PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to that 767 captain…

Winkiepinkie
16th Jul 2002, 16:35
Does anyone remember about a year or two ago that Britannia 76’ captain (pretty sure it was Britannia) got fired because he flew over/near his house for his son/daughter’s birthday, and a load of people rang in thinking the aircraft was in trouble?

I don’t think he broke any rules but was fired all the same. Would he have got another job flying elsewhere or was that the definitive end to his flying career altogether? What happens in situations like these?

Just curious. Thanks a bunch to anyone who replies.

W

Localiser Green
18th Jul 2002, 11:35
From what I remember in a magazine article (can't find it now)this was more like 4 - 5 years ago.

As I understand he was dismissed and as far as I know he was also prosecuted for "recklessly or negligently endangering life" under the air navigation order.

Flew an empty 767 over Congleton @ 2,000ft AMSL after departure from EGCC to celebrate the effoh's daughters birthday party...

I imagine it was the end of his flying career, maybe not though.

canberra
18th Jul 2002, 17:39
i took a low flying complaint about a chinook that did 3 circuits of his parents house for his dads birthday! the person who complained said that she wasnt going to complain but it was seeing all about it on the front page of the local paper that made her mind up. i know that the chief of the air staff wasnt very impressed when he heard about it!

millerscourt
20th Jul 2002, 04:31
Loc Green What a load of tosh. The Captain in question committed no offence whatsoever but because of media attention caused by hysterical onlookers he was asked to resign by Britannia. Far from it being the end of his career he would probably say in retrospect it was the best thing that ever happened to him although at the time no doubt it was a somewhat stressfull event.
He joined Air Mauritius and then ASL Cathay Cargo on B747-200 and I believe then joined a Japanese Cargo carrier paying big money where I assume he still is . A lot better than flogging up and down to the Greek Island or the Canaries night after night and far better rewarded.

Winkiepinkie
22nd Jul 2002, 13:53
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

W

411A
22nd Jul 2002, 16:25
Hmmm, or to put it another way, the low flying idiot, has now changed jobs at least three times....in a rather short time frame.

Maybe Britannia is better off without him.:rolleyes:

Stan Woolley
22nd Jul 2002, 18:31
Far from being an idiot, the gentleman in question was a pleasure to be around and a respected operator.

Last time I spoke to him he was very contented on the 74.

Rowley Birkin, QC
23rd Jul 2002, 10:36
I should think he's better off without Britannia. I had the misfortune to meet one particular Britannia 76 training captain. And what a sheer pleasure it was to make his aquaintance. Not.