View Full Version : Norwegian-2

Pages : 1 [2]

PDXCWL45
12th Apr 2018, 13:28
DY is a good brand they may keep it
It could be possible they keep it and get rid of Vueling. Norwegian must have more brand recognition than Vueling Europe wide.

j636
12th Apr 2018, 14:26
It could be possible they keep it and get rid of Vueling. Norwegian must have more brand recognition than Vueling Europe wide.

If any brand was to go it would have to be Level.

Mr A Tis
12th Apr 2018, 14:27
Agree- a good fishing exercise.
However, if IAG were to proceed then it could conceivably put Norwegian in command of the Gatwick base (low cost) & effectively close down BA Gatwick (Higher cost).
However, my guess it's to see what financial state DY is in. This will decide if it needs to buy or watch from the sidelines.

RexBanner
12th Apr 2018, 14:42
if IAG were to proceed then it could conceivably put Norwegian in command of the Gatwick base (low cost) & effectively close down BA Gatwick (Higher cost).

What makes you think IAG are in the business of trashing yields? BA beach routes out of Gatwick are highly profitable. Something that can not be said of Norwegian’s highly marginal business.

22/04
12th Apr 2018, 14:46
I haven't seen the books.

Could it be bought or the liabilities taken on very cheaply then dismembered/rolled into existing brands with perhaps a small operation retained as DY.

I'm remembering Dan-Air.

UK ops would end I suspect - can't see them wanted to dilute the existing brands

12th Apr 2018, 18:13
I don't know what it is, or if it's just me, but is Norwegian's brand that good? I always forget it exists when I'm booking flights, and it seems to be that the name of a country is only a good brand in relation to people flying to that particular country!

racedo
12th Apr 2018, 22:01
Anyone else like me had the thought that this could be a fishing exercise to see just how bad the financials are at Norwegian? Obviously with any takeover bid IAG will be allowed full access to the books, warts and all.

Not sure where you got that idea from.

A takeover target has to provide Zero to the company attempting to take it over.

racedo
12th Apr 2018, 22:15
I haven't seen the books.

Could it be bought or the liabilities taken on very cheaply then dismembered/rolled into existing brands with perhaps a small operation retained as DY.

I'm remembering Dan-Air.

UK ops would end I suspect - can't see them wanted to dilute the existing brands

Liabilities are mainly to large banks who are not in the slightest interested in selling cheaply to anybody.

Norwegian have to do zilch.

Perhaps people need to remember the Ryanair - Aer Lingus battle. What exactly were Ryanair able to see of Aer Lingus's accounts other than what was freely available ?

Answer was NOTHING.

Perhaps would be an idea to understand who are the shareholders first.....

Bjorn Kros owns 27%
Norwegian Finans Holdings own 16.4%
Folketrygdfondet (Norwegian Pension fund) own 10%.
DNB Asset Management AS (Norwegian asset management) own 6%

Norwegian Air Shuttle company : Shareholders, managers and business summary | Oslo Bors: NAS | 4-Traders (http://www.4-traders.com/NORWEGIAN-AIR-SHUTTLE-1413204/company/)

60% of the company i owned by Norwegians or those with major business in whole of Norway.

Unless Kros sells there is Zero deal as the rest will be led by him.

toledoashley
13th Apr 2018, 05:36
The Scandinavian operation will be of interest to IAG as that is one hole in their network as a whole, I would have thought that would remain branded as Norwegian. Anything else, who knows?!

As racedo says, a buyout is dependant upon Bjorn and the Norwegians - and as they have said there have been no discussed yet, its going to be a while before we hear anything. In the meantime, you could of course see some other airlines/airline groups also take an interest!

HH6702
13th Apr 2018, 06:39
Wasn't IAG looking at buying into Finnair a year or so ago

davidjohnson6
13th Apr 2018, 08:15
Finnair is willing to sell itself to IAG but politicians in Finland do not like the idea

13th Apr 2018, 09:15
A takeover target doesn't *have* to show anyone anything; but if they are a willing target (Deutsche BA...) they will.

snn20
13th Apr 2018, 16:00
SNN-SWF going to 7x weekly from October, was originally supposed to be going from 2x to 4x

Buster the Bear
13th Apr 2018, 16:26
Having just returned from Austin, Norwegian comprehensively exceeded my expectations. A great product and staff that actually smile! All those Neo on order, access to Scandinavia, Gatwick slots and just importantly, pilots - no wonder IAG are looking at a possible take over!

toledoashley
13th Apr 2018, 17:46
Agree with you Buster, I was impressed when I flew with them to NYC.

TBSC
13th Apr 2018, 19:00
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/66221-norwegian-delays-canada-tatl-ops-argentina-ops-also-at-risk

Delivery of two aircraft being delayed a month is quite a lame excuse for all this.

RexBanner
13th Apr 2018, 19:03
Yeah I agree. After all who cares for niceties like sustainability and profitability? After all it’s not as if they’re just keeping prices low to gain market share after which they wouldn’t dream of increasing them.

(Professor Frink’s sarcasm detector not needed).

brian_dromey
13th Apr 2018, 20:32
The IAG move for Norwegian is interesting. Clearly IAG fancy wiping out a dangerous competitor, access to a large fleet of modern aircraft and trained crews. Norwegian also opens up a weak area for IAG - Scandinavia.

Unlike some posters I don’t see Norwegian being folded into BA/EI and Vueling. I think it is more likely to be run as an IAG brand, like Niki was planned to be. Norwegian rewards might be replaced by Avios and some functions brought onto the IAG platforms. The exception I could see is the LEVEL operations, I think they could well be folded into Norwegian and the LGW operations would surely be refocused to compete less directly with BA.

racedo
13th Apr 2018, 21:37
The IAG move for Norwegian is interesting. Clearly IAG fancy wiping out a dangerous competitor, access to a large fleet of modern aircraft and trained crews. Norwegian also opens up a weak area for IAG - Scandinavia.

Unlike some posters I don’t see Norwegian being folded into BA/EI and Vueling. I think it is more likely to be run as an IAG brand, like Niki was planned to be. Norwegian rewards might be replaced by Avios and some functions brought onto the IAG platforms. The exception I could see is the LEVEL operations, I think they could well be folded into Norwegian and the LGW operations would surely be refocused to compete less directly with BA.

Unless Kros has indicated that he is willing to exit and sell there is no deal.

Gut feeling at the moment is there is no deal in the offinf and it is a speculative punt by IAG to test the water for a sale and prevent anybody else getting involved.

Bearing in mind Brexit and the fact that IAG will have its own issues because it cannot be more than 50% owned by non EU shareholders I don't see this going anywhere.

In the event that the Airline is for sale I very much doubt that IAG will be the only bidder as would fully expect LH and AF to be in there as well.

Possibly a TPG group bid as well with Ryanair having a share but that looks like a long shot.

TBSC
13th Apr 2018, 21:49
Unless Kros has indicated that he is willing to exit and sell there is no deal.

He would be a fool not to take the last chance to get out before his house of cards collapses.

racedo
13th Apr 2018, 22:03
He would be a fool not to take the last chance to get out before his house of cards collapses.

You seem to assume his shareholders which ultimately are the Norwegian State will not back him.

Remember Norwegian Wealth Fund is worth in excess of $1 trillion, taking 1% and investing in Norwegian and see what happens.

TBSC
13th Apr 2018, 22:41
It was the industry-wide assumption about the ME3 too, even a year ago and then... I guess Norwegian state funds need to apply due diligence as well therefore the pocket is deep but not without limits.

El Bunto
14th Apr 2018, 07:06

He's not on the hook for any liabilities, so if it's as bad as the naysayers insist why not just ride it down to the crash? It never did any CEO any career-damage and it's not like he's desperate for one more krone to pay his mortgage.

Of course it might be that Mr Kros has slightly more information on the actual financial state of his companies...

racedo
14th Apr 2018, 12:42
It was the industry-wide assumption about the ME3 too, even a year ago and then... I guess Norwegian state funds need to apply due diligence as well therefore the pocket is deep but not without limits.

Norwegian Oil fund is worth 40% (and that was 6 months ago) of the size of whole UK economy.

Norway is allowed take $3 Billion a year from that as cash.

It could buy IAG in its Investment portfolio and it would seen as a minor investment.

racedo
14th Apr 2018, 12:47
Indeed. This regularly seems forgotten in the Norwegian bashing brigade. Yes no one denies they are pushing hard on expansion to the point even staff think christ... but the financial backing is huge.

I don't see Norwegian offering anything to IAG as a brand.

It does however offer significant competition to it across the Atlantic hence a need to snuff out the competition so price and yields TA can rise.

IAG requires BA to be fed at Heathrow for its TA service, Norwegian is offering customers a distinct choice and they are taking it.

tigertanaka
14th Apr 2018, 13:28
Norwegian Oil fund is worth 40% (and that was 6 months ago) of the size of whole UK economy.

Norway is allowed take $3 Billion a year from that as cash.

It could buy IAG in its Investment portfolio and it would seen as a minor investment.

The size of the Norwegian Sovereign Oil fund is irrelevant, they cannot cash it in tomorrow and it is not comparable to the size of the UK economy.

Who is to say that the find would actually want to invest in Norwegian? Throwing money around to support struggling companies is not something that investment funds do unless they can see a financial return, a proper business plan and a management team that can pull it off. I don't remember many political investments by the Norwegian Oil fund but I maybe wrong.

On the other hand, IAG can see clear synergies, it has a track record of running a financially successful airline and can also offer Kros an exit with the promise that the brand he has established will be preserved within the IAG stable.

racedo
14th Apr 2018, 13:36
The size of the Norwegian Sovereign Oil fund is irrelevant, they cannot cash it in tomorrow and it is not comparable to the size of the UK economy.

They can do what they like with it including cashing it in were they to choose.

Its size is very relevant because they can invest when and where they like and have already invested in Norwegian.

As for its size ................ being 40% of the size of UK economy is big, considering Norwegian whole economy is only 16% of its size.

Who is to say that the find would actually want to invest in Norwegian? Throwing money around to support struggling companies is not something that investment funds do unless they can see a financial return, a proper business plan and a management team that can pull it off. I don't remember many political investments by the Norwegian Oil fund but I maybe wrong.

Well they already have which blows that theory out the window.
Companies in high growth phases are not cash cows, they require huse levels of investment to invest for growth.

On the other hand, IAG can see clear synergies, it has a track record of running a financially successful airline and can also offer Kros an exit with the promise that the brand he has established will be preserved within the IAG stable.

IAG see getting Norwegian off the TA market and screwing their yields as the win here.

BA has a history of being involved in practices like this.................. Laker and Virgin spring easily to mind.

tigertanaka
14th Apr 2018, 21:40
They can do what they like with it including cashing it in were they to choose.

It is a sovereign wealth fund - by nature it is a long term investment fund.

Its size is very relevant because they can invest when and where they like and have already invested in Norwegian.

Well they already have which blows that theory out the window.
Companies in high growth phases are not cash cows, they require huse levels of investment to invest for growth.

It is not an Arabic wealth fund, EU state aid rules still apply. Just because they already own 10% doesn't give them a free hand to up their stake. In any event, the fund still has to believe that they will get a return on it.

As for its size ................ being 40% of the size of UK economy is big, considering Norwegian whole economy is only 16% of its size.

I was not disputing it's size, I was saying that you can't compare funds with GDP. They are not apples and apples. UK pension fund values are well in excess of the UK's GDP.

IAG see getting Norwegian off the TA market and screwing their yields as the win here.

BA has a history of being involved in practices like this.................. Laker and Virgin spring easily to mind.

Yes, I agree although there are lot of other reasons (IAG would also get access to a fairly new fleet, a load of pilots and the Scandinavian market). But if Kros does want to retire, IAG has the infrastructure in place to take over the business. Financial investors do not have that.

SWBKCB
15th Apr 2018, 06:03
EU state aid rules still apply.

Do EU state aid rules apply in Norway?

compton3bravo
15th Apr 2018, 06:21
As far as I am aware yes, they are not in the EU as such but have to abide by EU rules but have no say regarding laws, free movement etc. There are also in Schenghen.

Plane mad 134
18th Apr 2018, 15:44
Norwegian are expanding winter 18/19 service by adding extra frequencies on the following routes:

Dublin - Newburgh from 6 to 14 weekly

Dublin - Providence from 3 to 7 weekly

Edinburgh - Newburgh from 3 to 7 weekly

Shannon - Newburgh from 3 to 7 weekly

Information was found on routes online news

racedo
18th Apr 2018, 20:39
Norwegian are expanding winter 18/19 service by adding extra frequencies on the following routes:

Dublin - Newburgh from 6 to 14 weekly

Dublin - Providence from 3 to 7 weekly

Edinburgh - Newburgh from 3 to 7 weekly

Shannon - Newburgh from 3 to 7 weekly

Information was found on routes online news

Clearly Pax coming from somewhere and doubt its all new Pax henc why IAG need to strike and kill them.

compton3bravo
19th Apr 2018, 04:44
No Tango you kill them off and then put your prices up! You might not remember Laker, peoplExpess, etc.

N707ZS
19th Apr 2018, 05:26
Some people might be to young to remember the dirty tricks, Virgin wasn't accepted at first.

PDXCWL45
19th Apr 2018, 07:47
Wasn't that though British Airways? IAG bought Vueling and didn't shut them down as well as Aer Lingus. I don't think IAG will shut Norwegian down, trim their ops yes and make changes but the Norwegian brand will
stay.

nguba
19th Apr 2018, 08:24
BA has not bought a stake in Norwegian, “Brand Agnostic” IAG has.

If you look at Aer Lingus it has expanded with quite a lot of autonomy under IAG. It has kept partnerships with United and JetBlue and still hasn’t joined Oneworld or the AA/BA TATL JV.

An airline with a strong brand, particularly in regions where other IAG airlines are weak, is exactly what IAG wants and there’s
no way they would just kill it.

IAG’s modus operandi is quite transparent and they certainly don’t make life easy for BA.

Skipness One Echo
19th Apr 2018, 08:34
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2018/04/18/norwegian-air-boeing-787-orders-boc-aviation.html
IAG may just wait it out....

An airline with a strong brand, particularly in regions where other IAG airlines are weak, is exactly what IAG wants and there’s no way they would just kill it.
Actually they might.
What they may need to do is partially consolidate.
You didn't need both Opens Skies and Level, do you need Norwegian long haul out of Gatwick to JFK and LAX as well as SNN to PVD with Norwegian International? You need to avoid your subsidiaries undermining each other in key markets. Much of D8 is LGW which arguably is a better fit for an expanded BA otherwise you are still competing with yourself.
In long haul, non London 787 ops and Level would make sense to come together, would the brand be Norwegian? Possibly.

I never understood why Iberia Express wasn't the basis for Level, why they needed a fourth Spanish AOC......it's already becoming a bit of a mess. Remember IB/BA/EI are all former nationalised flag carriers with home brand advantage, that's core IAG. I2 and VY are IMHO a duplication as to some degree is D8 in Spain. At some point, and at some point soon, this gets top heavy if you're not careful, but the IAG track record thus far has been impressive if you discount Accenture Alex (my opinion).

inOban
19th Apr 2018, 08:52
Remember VY is Catalan, not Spanish.....

Skipness One Echo
19th Apr 2018, 10:06
Remember VY is Catalan, not Spanish.....
Now, now, take the trolling to twitter :)
#wellbefreeby93
* checks date

SWBKCB
19th Apr 2018, 16:20
Now, now, take the trolling to twitter :)
#wellbefreeby93
* checks date

Well...

The Autoritat Catalana de la Competencia (ACCO) says that a preliminary analysis shows that in the event of IAG acquiring control of the Oslo-based carrier there would be a "significant reduction" in competition due to the overlap in the two companies' route networks.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/regulator-flags-concerns-over-possible-iag-norwegian-447839/

Heathrow Harry
19th Apr 2018, 17:43
BA hate Gatwick

VickersVicount
19th Apr 2018, 18:56
BA hate Gatwick
Think they try their best with what they have got, lower yielding cohort, smaller connections, high low-cost competition... but an enlarging presence of late, commitment to long haul albeit leisure orientated and a little erratic, significant investment eg lounges etc.. I think 'hate' is a little harsh.

Skipness One Echo
19th Apr 2018, 19:44
BA are the biggest they’ve been at Gatters in about 15 years, and oddly enough the hard product in the LGW A320 series will be better than than the shiny new NEOs at LHR.....

Fairdealfrank
19th Apr 2018, 22:48

Norway is allowed take $3 Billion a year from that as cash.Why the hell did the UK not set up a sovereign wealth fund back in the 1970s/1980s!

I don't see Norwegian offering anything to IAG as a brand.As a brand maybe not, but it does offer an opportunity to:
(1) boost its long haul no-frills operations at a LGW base;
(2) boost its short haul no-frills operations and create an LGW-based equivelant of VY;
(3) acquire some LGW slots;
(4) obtain a bigger slice of the TATL pie;
(5) take on U2 on LGW shorthaul.

Quote:
EU state aid rules still apply.
Do EU state aid rules apply in Norway?

As far as I am aware yes, they are not in the EU as such but have to abide by EU rules but have no say regarding laws, free movement etc. There are also in Schenghen. Sounds like a "vassal state"! It's "government by fax".

The UK is headed in exactly the same direction if the never-ending "transition" period is enacted.

No Tango you kill them off and then put your prices up! You might not remember Laker, peoplExpess, etc.
Laker was brought down by collusion on the part of the LHR-JFK trans-Atlantic airlines (AI, BA, PA and TW). They undercut Laker on some economy fares whilst offering flights ex-LHR, a choice of several daily departures, and the possibility of through ticketing for transfer pax.

That apart, all LGW-based UK carriers failed sooner or later (Brtish United, Caledonian, etc.) because of the lack of premium pax and the lack of a hub/available connections at LGW. VS survived because it shifted accross to LHR in the 1990s.

That was then, times have changed.

Acquiring DY/D8 would give IAG access to both the legacy and no-frills sectors. Clearly the acqisition of VY and the creation of Level shows that IAG has an interest in this sector and at having a bite of the Gatwick no-frills cake.

Wasn't that though British Airways? IAG bought Vueling and didn't shut them down as well as Aer Lingus. I don't think IAG will shut Norwegian down, trim their ops yes and make changes but the Norwegian brand will
stay. On the other hand, BD was closed down.

BA hate Gatwick Maybe, maybe not, who knows, but it has to live with it because LHR only has 2 rwys. However, it isn't BA that may buy BY/D8.

ManUtd1999
20th Apr 2018, 10:44
I don't see Norwegian offering anything to IAG as a brand.

I think it would quite a good fit actually. IAG is clearly looking to move into the "millennial" market with Level and new additions such as Basic fares on BA longhaul. Norwegian is perfectly placed for that.

On long-haul IAG can simply close Level and allow Norwegian to continue growing their point-to-point routes across Europe. BA could reduce their LH presence at LGW, probably just keeping the Caribbean network which fits well with BA Holidays. As a group, IAG would have LHR/MAD/DUB as their hubs focusing on business travel and connections, then Norwegian focusing more on point-to-point leisure. Each airline gets to focus on what it does best without having to try and compete with each other.

Short-haul is more of a problem. I guess Norwegian could take over some of BA routes at LGW but there is still going to be significant overlap. IAG would presumably prefer a single LCC. In terms of brand awareness, Norwegian is much better known outside of Spain and even within Spain the Vueling brand has taken a bit of a hit in recent years. There's a good argument for merging Vueling into Norwegian. TO effectively close down Vueling would be a big step for IAG though and it seems unlikely.

vectisman
20th Apr 2018, 12:16
I think you will find that if IAG buy Norwegian BA will expand further at Gatwick. IAG are fairly consistent that London is BA be it LHR, LGW, LCY. I can see Norwegian/Level being responsible for low cost long haul elsewhere in Europe apart from Dublin and Madrid. Norwegian short haul will probably stay as it is apart from Sun routes to Europe from Gatwick. Other minor subsidiaries will be shut. IAG will then have companies serving all markets in a fairly simple and cost effective structure.

mik3bravo
20th Apr 2018, 22:57
Used them on a Gatwick to JFK recently. Was supposed to be the Dreamliner both legs.

Outbound to JFK was almost 5 hours delayed. They rocked up in a clapped out A340. Business class was a disaster. They used HiFly to infill. Christ!

Inbound from JFK they again used HiFly. This time they rocked up with A330. That went tech due to avionics gremlins in flight deck. They cancelled the flight.

No direct Gatwick inbound seats available with them for 2 days. Only way back to Gatwick on sane departure date was fly to Oslo then backtrack to Gatwick.

On the upside the JFK to Oslo was Norwegian and on a Dreamliner. Transferred to B737 Oslo to Gatwick.

Norwegian need to dump HiFly. Totally sh1t setup. Aircraft were dated and nothing really worked in business class. Toilets were disgusting. In flight was poor.

Based on that 1st time experience I won't use Norwegian again. Neither will the other 4 business colleagues in my company. Complete amateur's trying to run transatlantic services. Never again. Steer clear of them. Use Virgin or BA.

flyguy1988
21st Apr 2018, 01:37
With regards to the last comment, the use of Hi-Fly is to do with the engine issues with the Dreamliner - the same issues Virgin (and many other airlines) have had which caused them to bring A340’s out of retirement to cover!

Unfortunately Norwegian do not have that luxury and therefore do whatever else they can to ensure they aren’t cancelling your flight!

Regardless of who you fly with, tech issues happen to everyone. Some may be better prepared but they are also a lot more experienced with Long Haul Ops!

True Blue
21st Apr 2018, 22:45
mik3bravo

Using the same thought process, if you had a bad experience in a hospital would you refuse to use it again if you fell ill? Sadly it is possible to have a bad experience in just about every walk in life, but maybe not the best decision to say never going there again. You will quickly run out of options. I have had flights cancelled by BA with not a care to the disruption caused.

racedo
22nd Apr 2018, 13:03
mik3bravo

Using the same thought process, if you had a bad experience in a hospital would you refuse to use it again if you fell ill?

Or on the 1st night of the Honeymoon

AerRyan
22nd Apr 2018, 14:17
mik3bravo

Using the same thought process, if you had a bad experience in a hospital would you refuse to use it again if you fell ill? Sadly it is possible to have a bad experience in just about every walk in life, but maybe not the best decision to say never going there again. You will quickly run out of options. I have had flights cancelled by BA with not a care to the disruption caused.

No, but you'd try to use a different one, in both analogies. This isn't very hard in Belfast, it being only a short journey to Dublin.

SealinkBF
22nd Apr 2018, 17:16
Norwegian don't offer business class... so if you were expecting anything more than PE then you would be disappointed.

And yes, first impressions do count for a lot.

If you had a bad experience in a hospital, I would try and use a different one next time, of course I would. If you had a bad first date then I probably wouldn't go for a second - the wedding scenario isn't really the same thing.

mik3bravo
23rd Apr 2018, 17:24
Meant PE not business. As it happened when they managed to get us a couple of PE seats on their Dreamliner from JFK to Oslo, it was nice and Norwegian cabin crew were attentive.

However when the substituted Norwegian for HiFly, it was really very poor. The planes interiors seen better days. PE seats not working properly. Entertainment screens had either no sound, faulty headphone jack sockets, remote controls not working, in flight service was extremely low quality, food services up was not great. People's reactions in PE was dismay. It was a series of comedy errors. I suppose a lesson learned - next time I'll use an established carrier on that trans Atlantic route. HiFly just not up to par. They had more delays and pulled flights on that HiFly route. I was stuck last minute with need to book a flight urgently. The Norwegian Oslo to Gatwick was fine, no issues at all.

racedo
5th May 2018, 10:45
https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/walsh-could-bail-on-deal-as-he-plays-hard-ball-with-norwegian-36875457.html

Not a real surprise because it appears IAG didn't really read the share register or talk to major shareholders in advance of this.

Figure if someone want to approach company direct and do a tie up it could happen while respecting the companys name, reputation and origins.

Does Norway breed racehorses ?

VickersVicount
1st Jun 2018, 17:43
2 more Norwegian transatlantic routes gone this time from Scandinavia to LAS and OAK.
How many transatlantic routes have they once started then canned and presumably less than theyve commenced.

toledoashley
1st Jun 2018, 19:05
VickersVicount - I would expect more to come...

racedo
2nd Jun 2018, 09:01
2 more Norwegian transatlantic routes gone this time from Scandinavia to LAS and OAK.
How many transatlantic routes have they once started then canned and presumably less than theyve commenced.

Try routes and if they don't work as well as expcted then can them.................... no different from any other airline

spacedog
2nd Jun 2018, 10:31
Try routes and if they don't work as well as expcted then can them.................... no different from any other airline

That works well if you are financialy sound and you have a solid balance sheet.
Norwegian are not in that position, they are loosing money and large amounts.
The business model is built around the price of cheap oil. Oil is on the.move and likely to go Higher.
i don’t think think IAG have fully walked away, I would expect further developments on this front.

adfly
2nd Jun 2018, 11:02
Let's add some context to this; ARN-OAK and LAS have both been pulled due to Sweden's implementation of a significant APD style aviation tax of approximately $48 to meet sustainable development targets. Presumably they were the least profitable/most loss making routes and have been canned as the additional cost has made them un-viable to operate.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/norwegian-axes-two-direct-flights-between-stockholm-and-the-us--in-response-to-swedish-governments-new-policy--

racedo
2nd Jun 2018, 22:48
That works well if you are financialy sound and you have a solid balance sheet.
Norwegian are not in that position, they are loosing money and large amounts.
The business model is built around the price of cheap oil. Oil is on the.move and likely to go Higher.
i don’t think think IAG have fully walked away, I would expect further developments on this front.

No it doesn't.
If your routes are underperforming you kill them................. end of story.
Nothing gained by holding onto route where people and profits aren't there.
Frankly its a way to go bust.

SWBKCB
3rd Jun 2018, 09:28
Chuck it against the wall and see what sticks is a bigger risk in longhaul because of the greater costs involved.

Makes you wonder about the quality of the advance planning. Presumably this Swedish tax didn't just appear out of nowhere?

toledoashley
25th Jun 2018, 08:01
New route from Gatwick to Tampa - 2x per week starting 31 October. (Wednesday and Saturday)

Speedbrakes Up
25th Jun 2018, 19:11
new route announcement today, excellent is that on a Norwegian 787 or a leased A340/A330 or perhaps a 747.

Lots of on going issues with the 787 due to the rolls Royce engine issues.
Yes I know this is effecting every rolls Royce operator, but when you get a completely different aircraft, operating a service below what you expect it's not good for customer retention .

​​​​​

Buster the Bear
27th Jun 2018, 11:30
Norwegian will retrofit its existing fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft with an upgraded, more spacious cabin featuring new lighter and comfier slimline seats.

Is this to help increase range?

GAZMO
27th Jun 2018, 12:50
It will reduce fuel burn mainly
see attached article
https://nitravelnews.com/news/norwegian-introduces-new-slimline-seats-to-transatlantic-flights/

Shamrock350
27th Jun 2018, 13:45
Seat width will go from 17.2" to 16.8" in the new cabin. Spacious? Comfier?

29Alpha
27th Jun 2018, 14:02
It will reduce fuel burn mainly
see attached article
https://nitravelnews.com/news/norwegian-introduces-new-slimline-seats-to-transatlantic-flights/
nice to see they cant even find the correct aircraft to picture

Plane.Silly
27th Jun 2018, 14:43
Seat width will go from 17.2" to 16.8" in the new cabin. Spacious? Comfier?

So they shave 1cm off each seat. Might just be me being picky, but would that really save much Fuel burn. Could see each seat maybe saving about 1kg each each so x 189 = upto 189kgs / around 400lb. All it takes is a few extra large passengers to undo all the hard work (assuming they could sit in the new seat in the first place

Smooth Airperator
28th Jun 2018, 10:15
Norway disposes of remaining SAS equity (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/68505-norway-disposes-of-remaining-sas-equity)

Could this pave the way for Norwegian Longhaul to get overfly permission over Siberian airspace? This was the Russian justification originally (only one airline per country allowed). Was it done deliberately for this purpose?

BA318
28th Jun 2018, 11:28
Norway disposes of remaining SAS equity (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/68505-norway-disposes-of-remaining-sas-equity)

Could this pave the way for Norwegian Longhaul to get overfly permission over Siberian airspace? This was the Russian justification originally (only one airline per country allowed). Was it done deliberately for this purpose?

No. Norway has a Conservative government who want to sell off assets. As far as I am aware, there are no plans to buy into Norwegian or support Norwegian any more than SAS.

Captain_Caveman
28th Jun 2018, 19:21
So they shave 1cm off each seat. Might just be me being picky, but would that really save much Fuel burn. Could see each seat maybe saving about 1kg each each so x 189 = upto 189kgs / around 400lb. All it takes is a few extra large passengers to undo all the hard work (assuming they could sit in the new seat in the first place

I think your logic might be flawed imho because the plane would still be 400lb lighter than it would have been with the old seats in rather than the new ones!

Plane.Silly
29th Jun 2018, 09:56
I think your logic might be flawed imho because the plane would still be 400lb lighter than it would have been with the old seats in rather than the new ones!

Yes the plane would be lighter with 0 pax, but as i mentioned, all the hard work of shedding the weight could be outdone by the people coming onto the plane.
Unless Norwegian are willing to weigh pax before embarking, then overcharging for the larger pax. Similar to a couple of Pacific operators i can't remember the name of...

pwalhx
29th Jun 2018, 20:05
Yes the plane would be lighter with 0 pax, but as i mentioned, all the hard work of shedding the weight could be outdone by the people coming onto the plane.
Unless Norwegian are willing to weigh pax before embarking, then overcharging for the larger pax. Similar to a couple of Pacific operators i can't remember the name of...
Surely the average weight of passenger is not just going to increase because the seats are lighter.

gd44
29th Jun 2018, 23:02

If there are 100 passengers that weigh 90kg each that’s 9000kg.

if the DOW of the aeroplane is 45000kg and you add the pax, that’s 54000kg...

If the aeroplane has lighter seats and the DOW decreases to say 44750kg and you add those same passengers, that’s 53750kg...

Lets assume in both cases 5 ‘large’ passengers board at a combined 1000kg...(chunky, but easy maths)

55000 vs 54750...the aircraft always weighs less with the new seats, hence it requires less fuel to take the same passengers across the same distance in the same conditions...

It’s very simple maths and when you scale that across an entire fleet, say 100 aeroplanes, that’s 25,000kg saved across the fleet in this example and some serious $$$ off your fleets fuel bill.

So no, the hard work isn’t ‘outdone’ by increasing the payload.

*The example is hypothetical and I’ve made no attempt to reflect the true weights of pax or the MAX’ DOW

LGS6753
30th Jun 2018, 09:25
Norwegian are saving 400kg on every flight made by the modified aircraft. No doubt someone with access to tech data will be able to calculate what that means in terms of reduced fuel burn. The only calculation needed is the cost of the refurb (including AOG time) v fuel saving. By adding in cost of capital, you will get a payback period, and management must judge whether that suits their financial objectives.
The weight of passengers is a red herring. Their weight will not be affected by Norwegian's seats!

EIFFS
30th Jun 2018, 16:34
Every little helps, I’ve done a few flights where we were at MTOM the burn is way lower than the NG

Buster the Bear
17th Aug 2018, 13:06
OUCH!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/norwegian-air-s-irish-subsidiary-reports-445-7m-loss-1.3599405

Richard Taylor
17th Aug 2018, 15:41
That surely cannot be sustainable without at least a rather large haircut? :eek:

toledoashley
17th Aug 2018, 18:42
To be fair that is referring to only 2017 where they spent ridiculous money on expansion in all areas.
2018 so far panning out a bit differently..

That is (and was) the plan. The only real change at Gatwick for next year looks to be switching Singapore with either Sao Paulo or Rio.

29Alpha
17th Aug 2018, 20:21
Norwegian are saving 400kg on every flight made by the modified aircraft. No doubt someone with access to tech data will be able to calculate what that means in terms of reduced fuel burn. The only calculation needed is the cost of the refurb (including AOG time) v fuel saving. By adding in cost of capital, you will get a payback period, and management must judge whether that suits their financial objectives.
The weight of passengers is a red herring. Their weight will not be affected by Norwegian's seats!
i am afraid the weight of the passengers is extremely important. How can the crew get their weights and calculate the weight of the aircraft and the fuel required??

29Alpha
17th Aug 2018, 22:41
Yeah that wasn't what was being said. :ugh:

He/She was meaning that heavier passengers these days is irrelevant to the point that a refurb with lighter seats means it will be lighter than before, regardless of the fact that more and more people are fatties.
yes thats allright then lol

LGS6753
18th Aug 2018, 18:57
Sounds like I've been Tango Alphad!

Your explanation was clearer than mine, thanks.

EIFFS
19th Aug 2018, 21:42
Well it looks like the A380 might be back in September for an extended period according to the cleaners.

compton3bravo
7th Sep 2018, 20:25
Travel Weekly is reporting that all the airlines A320neos are up for sale - about 100 aircraft. Six Boeing 737s were also disposed of last week. Also the airline is due to start domestic services in Argentina shortly. Not very good timing considering the state that country is in at the moment.

canberra97
7th Sep 2018, 20:45
Travel Weekly is reporting that all the airlines A320neos are up for sale - about 100 aircraft. Six Boeing 737s were also disposed of last week. Also the airline is due to start domestic services in Argentina shortly. Not very good timing considering the state that country is in at the moment.

It was always Norwegians intention to sell those A320neos as they never intended to operate them themselves. They had early delivery slots from Airbus and ordered them for a quick resale.

Older B737's are being withdrawn from service and sold on as the airline receives their new B737 MAX.

Both aren't really newsworthy as it was always the airlines intention to do so.

toledoashley
8th Sep 2018, 06:54
I believe Norwegians initial intention was to lease the 320's out, but haven't really found a suitable market apart from HK. Its to be seen if Norwegian are able to make a bit of a premium on it with early slots - which could be interesting for a number of airlines with capacity constraints.

Alteagod
8th Sep 2018, 21:16
Have heard whispers of a potential rumour that Norwegian to start domestic UK ops to feed into there TA operation at LGW

HH6702
8th Sep 2018, 21:23
Really

which airports could they be adding to make any real benefits for not flying direct

NCL,LBA,BHX,BRS,ABD

cant see it working but stranger things have happened

davidjohnson6
8th Sep 2018, 21:35
HH - please tell me you're having a bit of a giggle with the idea of flights from Bristol to Gatwick...

_aax1
8th Sep 2018, 21:45
It's Little Red all over again.

With EZY, BA, BE and FR £10 fares they wont get any point to point traffic.

toledoashley
9th Sep 2018, 07:26
I have been told nothing new for Summer 2019, apart from a couple of small changes on Short Haul from LGW (I think Rhodes and Aarlborg are going), along with the swap from Singapore to a 'Latin American destination' (i.e Rio).

VickersVicount
9th Sep 2018, 08:15
The swap from Singapore to Rio has beem formally announced earlier this week.
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/norwegian-to-ditch-gatwick-singapore-but-add-rio-15381
Would be surprised to see internal domestic on a big 180+ seater unless they are sitting on the ground somewhere idle... but even then.
Think narrowbody transatlantic the next for a major reshuffle /cull /redeployment.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Sep 2018, 08:29
Okay a good rumour, but think about it, where are they going to get slots from.

Flightrider
9th Sep 2018, 08:32
Gatwick remedy slots for Belfast given up by Ryanair?

toledoashley
9th Sep 2018, 08:38
Gatwick remedy slots for Belfast given up by Ryanair?

That's an interesting idea as you could do LGW-BFS-SWF with one aircraft.

_aax1
9th Sep 2018, 10:24
That's an interesting idea as you could do LGW-BFS-SWF with one aircraft.

Or you could do LGW-JFK in one sector and actually be in NYC at the end of the flight.

Alteagod
9th Sep 2018, 10:43
I understand 3 times dailly BHD-LGW-BHD
ALC/PMI at weekend with a BHD based A/C. So crazy a rumour probably based on some solid chatter. Do Norwegian have normal 737s to do that?

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 11:25
It's all rumor. We will only get it confirmed through the normal channels
When the tow bar is left out at stand 6 by accident !!

j636
9th Sep 2018, 11:57
I understand 3 times dailly BHD-LGW-BHD
ALC/PMI at weekend with a BHD based A/C. So crazy a rumour probably based on some solid chatter. Do Norwegian have normal 737s to do that?

Would be a major win for BHD but would have to be MAX particularly to Spain.

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 14:12
Norwegian do not have any interest in UK domestic services. Especially when an arrangement for connections is already in place with easyJet at LGW. To suggest that Norwegian are flying from BHD to LGW ALC and PMI is most probably some little third party ticket desk agent from Belfast with wishful thinking. Probably been told bollix from Katy Best. Aer Lingus axed them. Jetsgo dident go but after all its a rumour network.

Alteagod
9th Sep 2018, 16:50
Gosh to be so high and mighty. Is it lonely at the top of that ivory tower. ALL airlines and AIRPORTS have regular discussions to see if better deals and costs can be achieved. It would be a foolish board in any business that did not explore all options even the outlandish to us outsiders especially in aviation where margins are minimal and handling contracts for example can be lost over literally a couple of pounds per turnaround.

West Brit
9th Sep 2018, 19:20
Altea, you suggested earlier this year that FR may operate LGW/BHD, have Norwegian trumped that option now?

EIFFS
9th Sep 2018, 19:49
I don’t see the synergy of LGW BHD LGW for Norwegian, the NG could do it, but I wouldn’t want to land the MAX at BHD with a full load, it’s not even on our alternate list.

Going onto BFS LGW against EasyJet seems a bit pointless, the idea that you could launch from LGW to BFS then onto SWF doesn’t fly either the crew need 90 minutes preflight, the aircraft needs an ETOPS check before an ETOPS flight.

The SWF aircraft is on the ground at BFS for around 6 hours so you can’t do much with out risking delay to the outbound back to the US.

NWSRG
9th Sep 2018, 19:56
Does seem strange that Norwegian would enter a competitive market to London rather than try to make the BFS routes (with no competition) successful. But who knows...

I used the PVD service in August and was very impressed...but most of all, both outbound and return were pretty well full. The outbound had a very high proportion (or so it seemed) of US customers, which I thought boded well...

EI-BUD
9th Sep 2018, 20:33
Sorry to rain on anybody's parade but couple of things;

Remedy slots are gone.
Ryanair didn't find this LGW BFS routing attractive, so much so they sacrificed it, and maintained other routes that could have been reopened in time
Norwegian has a deal with EZY at LGW, using slots to competev would be counter productive
BHD unfortunately is as its always been unattractive for locos as the day is short with 2130 closure and 0630 opening. Hence instead of 4 or 5 rotations its most likely only 3. Huge inefficiency for the economics of an aircraft, particularly Loco. EI BA and BE see it as being niche and away from the big boys and suppossedly at a premium in terms of revenue per pax.
If Norwegian needs to use slots out of LGW for what would be as best a marginal route, with an the long haul opportunities that they have, then things are in very rough shape.

​​​​​​Despite this, with the investment that BHD is making, I'd be surprised if something wasn't in the pipeline. Hard to see what it might be though.

pee
18th Sep 2018, 16:27
I've reviewed some prices on Norwegian's website this morning and again in the afternoon. The October prices on some routes I was interested in have changed very dramatically in that short time. They are roughly... three times higher now. For example HEL-CPH 260,59 € LowFare return being cheapest fare of the month. I hope it is only a computer glitch, otherwise I'd feel very sorry for them, as it would not predict well.

inOban
18th Sep 2018, 19:56
Exactly the same on all routes from EDI.

Flightrider
18th Sep 2018, 20:22
Just done a quick search through a few routes, long-haul and short-haul. Selling prices have absolutely shot up - LGW/FLL at minimum of £464 one-way from October onwards right through next summer and short-haul pricing looks a lot higher too. This is either a systems cock-up or a determined policy - the higher pricing is too consistent to be demand-driven. Something's afoot, I'd say.

toledoashley
18th Sep 2018, 20:26
The website says there is a 'technical problem', connected?

toledoashley
18th Sep 2018, 21:20
There was an issue where the system was selling fares at 'super crazy' low fares, so they have hiked pricing while they sort it out. Sounds like the plan is to honour the 'super crazy' cheap fares.

OxfordGold
19th Sep 2018, 18:23
If you ran a few business you accountant would try to get you to run a loss to offset tax!

Did BMI ever make a profit?!!

OltonPete
19th Sep 2018, 19:24
No sign of any let up with 787 engine maintenance - 4 x Norwegian 789's now at BHX with at least two on the terminal remotes.

Not sure if any were actually inside MAEL..

Amazing to have 4 on maintenance at any one time let alone at one facility.

Pete

LGS6753
19th Sep 2018, 19:46
If you ran a few business you accountant would try to get you to run a loss to offset tax!
What a load of b0ll0x!
Having run numerous businesses, public and private, I have never received advice like that from an accountant.

longer ron
23rd Sep 2018, 22:36
We have just returned from a trip to colorado - we had to book at fairly short notice which meant that any flights from up here in Scotland were extortionate (£1200+ each and all indirect flights),after examining a few options (all indirect) we took a calculated risk and booked LGW - Denver non stop/direct with Norwegian for the cheapest fare I have ever paid for a transatlantic flight.
We departed on time from LGW in a 787 (I would rather have been in a 747/757 etc :)) had a very tasty meal and arrived safely on time,we had booked the normal cattle class (not the absolute cheapest fare),legroom was just about ok for me (5' 11''/182cms) and comfy enough with a couple of walkabouts occasionally.
We returned last thur/fri,there was a delay with the incoming a/c (weather delay ?) so we boarded just over an hour late - then Capt Jinx told us we would still arrive on time LOL - shortly afterwards there was a further delay (slight tech issue ??) and we departed approx 2 hours late but had a reasonable tailwind (720 GS at one stage) and arrived at LGW perhaps 1 hour late (cannot remember exact times),the meal on the return journey was extremely bland but we survived it LOL
So the trip was successful - we had a great holiday and Norwegian flew us safely both ways for a good price,even with the long drive down to LGW and car parking etc we saved lots of dosh,and we visited friends on the drive back north anyway to make the most of the long drive.

Captain_Caveman
24th Sep 2018, 18:42
All Norweigan transatlantic flights from belfast to be terminated following in footsteps of same announcement from Edinburgh a few days ago... looks like the plan to fly to random east coast airports wasn’t such a money winner after all. Who would have thought !

toledoashley
24th Sep 2018, 21:12
All Norweigan transatlantic flights from belfast to be terminated following in footsteps of same announcement from Edinburgh a few days ago... looks like the plan to fly to random east coast airports wasn’t such a money winner after all. Who would have thought !

Not exactly, EDI has been cancelled because of APD and BFS cancelled because of leakage to DUB. I know this is the has been the case for some time, and Norwegian have just shifted the capacity to Ireland instead and fleshed out the DUB schedule as well as SNN and ORK.

VickersVicount
24th Sep 2018, 21:18
APD and leakage both account to the same thing- they couldnt make it work!

toledoashley
24th Sep 2018, 21:45
APD and leakage both account to the same thing- they couldnt make it work!

It does work from Ireland though, which is why they are increasing SWF and PVD from DUB.

Captain_Caveman
24th Sep 2018, 22:57
It does work from Ireland though, which is why they are increasing SWF and PVD from DUB.

i didn’t mention dublin, I said Belfast and Edinburgh. It’s clear that there is not enough demand for flights from these airports to the east coast to make a profit ! IMHO I think their narrowbody transatlantic operation will end up being a very niche part of their overall network unless they change their choice of American airports.

True Blue
8th Oct 2018, 20:26
NewsNow: Loading story... (http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/957684035?-303:3665)

Link to a story that Norwegian now a bigger carrier in the New York area than BA.

apaul
9th Oct 2018, 18:44
I can guess which airline is making more money flying to the New York area.

CabinCrewe
9th Oct 2018, 19:30
and which one might be making any money on NYC routes in a few years!

EI-BUD
23rd Oct 2018, 06:01
All gone very quiet on the Norwegian front?

Have they sufficiently steadied the ship or how is the fuel price increase impacting them? Will a deal be done quietly with IAG? Not sure when the next trading update is due...

toledoashley
23rd Oct 2018, 07:55
The South American route (we all know what it is!) is going to be announced at the end of November. There is an ambition to cease all wet leasing, so there are going to be some reductions in France and Italy to counter that.

Next trading announcement I believe is the middle of November.

EIFFS
23rd Oct 2018, 22:07
The South American route (we all know what it is!) is going to be announced at the end of November. There is an ambition to cease all wet leasing, so there are going to be some reductions in France and Italy to counter that.

Next trading announcement I believe is the middle of November.

I believe next trading announcement is tomorrow.

Share price well down down the last 10 days.

toledoashley
24th Oct 2018, 05:49

Most airline share prices are down - just look at easyJet or Wizzair, even Ryanair - they are all down. Must have been getting confused with flyBe, their results are November.

EIFFS
24th Oct 2018, 14:12
My bad Q3 results released tomorrow morning at 08:30 ������

racedo
24th Oct 2018, 15:11

https://investor.ryanair.com/share-price/

This allows comparables between airlines and as someone else said they are all down.

Put it down to
Oil Prices
World uncertainity
Brexit
Time of year

Seljuk22
26th Oct 2018, 16:13
Share price up from 18 on Tuesday to 23 EUR by today. Looking at the whole market this is a nice performance. Any take over rumours behind thins?

Trav a la
3rd Nov 2018, 10:39
From a Reuters news feed.

Norwegian Air sells five Airbus 320neo aircraft.

Budget airline Norwegian Air has agreed to sell five Airbus 320neo aircraft as a part of its plan to ease capital commitments and strengthen its balance sheet.

The aircraft, which will be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2018, are currently leased out and not operated by Norwegian Air, the company said on Friday.

"Sale proceeds will be used to repay debt and to increase the Company´s liquidity," Norwegian Air said.

Liquidity is expected to increase by $62 million after the repayment of debt, it said.

Norwegian Air has committed to buying 210 new aircraft from BoeingBA.N (http://uk.reuters.com/business/quotes/overview?utm_source=applenews&symbol=BA.N) and AirbusAIR.PA (http://uk.reuters.com/business/quotes/overview?utm_source=applenews&symbol=AIR.PA) by 2020 and has said as many as 140 planes could be sold over time as a part of the renewal of its fleet and to help reduce debt.

Norwegian Air said last week it is in advanced talks with an unnamed partner on a fleet joint venture and hopes to give more information before the end of the year.

Europe's third-largest budget carrier by passenger numbers has grown rapidly, but fast growth has left it under pressure to control costs and shore up its balance sheet.

VickersVicount
26th Dec 2018, 18:53
Sounds like the doom mongers will need to hang fire for another while as it seems Norwegian has secured funding to see it through 2019 (although im sure things can still take a downturn)

LGS6753
27th Dec 2018, 09:46
More here from Travel Mole:
https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~T_mdT_Y!&w_id=35621&news_id=2035455

pabely
27th Dec 2018, 09:57
Isn't the immediate problem the 31st December with some very interest of bond payment rather than Q1 19?

EIFFS
27th Dec 2018, 15:25
I believe the 31st bond payment is fully covered.

racedo
24th Jan 2019, 13:41
https://www.independent.ie/business/world/iag-wont-bid-for-norwegian-37745153.html

IAG pull out of making any bid for Norwegian and will dispose of their stake.

Not a real shock as when they bought it was clear that with the existing shareholding there was no chance of a takeover unless Norwegian Govt with consent of Bjorn decided to sell. I viewed that then as no chance and IAG's attempt to buy shares to scare them into selling was looking likely to fall flat on its face.

Give it a couple of months and look what has happened. Clearly Norwegian founder told IAG to GFY, guess when you have Govt backing with deep pockets and supporting what they see as a National Champion a bid is always doomed to fail.

racedo
24th Jan 2019, 20:35
I'm really hoping you are right Racedo.. I really do.

There is a sizeable Norwegian Govt block at Dec 2017 of over 30% via various means. Norwegian Govt via their Rainy Day fund could chuck in a billion and it wouldn't be noticed on their fund. As said when IAG bought the stake, unless Bjorn is interested in selling, IAG was wasting its money and time.

Norwegian Govt Wealth fund could buy IAG from its petty cash as its wealth fund is worth over $1 trillion, well that was in 2017 so they probably added a bit since then.

compton3bravo
25th Jan 2019, 08:55
That is what comes from not selling the family silver like succesive UK governments have over the years.

racedo
25th Jan 2019, 15:28
That is what comes from not selling the family silver like succesive UK governments have over the years.

It is not coming from that but using Tax Revenue from Oil for longer term rather than day to day spending. The family silver was nationalised industrys which needed to be sold BUT the proceeds could have been used for long term planning rather than tax cuts to buy an election.

compton3bravo
29th Jan 2019, 08:32
Just been announced at 9am GMT that the airline is seeking a cash injection of 268 million pounds from its shareholders to improve its balance sheet or to put it another way to keep it flying. Throwing good money after bad?

LGS6753
29th Jan 2019, 09:06
Shares down over 30%, plans to "divest aeroplanes", postpone deliveries and continue with a NKr2bn cost saving plan.

Hotel Tango
29th Jan 2019, 11:38
Oh dear, the signs point to a rough ride ahead. Is this the beginning of the end?

compton3bravo
29th Jan 2019, 11:52
Loss for 2018 £200 million up from £170 million in 2017. Cannot go on losing money like that, something has got to give I am afraid.

Buster the Bear
29th Jan 2019, 12:01
Share price tumbling, prime for a take over with Lufthansa being mentioned only yesterday.

Pain in the R's
29th Jan 2019, 12:07
Surprised no one has thought of a way to blame Brexit

SWBKCB
29th Jan 2019, 12:08
Following IAG’s acquisition of what was then a 4.6% stake in the airline in April 2018, Norwegian said it received approaches from "several parties" who expressed an interest for "structural transactions", financing the carrier and in various forms of "operational and financial cooperation",

It says discussions with such parties have been ongoing on "several levels and with different approaches".

Flight - Norwegian open to 'consolidation' talks after IAG exit (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/norwegian-open-to-consolidation-talks-after-iag-ex-455364/)

racedo
29th Jan 2019, 23:01
Just been announced at 9am GMT that the airline is seeking a cash injection of 268 million pounds from its shareholders to improve its balance sheet or to put it another way to keep it flying. Throwing good money after bad?

Bear in mind who its shareholders are, with Norwegian Govt or connected parts owning a good stake.

Wonder is a LC Airline who buys Boeing interested. I am sure Boeing would be "open" to discussions longer term.

Leeds Spotter
6th Feb 2019, 16:43
The price being paid for new capital is that all the new planes on order, i think 195 in total have been offered to other airlines.
In addition a list of assets for sale is to be drawn up and a list of routes to go. Similar of Monarchs plans to safe themselves.
Papers already think the transatlantic routes from the u..k. are top of the list to sell, especially in respect of the companies ownership, although last fridays e.u. announcement on ownership has given all airlines more breathing time.
The E.U. ruling IAG a european airline after the 29th March, may have been a factor in IAG selling all their shareholding and withdrawing from making a bid.
I was in Norway last month and can well understand the huge issues in handling the Euro, Pound and Dollar against the Norwegian Kroner, Dollar revenue to purchase fuel, you would think vital it maintains its States link.

tigertanaka
6th Feb 2019, 16:54
The price being paid for new capital is that all the new planes on order, i think 195 in total have been offered to other airlines.
In addition a list of assets for sale is to be drawn up and a list of routes to go. Similar of Monarchs plans to safe themselves.
Papers already think the transatlantic routes from the u..k. are top of the list to sell, especially in respect of the companies ownership, although last fridays e.u. announcement on ownership has given all airlines more breathing time.
The E.U. ruling IAG a european airline after the 29th March, may have been a factor in IAG selling all their shareholding and withdrawing from making a bid.
I was in Norway last month and can well understand the huge issues in handling the Euro, Pound and Dollar against the Norwegian Kroner, Dollar revenue to purchase fuel, you would think vital it maintains its States link.

Can an airline sell a route? Or were you referring to the (mainly LGW) slots?

toledoashley
6th Feb 2019, 17:06

What you have said makes sense, especially if easyJet are aiming to pick up the bulk of the 320 order. When referencing the ‘UK transatlantic’ is the first to be sold, I presume you are effectively meaning aircraft + slots + aoc?

Do Norwegian have aircraft about to roll off the assembly line?

EIFFS
6th Feb 2019, 20:11
Well the official news out of Oslo today is that 12 of next years (2020) 24 Max are to be deferred until 23/24, MAX deliveries this year will continue, but will replace some older NG’s

Some A321NeoLR will also be delayed

January pax numbers up 13% against capacity growth of 27%

trading update scheduled tomorrow I believe