View Full Version : Thomas Cook-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Grahamy
10th Oct 2019, 13:21
Good luck to Hays with taking on these stores. I don't expect all of them to stay open due to some of them only being doors away from existing Hays Travel stores, but it's a big vote of confidence in the High Street to be taking on a large amount of real estate in a time when most others are retreating. I do hope many of the former store staff who are yet to find work are taken on again.

I will second that , i really do hope that Hays Travel make this work. I know i said yesterday that it was the stores that brought TC down & i still believe that they did , Going Places & the takeover of the co-op travel group left them with too many stores. Hays will be making store closures in the coming months , there's no doubt about it.
The Metrocentre already has a Hays travel shop & 2 Thomas Cook shops that are less than a 60 second walk from each other

USERNAME_
10th Oct 2019, 13:38
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1012/4128f5e2_038c_4942_affb_01cb662e6c12_fa8c1aa3075c7d86407c75c 1c2a5a01ef3606f5a.jpeg
Just seen this on our company Facebook group. Surely as it’s a TC Scandinavia aircraft, they can’t scrap it?

LiamNCL
10th Oct 2019, 14:10
I will second that , i really do hope that Hays Travel make this work. I know i said yesterday that it was the stores that brought TC down & i still believe that they did , Going Places & the takeover of the co-op travel group left them with too many stores. Hays will be making store closures in the coming months , there's no doubt about it.
The Metrocentre already has a Hays travel shop & 2 Thomas Cook shops that are less than a 60 second walk from each other

Hays have been looking for a bigger shop in the Metrocentre anyway so expect their current one to close.

sixchannel
10th Oct 2019, 16:26
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1012/4128f5e2_038c_4942_affb_01cb662e6c12_fa8c1aa3075c7d86407c75c 1c2a5a01ef3606f5a.jpeg
Just seen this on our company Facebook group. Surely as it’s a TC Scandinavia aircraft, they can’t scrap it?
at 19 yrs, it's not OLD old - just middle aged.
I guess it all depends WHO was to pay for this maintainance - TCX or TC Scand.
I assume the Administrators have a 'lien' on it on behalf of ex-TCX for work done fiforr TC Scand.
Unless its its a real 'dog' on a 'C' it must be worth more to finish the work off and sell the airfame a 'going concern'.

Wycombe
11th Oct 2019, 07:52
....noted a UK-reg'd ex-TCX 330 (CHTZ) positioning MAN-NQY on Weds evening. 3 x 321's (at least) now at QLA.

brian_dromey
11th Oct 2019, 08:13
at 19 yrs, it's not OLD old - just middle aged.
I guess it all depends WHO was to pay for this maintainance - TCX or TC Scand.
I assume the Administrators have a 'lien' on it on behalf of ex-TCX for work done fiforr TC Scand.
Unless its its a real 'dog' on a 'C' it must be worth more to finish the work off and sell the airfame a 'going concern'.

Do we know if this was an owned or leased? If its a leased aircraft the decision to pay, or not to pay, for maintenance to be completed will be the lessor. One would assume they want their asset back. The A332 isn't massively desirable, the A333 is preferred. With new generation 787 and A350 now coming on-line in significant numbers and rumors that Boeing has a significant number of potential 787-9 white-tails these aircraft may be worth more as parts, than in one piece, a number of young 737-700s and A319s have been scrapped for parts. Strange but true.

chrism20
15th Oct 2019, 07:11
The Business Select Committee meets this morning and Thomas Cook management will be attending.

Its on BBC Parliament from 9am

EI-BUD
15th Oct 2019, 07:37
Do we know if this was an owned or leased? If its a leased aircraft the decision to pay, or not to pay, for maintenance to be completed will be the lessor. One would assume they want their asset back. The A332 isn't massively desirable, the A333 is preferred. With new generation 787 and A350 now coming on-line in significant numbers and rumors that Boeing has a significant number of potential 787-9 white-tails these aircraft may be worth more as parts, than in one piece, a number of young 737-700s and A319s have been scrapped for parts. Strange but true.

Hi brian_dromey
I wouldn't be so sure that a 332 even of this vintage wouldn't be so desirable. There isn't huge availability of 330's on the market (agreed that 333 is far more desirable), besides repayments on a lease on a second hand 330 could be in the range of 25% of the ongoing cost of a new 787/350. Not all carriers are well placed to access new machines either. Finally to say the case for a new 787/350 stacks up on longer sectors, probably in excess of 8/9 hours. Aer Lingus is a good case in point. They ditched 350 orders in favour of 330 family. In their case while 333 is preferred, the 332 is a great plane for new and developing routes.

Yeehaw22
15th Oct 2019, 08:36
Oy-vkh is a 300. But at nigh on 20 years old at the utilisation that the likes of thomas cook usually achieve. It's probably well north of 80-90 thousand hours. So not surprising it's being parted out really.

PAXboy
15th Oct 2019, 10:46
BBC
Last month, tour firm Thomas Cook went out of business, putting 9,000 jobs in the UK at risk. But Hays Travel has taken over its 500-plus travel shops and says it will continue to employ up to 2,500 of the people who work in them.
I am glad that Hays have taken some staff on but they must look to the future and plan for fewer shops. The top and bottom of the market may still continue to use shops but (my guess) 80%+ of the market will not. The Internet has been around in a mass market way for 20+ years and the folks who like to use shops declines with every season.

KelvinD
15th Oct 2019, 14:15
I watched the Thomas Cook "culprits" being grilled by the Business etc committee this morning and they were put through the mill. Rachel Reeves at one point virtually accused them of fiddling the books by moving items such as the massive debt to a part of the accounts where they would not spoil a rosy glow the accounts out on their annual figures. The debts were in the accounts but were not deducted from the bottom line.
At one point she told the Board members that she had heard them say "Sorry" quite enough and didn't want to hear it any more. She wanted answers to questions about how they conducted business.
It was a shame the TV coverage didn't go on longer as the TC Board were getting a thorough savaging from all members of the committee.

RealFish
15th Oct 2019, 14:22
[QUOTE=KelvinD;10594942]...It was a shame the TV coverage didn't go on longer as the TC Board were getting a thorough savaging from all members of the committee.[/QUOTE

You can watch it again on Parliament TV, in all of its glory. [Link]
https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/cc3c6717-0c35-4342-8306-24f05783aa0d

jijpc
15th Oct 2019, 20:54
[QUOTE=KelvinD;10594942]...It was a shame the TV coverage didn't go on longer as the TC Board were getting a thorough savaging from all members of the committee.[/QUOTE

You can watch it again on Parliament TV, in all of its glory. [Link]
https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/cc3c6717-0c35-4342-8306-24f05783aa0d

The full version is also being shown on BBC Parliament this evening so will be available on the iPlayer

Confirmed Must Ride
16th Oct 2019, 07:20
From speaking to someone who has been before a select committee you are briefed beforehand to constantly apologise and agree.

goldeneye
16th Oct 2019, 09:33
When is Manny and Harriet up before SC ?

paully
16th Oct 2019, 10:16
When is Manny and Harriet up before SC ?

12th of Never as the song says.......they are both long gone

goldeneye
16th Oct 2019, 11:03
12th of Never as the song says.......they are both long gone

They are to give evidence in front of the Select Committee, was mentioned by the chair at the end of tuesday’s sitting.

Wickerbill
16th Oct 2019, 11:17
The Select Committee hearing was no more than a public telling-off for the former board of Thomas Cook. A number of the panel, and in particular the Chair (Reeves), just kept asserting their pre-determined view and in many cases appeared not to listen or accept, even to a degree, the answers they were given. I do question the relevance of such an enquiry.

JSCL
16th Oct 2019, 13:52
The Select Committee hearing was no more than a public telling-off for the former board of Thomas Cook. A number of the panel, and in particular the Chair (Reeves), just kept asserting their pre-determined view and in many cases appeared not to listen or accept, even to a degree, the answers they were given. I do question the relevance of such an enquiry.

I must agree. People are always quick to blame the Chief Exec, but I'm sure some of you recall the emotional footage of Peter on the 'doomsday' when it became clear that TC could not continue.

I would argue that as a man who took most of his bonus in shares and looking at his remuneration package over the past three years, he was actually underpaid given the size of the business. He could have easily jumped elsewhere for more money.... but he didn't. The fact is, to attract quality management, you have to pay the right price. Just because there's huge disparity between that and a basic staffers salary does not mean that it's unfair he received it. But alas it's not unusual in this situations for the top management to get swords thrown at them from all angles and I'm certain based on my knowledge that the committee has two angles of attack. 1) A Labour party that wants to be the 'party of the people' and 2) A Conservative party that wants to shift away the notion that the Gov could have done more.

tigertanaka
16th Oct 2019, 19:41
Bidding has closed in the Thomas Cook slot auction. This includes 15 slot pairs at LGW.

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-liquidators-land-bids-for-uk-airport-slots-11837155

MKY661
17th Oct 2019, 13:05
According to Planespotters, all 6 A320's for Thomas Cook Balearics will transfer to Condor

ATIS
17th Oct 2019, 14:34
Any info on the fate of Palma based crew?

speedstick
17th Oct 2019, 23:46
According to Planespotters, all 6 A320's for Thomas Cook Balearics will transfer to Condor

3 to Condor, 3 to Thomas Cook Aviation

USERNAME_
18th Oct 2019, 13:24
Any info on the fate of Palma based crew?

Cabin crews have been absorbed either into Condor, and some are with Avion Express on temp contract.

SWBKCB
1st Nov 2019, 17:48
The name of the collapsed holiday firm Thomas Cook is to live on after the brand was bought up by the Chinese owner of Club Med for £11m. Fosun Tourism Group said the acquisition of "one of the most well-known tourism brands around the world" would enable it to expand its foothold in the travel business. According to the deal, the assets bought include the trademarks, domain names, software applications, social media accounts and licences relating to the 178-year-old British travel company.

The agreement comes after liquidators of Thomas Cook rebuffed an approach from rival TUI (https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-liquidator-fails-to-click-on-tui-offer-11849140)to buy the firm's internet domain name.

Sky News - Thomas Cook name to live on after £11m brand buyout by Fosun (https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-name-to-live-on-after-11m-brand-buyout-by-fosun-11851227)

DanAir89
1st Nov 2019, 20:04
Sky News - Thomas Cook name to live on after £11m brand buyout by Fosun (https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-name-to-live-on-after-11m-brand-buyout-by-fosun-11851227)
interesting article beside it too about TUI resuming Ssh Feb 2020...

pabely
2nd Nov 2019, 07:13
interesting article beside it too about TUI resuming Ssh Feb 2020...
SSH, that bit I can't wait for! Almost bought property there 15 years ago.

VickersVicount
24th Jan 2020, 10:47
Slightly surprised LOT owner the confirmed new investor in Condor.
Didnt really see LOT being a cash rich expander. Interesting to see what that might mean for future fleet purchases/renewals. A 787 in Condor would look smart...

VickersVicount
25th Jan 2020, 17:22
Glad Greybull assumed not to be involved in the final confirmed successful bid (those some saying they are?)

jonnyrobbo
14th Mar 2020, 17:29
Are the A330s still parked up ar Manchester?

Scottie Dog
14th Mar 2020, 17:46
The one that was stuck in the hangar undergoing maintenance has now been flown to Copenhagen.

jonnyrobbo
14th Mar 2020, 19:22
The one that was stuck in the hangar undergoing maintenance has now been flown to Copenhagen.
which one was this plz?

EZY7117LPL
14th Mar 2020, 19:24
Are the A330s still parked up ar Manchester?

Yes, G-OMYT, G-MLJL and G-MDBD are still parked up together at Manchester although they’ve now been moved over towards T2 on some new stands that have opened as part of the transformation programme.

Gurnard
14th Mar 2020, 20:16
which one was this plz?
It was OY-VKH.

zfw
15th Mar 2020, 14:30
Yes, G-OMYT, G-MLJL and G-MDBD are still parked up together at Manchester although they’ve now been moved over towards T2 on some new stands that have opened as part of the transformation programme.

Seemed to be some work going on, on the nearest to T2 this morning, not sure whether is was preparatory or just general.

SWBKCB
19th Mar 2020, 07:33
The National Audit Office (NAO) said the government had agreed to pay £83m towards the cost of getting customers back home, as well as £58m in redundancy and related payments. But the final cost is not yet known. Other costs include at least £15m for liquidating the business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51955635

davidjohnson6
2nd Apr 2020, 17:51
Thomas Cook Aviation in Germany has filed for bankruptcy after Condor cancelled the flying contract for S20
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/thomas-cook-group/coronavirus-thomas-cook-aviation-files-for-bankruptcy/

VickersVicount
13th Apr 2020, 15:38
curtains for Condor as LOT pull out of buyout...

davidjohnson6
13th Apr 2020, 15:43
While LOT publicly stating they are pulling out of the Condor purchase was to some extent expected, it's definitely bad news for Condor.
However, there is the (small) possibility that the German Govt will give some sort of further bailout to Condor.... I wouldn't write Condor off *quite* yet

PDXCWL45
13th Apr 2020, 16:37
While LOT publicly stating they are pulling out of the Condor purchase was to some extent expected, it's definitely bad news for Condor.
However, there is the (small) possibility that the German Govt will give some sort of further bailout to Condor.... I wouldn't write Condor off *quite* yet
Apparently the German government are prepared to nationalise Condor.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21J5F9

ATNotts
14th Apr 2020, 08:39
Apparently the German government are prepared to nationalise Condor.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21J5F9

If you believe certain segments of UK opinion that simply isn't possible as an EU member. Curiously, if the Reuters report turns out not to be fake news, (and Reuters are one of the most respected news agencies) that's another myth blown wide open.

rog747
14th Apr 2020, 09:11
Reuters quote - Nationalising Condor would only be for a limited time as Germany aims to restart a sales process as soon as the stranglehold on the travel industry from the coronavirus pandemic has eased, the sources said.

ATNotts
14th Apr 2020, 09:27
Reuters quote - Nationalising Condor would only be for a limited time as Germany aims to restart a sales process as soon as the stranglehold on the travel industry from the coronavirus pandemic has eased, the sources said.

Obviously at some stage we'll find out just how open ended that "limited time" turns out to be. Clearly the name and reputation of Condor almost qualifies them with the epithet "national treasure", you only need to look at how long Thomas Cook group took the revert the airline to it's traditional name after they experimented with rebranding. The German government isn't about to allow them to go down the tubes, certainly not without a fight. You could with some justification say that Thomas Cook, as a name and a business was held on a similar pedestal in UK eyes (even though it had long been flogged off) and it would have been possible for HMG to have done similar at the time of the debacle but the UK government doesn't do things that way, which in some respects is a shame as it has lead to the demise of too many UK businesses, not just within the travel industry.

The result is of course that many people lost their jobs and the livelihoods.

rog747
14th Apr 2020, 09:44
Yes Condor has always been seen as a German national treasure, strong brand etc.

LH was sniffing around to get them off TCK before their collapse but LH pulled away - same time as VAA/VS was looking at TCK airlines UK.

Imagegear
15th Apr 2020, 10:50
G-TCXC is about to land at Newquay coming from Copenhagen. - cheaper Parking?

Mr @ Spotty M
15th Apr 2020, 11:10
Could be but could also be for scheduled maintenance.

cornishsimon
15th Apr 2020, 15:18
Storage. MX or part out at sts

cs

ETOPS
18th Nov 2020, 14:04
Just seen a short video of A330 G-MLJL being scrapped at MAN. Starboard wing was severed just outboard of the pylon and fell to ground............:uhoh:

jonnyrobbo
18th Nov 2020, 16:21
Just seen a short video of A330 G-MLJL being scrapped at MAN. Starboard wing was severed just outboard of the pylon and fell to ground............:uhoh:
would you mind sharing a link please?

ETOPS
18th Nov 2020, 17:15
I’m not sure I have permission - will look around for other versions

CaptainDoony
18th Nov 2020, 17:20
would you mind sharing a link please?

Several videos on Twitter - just search for G-MLJL and several vids will show up