures
Virgin Atlantic - 28-33 weekly departures
TUI - 27-28 weekly departures
Emirates - 21 weekly departures
Qatar Airways - 17 weekly departures

vectisman
18th Oct 2019, 06:22
Thanks adfly. However I believe the weekly departures for BA nearer to 80 rather than 71.

sewushr
18th Oct 2019, 07:51
A couple of minor points on the long-haul schedule:

Despite what several sites show (including the ACL slot allocations), Iraqi Airways' operation is A320 only. They cannot use their B738s on flights to the EU

The Norwegian long-haul network is operated by Norwegian Air UK, not Norwegian Long Haul. That AOC was surrendered a while back.

nowhereasfiled
18th Oct 2019, 15:51
Norwegian taking over the old Thomas Cook crew room in Ashdown house. No more crew briefings in Costa

JW95
20th Oct 2019, 14:24
Does anyone know when (or if) Cathay are likely to upgauge their LGW-HKG route to the A351? From what I've seen, the route has been incredibly popular since CX's return to LGW, going from 4/weekly to daily in just 8 months, and having spoken with cabin crew, the flight always seems full, even outside holiday season. MAN has already seen the A351, so I can't see why LGW won't be seeing it. Also, are there any plans to expand the route beyond the current daily service? Given the recent political situation in HKG, I appreciate it that CX may wish to hold off expansion, but I don't see why LGW shouldn't be able to support a double daily service to HKG further down the line.

CabinCrewe
20th Oct 2019, 15:50
From what I've seen.....having spoken with cabin crew

And based on figures/stats does that equate to hard facts of 'full' ?

Skipness One Foxtrot
20th Oct 2019, 23:50
The Norwegian long-haul network is operated by Norwegian Air UK, not Norwegian Long Haul. That AOC was surrendered a while back.
Can you expand on this? What AOC was surrendered? I thought Norwegian Long Haul operate LN- B787s today, albeit not out of LGW.

sewushr
21st Oct 2019, 05:33
The LN- registered B788/789s are operated by Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAX)

Norwegian's website shows (correctly) that they currently have 6 different AOCs

Norwegian Air Shuttle and Norwegian Air Norway in Norway
Norwegian Air International in Ireland
Norwegian UK
Norwegian Air Sweden
Norwegian Air Argentina

They did once have an AOC for Norwegian Long Haul but this became inactive at least two years ago I believe and has now presumably been surrendered/revoked.

Alteagod
21st Oct 2019, 10:10
Is it likely that Virgin Connect will start an operation at LGW to feed into VS or are they more likely to feed into DL/KL at AMS and CDG?

Skipness One Foxtrot
23rd Oct 2019, 16:06
Where's this rumour coming from that Gatters will be banning ATRs? I assume to drive up the flow rate? Nonsense or not?
They did change their charging structure to destroy flybe's LGW ops without a second thought, and before anyone shouts "NQY", that survives as it's a subsidised route

davidjohnson6
23rd Oct 2019, 16:40
Apart from Aurigny to Guernsey, which airlines/routes at Gatwick use an ATR on a regular basis ?

speedrestriction
23rd Oct 2019, 18:35
ATRs don’t slow down the flow rate. The Gatwick speeds are roughly 220kts beyond the holding fix, 180kts on intercept and 160kts to 4 miles all of which is achievable in an ATR. The different approach speeds from 4 miles to touchdown makes negligible difference to the flow rate.

If there is a move against smaller airframes it will merely be to push more passengers through the airport.

davidjohnson6
23rd Oct 2019, 19:52
If there is a move against smaller airframes it will merely be to push more passengers through the airport.
I thought that was the unstated reason as to why Gatwick changed their charging structure - namely increase the number of pax that pass through the airport per take-off/landing slot. If an airport can't magic up some more slots, the value of slots accrues to airlines not the airport, and pax are being milked as hard as possible on parking and shops, then this is an obvious way to increase profits for the airport...

gilesdavies
23rd Oct 2019, 20:31
Does anyone know when (or if) Cathay are likely to upgauge their LGW-HKG route to the A351? From what I've seen, the route has been incredibly popular since CX's return to LGW, going from 4/weekly to daily in just 8 months, and having spoken with cabin crew, the flight always seems full, even outside holiday season. MAN has already seen the A351, so I can't see why LGW won't be seeing it. Also, are there any plans to expand the route beyond the current daily service? Given the recent political situation in HKG, I appreciate it that CX may wish to hold off expansion, but I don't see why LGW shouldn't be able to support a double daily service to HKG further down the line.

Just because the plane is leaving full, doesn't necessarily mean the route is a money spinner!

If you do a flight search for routes to Asia or Australia and type in the departing city as just "London" so then it searches all London airports, the pricing for flights for Cathay Pacific flights out of Gatwick will nearly always be cheaper than the Heathrow flights. Usually with a price difference of £20-50 on economy routes, while it isn't a huge difference, when you multiply that by 200+ passengers it makes a big difference, and gives passengers an incentive to fly this route as opposed to the Heathrow option.

Im sure the route is profitable, but the airline probably doesn't want to dilute prices further by offering further capacity. They can continue to offer the LGW option for the more price sensitive passengers wanting to fly CX and in time drive the prices up to match that of Heathrow, and once this is done if demand remains offer the A350-1000 then.

Very similar with China Airlines flying to Taipei, (the Taiwan carrier, not to be confused with the China Mainland carriers), which offers an excellent product on their A350's, and in my opinion is better than CX, but are usually are substantially cheaper. Primarily due them being quite unknown in the UK market and Gatwick not being able to offer the premium prices of Heathrow.

Flown then twice to Australia, and flights have been 90+% full in all classes, but they seem reluctant to increase their five flights a week. I've noticed as they become more established the prices have increased and likely to be there is more demand to fly them and not the need to discount seats.

GLCYZ
23rd Oct 2019, 21:15
Just because the plane is leaving full, doesn't necessarily mean the route is a money spinner!

If you do a flight search for routes to Asia or Australia and type in the departing city as just "London" so then it searches all London airports, the pricing for flights for Cathay Pacific flights out of Gatwick will nearly always be cheaper than the Heathrow flights. Usually with a price difference of £20-50 on economy routes, while it isn't a huge difference, when you multiply that by 200+ passengers it makes a big difference, and gives passengers an incentive to fly this route as opposed to the Heathrow option.

Im sure the route is profitable, but the airline probably doesn't want to dilute prices further by offering further capacity. They can continue to offer the LGW option for the more price sensitive passengers wanting to fly CX and in time drive the prices up to match that of Heathrow, and once this is done if demand remains offer the A350-1000 then.

Very similar with China Airlines flying to Taipei, (the Taiwan carrier, not to be confused with the China Mainland carriers), which offers an excellent product on their A350's, and in my opinion is better than CX, but are usually are substantially cheaper. Primarily due them being quite unknown in the UK market and Gatwick not being able to offer the premium prices of Heathrow.

Flown then twice to Australia, and flights have been 90+% full in all classes, but they seem reluctant to increase their five flights a week. I've noticed as they become more established the prices have increased and likely to be there is more demand to fly them and not the need to discount seats.

About £30 of that fare difference is down to the lower passenger service charge at LGW versus LHR.

True Blue
31st Oct 2019, 10:29
I see on Gatwick arrivals Garuda appears, although the flights are shown as cancelled. From memory, they were also allocated slots for the winter according to the ACL report. Is it fair to assume from that, that serious consideration must have been given to moving back to Lgw from Lhr?

I have seen Norwegian BKK on arrivals as well, also cancelled.

mufc4evr
31st Oct 2019, 10:52
I see on Gatwick arrivals Garuda appears, although the flights are shown as cancelled. From memory, they were also allocated slots for the winter according to the ACL report. Is it fair to assume from that, that serious consideration must have been given to moving back to Lgw from Lhr?

when was DI BKK showing?

True Blue
31st Oct 2019, 10:55
I think it may have been on the Sunday arrivals, first day of W19.

mufc4evr
31st Oct 2019, 11:09
ah ok thanks :)

JW95
1st Nov 2019, 10:36

RE Garuda: Haven't seen anything on the net regarding their return to LGW, although would be welcome news if true. Their website/airlineroute is still showing LHR as the departure point with an A332 operating to DPS via KNO. Given the countless number of times GA have altered their LHR operation in the last few months, anyone would think it would make sense operationally and financially to withdraw from the market completely or transfer back to LGW, given that LHR clearly doesn't appear to be working with them. Already, we have seen it being down gauged from the 77W to the A332, service being reduced to 3/weekly, routing changed from LHR-SIN-CGK, to CGK direct, to LHR-DPS, and now, LHR-KNO-DPS. It just seems madness that the airline is continuing to stick around at LHR, given all the changes and the vast losses. If they are really committed to London and wish to make it work, it would be better to scrap LHR, reintroduce LGW as the tag on service (e.g. LGW-AMS-DPS) with the A339.

Skipness One Foxtrot
1st Nov 2019, 15:48
It's not that LHR is not working and that LGW will be better, it's that London isn't working for them. Too many more competitive options, this service is a mix of vanity and political, but worse than that, the B77W was just WAAAAY too big. I doubt the change to the A339 will generate a profit but it may scale back the losses a tad. Moving back to LGW wouldn't help matters one little bit, it may be operationally somewhat cheaper but that's not enough.

OxfordGold
2nd Nov 2019, 18:13
Two new feeds pushed out from LGW this week.

1) https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/gatwick-uses-military-tracker-made-by-chess-dynamics-to-beat-drone-menace-rc8w8mdt6

Surely- great but what about autonomous drones. No operator required. Can't be shot down because they fly bloody fast and alter directions! Money wasted.

2) https://news.sky.com/story/gatwick-airport-trials-new-boarding-methods-to-cut-delays-11849195

Gatwick Airport trials new boarding methods to cut delays- Great if everyone travelling solo! Airlines would have done this 30 years ago.

Some new 25 year old SENIOR manager in a new role?

racedo
2nd Nov 2019, 20:04
2) https://news.sky.com/story/gatwick-airport-trials-new-boarding-methods-to-cut-delays-11849195

Gatwick Airport trials new boarding methods to cut delays- Great if everyone travelling solo! Airlines would have done this 30 years ago.

Some new 25 year old SENIOR manager in a new role?

Better innovation would be talking app that talks and walks people via their phone / earphones to the gate and then tells them to come forward for boarding.

JW95
9th Nov 2019, 15:56
Any thoughts on possible new airlines and long haul routes destined for LGW in the near future? Based on the W19 ACL report, I recall seeing PR/Philippine Airlines being allocated slots at LGW, but find it unlikely that they would give up LHR in exchange for LGW, given that they spent years getting their hands on the slots.

davidjohnson6
9th Nov 2019, 19:36
ACL have fined Easyjet £10,000 for breaking the rules on slots at Gatwick on 28 July 2019. Sounds like more than a minor misdemeanour - anyone know what happened ?

VickersVicount
10th Nov 2019, 10:03
ACL have fined Easyjet £10,000 for breaking the rules on slots at Gatwick on 28 July 2019. Sounds like more than a minor misdemeanour - anyone know what happened ?
£10K on the profits EZY make... ? They'll just laugh that off.

Buster the Bear
11th Nov 2019, 19:26
https://atwonline.com/airports-routes/wizz-air-grows-capacity-poland-adds-15-routes

Vokes55
12th Nov 2019, 05:28
https://atwonline.com/airports-routes/wizz-air-grows-capacity-poland-adds-15-routes

Do you ever have anything more to contribute than aimlessly posting links? The KRK-LGW Route was announced months ago

Buster the Bear
12th Nov 2019, 11:07
Do you ever have anything more to contribute than aimlessly posting links? The KRK-LGW Route was announced months ago

Vokes post count = 230
Buster the Bear's = 4,322 including this one.

Some of us do not spend their lives trawling through every single thread. Apologies if my link offended you. 230 though hahaahahahah :)

There may be one person who found my thousands of links useful or informative though?

southender
12th Nov 2019, 11:41
Keep it up Buster, have followed you for years

Planespeaking
12th Nov 2019, 11:47
Vokes post count = 230
Buster the Bear's = 4,322 including this one.

Some of us do not spend their lives trawling through every single thread. Apologies if my link offended you. 230 though hahaahahahah :)

There may be one person who found my thousands of links useful or informative though?
Keep it up Buster, your contributions have been balanced and informative for a long time. Well done.

DaveReidUK
12th Nov 2019, 12:18
Given that this is the Gatwick thread, might it not have been better just to quote the single line from that ATW article that was relevant to LGW ?

davidjohnson6
21st Nov 2019, 00:18
Georgian Airways to suspend Gatwick-Tbilisi for much of the winter apart from the Xmas period
Last weekend they managed 42 pax on an E190 with 97 seats for a 5 hour flight - probably not a profitable flight

Georgian will apply a winter suspension / frequency reduction to 6 other routes as well - Gatwick is not the sole route to be targetted

bcn_boy
21st Nov 2019, 12:31
Difficult for Georgian to compete on the route. Wizzair are cheaper to Kutaisi by a long way and Turkish keep
flooring their prices on the route. Good little airline though, took them from Tblisi to Yerevan and back.

EastMids
22nd Nov 2019, 11:07

"...for repeatedly and intentionally operating without an allocated slot on 28 July 2019."

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/07NOV19-EZY-Internet-sanction-28JUL19.pdf

DaveReidUK
22nd Nov 2019, 13:17
"...for repeatedly and intentionally operating without an allocated slot on 28 July 2019."

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/07NOV19-EZY-Internet-sanction-28JUL19.pdf

How can doing something once be classed as "repeatedly" ?

"ACL has imposed a financial penalty on easyJet in the amount of £10,000. (1 operation x £10,000 per operation)."

EastMids
22nd Nov 2019, 13:54
How can doing something once be classed as "repeatedly" ?
If you look at the sanctions on the ACL website there are other earlier instances of easyJet being fined for the same offence.

Cyrano
17th Dec 2019, 19:41
I heard a rumour of something major being communicated internally about the GatwickConnects baggage service. Has anyone heard anything?

Lon12
18th Dec 2019, 07:25
Vueling

New London Gatwick (LGW) - Valencia (VLC) from May

X234567 // VY-8473 // 21:40 -> 01:05

JW95
20th Dec 2019, 09:26
Morning all. Apologies if this has been flagged up previously, but are there any plans for QR to move to the South Terminal alongside BA and CX? I would have thought that such a move would make sense from a strategic perspective, given that two of the prime Oneworld alliance members are operating from here, plus the fact that BA have their swanky first and business class lounge in south also, which QR passengers could take advantage of. Although I am unsure whether there is still space left in the South terminal, I recall Zone D in check in being freed up when TCX ceased ops?

True Blue
12th Jan 2020, 19:08
Is Turkish airlines making some changes at Lgw?

They have recently released a flight between Saw and Stn that has the exact same times as the current Lgw service. Is the route being transferred from Lgw to Stn?

At the minute, Ayt is 2 daily, is this correct? Is the transfer of the Saw route to release slots for extra Ayt services?

Bjv seems to be going 4 a week, with 2 flights on a Wednesday.

Will they be looking at flights Adb? Dlm seems to be starting towards the end of May.

BA also seems to have added serviced to Dlm and Ayt.

Boeing737-8
12th Jan 2020, 19:28
Antalya and Bodrum were both confirmed in the week.

Antalya has gone from 1 daily to 2 daily.
Bodrum also as you mentioned has gone to 4 weekly from 2. Filling the gaps that Thomas Cook left behind with the Turkish holidays.

The Stansted flight is being operated by the low cost regional airline AnadoluJet. The LGW flight is shown as the same times and the only one of both flight that are bookable. However, it could be said that all passengers could be transferred over from LGW to STN.

Pegasus have also transferred their DLM flight over from LGW to STN. STN also gained 7 weekly flights to both DLM & AYT with Freebird.

On a different note, Uganda airlines are looking at gaining slots to LGW this year with their new A330-800’s.

flyerguy
13th Jan 2020, 20:10
At least 4 flights now being diverted to BHX and STN.

EasyJet app staying wind shear in Gatwick

True Blue
20th Jan 2020, 06:53
From Airline Routes

Wuhan – London Gatwick eff 19JUN20 3 weekly 787-8 service, replacing London Heathrow (Reservation currently available in J/Y class only)
CZ673 WUH0130 – 0600LGW 788 135
CZ674 LGW1230 – 0600+1WUH 788 135

I always knew Lhr was just a holding exercise until they could get slots at Lgw!

AirportPlanner1
20th Jan 2020, 07:33
Not the time to be launching Wuhan! Is this to facilitate their new LHR-Beijing route?

JW95
20th Jan 2020, 07:59
From Airline Routes

Wuhan – London Gatwick eff 19JUN20 3 weekly 787-8 service, replacing London Heathrow (Reservation currently available in J/Y class only)
CZ673 WUH0130 – 0600LGW 788 135
CZ674 LGW1230 – 0600+1WUH 788 135

I always knew Lhr was just a holding exercise until they could get slots at Lgw!

Great news! Will be a nice addition to the LGW airline portfolio. Any ideas as to which terminal they are likely to operate from?

rog747
20th Jan 2020, 09:26
Wuhan is the site of the latest Chinese flu - a mystery virus that has killed already - Now on its way here by plane - Oh great lol

Skipness One Foxtrot
20th Jan 2020, 13:18
The current LHR offering has a daily CAN-LHR on the B789 with an additional :
CZ 651 18:15 CAN SYX LHR T4 Thu Sun
CZ 653 18:25 CGO LHR T4 Tue Sat
CZ 673 18:30 WUH LHR T4 Mon Wed Fri

So given a daily PKX-LHR A380 is being offered for summer 2020, is the remainder of the non CAN flights as per above moving over to LGW as well?

True Blue
26th Jan 2020, 21:01
Corendon Airlines starting Lgw to both Ayt and Dlm at the start of July. Ayt 2 weekly, Dlm 1 weekly.

JW95
27th Jan 2020, 16:42
Passed through the south terminal recently and noticed that large sections of ceiling are exposed above check in zones J and K (Norwegian), with ceiling tiling removed. Does anyone know what is happening here in terms of works and whether this has now been completed? (As I thought the majority of current transformation works were being directed towards the North terminal). In it’s current state, it makes the area look very dark and unwelcoming to passengers passing through, so hopefully it’ll be fixed soon.

True Blue
30th Jan 2020, 18:15
Wizzair starting Lgw - Sof daily from 1st June. Seems to be A321 being used.

VickersVicount
30th Jan 2020, 18:28
quite a big aircraft to fill as a new route to Bulgaria in summer. Isn't SOF more a winter/ski base?

JW95
31st Jan 2020, 08:24
Wizzair starting Lgw - Sof daily from 1st June. Seems to be A321 being used.

A nice addition and great to see W6 going from strength to strength at LGW. Will also be in direct competition with U2 on the route. U2 service this route twice daily, so presumably W6 shouldn't have too much of a problem filling the A321. I wonder if we'll see W6 open up further new routes or even a second base at LGW, given capacity restrictions at LTN?

pabely
31st Jan 2020, 16:40
I wonder if we'll see W6 open up further new routes or even a second base at LGW, given capacity restrictions at LTN?
Only if they could ever get prized early morning and late evening slots.

davidjohnson6
31st Jan 2020, 22:50
Why would W6 be interested only in early morning / late evening slots ? Many of the pax flying between London and Eastern Europe are looking for a cheap fare and are relatively time insensitive. If there is a large number of people south of the Thames wanting to go to cities also flown by Ryanair from Stansted, then why would Wizz not consider a Gatwick route ?

FRatSTN
31st Jan 2020, 23:50
We seem to be forgetting that LGW is heavily slot constrained and is only going to get new business from Wizz on the basis they can secure optimally timed slots on a significaant scale - by all means this is increasingly plausiable with other airlines increasingly restructuring and, sadly, going out of business in todays market conditions, but until then any significant development from Wizz is unlikely. They will be for sure though looking to diversify beyond LTN.

c52
1st Feb 2020, 09:03
If they have a 'base' they need slots at prime times of the day. If they don't have a base they can continue to use the airport at the times they can squeeze in.

BAladdy
7th Feb 2020, 21:20
CX have suspended flights from LGW to HKG until 28th March

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/02/07/coronavirus-cathay-pacific-suspends-international-routes-until-march-28/

True Blue
7th Feb 2020, 22:17
Turkish appear to be transferring Ankara to Stn as well. What is happening with TK at Lgw, they seem to be falling out of love with it.

JW95
9th Feb 2020, 10:21
CX have suspended flights from LGW to HKG until 28th March

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/02/07/coronavirus-cathay-pacific-suspends-international-routes-until-march-28/

Does anyone know when the suspension is coming into effect? Reason for asking is I am supposed to be flying to HKG on Tuesday, and still have no idea what's happening...

True Blue
9th Feb 2020, 11:49
17th February

BAladdy
17th Feb 2020, 05:05
Egyptair are launching a weekly flight to SSH from 29th February

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289602/egyptair-resumes-sharm-el-sheikh-london-service-from-late-feb-2020/

davidjohnson6
22nd Feb 2020, 07:20
Atlantic Airways to operate 1x weekly to Vagar in the Faeroe Islands in peak summer

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289768/atlantic-airways-faroe-islands-adds-london-gatwick-service-in-s20/

BAladdy
3rd Mar 2020, 15:10
BA are transferring there seasonal flights to MLE from the start of the W20 schedule.

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Mar 2020, 16:57
BA are transferring there seasonal flights to MLE from the start of the W20 schedule.
Transferring to where? LHR?

ImPlaneCrazy
5th Mar 2020, 15:24
Any idea what's happening in Gatwick? A few GAs and diversions - looks as though the runway is unavailable?

BA318
5th Mar 2020, 15:28
Transferring to where? LHR?

You may have already seen but it's going to LHR and will be operated by a 777-300ER (more premium config).

oncemorealoft
5th Mar 2020, 15:32
Currently three EasyJet aircraft scheduled for LGW squawking 7700. One just arrived STN, another en route and third holding near MIdhurst.

flyerguy
5th Mar 2020, 15:33
Aircraft now on approach

rog747
5th Mar 2020, 15:39
Fuel emergency for them?

HeathrowAirport
27th Mar 2020, 19:32
Gatwick North Terminal closed UFN.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/gatwick-airport-closed-north-terminal-runway-flight-cancelled-coronavirus-a9430276.html

racedo
27th Mar 2020, 21:18
Gatwick North Terminal closed UFN.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/gatwick-airport-closed-north-terminal-runway-flight-cancelled-coronavirus-a9430276.html

Not a shock as was in airport 2 days ago, dropping someone friends off who heading to Romania, we had lots of time so ventured to North Terminal, Ghost Town is what it resembled. Crazy world at the moment.

pabely
30th Mar 2020, 19:26
Am I reading latest NOTAM update correctly, CAT10 cover only from 13:00 to 21:00 from April 1?

ETOPS
30th Mar 2020, 21:16
Hearing that all BA LGW flights to be suspended

Vokes55
31st Mar 2020, 00:48
Gatwick down to four departures today. Toronto (TS), Guernsey (GR), Dublin (FR) and Bucharest (W6)

inOban
31st Mar 2020, 11:12
Even Edinburgh has more! (3 LHR, 1 each to Dublin, AMS and Warsaw)

LTNman
31st Mar 2020, 11:16
Luton has a daily average of 11 return flights a day so is now London’s second busiest airport and probably the UK’s third.

(edit) Some fool has commented that I am celebrating this fact. Far from it, I find it shocking and depressing.